Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Elite:Dangerous

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 14:52 - 24 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

lihp wrote:
London Tax Living Allowance

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:57 - 24 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
lihp wrote:
London Tax Living Allowance Government Scroungers

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 15:31 - 24 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all of us consider whippets, flat caps and tales of "uphill both ways in t'snow"-flavoured poverty to be fungible currency, unfortunately.

Also, London funds that government.

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:34 - 24 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
Not all of us consider whippets, flat caps and tales of "uphill both ways in t'snow"-flavoured poverty to be fungible currency, unfortunately.

I have nothing in response. Sad

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:18 - 24 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:

Does this mean I can stop paying anything that isn't directly related to my local authority? Very Happy

I still haven't managed to find either the time or the requisite finance in order to get onto Elite. If you could all stop talking about it then that would help the pangs immensely. For now I'm replaying the Stalker games (also configurable with an EDtracker for peering around doorways/walls).

rideslikean00...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:00 - 24 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I want this game, but where the funds would come from to buy a good enough rig to run it on I couldn't say. I assume the Mac port would require a well specced iMac or higher end MacBook Pro, I can't see it running too well on my trusty Air. Although the Feral ports of Human Revolution and Arkham Asylum are surprisingly stable and playable, and those games are presumably similarly demanding.

Again guys who have built a gaming rig recently, can i do this for around £200 not including joystick etc, just the core machine (motherboard, RAM, CPU, GPU with just enough grunt to handle it at a decent framerate).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dabigginger
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:17 - 26 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know how to stop another ship in supercruise to pick a fight with them? I can't see anything anywhere on this!

metalangel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:44 - 26 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Interdiction

dabigginger
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:19 - 26 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, nice one. Thanks!

metalangel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:30 - 26 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

First proper session of this tonight.

Flew around for ages. Was given several completely broken missions:
-kill an Elite-rated pirate in an Anaconda (sound familiar?)
-endlessly jump into USSes hoping one of them will spawn the dropped item I'm looking for. After a dozen I gave up

Now mindlessly shuttling minerals from a mining station to a neighbouring system, and some worthless shit back just so my hold isn't empty.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:19 - 27 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

metalangel wrote:
First proper session of this tonight.

Flew around for ages. Was given several completely broken missions:
-endlessly jump into USSes hoping one of them will spawn the dropped item I'm looking for. After a dozen I gave up

Now mindlessly shuttling minerals from a mining station to a neighbouring system, and some worthless shit back just so my hold isn't empty.

They aren't broken, you just need to be aware that there a lot of missions advertised that are just traps, or you need to wait until you have decent equipment. If it's too good to be true, it probably is. This happened all the time in Frontier and First Encounters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 22:30 - 27 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

metalangel wrote:
Quite often the resource request missions are pretty easy to do: I've had several where I can buy said resource at the same station that's issuing the mission, and others have been one system over.

As a general rule of thumb, if the payoff of a bounty/assassination mission is more than ~20k, then the target is going to be bastard hard, and that typically translates as and aggressive Elite pilot in a fully-tooled Anaconda.

Do the haulage missions to start with, until you've got enough to put together a fairly decent loadout for a more combat-oriented craft, then go have it large at the nearest Nav Point.

Trading's a bit flaky at the moment on account of the market balancing being off - they've managed to cock it up to the point where points of demand are so overstocked they've become net exporters, but without the price rebalancing. This means that although they're listed as importers of a commodity, you can't sell it there. It's also not economical to buy it there, either, since the pricing's off. It's something that they're working on sorting, but I've not seen any great updates on it yet.

Other than that, the game's been great fun so far for me. I'm working on improving my combat rating at the moment, and having a hell of a time doing so; >200 kills and counting.

metalangel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:44 - 28 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carrying some not-inexpensive cargo last night on a long haul and ran out of fuel.

Fuel scoop takes up valuable space on a Sidewinder so I'd removed it. D'oh!

