Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Restoring Scratched Visor

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Tamsin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Mar 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:16 - 11 Jul 2014    Post subject: Restoring Scratched Visor Reply with quote

So my visor has a few scratches on it, just about enough to catch your fingernail in if you run them over.... Its at a point where its an annoyance rather than dangerous and I did think about replacing it but its nearly as much for a new helmet (which I am saving up for anyway)

Are there any good tricks that I can use to minimise the visual disruption from the scratches for a couple of months until I can afford a new lid?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Shinigami
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:51 - 11 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

from when I was looking for the same the answer was basically no
____________________
Current: Honda City Fly CLR125 2003 Honda CB600F Hornet 2008 Yamaha FZ6 S2 + 1991 Kawasaki GPZ500
"Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:57 - 11 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try heat.

I'm not saying that you should.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Conzar
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:57 - 11 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a new one.

https://www.moto24.co.uk/marushin-visor-400-777-800.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwlv6dBRDC7rGfrvidmJgBEiQAjd3hMEpCoN-cr16WWmBKUsAufKgfUdmwuY1mDmIBvPYgzsgaAtRi8P8HAQ
____________________
Current ride: ZX6R 636 ------- Previous:KTM EXC 450 Supermoto --- ZX6R B1H --Hornet 600--CBR 600--SV650
11:05:35 Rob Fzs: i just wanna own an rd350 valve before they send us to war with durkadurkastan
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:09 - 11 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Live with it until cash allows replacement.

How did it get scratched in the first place? Reason I ask is mine got scratched because someone at our house threw their gloves onto the helmet shelf..doesn't help when gloves have hard knuckle protection.

Yes, I've since had words with myself.
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:48 - 11 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

File it under B for bin. Thumbs Up
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tamsin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Mar 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:08 - 11 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, I really dont want to buy a new visor as I'll be replacing the lid anyway in 4-8 weeks....
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:18 - 11 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

MissTamsin wrote:
As I said, I really dont want to buy a new visor as I'll be replacing the lid anyway in 4-8 weeks....


Learn to live with it for 4 weeks.
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Tamsin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Mar 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:26 - 11 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it gets to be a bit too much I'll just ditch it entirely and invest in some clear glasses
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

rideslikean00...
Nearly there...



Joined: 26 May 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:32 - 11 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The visor on my Shark lid is getting a bit scratched, not really bothered as it's sunglasses season anyway. Flies hitting forehead at high speeds on twisty country lanes is a bit annoying though.
____________________
.
Previous/Current Bikes
2013 Yamaha YBR-125ED -> 1997 Yamaha YZF-1000R Thunderace -> 2009 Yamaha XJ-6 Diversion -> 2007 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer S2
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

weirdomagnet
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 08 Apr 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:25 - 11 Jul 2014    Post subject: visor Reply with quote

I have the same problem but my helmet is 1985 simpson bandit with the original black visor and there now like rocking horse shit to find new and very expensive if I do find one!! what about plastic cleaner for car head lights etc? or T cut maybe?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hachi8
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 08 Jan 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:05 - 11 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meguiars PlastX.......will remove most the scratches and leave it clear.

I used it originally on my car headlight lenses but also tried it on my visors and works a treat.
____________________
K7 GSXR 1000 - The Beast!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pdg
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:10 - 11 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

BodyGuard wrote:
Ride with it open if it is that much of an annoyance or would that be too dangerous?


It's you that's the dangerous annoyance.

Fuck off, cunt.
____________________
Any and all advice given should not be followed - if you have to ask it means you don't know so get a man in to do it for you.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 May 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:37 - 11 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdg wrote:

Fuck off, cunt.


Do you charge for your services?
If not, you should, you would make a fortune off the BodyGuard situation alone. Very Happy
____________________
The above post is most likely nonsensical.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Fifteen15
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:07 - 12 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have quite a big scratch on mine, I just got used to it, I don't notice it anymore. My visors usually covered in flies and shit anyway.
____________________
"Pain is weakness leaving the body, and blood makes the grass grow faster...but I'll wear my gear anyway"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:23 - 12 Jul 2014    Post subject: Re: visor Reply with quote

weirdomagnet wrote:
... my helmet is 1985 simpson bandit...


Museum piece?
____________________
Bandit. does. everything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

smegballs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:57 - 12 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every few years when my strimmer visor gets so scratched it's pissing me off, I use T-Cut to get rid of the worst of the scratches.

The strimmer visor is a polycarb visor like most bike visors so should work the same I reckon.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tamsin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Mar 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:37 - 12 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds a bit random but knowing that toothpaste is a mild abrasive I spent about half an hour going over the whole thing with it and a clean tissue and it's like new when in use now. Scratches still visible from the outside but they make no difference from the inside
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:43 - 12 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

MissTamsin wrote:
Sounds a bit random but knowing that toothpaste is a mild abrasive I spent about half an hour going over the whole thing with it and a clean tissue and it's like new when in use now. Scratches still visible from the outside but they make no difference from the inside


Tried it at night?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tamsin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Mar 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:44 - 12 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Didn't get out of the office till very late.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

deadwolf
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 24 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:07 - 12 Jul 2014    Post subject: Re: visor Reply with quote

weirdomagnet wrote:
I have the same problem but my helmet is 1985 simpson bandit with the original black visor and there now like rocking horse shit to find new and very expensive if I do find one!! what about plastic cleaner for car head lights etc? or T cut maybe?


This Canadian/Japanese company managed to acquire the license to make and distribute Simpson helmets, including old stuff like the M30 (Darth Vader thingy). Might be worth checking them out, I'm sure they do visors too Thumbs Up
____________________
Motorsapien Art
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:10 - 12 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

MissTamsin wrote:
Yep. Didn't get out of the office till very late.


Awesome.

And there were no probs with car headlights?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:30 - 12 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not see the big deal about replacing a scratched visor. It'll only cost around £25 quids. Consider that cheap, my Schuberth needs a new visor soon as it has a couple of scratches and the cheapest I have found to replace it is £60 Shocked
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 89 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.48 Sec - Server Load: 0.52 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 126.82 Kb