Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Assaulted by another biker who tried pulling me off my bike.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:30 - 07 Aug 2014    Post subject: Assaulted by another biker who tried pulling me off my bike. Reply with quote

Wall of text follows - TL:DR at the bottom.

This evening I was riding home from work along my usual route, the roads were nice and clear and I was just enjoying a decent paced ride. So anyway, there's a set of lights on a dual carriageway that goes into three lanes for a junction (creating a dedicated lane for turning right) Streetview here:
https://tinyurl.com/ow4epu9

There are 4 cars and a KTM990 queuing to turn right (In this order - CAR - CAR - BIKE - CAR - CAR) - the filter light is currently red, lanes 1 & 2 are clear and the lights are green [to go straight ahead] - nothing is in front and nothing is behind - it's an empty road aside from the five vehicles sat in the filter lane - I know this junction very well and the sequence of the lights, joining the back of the queue would mean I'd possibly have to sit through another sequence of the lights (people dawdle getting away and the filter light isn't green for very long - but more to the point I knew I could get through without needing to stop) - I noticed from a way back that the two 'straight on' lanes were clear and the lights were green - I also knew the filter lights were about to go green (as is the sequence) - there are no cars behind me and lanes 1&2 were clear so I moved out of the filter lane (3) and back into lane 2 in order to nip around as the lights changed (is doing this _that_ naughty?) - I get to the front of the cars just as the filter lane goes green and the lead car slowly moves off - I keep rolling and turn right and go on my way, no horns were blasted, no kittens were harmed, everyone was happy/indifferent - or so I thought.

I accelerated briskly up to the speed limit and settled behind a van that was travelling along the road and went with the flow behind him, there was no reason to overtake him as the road was flowing well. That's when I glanced in my mirror and saw the KTM approaching at a ridiculous rate of knots - he then slams on his brakes and sits close behind - at one point he gets so close I pull over to the left in order for him to go past but I just hear him start shrieking something inaudible - this is when I start to realise I've probably got a problem brewing.
It's important to note that I don't care about him speeding, but this whole issue is because he wants to tell me how to ride correctly and that I shouldn't turn right like that - he clearly went _way_ beyond the speed limit in order to catch me (he was stationary and had to sit in line as the two lead cars pulled away - then overtake the cars and catch me - bearing in mind I already had a decent paced rolling start on him and I didn't mess about getting up to the speed limit) - he wouldn't go past and just stayed uncomfortably close to me, so when it was clear I filtered past a couple of cars to see what he did - he followed suit and just started slowing down/speeding up (Maybe to show me how fast his bike was?) - he's clearly being aggressive now and I just want to get away, I don't know who he is and I don't really fancy getting into a fight about some non-issue.

I see a queue of cars approaching a mini-roundabout so I take the opportunity to try and get away from him - I filtered past them briskly, get behind the van nearest the junction (who happens to turn right) and then I make a left turn after he's cleared out of the way - I noticed in my mirror that he doesn't filter very well and he looked very hesitant getting past the cars, he doesn't manage to keep up with me and I lose sight of him for a few moments as I take the turn and get on my way (he's queuing with the cars) - I take the opportunity to overtake another car and then settle down at the speed limit thinking that might be that - but then I notice the KTM approaching in the wrong lane at high speed once more.
I'm hoping that he just goes past but he doesn't - instead he sits in the other lane close to my rear wheel (this is a normal 2-way road) - I'm not really sure what to do at this point, he's on a bike that's got twice the power of my NC700 but I get the impression he's a new rider (it appears he can't filter very well) so I see an opportunity to try and lose him - there's a sharp 90-degree right-hand bend up ahead and a BMW in front of me, so as we approach the bend I pin it past the BMW and get around the bend (bit of late braking, I'd never normally do something like this but I deliberately left him absolutely no room to come with me) - he starts to follow but bails at the last moment and waits behind the BMW as I'd hoped - I see the opportunity to get away further, so I get past another car (again, a bit tight because there was a car approaching in the other direction, but I knew I could make it through relatively easily) - I get across a mini roundabout and up a hill - by this point he's quite a way back trying to overtake the cars - as I go over the crest of the hill I lose sight of him for a few moments, so I take the opportunity to dive down a side road and hope that he just goes past. I pootle down the side road and take a couple of turnings - I'm pretty confident that I've now lost him.

