Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Being both employed and self employed at the same time

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

jimspeed
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:25 - 15 Aug 2020    Post subject: Being both employed and self employed at the same time Reply with quote

Hi guys I'm employed full time as a mechanic, but do a few remaps on the side (using works equipment with permission) now this has grown a bit and I find myself doing more so want to go on my own with the remapping side of things.
Is it as simple as just registering with hmrc the name of the business and myself as self employed or am I missing something, obviously I'll need to do a tax return each year.
I will remain employed as my main job .
Hyosung cruise 125(passed test on, sold) Kawasaki el 252 (better than expected but sold on) Kawasaki GPZ500S first "big"bike.(sold) ZZR600 E5..Z750 2007,ER5, currently on a 2008 Enfield bullet electra x and loving it..
,"Alpha-9: Is there any correlation between dyno rod and dyno kits?"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:05 - 15 Aug 2020    Post subject: Re: Being both employed and self employed at the same time Reply with quote

jimspeed wrote:
Hi guys I'm employed full time as a mechanic, but do a few remaps on the side (using works equipment with permission) now this has grown a bit and I find myself doing more so want to go on my own with the remapping side of things.
Is it as simple as just registering with hmrc the name of the business and myself as self employed or am I missing something, obviously I'll need to do a tax return each year.
I will remain employed as my main job .

You'll need to do a self assessment tax return every year but thats about it.

You don't need to register a business with HMRC to be self employed.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:42 - 15 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might I ask why you want to go self employed, do you like paying tax?

How is your boss likely to treat your use of his kit if you go legit?

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:38 - 15 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why in the name of god would you volunteer the income from extra work to those HMRC scum? Unless you know somebody's likely to grass you up I can only assume you're one of those craven cap-doffing serfs so common in this shithouse of a country.

jimspeed
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:42 - 15 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:

Well he has already started to get a bit "off" about it so I want to buy my own and set up my own account with Celtic tuning, I'm thinking that at some point somebody will want to see their accounts. But I dont know if I would be worrying over nothing really.
Hyosung cruise 125(passed test on, sold) Kawasaki el 252 (better than expected but sold on) Kawasaki GPZ500S first "big"bike.(sold) ZZR600 E5..Z750 2007,ER5, currently on a 2008 Enfield bullet electra x and loving it..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:53 - 15 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimspeed wrote:
mentalboy wrote:

Well he has already started to get a bit "off" about it so I want to buy my own and set up my own account with Celtic tuning, I'm thinking that at some point somebody will want to see their accounts. But I dont know if I would be worrying over nothing really.

That makes sense, you can write off outlays against tax so you'd have to be putting in some hours to owe the tax man anything for a short while. All the stuff you've been buying for your employed work but couldn't put against tax before ( such as gloves, hand cleaner, tools, protective head gear - like that spanking new Arai you've been eyeing up Wink ) are now fair game...

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:31 - 15 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put as much stuff through my business as I can get away with.

You'll be needing a new SLR for documenting your work Wink

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:25 - 15 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can register for self-assessment. Alternatively and possibly more lucrative in your case, speak to an accountant. Depending on your position, he/she may suggest that you form a Ltd Co with yourself and potentially your good lady (assumed) as shareholders.

The trick is to make no profit/pay no tax out of the Ltd Co. Invest everything you do make on new gear, then once you are set up properly, begin to make a taxable profit.

defblade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:21 - 16 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get public liability insurance. (Can be offset against tax)

jimspeed
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:37 - 18 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys some good advice here, I will speak to an accountant ASAP and see what is suggested, I will get the right insurance too.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 254 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1