Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Wales MotoGP track gets the go ahead

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:44 - 15 Apr 2016    Post subject: circuit of wales Reply with quote

They need to build a circuit in the south east with more chance of a bit of sunshine maybe somewhere south of Dartford near the M20 for easy access, doubt that'll happen though wouldn't want to see any favoritism towards anything based near London Wink

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:20 - 16 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Brands MkII then lol

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:46 - 16 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Some people apparently thought otherwise. I'm baffled as to why.

Money laundering and back handers have to happen somehow. Rolling Eyes

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:00 - 16 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have to think of a name for it first.

lllllwwyyyllnuullgoggog was the most popular.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 12:50 - 04 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
They have to think of a name for it first.

lllllwwyyyllnuullgoggog was the most popular.

Thumbs Down
Too many vowels,

Lucky silverstone eh? Free MotoGP Laughing

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:53 - 04 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps they could have a virtual race at the virtual track?

https://i.imgur.com/hh3aGlu.png?1

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:25 - 01 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trigged by Gideon threatening to cut off welfare payments to Wales post Brexit, it turns out that the chap behind the circuit, Michael Carrick, had gardening work done on his Cambridgeshire mansion that got "accidentally" billed to the Welsh government funded company backing the circuit.

It's OK though, it was just some paperwork-letterhead-misfiling-handwave-handwave that occurred due to a totally innocent one-off mistake. A one-off mistake that was repeated seventeen times over two years, for a total of £35,000 before the whistle was blown.

Well, start as you mean to go on, I always say. Whistle

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:24 - 01 Jul 2016    Post subject: Wales Reply with quote

Easy mistake to make I'm sure it wasn't intentional Laughing

wristjob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:33 - 01 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

im sure its already been said but lots of millions of pounds will go somewhere and no track will ever happen.

RedPanda
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:49 - 13 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the news again today.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-36775971

Just bloody pull the plug already. We have enough circuits in the UK, invest that government money in something worthwhile in Wales.

Possibly an oxymoron.

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:32 - 13 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
f the Welsh Government had agreed to underwrite the project, it would not have been liable for the money until after it was completed.
In return, it would have been paid £3.8m a year for 33 years.

So that's 125.4 Million back if all goes well over 33 years, I wouldn't call that a good agreement. Plus the money will be losing its value over that time compared with today.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:22 - 14 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
if the Welsh Government had agreed to underwrite the project, it would not have been liable for the money until after it was completed.

I'm not sure that's the meaning of "underwriting". What if - just as a wild, crazy hypothesis - the whole thing turns out to be a massive cynical scam to grab and launder money, with no intention of ever completing it?

As a creditor, I'd like an "underwriter" to actually be responsible for paying me when it all sinks into the mud.

cymru.gov reckon "the public purse [would be] on the hook for 83% of the cost".
Gone but not forgotten This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 16:35 - 02 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going wrote:
Quote:
f the Welsh Government had agreed to underwrite the project, it would not have been liable for the money until after it was completed.
In return, it would have been paid £3.8m a year for 33 years.

So that's 125.4 Million back if all goes well over 33 years, I wouldn't call that a good agreement. Plus the money will be losing its value over that time compared with today.

Very short sighted, Governments don't build infrastructure like that for direct short term repayment/profit. There is so much more going on, it will create 6000 jobs. That is a lot of new taxable income. Not to mention taxes from profits the circuit make. Increased business in the surround area will also work it's way back into the the government purse. On paper it is a good idea. Thats where it will stay though, even if it doesn't I'd bet it will be over budget and under performing.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:53 - 02 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
it will create 6000 jobs.

That'll be some politically motivated fantasy estimate of the peak number of people creaming money from it at some point during construction.

chris-red wrote:
That is a lot of new taxable income.

Which would be meaningful if the taxpayer doesn't end up paying all their wages.

If this was going to happen, it would already have happened. cymru.gov shouldn't put in one single leek, or whatever they use for currency there.
Gone but not forgotten This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:49 - 14 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The private company behind this white elephant have just been caught using £7 million of Taffy.gov money to pay off unrelated existing debts.

This appears to have been done just to keep them solvent in the hope that they can go and hit up the private sector for hundreds of millions in more loans.

The phrase "good money after bad" leaps unbidden to mind.

Reminder: construction was supposed to start in 2013 and be finished by 2015. They've been paying Dorna for the rights for the British MotoGP rights since 2014 and are tied into doing so until 2024, regardless of whether they ever put a shovel in the ground, which they haven't yet.

Last edited by Rogerborg on 08:19 - 15 Oct 2016; edited 1 time in total

mkjackary
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:45 - 14 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question to those who are more cleverer than moi.

Why can't we have both circuits? Spain have three (1 2 3) motoGP circuits, why can't england have one and wales have another?

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:41 - 14 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

mkjackary wrote:

Why can't we have both circuits? Spain have three (1 2 3) motoGP circuits, why can't england have one and wales have another?

Wrong place to ask such question. There's this company called Dorna and they organise the MotoGP races. It's up to them what tracks are gonna make it to the MotoGP calendar. Also, Dorna headquarteres is actually in Spain, hence the 3 tracks, I guess.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:56 - 14 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

mkjackary wrote:

Spain has far more people interested in MotoGP and bike racing as a whole. Dorna is Spanish. Spanish ecnomony is on it's arse for a reason too. We could have a couple of international standard tracks, but politics gets in the way. Donnington and Silverstone being the most likely too. Brands Indy possibly, but they may need to dig more run off.......or Snetts.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:29 - 15 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

But wait...

As if by magic, a new plan appears.

nitrosurf
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:35 - 15 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The infrastructure to/from/around the site is pretty shitty though. I mean, they buggered around with the A470 but that's just a stent in a collapsing artery.

Really speaking a 'Circuit of Wales' would have made more sense just off the M4, near a major populace. What's near the M4, has an airport (well, sort of) and plenty of hotels etc? Begins with a 'C'...?

Alright, so the cost of land and development would be higher than in the sticks, but we paid for the Millennium stadium... I've watched the Speedway there twice, like watching ants drifting around a bean...

Also, it's always f##king cold in Ebbw Vale. I once moonbathed shirtless in Wick during December; that felt warmer than Ebbw Vale in July...

🏍

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:49 - 15 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not just money that's the concern. Living in democracy, people have right to comment what's going on in their neighbourhood. A race track means noise and noise means a lot of pissed people, that are not fans of motorsport + there's the enviroment with all the flora and fauna and people protecting it.

The best place for a race track these days would be next to a busy highway/dual carriageway, in the middle of nowhere, far from inhabited areas.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:16 - 01 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaaand where did that £9 million of public money go? On "services"?

Their business plan seems to be modelled on RainPal.

Yes, we have investors.

No, you can't see them.

We'll announce them soon.

Here be CGI.

Give moar monies.

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:52 - 01 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still love the whole gardening thing.

Quote:
Mr Carrick was asked why Aventa paid for around £35,000 worth of gardening work to be carried out on Mr Carrick's mansion. He said it was an administrative error and an office expense. He also refused to go into detail about what the £967,000 had been used for, saying it was for services.

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 175 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9