Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What book are you reading at the moment?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 28, 29, 30  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

hmmmnz
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:01 - 22 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

im currently on an urban fantacy buzz,
just finished reading the dresdan files,
and on the final book of harry connollys 20 palaces series (been reading a book a night, quite good Very Happy )

another couple of good series are by jon f merz,
lawson the fixer series, really good despite it being a vampire series

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:51 - 23 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmnz wrote:
really good despite it being a vampire series

This is what I mean by the writer being the all important thing. It doesn't really matter what the subject is; if it's by a good writer, it'll be a good read. Exactly my point about some Stephen King stuff. He's done one called "On Writing" which is (as you may gather Rolling Eyes ) just about how he goes about the writing process - very interesting (helps that he has a sense of humour, not to mention excellent taste in music Smile ).

So other than just good books, I'd be interested to know who people consider to be great/engaging writers.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:16 - 23 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

A walk among the tombstones - finished all but 1 of the Jack Reacher books, and it was recommended in the other book thread. Decent, well written and engaging. Looking forward to reading a lot more.

Saying that, I have Roy Keanes 2nd autobiography to read next. (why write two autobiographies? - "The day after the last book, I had a bacon sandwich and watched Neighbours." I really don't get the pop foetuses who write an autobiography at the grand old age of 23.

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:26 - 23 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gates of fire by Steven Pressfield.

Novel based on the battle of Thermopylae (the battle in the 300 movie).
unitynotsocri... This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

GhostRider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:11 - 23 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrDonnyBrago wrote:
Gates of fire by Steven Pressfield.

Novel based on the battle of Thermopylae (the battle in the 300 movie).

I just today finished his "War of Art" - you can get through it in a day if you have the time to spare.

Written more for the writer/artist/creative type to be honest, and has an air of "self help" about it, still good for a bit of motivation I suppose.

GhostRider
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.

Snodvan
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:13 - 23 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pratchett - Moving Pictures

Hilarious

Snod

carlosthejack...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:21 - 24 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBFcarl wrote:
carlosthejackal wrote:
Just read Jack Reacher's 2-5 while on holiday and Richard Dawkin's Appetite for Wonder.

How are you finding the Reacher books? I have just finished all but the newest one (Personal). I loved them all, but thought that the first one (Killing Floor?) was the strongest of the lot.

Love 'em, although I thought the Visitor was pretty much the same premise as the Cruise film. He's a proper nasty bastard though, I can never get a proper handle on his personality. I don't think the author can either...
Current rides: '05 VFR800 VTEC, '57 Mondeo 1.8 TDCi #58LEGEND
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:59 - 24 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the books share a lot of similarities. FWIW, I thought The Visitor was a bit of a lull in the series, and I had seen the twist about 1/3 of the way through.

I know what you are saying about the character, and I think it is explained a bit more in the later books (Never Go Back) but I think he has a clearly defined sense of right and wrong, and is happy to use his strengths to the best of his abilities. Little conscience...

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:07 - 17 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished #4 "Cibola Burn" last night, can't wait for #5 "Nemesis Games"

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:52 - 17 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going through the Aubrey / Maturin series ("Master and Commander") again. Astonishingly confident and compelling stuff, should be required reading before having any debate on Europe. Whistle

FriendlyEllis
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:32 - 17 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

In and out of
Nick Sanders" Extraordinary Life of an Ordinary Man"

Been reading it for months and months.

Genuinely quite fascinating but don't read that often.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:47 - 18 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of a sci fi freak mainly but
Patrick O'Briens Aubrey Maturin series?, first class stuff !
Since reading them some years ago, I've collected all the series as audiobooks read by Patrick Tull
and was astounded !
Tull really brought it to life for me and brought insights and nuances I missed when reading it.
Also read CS Foresters Hornblower books ( of course) and Alexander Kents Bolitho series too.

