Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What book are you reading at the moment?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:02 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldie wrote:
Just finishing the excellent Wolf Hall (Hilary Mantel) and I have a pile of good Christmas pressies waiting for me to get through after that.

However, since I was gifted an Echo Dot, I've subscribed to Audible and quite enjoying the change. It's £8 per month although I got 2 free books of my choice (Dissolution & Secret History) and you are allowed a certain number of swaps. I reckon that the first 12 months membership will cost me almost £6 per book and will decide later on if I think that's good value or not. I miss having the actual book in my hand and there's more faff involved if you want to skip back to re-read something but, overall, it's a reasonably good experience. I'd say that it comes second place between real books and Kindle. The main problem I've found is that you can be too easily distracted just sitting listening to the thing, or even fall asleep, but I guess that it's a learning process.

Anyway, it makes for a pleasant change and helps with the eye strain that you get if you read all day, every day.

Fwiw I did enjoy The Secret History.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:21 - 08 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed - Guy Martin

Bought by a well meaning relative. It's exactly as you'd expect, loads of pictures of what you've already seen, My First Psuedo-Physics diagrams, and a couple of words from our Guy (or his ghostwriter), all blokey bloke, rather be working on a truck, matey mate.

Klingon Bird of Prey - Haynes manuals

All background. No troubleshooting, disassembly/reassembly guides, tools required, nothing even about self-sealing stem bolts. Mad

A Short History of the Motorcycle - Richard Hammond

The copy-editing is a bit ropey and it's a little try-hard for the humour, but it is recognisably Hammond writing. It's actually packed with Teflonian reams of stuff from the Early Olden Days through to Very Nearly Now. Hammond is genuinely enthusiastic about his subject, is pretty insightful about bikey-biker motivations, and has done a fair bit of research. This one might not go straight into the next charity bag.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:52 - 08 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

This one might not go straight into the next charity bag.

Hmm, let us know when/if you become sure it's worth picking up? Not sure I'll be convinced though, after you've said:

Rogerborg wrote:
It's actually packed with Teflonian reams of stuff from the Early Olden Days through to Very Nearly Now.

I mean, I've got lots of time on my hands, but maybe not enough for a whole book of Tef (are you sure you haven't just got the first volume? Shocked ) I am, after all, quite a way through this life of mine Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:09 - 08 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It rattles along at a fair pace, I'd actually be OK with a few more asides about warm summer's evenings in ancient Greece Margate. I'm only up to the 1980s, I'll let you know if biking survives.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:21 - 08 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
It rattles along at a fair pace, I'd actually be OK with a few more asides about warm summer's evenings in ancient Greece Margate. I'm only up to the 1980s, I'll let you know if biking survives.

Not too many spoilers, please!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:25 - 08 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

All background. No troubleshooting, disassembly/reassembly guides, tools required, nothing even about self-sealing stem bolts. Mad

Have you downloaded the collect of star trek nerdings that I linked you to a while back?

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:36 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I go and splash out on this, has anybody read it?

The Way of Kings: The Stormlight Archive

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:03 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Have you downloaded the collect of star trek nerdings that I linked you to a while back?

I wasn't sure how to do it without our dicks touching. Awkward.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:43 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
CaNsA wrote:

You want FTP ?

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 07:01 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quarter way through Stephen King's Needful Things - please tell me that it gets better Sad Having read various reviews, I had high hopes for Stephen King.

So far, it's just a folksie ramble full of "clever" similies.

Having just finished Wolf Hall and The Secret History I was getting used to well written, interesting, books......

Or have I just picked the wrong "King" to start with?

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:26 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's shit. As stated on previous page my favourites are The Shining, Talisman, The Stand, Different Seasons and then maybe Dead Zone and Fire Starter - but I think they're all youngsters' books tbh. Come to them as a big proper adult and a lot of it can just seem too far-fetched and plain daft. Also, his early writing can feel dated these days.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 12:57 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

The copy-editing is a bit ropey and it's a little try-hard for the humour, but it is recognisably Hammond writing. It's actually packed with Teflonian reams of stuff from the Early Olden Days through to Very Nearly Now. Hammond is genuinely enthusiastic about his subject, is pretty insightful about bikey-biker motivations, and has done a fair bit of research. This one might not go straight into the next charity bag.

I got that for Xmas too.

Currently reading this...

https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1396783468l/20579068.jpg

It is amazing, genuinely ridiculous how scientists played about with nuclear material. It seems like the manhattan project was a load of blokes treating Plutonium like Lego and every now and then someone dropped a bit in the wrong place, a few kilos went supercritical for a couple of seconds and a gave the bloke a Lethal dose.

