Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Dads '67 Triumph TR6R Trophy, ongoing project.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:06 - 20 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
chris-red wrote:
As an aside were the feck would one go to buy springs? Laughing

You mean you don't have a draw full of springs? I thought everybody had one?!

https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/DSC_0397_zps1hppfcy5.jpg

These should do the trick I reckon:

https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/DSC_0398_zps3kj6gr6v.jpg

Both 90mm give or take a shade. I'll pop both to yours as one is stiffer than the other.

My Hero, Thumbs Up

If you are about Thursday/Friday, you are welcome to take the finished project out for a spin, I just need to sort the fuelling properly as it is fouling plugs at the moment Thumbs Up

I found this guide which seems to make a lot of sense, I have been switching bits out all over the shop and tweaking settings while the Mainjet is still not right hopefully picking up the correct main ject tomorrow and will be plug chopping thursday. Thumbs Up

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:38 - 20 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be quite amazing if you're ok with it, I've wanted to have a little potter around on a classic bike for a while.

chris-red

PostPosted: 12:45 - 20 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah no probs, its fairly easy to ride, it isn't light but it is low. It's difficult to ride it quick, the engine feels more like a car engine, it is slow revving and gear changes are no where near as slick. You have to think about everything more as everything takes longer to do.

chris-red

PostPosted: 22:36 - 20 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a visit from the spring fairy, I have spent the evening in the garage fitting it. It is an utter CUNT of a job, access is naff and it was hard enough removing the old longer spring was hard enough. Coupled with the fact I have a knackered right wrist (I await the fapping jokes) I decided to remove the stand, attach the spring then lever the stand back into position. This took an age, the main stand has 2 bolts in such a tight space you can't get a ratchet on either side and the nut side you can't actually get the nut off without removing the bolt, which is made even more difficult because the the stand is threaded. Combine all that with you can only get about a 1/4 turn each time and you are working above your head to get at them makes it a pig.

Anyway long story short it's all on and feels better but I'm not convinced it as fixed the problem. TBH it looks like s design flaw, there is not enough difference between the spring length when the stand is up and when it is say 1/4 down. I'll see when I next take it out but it certainly is tighter, so should be better.

Big thanks to C_Dug Thumbs Up

chris-red

PostPosted: 09:31 - 21 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just found another spring in my letter box, I assume I missed it first time around, it also seem tighter still! Maybe I'll put both on (or get Steve to do it.) Laughing

chris-red

PostPosted: 14:28 - 24 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Final Straight now, just had a whale of a time sorting the rear brake.

Such a fucker to do.

I didn't get any photos unfortunately I'm shit at that.

The rear brake lever goes through a plate that acts as a pivot. This plate has 5 different bolts attaching it to the frame/engine swingarm. 4 of these require you to get a spanner on a nut behind to get it off and one of them on the front requires a spanner on the bolt as it doesn't clear the exhaust.

The nuts at the back are set all in between the frame swingarm, chain and rear brake linkage. It is incredibly awkward, even once you have removed everything the bottom bolt will not come out will out removing the exhaust, I left it to lose to get more access to the rear brake lever/linkage which I removed.

The lever has a square on it that fits into a matching square on an arm. this arm then connects to a rod which operates the brake.

The problem is both of the squares have deformed over time and now the fit is really loose.

I got it all out to see what I could do, realistically I need to find a new Rear brake lever (no chance) and make a new arm.

The square on the lever is the same size as the thread that the nut to hold it on uses so there was little I could do with that. I turned the rear arm around and the fit was better. However there is a kink in the arm to get it around one of the nuts holding the pivot on. I had to reverse this kink. I then called Steve to see if he had any input, he came over and came up with the idea of using a drift to burr the edges of the square over then file it back to make the fit tighter this also improved things. It is much better now however it isn't a permanent fix. I think I will have to get it re-engineered in the long run maybe the square rebuilt up with weld then cut square again, then cut a new arm. I'll post pictures of it all later.

Also managed to set the float bowl on fire which was interesting. We were trying to work out the problem with the charging system we had the panel with the ignition on off so we hot wired the bike again. in between all the starting and stopping of the bike at one point a spark from reconnecting the ignition caused a puff of flame from out the intake. It was funny, then smoke starting pissing out of the intake and I shit myself, Steve yelled at me to start it so I kicked it over, started the bike and it went out Laughing Good job Steve was there (again) as I wouldn't have though to start the bike to put out the fire.

Other than that I managed to knock the stand out from under the KTM and that fell and I nearly dropped the Trophy fucking about with it on the ramp. Very productive day. Rolling Eyes

Now this is my list of what is left to do.

Fit the stiffer spring from C-Dug.
Fit 310 main jet and set up carb.
Adjust clutch engine end.
Clean it.

Dad is back about midday sunday so it should all be ready by then!

chris-red

PostPosted: 13:38 - 25 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The brake lever and plate

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/chris-red/Bike%20back%20together/0A54260F-7C78-4A11-99E4-1B9ED5E990FD_zpsjsypxfpy.jpg

Brake arm it's a bit agricultural, I was going to give it a lick of paint but tbh it is a stop gap, so having it a bit ragged will remind us it needs sorting.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/chris-red/Bike%20back%20together/9131EB23-7561-4B4C-8BD9-D3B51CF73E0E_zpsdy5i922l.jpg

I fitted C-Dug's spring last night and jobs a goodun no more banging!
(If you want your test ride give me a shout we will sort something out this afternoon/evening)

New main jet and clutch sorted too.