Frontier meanwhile removed the 'distress beacon' which you could deploy in that exact situation, and you can't even refuel if you have a hold full of hydrogen fuel so it's not like a friend could come and jettison one for you to scoop up.

metalangel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:15 - 02 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have a very well equipped Viper along with my Adder. Took down my first 'pirate lord' in an Anaconda earlier, shield cells make a huge difference in a fight like that. So does the system authority showing up with three fighters, but meh.

Observations of the game:
-we need to be able to carry ship parts, and store all sorts of cargo. As it is it's like living in your car, everything you own you have to carry with you unless it's another car, and that other car has to be mothballed before you're allowed to put it in storage.
-additional to that, we need to be able to swap cargo between ships if we're also swapping ships. The only workaround is currently to fly out of the station, dump the cargo, then quickly fly back in and grab your other ship before scooping up what you just dumped before someone else does.
-that every do-gooder goes hot and every cop in the system appears within moments of you accidentally hitting someone and incurring a 150cr bounty is flippin' ridonkulous.
-Supercruise is so tedious - especially but not limited to when you're flying to the only station in the system to pay off a piddling bounty like that - but the long deceleration phase and it still bringing you in too fast so you can't disengage at your destination without looping around?
-a good fuel scoop is absolutely essential for all but the shortest trips.
-other players? what other players? Every time I've actually seen on it's been with giddy excitement to actually have someone to talk to, and even then that means hitting one button to open the comms window, another to selection their name and another to choose 'text message'... and then you send one whole message. Repeat each time you want to say more.
-that all cargo you scoop is marked as stolen, even if you've found it in wreckage or claimed it from a dead pirate, is stupid. The fines are outrageous too.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:57 - 06 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

metalangel wrote:
Observations of the game:
-we need to be able to carry ship parts, and store all sorts of cargo. As it is it's like living in your car, everything you own you have to carry with you unless it's another car, and that other car has to be mothballed before you're allowed to put it in storage.
You can effectively store components at stations, but I do see your point.

metalangel wrote:
-additional to that, we need to be able to swap cargo between ships if we're also swapping ships. The only workaround is currently to fly out of the station, dump the cargo, then quickly fly back in and grab your other ship before scooping up what you just dumped before someone else does.

Apparently they are implementing a mechanism where you can store cargo when you store or sell a ship for a small fee.
metalangel wrote:

-that every do-gooder goes hot and every cop in the system appears within moments of you accidentally hitting someone and incurring a 150cr bounty is flippin' ridonkulous.

I've not had this problem.
metalangel wrote:

-Supercruise is so tedious - especially but not limited to when you're flying to the only station in the system to pay off a piddling bounty like that - but the long deceleration phase and it still bringing you in too fast so you can't disengage at your destination without looping around?

Use the blue indicator next to the throttle position to gauge your speed. There is also a speed and orientation graphic on the left hand dash screen. Supercruise had to be implemented so that pirates can attack you. If you could just supercruise past all bad guys the game would be crap.

metalangel wrote:

-a good fuel scoop is absolutely essential for all but the shortest trips.

I don't have one, but I do now have a Cobra which drinks fuel, so I might have to invest. Do they come with one as standard?

metalangel wrote:

-other players? what other players? Every time I've actually seen on it's been with giddy excitement to actually have someone to talk to, and even then that means hitting one button to open the comms window, another to selection their name and another to choose 'text message'... and then you send one whole message. Repeat each time you want to say more.

I get the sense that n00bs stay out of open play, at least initially, and they tend to match you with similarly ranked players.
metalangel wrote:

-that all cargo you scoop is marked as stolen, even if you've found it in wreckage or claimed it from a dead pirate, is stupid. The fines are outrageous too.

