Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Help please CB400 2002 6th gear not revving properly

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Biker au
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 04:02 - 01 Sep 2014    Post subject: Help please CB400 2002 6th gear not revving properly Reply with quote

Hi,

I just bought a bike yesterday, 2002 Japanese import Honda CB400 superfour. Riding in gears 1-5 is fine but when in 6th gear the bike is jerky and loses revs, has anyone come across this issue before and can you recommend what it may be? Need to work out if it needs fixing urgently or if I can still ride it in the lower gears as only need 6th on the highway.

Any help/ advice would be much appreciated,

Thanks

_mjs_
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 06:08 - 01 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked for restrictors?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Biker au
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:26 - 01 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I haven't, had would I know if it has a restrictor on it or has a fault? In 5th revs to redline and go fast but in 6th won't rev at all and stutters

Taught2BCauti...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:45 - 01 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bikes made for the Japanese market could be fitted with a Speed Limiter!

See this article - https://hondacb400.myfreeforum.org/sutra122.php
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Biker au
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:56 - 01 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, issue as it was happneing at 110kph not 180 so had to ride in 5th with the revs high, wouldn't allow any kind if accelerating in 6th

Taught2BCauti...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:12 - 01 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

A speed limiter of some sort is the only explanation for your problem that I can think of.

If your bike does have one, and I think there's a good chance it does, it might not be working properly - causing the problem to occur at a different road speed.

Biker au
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:21 - 01 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, so no mechanical issue that would have those symptoms? Hopefully it is a restrictor that can just be removed, will take it into a garage for an inspection

DOS
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 01 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the restriction is in the clocks.
If you could get a loan of clocks and try them out.

In the mean time you could go up one tooth on the front sprocket and down two one back sprocket and just use 5 gears.
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 17:10 - 01 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its an electronic speed-limiter, it'll retard the ignition at whatever speed its set to, regardless of rpm's.

6th gear will be an over-tall ratio or 'over-drive' to knock the revs back for more relaxed cruising, and in all liklihood, on a bike with only 40bhp or so, all stacked at higher rpm's it IS likely to go 'faster' in 5th, where lower ratio will let you rev to where peak power is made.

Think about it; 40bhp, will just about get you to about 110mph on a good day, but to do it you'll need the motor spinning pretty much bang-on peak-power revs, what, 12,000? But to hold 70mph only needs about 12-15bhp, which you probably have from anywhere above 3,000rpm. If 'top' gear was geared to deliver 110mph at 12,000 revs, then 70 would fall at 7,500rpm, and would still be rather 'buzzy'. So putting a taller gear over 'top', an'over-drive', could drop the revs at 70 back to perhaps, 5,000, just before it starts to get 'busy'... but that would imply nearly 170mph at peak power.... but, with only 40bhp, you are never going to be able to do 170.

But, this is why bikes like this with peakpower made with a lot of rpm's will have six-speed gearboxes, not five, and you will need to use the lower gears more to get at that high rpm power, so stirr the box, so to speak. Something that can be rather alien if you have come from a DAS bike with a broad flexible power delivery; slightly less so if you have come from a 125, that with limited power can need the gears worked a lot to get at what they have, but which tend to have 'top' matched pretty closely to best speed their power can pull, without an 'over-drive', as they don't have any excess power to hold 'higher-speeds' with less revs.

Or short.... COULD just be the 'nature' of the bike...a small displacement, high-reving multi, and absolutely nothing to do with power or speed restrictions... its just a rev-happy bike.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:00 - 01 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Another vote for a Japanese market speed limiter.

The odd thing is that it cuts in at ~110kmh. The 180kmh limit is 112mph which is a remarkably similar number. Wonder if someone has tried to fit and screwed up some kind of speedo healer.

All the best

Keith

Biker au
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 01:12 - 02 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the advice. I am concerned I've bought a turkey that will need a transmission rebuild, fingers crossed its a japanese limiter that can be removed without too much troubles. I'll just ride in 1-5 for now, until I take it in to get checked out.