I know the general area and decided I'd head in the direction of the Co-Op to get some milk - this is when he suddenly appears in my mirror again (fuuuuuu....) - I stop the bike and he screeches up alongside - I say "What's up?" - he replies -"Does that camera record you as well?" whilst pointing at my camera - I get the immediate impression that he's about to snatch the camera from my helmet so I say a simple and clear "No" and pull away again - he then accelerates and pulls in front of me and cuts me off - I stop and say "What are you doing?" - he turns his bike off, puts the sidestand down and gets off - he then says in a faux-authorative tone "Overtaking..." whilst getting in my face - I'm not happy about being on my bike whilst he's standing next to me - so at this point I think balls to this I'm getting out of here - as I pull away he grabs [and bends] my mirror, then grabs my arm hard and tries to actually pull me off the bike, because I lose grip on the throttle for a moment he manages to grab the hand rails and tries to pull my bike over - I think he also punched my back at this point but he may have been trying to grab my jacket (he hit the armour so it wasn't painful) - I manage not to lose my balance (it was surprisingly difficult to keep it upright for a moment) - and I pull away but then realise that if I carry on it's probably going to be wacky races around small village roads, so I have no choice but to pull over - so I stop, turn off my bike, take the keys out and ask what the hell he's playing at - straight away he goes to the fact I overtook him at the lights (to turn right) and tries to lecture me about safe riding (WTF?!) - he then says the other bits I did weren't safe - I try to tell him that HE created the whole situation and that it's not normal for me to ride like that - I was doing it in order to get away from him.
He offers to have a fight, I say that we're grown men and I'm not going to fight like we're in a playground (I'm too old for this sh1t) more words are exchanged (I try to engage him a couple of times by being reasonable and asking if he uses bike forums or anything (to see if he happened to be a BCFer) - but he doesn't seem to understand what a forum is (his reply was "No, I use Essex Police" (?) and he continues to be a dick)
At one point he says he's concerned for my safety, that's why he chased me down (I pointed out the lulzy fact that he tried pulling me off my bike and offering to punch me, so I'm not buying the fact he's interested in my welfare) - he was going in and out of offering to fight me and then acting like a wannabe bike copper giving out sage advice.
It ends with him telling me he's going to knock me out - so I end it with "Fine, if that's how you're going to be" - and walk back to my bike. I turn it around and he's gone. (Finally)

The whole situation was properly bizarre (I have the whole thing on camera and will probably post it here at a later date (if you have 17 mins you want to waste watching it) - essentially he's causing a dangerous situation and assaulted me/damaged my bike because he wants to impart his words of wisdom on me.
I've slept on it and I'm still pondering whether or not I'm going to report him for the assault (there are minor bruises on my arm from where he was trying to pull me off the bike, but it's the whole chasing-down scenario that bothers me more)
Would you report him? Am I likely to be getting myself some points/fine for handing over footage of me speeding a couple of times (whilst trying to lose him) - and was the initial right turn an actual offence?

TL:DR - biker tries pulling me off.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:36 - 07 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google maps link to the right turn in question pls. Smile

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:39 - 07 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have lamped him but then I've a short temper when people without any authority try to tell me what to do. Laughing Also if someone tried to pull my bike over their's would end up on the floor.

You probably did the right thing by not engaging him. the filtering sounds like what I would do on a normal day. I do a manoeuvre like that every day coming out of Limehouse Link. Lets see the the video Thumbs Up

Cool Story bro. Thumbs Up

P.S. send the video to the police, cut out your dodgy riding if there is any that back and tell them you only started recording when you stopped because of how aggressive he was. Wink

Last edited by chris-red on 11:40 - 07 Aug 2014; edited 1 time in total
goto10 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Redundant). Unhide this post / all posts.
Pol Anorl This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Stobo91
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:41 - 07 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been on BCF for too long, but from what ive gauged so far, that video needs uploading Thumbs Up

He sounds like an absolute jacked up shithead but i don't think reporting him will do any good. Yes you may have been a little bit naughty at the filter light and it obviously pissed him off enough to send him into a child like mannered rage.

I can imagine it left you a little shook up but give it a little time and you should be able to look back at laugh at it. What's done is done and no one got hurt (badly) so take it on the chin and forget about it Thumbs Up

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:43 - 07 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

You hurt his pride and ego. You are a bastard for doing so. Hand your keys over to the first chav you find and never ride a bike ever again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:45 - 07 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulFzs wrote:
why not drop him on the spot and ride home triumphant...

Because sadly I'm not a ninja or any good at actual fighting.

Cadbury
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:46 - 07 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a strange way to behave over a non incident. Especially as he acknowledged your camera before trying to pull you off the bike.
Glad you got out of the situation without resorting to fistycuffs Thumbs Up
Pol Anorl This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

kris84
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:50 - 07 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pfft, suppose the filtering thing was a tad naughty, but tbh I'd have done the same thing. What a weird bloke, probably spent the entire night fuming, telling his mates down the pub how he showed another biker a thing or two!...

chris-red

PostPosted: 11:51 - 07 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:
PaulFzs wrote:
why not drop him on the spot and ride home triumphant...