On a similar historical note, Bernard Cornwells Sharpe series gets a big thumbs up from me
they're far better than the TV series, his other His/Fic works are very good too
Another historical fiction series I've enjoyed and would re read and recommend is
Lyndsey Davis' Falco Series.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:02 - 18 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

This week I are mostly bin revisiting
Joe Abercrombies 'The first law' series

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 01:16 - 18 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Currently reading Dando and the Summer Palace by William Clive. First read it about 30 years ago. Book based in China in the 1860 Taiping Rebellion.

All the best

Keith

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 01:48 - 18 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Android Programming: The big nerd ranch guide" over the Holidays, if I can be bothered.

Woo!

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:51 - 18 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll probably be reading mongodb: the definative guide over xmas

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:37 - 18 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air Warfare In The Missile Age. Well, it touches on an area I worked in for a while, so interesting to me.

FriendlyEllis wrote:
In and out of
Nick Sanders" Extraordinary Life of an Ordinary Man"

Been reading it for months and months.

Genuinely quite fascinating but don't read that often.

I hope he writes better than he narrates. His round the world on an R1 film was very tedious. All those places he went, and he had very little that was interesting to say. A proper snooze fest Thumbs Down
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ed Case
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:03 - 18 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger Moore 'Last Man Standing'.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:42 - 18 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I'm going through the Aubrey / Maturin series ("Master and Commander") again. Astonishingly confident and compelling stuff, should be required reading before having any debate on Europe. Whistle

I found those unbearably slow.

I read a lot and often have multiple books/audio books on the go.

Currently I'm reading

2nd Sharpe book (Chronologically) he is in India chasing a renegade officer, Can't remember the title

Skunkworks all about the Advanced Technology being developed at Lockheed Martin, U2, SR71 etc.

The Fellowship of the Ring, Finished the Hobbit Film and though I'd give it ago I've read the Hobbit before but never LotR

Approaching Storm (Audiobook) It's a Star Wars Novel set between Episode 1 and 2

Modern Toss:- A Decade in the Shithouse, it's more a Comic Book Annual type thing Modern Toss is Hilarious if you don't know what it is have a look. Funnily enough this is in my Shithouse for when I have a dump.

Stars Wars Omibus:- Knights of the Old Republic Vol3
Stars Wars Omibus:- Droids

A pair of Star Wars Comic book omnibus's (Omnibi?) One is at my missus' place. That is the only book out of those listed I have picked up since Monday Laughing

Recently Finished:- Fermat's Last Theorem, Maths book, really interesting it's a kind of history of maths then tells the history of Fermat's Last Theorem. Really interesting, if you have the vaguest interest of Maths or Science you will love it.

Tomb Raider book, can't remember the title set after the latest Game, it was pretty good, a light easy read.

Princess Mononoke, The original book by Haziao Miyasaki (That is probably spelt horrifically) He is the co-founder of Studio Ghibli (The Japanese Disney for lack of a better term, Spirited Away etc.) This is a book he wrote in the 80's to try to get funding for a film, the book has little to do with the Princess Mononoke Film but has loads of great artwork, you can really see his films in it, although it is basically a childrens book TBF.

Sled Driver, it's a book written by an SR71 pilot just telling stories about what it was like. Really interesting, it is rare and out of print now. Copies go for £100's, I have it on PDF. If anyone fancy's reading it I'll send it to them.

RedPanda
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 12:02 - 18 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cormac McCarthy - Suttree

I usually love his overly descriptive prose and depravity. I'm really struggling though, I'm about 270 pages in, it's very rambling and nothing really has happened besides a bloke having sex with watermelons. It's taking me ages and I have another 200 pages but I'll persevere.

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:23 - 18 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished binge reading the second book in the Stormlight Archive series, only 2 years until the next one. Sad

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 12:36 - 18 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I'm going through the Aubrey / Maturin series ("Master and Commander") again...