Biker au
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 02:27 - 02 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

One strange thing though to suggest it is not a limiter is that it goes above that speed in 5th gear up to 120-130kph just can't hold revs in 6th, so would suggest it's something associated with that gear instead of just top speed, or if the limiter is only active is 6th perhaps?

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 06:37 - 02 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pberm wrote:
One strange thing though to suggest it is not a limiter is that it goes above that speed in 5th gear up to 120-130kph just can't hold revs in 6th, so would suggest it's something associated with that gear instead of just top speed, or if the limiter is only active is 6th perhaps?

This is the power Graph for a bike like yours.
https://tyga-performance.com/tyga_rydas/Tyga_Vs_Std_Dyno_Sheet_Custom.jpg
Data-Sheet for your bike says it ought to do about 180Km/h.
If it's geared to put 180Km/h at or close to 10,500rpm where it has the power to go that fast, that means that the final drive ratio gives aprox 1.72Km/h per 100rpm.
OK, so at 130Km/h, in 6th your engine should be turning something like, 7,500rpm... now look at the power graph and see how uch power its making at that engine revs. Its barely 20bhp.
Go slower still, 110Km/h were your bike is 'playng up'... aroud 6,300rpm... and you have around 18bhp to play with.
This is a peaky little, rev hungry motor that has to have the knackers thrashed off it to get the high rpms where big bhp is made. Low down, under 7,500rpm its flat as a fart and has barely the power of a 125... which is JUST enough to do 110Km/h or so.
Power is Force times Speed. So to go faster you need more force; BUT you eed that force to over-come wind resistance, and that goes up with speed, so to go twice as fast, you need more than twice the power... which you have... BUT, you cant get at it, cos you are in too high a gear, too early.
Change down to 5th... and as you have found... you go faster... 120-130Km/h. trouble is, that STILL doesn't get you up to the revs n 6th where the engine's making significant power; its still under that 7,500rpm pot where the power ramp starts, and the power starts riding quickly with revs, and you probably only just have enough to hold the speed you've achieved.
If you revved the thing out to the red line in 5th, it'll probably run t spmething like 160Km/h or more; and if you upshift to 6th then, it will drop you oto the power curve at arou 9,000rpm, where you have somethig like 45bhp to play with, and on a portion of the power ramp where the power is increasig faster with engie revs than wind resistance is increasig wth road speed, allowing you to continue accelerating, probably not very fast, but still accelerating all the same to the bikes notional top speed or 180Km/h, at 10,500rpm, where the power curve hooks and starts to drop off, and the bike's 'topped out' and wont go any faster... OR it'll let you hold the road speed you shift up at, wth less revs than you used n 5th to get there.
As I tried to explain before, this sounds pretty 'normal' for a bike with a small displacement and reletively 'peaky' egine that likes to be revved to get at where it akes its useful power, with a reletively tall 'over-drive' top gear.
110Km/h, in 5th is just not high enough up the power ramp to need 6th to drop the revs for more 'relaxed' cruising speed, cos even in 5th you aren't high eough up the rev rage for it to have got 'busy', its probably still under that 7,500rpm turning-point where the power starts to come in.
Bikes 12 years old. Could be it is lacking some 'sparkle' from wear and tear damping it'sperformance a little, makig the effect more pronounced; BUT, this DOES sound like it's just the nature of the bike.
It would be incredibly strange for a bike to have some sort of artificial speed limiter that only works on 6th gear, when the bike obvousely goes faster in a lower gear!
Could be some-one's dicked with it; who knows what or why some people do daft thigs to thier bikes...
BUT, my first 'test' would simply e to try reving the nuts off the thing to the red line i each gear before trying to change up... these ARE rev hungry little bikes, and I suspect you'll find that if you max it out in 5th it'll be a LOT happier when you shift to 6th and is likely to hold or even continue accelerating beyond whatever you get to in 5th when you do.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Taught2BCauti...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:31 - 02 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this on the website I mentioned in my first post, referring to OP's model:
Quote:

IS YOUR BIKE RESTRICTED?
probably, Its easy to find out how.
In other bikes or a faired version its the dash fuse.
Just remove the fuse for (its 1 fuse mine is a 10Amp);
"meter, tail light, horn, turn, stop light, neutral light, hazard".