Because sadly I'm not a ninja or any good at actual fighting.

You don't need to be good, fighting someone with bike gear on is easy. Grab the back of their lid and it pull it forward and down you can fairly easily get a good grip which they can get out of. They will try to stay on their feet while swinging (with no leverage and padded gloves on) and they will eventually go down on there front/side, you then boot them hard in the ribs/stomach to take the wind out of them kneel on them and call the police(I was told they call this the Nokia manoeuvre.) Thumbs Up

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:57 - 07 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread is useless along with being just a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw and CSB thread unless you...

SHARE THE VIDEO

Get it uploaded to youtube.

Last edited by CaNsA on 11:58 - 07 Aug 2014; edited 1 time in total
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

chris-red

PostPosted: 12:01 - 07 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

You don't need to be good, fighting someone with bike gear on is easy. Grab the back of their lid and it pull it forward and down you can fairly easily get a good grip which they can get out of. They will try to stay on their feet while swinging (with no leverage and padded gloves on) and they will eventually go down on there front/side, you then boot them hard in the ribs/stomach to take the wind out of them kneel on them and call the police(I was told they call this the Nokia manoeuvre.) Thumbs Up

PS You all should be aware of the above encase it happens to you, most people that want to start a fight and actually do will invariably have more fighting experience. You may think you are an armour clad hard man in your bike gear but helmets and gloves are more of a hinderance. No one in there right mind is going to punch someone in the helmet (unless they are pissed or proper mental.) If someone does grab your lid I'd say most of the time that would be game over. The only thing I can think of to avoid it charge at them and hope they fall over and you land on top of them. Always make sure you get off the bike ASAP when trouble is brewing one push and you are on the deck with a bike on top of you.

Last edited by chris-red on 12:11 - 07 Aug 2014; edited 1 time in total

chris-red

PostPosted: 12:03 - 07 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulFzs wrote:
Don't lean on them you can kill them!

was taught to do this on my sia course years ago then told shortly after not to do it after people started dieing lol.

just get them on the floor hand on their back face down not too hard, youe knee in the back of their knee joint, hold by the ankles and tell them to stay the fuck still, if they dont lift their leg up more and more they will soon stop.

TBH If someone attacks me I don't give a fuck for their safety I ain't gonna fuck about getting them in a safe approved hold and risk them attacking me again.

tbourner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:15 - 07 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lid makes a much better weapon with you holding it than a defence stuck on your head!

Question; what laws are you allowed to bend on a bike in this kind of situation? I know in a car you can use your mobile to phone 999 if you feel it's dangerous to stop, can you legally Road Rash someone or something on a bike if you feel threatened?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
goto10 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Boring). Unhide this post / all posts.

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:17 - 07 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly I don't think you did anything wrong - he could also have filtered past the cars at the right turn but chose to sit and wait. If I knew the area I would have probably ridden to the nearest cop shop, but then it's easy to say that when you're calmly sitting in front of a keyboard.

It's all very well people saying "I would have hit him", if he still had his helmet on that that wold have done no good. And you don't know if he's a cage fighter, not worth risking a scuffle with what is a potentially unhinged and aggressive trained martial artist (he's already shown you that he's unhinged, by chasing you down).

Not sure the Police would do much, I'd certainly not want to go through all that hassle just to get legal revenge on a complete bellend. But that's up to you of course.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Knacker
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:20 - 07 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is Worthless without the Video.

chris-red

PostPosted: 12:20 - 07 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baffler186 wrote:
Firstly I don't think you did anything wrong - he could also have filtered past the cars at the right turn but chose to sit and wait. If I knew the area I would have probably ridden to the nearest cop shop, but then it's easy to say that when you're calmly sitting in front of a keyboard.

It's all very well people saying "I would have hit him", if he still had his helmet on that that wold have done no good. And you don't know if he's a cage fighter, not worth risking a scuffle with what is a potentially unhinged and aggressive trained martial artist (he's already shown you that he's unhinged, by chasing you down).

Not sure the Police would do much, I'd certainly not want to go through all that hassle just to get legal revenge on a complete bellend. But that's up to you of course.

They might not do much but there would certainly get in contact with him, which might make then think twice about doing it again.

Tungtvann
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:21 - 07 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too long, so I didn't actually read, but you just filtered past him and he got the ass about it? You didn't cut him off or anything?
goto10 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Boring). Unhide this post / all posts.

beardface
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:24 - 07 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would of twatted him the minute he started gobbing off and intimidating me and then carried on my way.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 236 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 1 of 29