I prefer the original take on that, C. S. Forester's Hornblower series.
Indeed I like it that much I have a few first editions, you know, printed on paper and bound, not this new fangled e-reader Kindle stuff (although I have those as well).

Which reminds me, must re-read The Saint books by Leslie Charteris. Like the Bond books, far more gritty and anti-hero than the tv/film makers take on the character.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:28 - 18 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

I read a lot and often have multiple books/audio books on the go.

Currently I'm reading

2nd Sharpe book (Chronologically) he is in India chasing a renegade officer, Can't remember the title

Skunkworks all about the Advanced Technology being developed at Lockheed Martin, U2, SR71 etc.

The Fellowship of the Ring, Finished the Hobbit Film and though I'd give it ago I've read the Hobbit before but never LotR

Approaching Storm (Audiobook) It's a Star Wars Novel set between Episode 1 and 2

Modern Toss:- A Decade in the Shithouse, it's more a Comic Book Annual type thing Modern Toss is Hilarious if you don't know what it is have a look. Funnily enough this is in my Shithouse for when I have a dump.

Stars Wars Omibus:- Knights of the Old Republic Vol3
Stars Wars Omibus:- Droids

A pair of Star Wars Comic book omnibus's (Omnibi?) One is at my missus' place. That is the only book out of those listed I have picked up since Monday Laughing

Recently Finished:- Fermat's Last Theorem, Maths book, really interesting it's a kind of history of maths then tells the history of Fermat's Last Theorem. Really interesting, if you have the vaguest interest of Maths or Science you will love it.

Tomb Raider book, can't remember the title set after the latest Game, it was pretty good, a light easy read.

Princess Mononoke, The original book by Haziao Miyasaki (That is probably spelt horrifically) He is the co-founder of Studio Ghibli (The Japanese Disney for lack of a better term, Spirited Away etc.) This is a book he wrote in the 80's to try to get funding for a film, the book has little to do with the Princess Mononoke Film but has loads of great artwork, you can really see his films in it, although it is basically a childrens book TBF.

All at once?! Shocked

chris-red wrote:
Sled Driver, it's a book written by an SR71 pilot just telling stories about what it was like. Really interesting, it is rare and out of print now. Copies go for £100's, I have it on PDF. If anyone fancy's reading it I'll send it to them.

Available on Kindle for £9.02 Laughing Just bought on your recommendation and cos it's right up my street Thumbs Up

I've recently finished:
Viper Pilot: A Memoir of Air Combat, by Dan Hampton - Wild Weaseling in F-16s; good.
Stealth Fighter, by Lt Col William B. O'Connor - how not to go to war! - ok.
Fast Movers: Jet Pilots and the Vietnam Experience - short profiles of those who flew combat missions, and their experiences - good.

See a pattern here? Laughing

I read Lord of the Rings again for the first time in a long while a few months ago, and still found it to be excellent, better than The Hobbit by far, perhaps unsurprisingly. The Hobbit is written in a much more light-hearted manner, almost as if aimed first and foremost at children, whilst LOtR has a much more serious feel to it. Obviously both evergreens though.

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:18 - 18 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the Roy Keane biog, it was good. Quite eye-opening and it does make him come across as a bit more human than the angry pit-bull that I had imagined for years.

Guy Martins Autobiography, I really enjoyed this but thought that it was over a bit quick (he doesn't repeat everything twice in print, maybe thats it?).

A couple of the Matthew Scudder books by Lawrence Block (A walk among the tombstones, When The Sacred Ginmill Closes, A Ticket To The Boneyard). Really enjoying these.

I couldnt find the new Jack Reacher book (Personal) at a decent price or online, so ended up getting the audio book. Im not sure if it was the writing or the narrator, but it was bobbins. He didn't even shag anyone.

I am currently reading "The Good Pyschopaths guide to success" and "A dance at the slaughterhouse" (Lawrence Block).
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 103 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 2 of 30