Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Elite:Dangerous

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

metalangel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:40 - 15 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot their drive out if you want to stop them running... I had my thrusters knackered by one of those super pirates and while I could still run it was only in a straight line, the only option was to self destruct.

Pretty much everyone in the game has now figured out that the area around Lave is the place to go for rares... four or five of the systems there produce rares and if you ship them to another system that produces rares that's a fair distance away you'll make a big wodge and then can make a big wodge on your return journey too.

I think it was one or two return journeys in the Freewinder and I had enough for my Adder, and then I could fill it up and trick it out and eventually afford my Viper and trick it out too. Then I got bored and stopped playing, a bit like Frontier where doing Luxury Goods to Barnard's Star same me go from Adder to Lion Transport in no time at all.

Zero Punctuation: https://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/9991-Elite-Dangerous-Review

I think he's still in the 'wow this is all new and wonderful' phase and hasn't had time to see just how shallow it is.

All that's happened for me is I resubbed to EvE to see if I felt like playing that again instead.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:45 - 15 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

metalangel wrote:

Zero Punctuation: https://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/9991-Elite-Dangerous-Review

I think he's still in the 'wow this is all new and wonderful' phase and hasn't had time to see just how shallow it is.

It's not *that* shallow. Apparently a player based faction has influenced a world into leaving the Federation according to the news feeds...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

metalangel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:39 - 16 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's not really much point to doing that stuff yet anyway.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/01/15/elite-dangerous-review/

It is that shallow. There's a few cool but repetitive things to do and no reason to do them apart from making more money. The Wings update can't come soon enough.

iMark
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:48 - 21 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Combat pays out better now, but I've been doing a bit of exploring Very Happy

https://i.imgur.com/U1lUmoS.png

Some bloody huge stars.
https://i.imgur.com/9jdAtZ3.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/uUpVK15.png
https://i.imgur.com/MSAEQcI.jpg

metalangel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:15 - 22 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup... I refitted my Viper and went out last night after doing a rare run and made quite a bit of money!

I think I want a Vulture now.

iMark
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 22 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vulture's are sick...

They have stupidly powerful shields and can destroy Condas with ease, love mine Razz

Can easily make 1m per hour in RES bounty hunting

https://i.imgur.com/oWtAoWL.jpg

My current setup

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 20:40 - 22 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vulture does look kinda tempting. Not sure I want to sell off the Cobra to get one, though - may have to grind for a while before I can afford one, then. Two hardpoints does rather limit the options, though.

iMark
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:45 - 22 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are Large (Class 3) hard points though, all you need is 2 gimballed Pulse Lasers and your set to wreck everything, just aim for power plants on Condas and Pythons.
Clippers & Dropships hull are weak so they just get shredded by lasers, no need for kinetic damage on them.

You could run with 1 laser and 1 cannon but that'd mean going back to restock ammo which is pretty pointless when the Pulse Lasers can wreck everything Razz

The only issue with Vulture is power management but if you know how to manage it you can get away with being over 100% power , maybe 106-107% Power used, as you can set stuff not needed for combat (Cargo Hatch, FSD & Fuel Scoop) to priority 2 which will disable those when your hard points deploy.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 20:47 - 22 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interdasting. How's the thermal handling?

iMark
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:51 - 22 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

2x Pulse Lasers with Grade A Power Distributor you can fire them for a good while on 4 pips before they need to recharge.

Burst Lasers are pretty bad on 4 pips, and I won't touch Beam Lasers, they are horrible.

