BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New website

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dylan
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:00 - 12 Mar 2002    Post subject: New website Reply with quote

I thought i would make my own website but the only thing i thought i could make it on was NSR's. So heres my attempt nsronline.tripod.com Its got some usefull information and will be updated regulary. Please tell me what you think, and if you have any suggestions, comments or information.
Thanks
Dyl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:12 - 13 Mar 2002    Post subject: New website Reply with quote

Not bad... not that my web design skill are in anyway good, but I reckon the background is a bit too 'in ya face', though you have put a background on the text it still looks a bit too distracting.

It dosen't adjust size to my screen size and needs IMHO needs a little polishing, something to do with [b]'content="Microsoft Publisher 2000"[/u] perhaps?

If you want to stick a link to my manual: www.giffould.com , you're welcome to... I can't guarentee how long it will stay there though. I am aiming to sort it out into html and hopefully I'll make some dynamic php style pages... as I mentioned before this does involve me learning php, whcih could take a while Smile [/u]

Dylan
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:17 - 13 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, i think!!! Ill put that link in. It doesnt adjust for my screen size either, ill have to get my friend to help me on that one. I agree, the background does look a little unprofessional, i might change it sometime, but the effort required to download all those files.... I cant see how you do it Korn!!!!!!!
Dyl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:05 - 14 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I mentioned I'm not exactly a html got so I'm probably not the best person to advise you, so don't take offence from any critisism, feel free to ignore it if you so desire.

I don't mean to sound patronising, but:
I would seriously suggest you use a 'proper' web page editor... at least frontpage express if not frontpage or the various free ones that are out there. This should be just as easy to use and publisher produces horribly convulouted code... Considering it was made in publisher I'm quite impressed...
As I was bored (well trying to avoid doing some tieding actually Smile ) I knocked up a quick re-hash of your front page (link on my web site, at the bottom), If you compare the source of the two, mine uses about half the code to do pretty much the same thing. Publisher actually adds loads of stuff to stop you resizeing it. If anyone else is going to try to edit it they have quite a nasty time with a publisher produced page.

As far as the background goes, in my experience you want to keep all the colours fairly similar and if possibly blending into each other.

I've only recently been writing html etc, so I'm still very much learning myself.
oh, btw I actually use notepad, but I've got vague intentions to have a job in the future that could include *some* web design (ie intranets etc) so I'm trying to get used to html.[/url]

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 00:46 - 14 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm a Computer Science student, so I guess that I can offer some constructive criticism and suggestions...Don't worry, it won't be offensive (I hope)...

...right, first of all, if you want to keep that background then at least adjust the saturation of the image, try to make it a little more subtle...If you look at Korn's site, the colour scheme is very simple and the graphics are kept to a minimum...many of the more professional-looking sites try to be as simple as possible (or they use Flash)..

...I would personally plan out and design the overall structure of the website first, rather than doing everything on the fly...but this is quite a discipline, and has taken me 3 years of uni study to appreciate!

...if you're serious about keeping an updated web page/site, then I suggest that you learn a scripting language such as PHP, Perl, or even Java...actually, no, scratch that...to begin with, just search for "CGI scripts" on Google, download the functionality that you want, and try to hack it...see how it works...

...actually, the first thing that you should learn is HTML...packages such as Dreamweaver are a god-send, but you ultimately need to know what it actualy does...

In terms of presentation, it's not bad, but then again, it is very amateur-ish (which is understandable!), but the content and potential content is looking very good!...I emphasise again that I do not intend to inflict any offence by my comments/suggestions...my shamefull knowledge about bikes/riding kinda balances things out between us!

Ultimately though, just chill out, surf around the web and look at lots of web sites, and try to make a note of what you like about them, then see if you can adapt those ideas for your site...the future of computing is in re-use, so don't be afraid of using someone elses ideas as a basis for your own, but obviously try not to directly copy them!

Tin

Dylan
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:21 - 14 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys, i do appreciate them (and dont worry, i dont go and cry in the toilet for hours after!!!). Can you get front page for free, or does it come with the office package?
It looks so much better when its full size, and automatically centralises.
Looks like ime gonna have to learn html then. If i want to change something at the moment it usually means uploading about 20 files!!!!
Thanks for all your help, and when i get front page and some time i might start updating it!!!
Thanks again
Dyl

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:50 - 14 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dylan wrote:

Thanks for the replys, i do appreciate them (and dont worry, i dont go and cry in the toilet for hours after!!!). Can you get front page for free, or does it come with the office package?
It looks so much better when its full size, and automatically centralises.
Looks like ime gonna have to learn html then. If i want to change something at the moment it usually means uploading about 20 files!!!!
Thanks for all your help, and when i get front page and some time i might start updating it!!!
Thanks again
Dyl

You don't need to learn html to use frontpage etc, IMHO it's probably only really worth it if you intend to do serious site design or do it for a living. If this is all you're gonna do then it's probably not worth the hassle.

AFAIK you have to buy frontpage or get it with Office, but frontpage express, a cut down version should come with IE... just rembered it doesn't work in NT/2000/XP though. We just got a free wysiwyg editor at work for use with W2k on our clients systems... I'll see if I can dig it out if you want.

If you want to, feel free to nick the page I made... it won't match your other pages though. If you wan't and I've got a spare moment I'll try and convert your other pages... it'd be good experience for me, but it's up to you.

Oh yeah... you should only have to upload the files you actually change... it may well be diffrent with front page though.

Dylan
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:20 - 14 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi world chat cmapion!!! lol
Ime sure my friend can make me a *legal* copy of Front page from my friend. Ill try and do the site by my self, only way ill learn!!!! Thanks for the offer.
Dyl

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:42 - 15 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try here if you can't get hold of frontpage.[/url]
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 41 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1