Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What book are you reading at the moment?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:59 - 18 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:
I'm going through the Aubrey / Maturin series ("Master and Commander") again...

I prefer the original take on that, C. S. Forester's Hornblower series.

Forester is a great page turner, but I find O'Brian both more credible as an observer of human nature, and more evocative in his descriptions.

I love O'Brian's take on the age of sail, attributing a series of meticulously described (mostly) factual actions to his fictional characters, enabling him to play with and speculate about the personalities involved without having to limit himself to strict chronology or location.

It's the boldness of his writing that really impresses me though. Switching from flowingly wordy to punchy summary terseness with deft adroitness....

Master and Commander wrote:
'Then I must tell you that on Sunday mornings it is the custom, in that country, for people of all ages and conditions to dance, on coming out of church: so I was dancing with Ramon Mateu i Cadafalch in the square before the cathedral church of Tarragona, where I had gone to hear the Palestrina Missa Brevis. The dance is a particular dance, a round called the sardana; if you will reach me your fiddle I will play you the air of the one I have in mind. Though you must imagine I am a harsh braying hoboy.' Plays.

... and throwing in casually humorous touches...

Post Captain wrote:
Mrs Williams never came down to breakfast; and quite apart from this the breakfast-room at Mapes was the most cheerful in the house.

I find that he combines the best parts of Forester, Austin and Dickens.

</Radio 4>

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 12:50 - 21 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently reading Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey

Supernatural fantasy has a new anti-hero named James Stark.

I'm enjoying it, I don't normally read the fantasy genre, as I tend to stick to crime thrillers. But this one has been a good read so far...I'm mid-way through, and I've been dedicating up to an hour a night to read it. Thumbs Up

alexknight200...
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:58 - 21 Dec 2014    Post subject: Pacific Reply with quote

Currently reading Pacific. Seen the series and thought I would see how the book shapes up.

Just finished reading a Reg Kray book, autobiography. Interesting read. Found the author rather naive, but a good insight into his life behind bars.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:02 - 21 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last book written by my Grandfather before he died, it is on the history of Derby. I've only just been able to to brink my self to read it as every time I start I can hear his voice and his words.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

RedPanda
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 09:51 - 30 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBFcarl wrote:
Guy Martins Autobiography, I really enjoyed this but thought that it was over a bit quick (he doesn't repeat everything twice in print, maybe thats it?).

I'm racing through it now. It's alright but very matter of fact, you lose his charm and he must have toned down on the stories and anecdotes.

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:01 - 30 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am working my way through the Peter James "Roy Grace" series and the Lawrence Block "Matthew Scudder" series, alternating between one and the other. At the moment, Peter James' Looking Good Dead, which will be followed by "Time To Murder" by Block. I had read a couple out of sequence. Those that liked the Jack Reacher books should enjoy these books.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:43 - 31 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finding the SR-71 book a bit boring, seems to be mainly lists of the checks carried out to perform a typical mission, although some interesting bits in there. I think maybe he's written more than one, and I may have the wrong one?

So to give some lighter reading, I've gone for "Grand Prix Motorcycle Racers: The American Heroes" by Norm DeWitt.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:51 - 31 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year I tried reading for pleasure again....I'm back on PDF manuals again. Neutral
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

charliemopic
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:33 - 31 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Valour by Andy McNab, sister gets me a signed copy of his latest for my Birthday every year.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 31 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really into sci-fi reading, but was looking for something different from the usual detective thriller types and stumbled across 'Ark Royal' by Christopher Nuttal. I am currently reading the fourth in the series that has been carrying on book-by-book by reader request. It's sort of a contemporary take on the future of the Royal Navy. Where many future-looking scripts assume that planets will become a combined entity, this one assumes that national boundaries continue into a space-faring future, even when an alien attack threatens Earth. It's easy-reading and pretty compelling.

gbrand42
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 10:54 - 01 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just started Jupiters Travels by Ted Simon, not seen this book before, picked it up for 50p in a charity shop. Early days but quite good.

sensi5446
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:00 - 01 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

They Came Before Columbus, father in law got me it for Christmas as he knew I'd just finished The Mammoth Book of Native Americans. Good read so far.