I can see why they have done this though, otherwise piracy in teams would become legitimised. Lets say the player that kills the ship is not allowed to collect the salvage. Simple, just get a player friend to destroy the ship for you when you come along and net the profits. Take it in turns and you could become fairly rich with few fines... It might be considered unfair.

metalangel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:30 - 07 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I've not had this problem

You see someone who is wanted and has a bounty, so you shoot them. But you shouldn't, because they're from the local ruling faction, or sometimes not even that, and you got 200cr bounty for assault of Capt Fuckflaps. You start getting "bounty detected" messages from non-pirates in the vicinity, and then a police vessel will appear with a "investigating reports of crime being committed" message soon too.

Quote:
Use the blue indicator next to the throttle position to gauge your speed. There is also a speed and orientation graphic on the left hand dash screen. Supercruise had to be implemented so that pirates can attack you. If you could just supercruise past all bad guys the game would be crap.

I use that all the time. Sometimes it overaccelerates you and then you overshoot your destination. I have since been told that for finding USSes you should fly as slow as possible in supercruise, which is one of the major tedium bits eliminated.

Quote:

I don't have one, but I do now have a Cobra which drinks fuel, so I might have to invest. Do they come with one as standard?

I don't think anything does. Buy the best one you can - cheap ones have a low throughput and you have to fly close to the sun to even hit it, whereas a good one scoops tons of fuel super fast and you don't have to keep moving further out to reduce your heat level (plus they scoop well even at a greater distance)

metalangel wrote:

I get the sense that n00bs stay out of open play, at least initially, and they tend to match you with similarly ranked players.

I finally got blown up in PvP by a professional pirate who delivered an obvious cut and paste message. Does your cargo kersplode with you if you're killed, or only if you auto-destruct, or never?

metalangel wrote:
I can see why they have done this though, otherwise piracy in teams would become legitimised. Lets say the player that kills the ship is not allowed to collect the salvage. Simple, just get a player friend to destroy the ship for you when you come along and net the profits. Take it in turns and you could become fairly rich with few fines... It might be considered unfair.

I take that point, but it's currently contrary to the law of salvage (as I understand it). As it stands, you (the pirate) just go into silent running to sneak into a station to sell the stuff, which is a minor but annoying inconvenience that also punishes someone who legitimately acquires dropped cargo. Plus, acts of piracy get you an automatic bounty which is a far bigger worry.

This thread pretty much sums up all my feelings now:

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/2r7suu/rant_im_bored_and_its_a_shame_really/

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:17 - 08 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've basically made a hybrid of Elite and Elite 2. They've ditched the story missions from First Encounters, and the artwork is all a little bit too 'nice'. There is little dirt and weathering, you never seem to get stiffed by people on the bulletin board missions and not being able to land on planets is a bit of a backward step IMO.

However, I still love the game. I love the fact that the politics of the galaxy exists despite the fact that I can largely ignore it. I love the fact that you are adrift in space, just you and your ship and your wits. I love the fact that you can go anywhere and do anything.

Yes, Frontier did get boring after a while. When you had a Panther Clipper with 75 shield generators and a small plasma accelerator the game was a bit dull. The game could do with more linked story missions and more progression but I still think it's a tremendous achievement. The story aspect of the game is one aspect that CAN be fixed after release, whereas the people in the Reddit thread forget that First Encounters and to some extent Frontier were both buggy and in some cases unplayable. I think the team behind Elite Dangerous have focussed on the playability and mechanics behind the game before the story, and I think that is commendable. You can't really make a step change in how a ship flies, or how a station looks or how trading works etc, and a lot of the issues that Metalangel has raised exist for simple reasons of fairness. Why wouldn't you remove all your guns and place them in your hold if you get a slightly further hyperspace range and a better power consumption? You could then re-fit them when you decided to go bounty hunting or similar.

I think the E: D team have got the game mechanics and rules of the universe thing about right, and to add a story and to modify how the bulletin board works is a minor almost trivial change to make. It's not like the game isn't fun to play right now!

I think Frontier Developments should add a little bit more content into the game, but criticising the game for that seems a little short sighted IMO.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:49 - 08 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
The story aspect of the game is one aspect that CAN be fixed after release

Anything can be fixed after release. It's a business decision whether to do so.