All you need to run is 2/0/4 SYS/ENG/WEP in pips when in a RES, you can swap between WEP and ENG when moving between targets if you really want but the vulture has that good maneuverability you never need the extra speed from having pips in ENG

~~~~

I'll do a bit of bounty hunting in a RES later and get a video up on YT for it, gives me chance to try out the TrackIR in Combat , just got it on Friday but haven't played with it yet in Combat Smile
https://i.imgur.com/UOdU7Xy.jpg

iMark
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 22 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 minutes, 100k in Bounties plus what ever I got from other sectors from KWS...

Video rendering etc.
You can see me firing the pulse lasers for a good while before they need recharged, and it wrecks pretty much everything with ease, didn't have any "big" targets really apart from a Dropship, python I spotted was clean sadly,

100k in less than 5 minutes though, pretty easy money if you ask me!

Will edit post again when video is uploaded...

https://youtu.be/h1GHbRxylj8 - Currently as of 2057 it's still processing so it won't be in 1080p for a little while yet... but you get the idea Smile

metalangel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:52 - 29 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flown iMark's Vulture fit (apart from the shield, which is 5 million on its own, so I got the next best one) in a conflict zone for most of the evening. Jolly good fun, lasers running dry only irritation, makes me wish for another hardpoint, even a small one, for something else to shoot while the lasers recharge.

Cracking fit, all said,

rideslikean00...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:13 - 29 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

iMark wrote:
Combat pays out better now, but I've been doing a bit of exploring Very Happy

https://i.imgur.com/U1lUmoS.png

That's kinda cool, I remember there was a story called The Outer Limits in one of the bundled bits of literature in the Frontier: Elite II game box where the main character was a deep space explorer. He noted that individually discovering new stars and exploring the worlds within didn't pay that well but if you did enough you could get wealthy out of it. Bit of a continuity nod.

Still really want to play this but still can't justify the cost of building a new gaming PC rig just for the one thing...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

metalangel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:18 - 01 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thread on the balancing issues when it comes to ships.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/30rw4z/elite_fdl_or_why_price_balancing_is_bad/

We'll never have as many ships as EvE, so FD should be trying even harder to avoid this situation.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:04 - 03 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I'll get it on Steam for £20 with all the optimisations, bug fixes, and DLC, same as everyone else.

On Steam now ✔
Bugs fixed ✘
Content added ✘
Specs dropped ✘
Tempting price ✘
Demo available ✘

Powerful lot of butthurt and shilling going on in the review voting.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:48 - 03 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

metalangel wrote:
All that's happened for me is I resubbed to EvE to see if I felt like playing that again instead.

Used to play that years ago and it still is the best for content and variety, and it was completely player driven. The system design the travel were all bang on, just alway poorer for being mouse click control.

They tout the potential 4 billion systems like it's a good thing, seriously what is the point. Too many things going a little "out there" with procedural generation.

metalangel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:15 - 03 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sload wrote:

Used to play that years ago and it still is the best for content and variety, and it was completely player driven. The system design the travel were all bang on, just alway poorer for being mouse click control.

They tout the potential 4 billion systems like it's a good thing, seriously what is the point. Too many things going a little "out there" with procedural generation.

I was saying to an Elite playing friend that even in terms of fitting your ship, Eve is to Elite what a mechanic's toolbox on wheels is to a mini screwdriver set out of a Christmas cracker.

Mile wide and an inch deep, Elite lacks any real point or purpose, still. You have to make your own fun, which I suppose is okay, but there's still very few tools to enable that. You seem to spend 90% of your life in supercruise, unless you're just hanging around an RES shooting stuff. "Friendship Drive Charging" is heard even more often than "Warp Drive Active" was in EvE.

As per the link above, there is a definite 'best' ship and so many unviable ones (Viper is losing relevance), and what point is there trading in Open unless you actually enjoy being unavoidably interdicted by some dickhead who, if you're *lucky*, will just demand some of your cargo and let you go.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:39 - 08 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/jUCV1C6.gif

Yup.

metalangel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:43 - 12 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone still bothering?

I played for ages (enjoying the 50 tons of Diso Ma Corn) hoping for a T7, only to be told that a Clipper > T7. So I went for that, except 1.3 was getting close and trading was so tedious I wanted a change from that and combat so exploring could be fun, and the Diamondback is an exploration ship.

Except it's not as good as the Asp, and if I do buy and kit out an Asp, I will have spent so much it'll take me forever grinding rares to earn to back, so I should get a proper sized trading ship and do proper trading...

Meanwhile, pirates are whinging that to combat people spamming cargo drops, there can only be 20 cans of cargo per instance before the oldest one disappears. This makes robbing people unviable.

I don't have time to care, because on the second or third day of 1.3, I was clipped by an AI Cobra as I left a station. I immediately gained a 12,632cr bounty that had the maximum seven day timer on it before I could pay it off. I docked back up. I realize I could just fly someone else and rat around there for a while instead, but being turfed out of my home system because of Frontier's heavy-handed mismanagement of their multiplayer game (which they really wanted to be multiplayer, remember) grated so much I'm just taking a week's holiday instead.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:50 - 12 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't bothered yet, still waiting for that £20 price point and dropping the quad core minimum spec. You don't need to use more than 2 cores for anything that the player sees.

The Steam review rating shilling seems to be tailing off, and a couple of informative negatives have bubbled to the top. The theme seems to be "Early access game asking AAA money. Soon everyone will be in end-game ships and then what?"

Fair assessment?

metalangel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:48 - 12 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Fair assessment?

Yes. It is horrifically grindy and there isn't much reason to apart from your own enjoyment. This worked in 1993 with Frontier (or earlier, I never played the original Elite) but now we expect more of a purpose other than amassing a pile of money.

The combat is fun but repetitive. Trading is tedious, exploring is entirely down to whether you find yourself lost in the fantasy of being deep in unexplored space.

They have a beautiful flight model, nice graphical effects, a very immersive game all round. It's just that the stuff you do in it isn't very much fun. The whole time I played I was thinking 'EvE did X or Y better', and that is virtually everything except the actual flight and combat.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 22:34 - 06 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the imminent release of Horizons (the planetary landing DLC), I figured I'd resurrect this thread.

I'm still playing, and enjoying myself immensely. Currently doing the whole exploration thing in a Diamondback, which was always the big draw of this game for me, and I'm most of the way to the core at the moment: 18K LY from Sol as I type this. Should have a metric shitload of first discovered tags when I cash in from this trip - I'm hoping that I should be able to bump my exploration rank significantly and buy a Python with the cash. I'll probably have a stab at the new and improved mining once I've done that.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:26 - 25 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elite: Dangerous is under a tenner in the Steam Sale.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/359320

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:04 - 25 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Price is right, still demanding a quad core. Poor show. Probably mining bitcoins in the background.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:06 - 25 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBoughey let me have a bash at this using his account.

I want to like it, but it comes across as a mega time hole and a simplified EVE Online.

But for some reason, I'm still tempted to cough for it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 148 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8