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 22:02 - 04 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanger wrote:
Currently reading Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey

Read this. Really enjoyed it.

Got The Taxidermist's Daughter by Kate Mosse for Xmas pressie. Read that in no time flat (enjoyed it a fair bit, interesting and I didn't guess what would happen, even till the very end - which I liked).

Now have book number two from Richard Kadrey: Kill The Dead - on the go, and came to bed early tonight just to get stuck into it some more. I reckon I'll be hunting down the next two books also...which are Aloha from Hell and Devil Said Bang. Thumbs Up

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 04 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished the last of Le Carré's George Smiley books, Smiley's people. Pretty good. I've gone old school now, The Thirty-nine Steps by John Buchan.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:06 - 05 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

something about pirates, by that bloke that wrote stuff that was based on real stuff, erm Chricton I think? too lazy to go upstairs to look, it's quite good though
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dolly3900
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:45 - 05 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently....

Pratchet/Gaiman - Good Omens

Pratchet - Lords & Ladies

Adams - So Long & Thanks For All The Fish

Colfer - And Another Thing

Prisg - Zen & The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance

Huxley - Brave New World

Asprin - Myth inc. In Action

Yes, I know, but I have various ones in differing locations/rooms, etc. so depending on where I am, depends on what I read.
2002 Rieju RS2-50 (Sold, spares or repair), 2010 Suzuki DR-125SM (Traded for ->), 2007 Honda CBF 600 (Sold), 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 (Briefly, now returned), 2007 Suzuki Intruder 1800m (Even More Briefly, traded in for ->), 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

sensi5446
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:26 - 05 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolly3900 wrote:
Currently....

Pratchet/Gaiman - Good Omens

Pratchet - Lords & Ladies

Adams - So Long & Thanks For All The Fish

Colfer - And Another Thing

Prisg - Zen & The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance

Huxley - Brave New World

Asprin - Myth inc. In Action

Yes, I know, but I have various ones in differing locations/rooms, etc. so depending on where I am, depends on what I read.

Yeah I'm the same, I have "Many Thousands Gone: First Two Centuries of Slavery in North America" in the downstairs loo and a few others dodtted around the house Smile

sidewinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:42 - 05 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

British motorcycles by Colin jackson

Eddie Hitler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:23 - 05 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really enjoying this one.

https://i.imgur.com/2VzDsm3.jpg

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:15 - 06 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Fast Stuff" by Matt Oxley.
A collection of articles the bike journalist has written over the years about racing. Interviews with the likes of Doohan, Schwantz, Lawson etc. Trying his hand at Suzuka with the big boys, trying the nasty 500 GP bikes.

Want to know how to rear wheel steer? Doohan explains (kind of Laughing ).

Really enjoying it. If you like your reading in short bursts, this book would be ideal. Well written, informative, funny and downright scary. Only downside is a raft of typos on the Kindle version, but otherwise gets the Thumbs Up from me.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:18 - 07 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

A brief history of time - Stephen Hawking. Quite suprised I haven't read this earlier. Quite an easy read on a non-intuative phenomenon

Algorithms: Design and Analysis by Robert Sedgewick. Need to re-learn about directed graphs.

From the fiction collection, I've got the daVinci code on the go as well as the smartest giant in town.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:38 - 07 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halfway through the Silo series
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silo_%28series%29

Is good yo.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:16 - 07 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

el_oso wrote:
A brief history of time - Stephen Hawking. Quite suprised I haven't read this earlier. Quite an easy read on a non-intuative phenomenon

Have you read "Epic of Evolution - Seven Ages of the Cosmos" by Eric Chaisson? Wonder if it's the same kind of thing. I would definitely recommend Chaisson's book.

My understanding of science isn't deep, although I've dabbled with trying to grasp quantum theory ("Quantum - A Guide For The Perplexed" by Jim Al-Khalili) and other bits and bobs like "The Edge of Physics" by Anil Ananthaswamy, "Collider - the search for the world's smallest particles" by Paul Halpern and I also enjoyed "Neutrino" by Frank Close. All good reads for those who are curious about such things but at a, shall we say, layman's level Laughing

RedPanda
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 15:22 - 07 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
"The Fast Stuff" by Matt Oxley.