Some businesses decide that it's better to take the early access money and run, for example.

I've been following this thread with some interest, but I'm still awaiting:

1) A demo version so that I can see if it's playable on what passes for my 'rig'.
2) The fully patched, full featured actual game.
3) Offline for when they pull the plug.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:08 - 08 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
MarJay wrote:
The story aspect of the game is one aspect that CAN be fixed after release

Anything can be fixed after release. It's a business decision whether to do so.

Some businesses decide that it's better to take the early access money and run, for example.

I've been following this thread with some interest, but I'm still awaiting:

1) A demo version so that I can see if it's playable on what passes for my 'rig'.
2) The fully patched, full featured actual game.

IMO, players are more likely to lose interest in a game that is an awful buggy pig to play, than a polished game that lacks a small amount of substance. There is a demo version available I think, you can play it offline for the combat tutorials.

Rogerborg, the first threads of a massive story arc were released in the game over the xmas holiday, so they are starting to add something to it. It looks like the addition of a story has been designed into the code for the game, and is implemented remotely from the Frontier Developments servers.

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:34 - 08 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

They stated that if they pull the plug they will release an updated client to allow offline play.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:55 - 08 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

lihp wrote:
They stated that if they pull the plug they will release an updated client to allow offline play.

Given that it was pulled at the 11th hour, there's a bit of a credibility gap in that claim.

Doesn't look worth a £40 gamble at this point, sadly.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:33 - 08 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
lihp wrote:

Given that it was pulled at the 11th hour, there's a bit of a credibility gap in that claim.

Doesn't look worth a £40 gamble at this point, sadly.

Frontier Developments is a fairly profitable business with a well known old school game designer at the head. I think if they decide their server costs are too much they will be able to engineer a patch to make an offline version.

metalangel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:06 - 09 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was discussing with a friend today that to match the current graphical fidelity for planetary surfaces is going to be a huge undertaking. You consider the amount of detail inside and out of the space stations. That's a single object against a starfield, and the interior is however many landing pads (48?) in an enclosed space.

Match that level of detail with a giant futuristic metropolis, and a landscape stretching as far as the eye can see. Some people will never bother with atmospheric shields as the only thing that will burn up faster than their ship is their 'rig' trying to render all that. I mentioned the Berlin levels from IL2 Sturmovik as a benchmark for a really nice looking city to fly over.

Are we going to have cookiecutter cities? Probably. I noted that for densely populated worlds, one or two landable spaceports either makes no sense (for the amount of traffic a planet of billions would support) or lots of sense (why land at a spaceport? Your ship is VTOL and can land on your driveway).

However! However. This occurred to me. It worries me.

Planetary 'landings'. We get an altered version of the coming-out-of-supercruise sequence, but with the screen getting lighter as we enter the atmosphere, and the flames are orange instead of blue. Then we're in a confined area, straying outside the confines of which results in insta-death due to a 'planetary defense matrix' protecting the 'no fly zone'. In the centre is the spaceport. Maybe in the distance is the future-o-city.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:57 - 12 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few questions for you lot:

1.) has anyone noticed any differences in the new 1.04 release? Are any aspects of the game harder than before?

2.) How do you stop bad guys from running away from a fight when they get to 40% hull?

3.) Are rare commodities still worth trading?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:26 - 14 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Few questions for you lot:

1.) has anyone noticed any differences in the new 1.04 release? Are any aspects of the game harder than before?

2.) How do you stop bad guys from running away from a fight when they get to 40% hull?

3.) Are rare commodities still worth trading?

Ok I think I can answer my own questions now.

1.) Minor differences. It's way more stable and trading isn't as easy as it used to be. It's still possible to make money of course.

2.) This was answered for me by nowhere.elysium... basically I need bigger guns and to hit harder.

3.) Rare commodities are still well worth trading. I made £300k in about 2 hours play Tuesday night. I think if I spent a day on it I could have a couple of million credits pretty easily.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 98 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8