Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Your DAS experience

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

foxbat
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:42 - 24 Jul 2004    Post subject: Your DAS experience Reply with quote

Hi,

To all the full licensed bikers out there who passed via DAS.

I am due to do my DAS over the next couple of weeks (5 day course) and wondered what the typical DAS experience is like for most beginners and how you got on.

Are there any surprises to expect, things to avoid or practical tips you could give me that would help me prepare?

Thx one and all who reply

foxbat

Ian (GPX)
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:49 - 24 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go and buy a book called 'Motorcycle Riding the Essential Skills' published by the DSA, it costs £9.99 and is a real good read if you are keen on learning to ride a bike and pass your test. You can get the book from most places, including WH Smiths.

Also take a look at the link below....

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=27360

Good luck with the course and test.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!

PostPosted: 01:10 - 25 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Foxbat

Firstly welcome to the boards.

I did an 5 day intensive direct access course back in june. Typically what happens is that on the first day we did the CBT bits & pieces and were given the all important DL196 certificate.

On the second day we did pretty much the same things as cbt but putting them to practical use on the road.

On the third day we moved up to the 500cc machines (Kawasaki ER-5) and had just a day riding to get used to the machine (rode down to some cafe outside Horam, East Sussex.

On the fourth day we were mock tested and given further tuition on any problem areas (mainly U-turns).

On the fifth day we went out for a shortish ride thorough a couple of towns and country roads, then over to the test center.

A couple of helpful pointers i can give you are:

- Enjoy the course
- If you don't understand what you've been asked to do, ask the instructor to repeat the instruction.
- Nod to other bikers
- Just other typical test rules, e.g. don't cut corners off of junctions when turning right, keep your head up on U-turns (look where you want to go) etc...
- If the examiner is following you in a car, don't be afraid to use your superior acceleration to your advantage (e.g. put some distance between you and them)

- most importantly RIDE FOR YOURSELF, do not try to keep up with anyone else on your course as you will get flustered and start making silly/dangerous mistakes, the same goes for on your test, don't wait for the examiner it is his responsibility to keep up with you.

Best of luck with the course, let us know how you get on
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

marc_yorks
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:08 - 25 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,if you ride safely,concentrate and don't make silly mistakes on your test like i did you shall be fine Thumbs Up

shorty
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:35 - 25 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

My DAS was slightly different to Davo's;

I did an hour on an ER5 in a playground the saturday before I started so the instructors were happy that I could handle the bike having never been on one before, I then had 4 days on an ER5 without doing a seperate CBT, the instructor gives you the certificate as you do all the necessary bits a peices during the week. Then a quick hour Friday morning before the test.

Did do a mock test the day before my real one which the instructor was very tough on - he reckoned no-one had ever passed one of his mocks before!!

It's worth bearing in mind that it is very much harder to become a bike instructor than a car instructor, so they are full of useful information. All of the instructors at my centre had Advanced riding qualification (most were advanced drivers as well) and as such do not just teach you to pass the test, they are preparing you for riding on the road, much more dangerous than when in a car.

Listen to your instructors and don't be afraid to ask stupid questions - there is no such thing.

Good luck Thumbs Up

foxbat
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:11 - 25 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx everyone for taken the time to reply.

There's a lot of useful info there and I think now I'll be ok. The 'search' function has also offered up lot's more on this forum - what a find this site was.

Had a look at some new bikes today to whet my appetite - cool as f**k! test can't come soon enough now... and can't wait to put the ol' 'nod' into practice in a few weeks (without the L plates hopefully Smile)

Cheers again

foxbat
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 280 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1