I reckon I'm gonna give that a go, thanks.

I've just finished The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time. It's a teen novel about a kid with autism, I really enjoyed the play in London so thought I'd give it a go for a quick and easy read. T'was decent.

As I'm still in the mood for something digestible, I'm going to download Hitchhiker's Guide as it's a book everyone bangs on about but I've never tried.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 15:45 - 07 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
chris-red wrote:

I read a lot and often have multiple books/audio books on the go.

Currently I'm reading

2nd Sharpe book (Chronologically) he is in India chasing a renegade officer, Can't remember the title

Skunkworks all about the Advanced Technology being developed at Lockheed Martin, U2, SR71 etc.

The Fellowship of the Ring, Finished the Hobbit Film and though I'd give it ago I've read the Hobbit before but never LotR

Approaching Storm (Audiobook) It's a Star Wars Novel set between Episode 1 and 2

Modern Toss:- A Decade in the Shithouse, it's more a Comic Book Annual type thing Modern Toss is Hilarious if you don't know what it is have a look. Funnily enough this is in my Shithouse for when I have a dump.

Stars Wars Omibus:- Knights of the Old Republic Vol3
Stars Wars Omibus:- Droids

A pair of Star Wars Comic book omnibus's (Omnibi?) One is at my missus' place. That is the only book out of those listed I have picked up since Monday Laughing

Recently Finished:- Fermat's Last Theorem, Maths book, really interesting it's a kind of history of maths then tells the history of Fermat's Last Theorem. Really interesting, if you have the vaguest interest of Maths or Science you will love it.

Tomb Raider book, can't remember the title set after the latest Game, it was pretty good, a light easy read.

Princess Mononoke, The original book by Haziao Miyasaki (That is probably spelt horrifically) He is the co-founder of Studio Ghibli (The Japanese Disney for lack of a better term, Spirited Away etc.) This is a book he wrote in the 80's to try to get funding for a film, the book has little to do with the Princess Mononoke Film but has loads of great artwork, you can really see his films in it, although it is basically a childrens book TBF.

All at once?! Shocked

chris-red wrote:
Sled Driver, it's a book written by an SR71 pilot just telling stories about what it was like. Really interesting, it is rare and out of print now. Copies go for £100's, I have it on PDF. If anyone fancy's reading it I'll send it to them.

Available on Kindle for £9.02 Laughing Just bought on your recommendation and cos it's right up my street Thumbs Up

I've recently finished:
Viper Pilot: A Memoir of Air Combat, by Dan Hampton - Wild Weaseling in F-16s; good.
Stealth Fighter, by Lt Col William B. O'Connor - how not to go to war! - ok.
Fast Movers: Jet Pilots and the Vietnam Experience - short profiles of those who flew combat missions, and their experiences - good.

See a pattern here? Laughing

I read Lord of the Rings again for the first time in a long while a few months ago, and still found it to be excellent, better than The Hobbit by far, perhaps unsurprisingly. The Hobbit is written in a much more light-hearted manner, almost as if aimed first and foremost at children, whilst LOtR has a much more serious feel to it. Obviously both evergreens though.

I think you bought the wrong one! This is the one I mean...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sled-Driver-Flying-Fastest-Aeroplane/dp/1857800028/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420641307&sr=8-1&keywords=sled+driver

I guess you meant this one?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flying-SR-71-Blackbird-Operational-Mission/dp/0760332398/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1420641307&sr=8-7&keywords=sled+driver

I have that one but I am yet to read it.

I've got worse not better with the books too. On that list I've only finished the audiobook and it has been replaced with another one called shatterpoint.

I'm also reading Knight Errant the book and Graphic novels Laughing

I still have the others to finish, Although I'm nearly done with Kotor 3, Droids and Modern Toss don't really count as I dip in and out of them.

I also have the Roald Dahl Autobiography queued but not started!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 110 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 3 of 30