Gave it a wash and it is ready barring a shakedown run and a few future tweaks. IT'S DONE

Final Pics!

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/chris-red/Bike%20back%20together/D9DACE95-F4E4-41F4-BFAB-A8A592503BD8_zpsd9igzhhs.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/chris-red/Bike%20back%20together/86AADD88-E193-4D78-AC82-3BE73B6E0F85_zpsnoshpj39.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/chris-red/Bike%20back%20together/01C0EBCE-D6C5-41B4-A699-C337E0C52C62_zpsr2mmxlqi.jpg

Hopefully I'll get dads reaction on video and post it up!

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:31 - 25 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've skimmed over the thread and have a couple of suggestions.

I expect you have a manual already.

lhttps://www.classicbike.biz/triumph/Repair/1970s/70-Triumph-Repair-Manual-63-70.pdf

330 main jet is standard on the single 389 Monobloc. 250 might be ok in a later Concentric, but may be dangerously weak in the Monobloc. Edit: I see you're not using a 250 now.

Standard jetting is not always best. You should follow the Amal tuning procedure. It's in manuals and all over Google. The needle jet is probably worn- the needle opens it out after a few thousand miles.

Idling mixture is set on a warm engine, by screwing the mixture screw in, to enrich the mixture, until running seems to suffer. then screw it out until it sounds right. Then reduce idle speed with the throttle stop screw and repeat what you did with the mixture screw.

Forget about "hardened valve seats."

A Triumph 650 that is not eager to take off from a standstill has some sort of tuning fault. Set points gaps and check ignition timing with a strobe lamp.

Ask questions on www.britbike.com

chris-red

PostPosted: 15:50 - 26 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, It's trouble working on a bike like this is i'm not sure what it should be like, Timing I'll check in the week. Dad is very happy Cool Video to follow!

chris-red

PostPosted: 16:13 - 26 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCRvMRj1PWs&feature=youtu.be

When he said about the Triumph he though I'd done something to his sprint, and he had the shits on holiday hence the not feeling great.

delsol
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:55 - 26 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

You made him very happy, cracking idea Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:42 - 26 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should just about be room for one of these pancake air filters. I've certainly seen them on bikes like yours.

https://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh236/tritonthrasher/imagejpg1_zpsb2c1d375.jpg

There are off-centre ones too. I don't know which will fit your bike best.

https://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh236/tritonthrasher/imagejpg1_zps8bf5e1c3.jpg
You may have to mount the front plate of the filter casing onto the carb, then build the element, back plate and clamp onto it.

Or you might not bother. It's not compulsory.

Carl_steveo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:59 - 26 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done mate he looks over the moon. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red

PostPosted: 20:45 - 26 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has got a pancake filter but it doesn't fit not really sure why, Will have to have another look.

Thanks all Thumbs Up

Supermoto_Fan
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:04 - 26 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was brilliant to see his reaction at the beginning, truly thankful.

I don't think it hadn't been sorted because he didn't like it anymore just sometimes at that age you get caught up with other things and issues and fixing a motorcycle finds it's way to the bottom of the list especially if it's not sole transport.

Hope you feel good mate, your local- ish to me so maybe I'll see it one day!

Would be pukka to have a bit of biking history like this in the garage, to remind you what bikes are all about once you peel off the quick shifters, slipper clutches and electric starts

Ed Case
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:19 - 26 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

This bike will probably keep your dad busy, I've had Brit stuff for years and it's never-ending messing with 'em, great if you like that sort of thing. After fifteen years of it I got pissed-off.

chris-red

PostPosted: 22:49 - 26 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Case wrote:
This bike will probably keep your dad busy, I've had Brit stuff for years and it's never-ending messing with 'em, great if you like that sort of thing. After fifteen years of it I got pissed-off.

I could never have one as an only bike but as 'toy' definitely they need tinkering and fettling to keep them going.

And yes this does remind you how simple bikes can be. The loom is so small it is simple to work out what goes where. Jobs like changing plugs or carb settings can be done in minutes. (I reckon I could change the main jet in under a minute now!) Valve clearances too, are simple to access everything is so exposed. Thumbs Up

Phil_B
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:49 - 27 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been following this and just watched the video, pure appreciation! Great idea and glad it all worked out Smile

chris-red

PostPosted: 11:14 - 28 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well reaction aside it appears to have been a good idea! He put 50 miles on it yesterday, and he was up at the crack of dawn tinkering this morning. Laughing

trevoriv
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:29 - 28 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cracking thread Thumbs Up

That video could only have been made better if your dad popped a wheelie as he went past! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:13 - 28 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

There must be a, toothless, Chesire cat near you because it looks like your dad stole its grin!

Very well done! Karma

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:09 - 29 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

St3v3 is furiously compiling an email to the helmet police.

buaan
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:52 - 29 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome idea! Top man Cool

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:57 - 29 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blue goes rather a long way down that exhaust pipe.

Weak mixture, on needle position or main jet?

Or retarded ignition timing?

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:58 - 29 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triton Thrasher wrote:
The blue goes rather a long way down that exhaust pipe.

Weak mixture, on needle position or main jet? Jetting suited to having an air filter?

Or retarded ignition timing?

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 152 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5