Then ride the bike, carefully!
remembering you have no indicators, no rear lights, no neutral light, no horn.

It should misfire at 5500 RPM, and believe me its noticeable.
If it doesn't misfire your bike has been derestricted already.

Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

GeorgeB.
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:26 - 02 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

on My CB, 6th gear is only good for crusing at around 90ish. It wouldn't really pull. 5th is where all the power is, managed around 120 before bottling it in 5th.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:15 - 02 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

Go slower still, 110Km/h were your bike is 'playng up'... aroud 6,300rpm... and you have around 18bhp to play with.
This is a peaky little, rev hungry motor that has to have the knackers thrashed off it to get the high rpms where big bhp is made. Low down, under 7,500rpm its flat as a fart and has barely the power of a 125... which is JUST enough to do 110Km/h or so.

Only takes ~12hp to manage 70mph / 112kmh, so 18hp gives it 50% more umph than it needs to maintain the speed. Sure not going to accelerate quickly, but it will accelerate

All the best

Keith

Major Doss
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 02:47 - 03 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look in this month's Practical Sportsbike, they have a feature on derestricting the restriction in the restrictive speedo.

tl;dr E Gads, Tef man! You do waffle some utterly useless bollocks, sometimes! Rolling Eyes keep it up. Thumbs Up

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:06 - 03 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is similar to the one Kawasaki used on the ZZR400 then bypassing it is fairly easy. It's a photosensitive thingy in the speedo and a wire to the CDI. You can either try shaving down the bit in the speedo or just put a resistor in the wire to the CDI.

cb1rocket
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:21 - 03 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it not hold any speed in 6th? Or is it clunky? Sounds like transmission has gone to me.

I own a cb1 and yes the speedo limiter kicks in at 180kph, easily bypassed. Feeding a live into the sensor will disable it

Biker au
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:11 - 03 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would hold the speed but when attempting to accelerate loses revs instead of gaining them and fails as if something is not right, can't be how the bike is supposed to behave surely. Would that be a transmission problem? All other gears work fine bike pulls well and changing gear is not a problem just 6th

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:28 - 03 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pberm wrote:
It would hold the speed but when attempting to accelerate loses revs instead of gaining them and fails as if something is not right, can't be how the bike is supposed to behave surely. Would that be a transmission problem? All other gears work fine bike pulls well and changing gear is not a problem just 6th

If it's like the JDM restrictor on my kwak that I bypassed it restricts the revs in top gear (10k rpm in 6th on the zzr), when you hit that limit it sort of bounces about at it.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 2 years, 234 days between these two posts...

tarlowb
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:11 - 25 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biker au! ('Surprised')

I have this exact bike, exact year and unfortunately...exact problem.

Have you found a solution to this? I presume you either fixed it, or sold it/scrapped it! there has been no action on the post for over two years. I have narrowed it down to either a problem with the JDM restrictor, or transmission failure.

obviously its going to cost a bomb to rebuild a transmission and I don't want to start off down that route if its not necessary.

I am looking under the clocks this weekend to investigate, but a few days ago I replaced the headlight bulb. hoping I've just knocked something out of place as it was fine before!

lovely bike when it works ('Cool')

any help would be insanely appreciated! Surprised Surprised

tarlowb
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:00 - 25 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Help please CB400 2002 6th gear not revving properly Reply with quote

Biker au wrote:
Hi,

I just bought a bike yesterday, 2002 Japanese import Honda CB400 superfour. Riding in gears 1-5 is fine but when in 6th gear the bike is jerky and loses revs, has anyone come across this issue before and can you recommend what it may be? Need to work out if it needs fixing urgently or if I can still ride it in the lower gears as only need 6th on the highway.

Any help/ advice would be much appreciated,

Thanks

Hope you can respond biker au! Hope it wasn't a big Job!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 2 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2