Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike Touring

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to Touring & Exploration by Korn (9 Nov 2005 - 18:56)
View previous topic : View next topic  

XS1954
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:04 - 22 Jul 2004    Post subject: Bike Touring Reply with quote

I am planning on doing a bit of touring in August but staying in the UK. I was planning on going to Scotland but have never stayed away with the bike. My question is, do b&b's welcome bikers and has anyone had problems with scally's/scum messing with the bikes whilst they are parked up? Second question, does anyone have any good routes with ideas where to stay?

Shade_BW
I'm better than you

PostPosted: 20:15 - 22 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recommendation is to find people on here who are willing to put you up for the night, and then plan a route that can take you to their house at the end of the days travelling.

That way you get to see the country, meet people from here, and don't have to worry about BnBs etc.

Shade
Frugal
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Blue
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:33 - 22 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking for biker-friendly hotels and B&Bs, there's several web sites that could be of use.

Or you could get hold of a brilliant little book by Peter Gleave called 'Motorcyclists Welcome' which lists accommodation (and what they offer - secure parking, bike anchors, etc) as well as dealers, local runs and other stuff. It's published by Haynes and it's about twelve quid, but well worth it - the best guide I've found.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 21:48 - 22 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If travelling to Scotland what I can highly recommend is turning up a the local tourist information office. They keep a list of B&Bs. You give them an idea of how much you'd like to spend (as they also do hotels) and they'll 'phone and book for you. You pay them a fee (about a couple of pounds) but this gets knocked off your accomodation cost. You then get directions and you go and check-in. I try and get to the info office for about 4pm in the afternoon. This leaves me time to get a place to stay and have another ride around in the evening.

I've done this a few times and had no problems. The only trouble is maybe going up a few pounds on the accomodation if the cheap stuff is full. The ones I've stayed at have either kept my bike undercover or made sure it's safe off road.
Booking at the tourist info offices means you're free to change your plans. If there's somewhere you really need to be you can use them to book ahead.

Bear in mind further north you go the better the road but harder the accodation may be to find.

HTH Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dandit
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:35 - 22 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

sod the b&bs get a tent and have fun Laughing

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 10:36 - 23 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

dandit wrote:
sod the b&bs get a tent...

Upside of B&Bs:
    No extra luggage, big plus depending on your bike
    Some else cooks breakfast
    Nice comfy bed - NO midges, I repeat NO midgets Wink
Downside of B&Bs
    Extra money

Oh, have I mentioned how nice it is having a drink in the evening in Scotland with NO midges Smile

On the other hand why not try both. I know a couple who took some camping gear and then after the first few nights posted it home ! Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:42 - 23 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I repeat NO midgets

Some people would pay extra...

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 10:46 - 23 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarmacsurfer wrote:
Quote:
I repeat NO midgets

Some people would pay extra...
Oops... Embarassed Rolling Eyes Very Happy
Ta for making me laugh at myself - spell chuckers eh, who needs 'em.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 279 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1