My favourite bit was a guy experimenting with a Beryllium casing around a Nuclear core, The Beryllium would increase the reactivity the closer it was. How he should have done it was put it over the core, take a measurement of the criticality, then get a tiny about machined of the casing a repeat till he had the balance of stability and criticality. He couldn't be bothered with this so got loads lopped off the case and put it on the core but wedged a screwdriver under the case and lowered it by moving the driver. The driver slipped, the core went spastic and like most of the stories in the book it ends with "He died several agonising days later."

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 12:58 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

You want FTP ?

First Touch Penis?

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:22 - 07 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to give up on Needful Things......dreadful.

However, Winter Pilgrims (Kingmaker, Book 1) by Toby Clements was bloody good. It's a 15c adventure taking place around the Wars of the Roses but you don't need O Level history to enjoy it. It's definitely worth a read.

Also finished a child abduction crime novel called The Widow by Fiona Barton. It wasn't exactly one of those books that will stick in your mind, but it's still enjoyable and a bit different.

And, finally, my first John Grisham - A Time to Kill. Hicksville America semi-courtroom stuff and very good. Some nice characters and decent action. It made me think about reading more of his stuff.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:28 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom - Cory Doctorow

Painfully pop-cultural paen to post-scarcity progressiveness.

Serial student Doctorow is oh-so-desperate to show how hip and down he was with the 1337 5p34k that all the cool nerds were using in 2003. His ostentatious use of "core dump", "grepping" and "public folders" have dated as badly as 1930s authors' rocket ships packed with vacuum tubes and teletype printouts (or TTYs as Doctorow would doubtless insist on jargonising).

I'm sure that he was oh-so-proud of "Whuffie" as a jolly clever concept, but an author more interested in telling a story rather than showcasing his manifesto would have just called it something like eKarma and every reader would have instantly grokked it without further tiresome explanation.

The character of wise-beyond-her-years Lil is a painfully obvious Mary Sue for some chick in his Ultima Online crew who wouldn't bang him and who probably never did.

There's doubtless some sort of a plot, but I couldn't discern it amongst the deliberately obtuse socio-symbology and tub thumping. I got about a quarter of the way through it and core dumped it from my public folder. It's not worth the price of grepping through the freeware license at the start.

hedgehugger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:41 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom - Cory Doctorow

Painfully pop-cultural paen to post-scarcity progressiveness.

Serial student Doctorow is oh-so-desperate to show how hip and down he was with the 1337 5p34k that all the cool nerds were using in 2003. His ostentatious use of "core dump", "grepping" and "public folders" have dated as badly as 1930s authors' rocket ships packed with vacuum tubes and teletype printouts (or TTYs as Doctorow would doubtless insist on jargonising).

I'm sure that he was oh-so-proud of "Whuffie" as a jolly clever concept, but an author more interested in telling a story rather than showcasing his manifesto would have just called it something like eKarma and every reader would have instantly grokked it without further tiresome explanation.

The character of wise-beyond-her-years Lil is a painfully obvious Mary Sue for some chick in his Ultima Online crew who wouldn't bang him and who probably never did.

There's doubtless some sort of a plot, but I couldn't discern it amongst the deliberately obtuse socio-symbology and tub thumping. I got about a quarter of the way through it and core dumped it from my public folder. It's not worth the price of grepping through the freeware license at the start.

I gave up on this too, not even sure I got to the end of the first chapter, but it was a year or 3 ago.

Currently reading The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub. I got bored of this about 20 years ago, so now it's time to try again. Think it's the only King book I have never finished.

Mawsley
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:41 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/514dP3zdZYL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

A work of outstanding excellence.

https://cdn3.digitalartsonline.co.uk/cmsdata/slideshow/3580293/policemanwww-scarfolk-blogspot-com.jpg

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 08:15 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like a bit of history then Imperium (Robert Harris) is a fantastic way to delve into ancient Rome. Full of political intrigue and brilliantly written. Finished it this morning and already looking at the next two books in the series, although might pick up a modern thriller first.

Dr. DaveJPS
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:34 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldie wrote:
Before I go and splash out on this, has anybody read it?

The Way of Kings: The Stormlight Archive

Very Good, much better than his earlier works. Though be warned he's not finished writing the series yet...
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:39 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading these, after watching the Tv series recently; which is absolutely marvellous mind you.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/63/0e/74/630e74459f3749b3e2d99137ec7dae8a.jpg

WULFSTAN
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 20 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading god of war by christian cameron i think he's a great writer.
Your backside is better enough for you to run again, if need be – bristle up the courage of the cornered rat, put on a bold front, and to hell with them. Bluff my boy – bluff, shift and lie for the sake of your neck and the honour of Old England

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:05 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished a couple of cheap buys, more to try out the author than anything.

The Woman in Blue (Elly Griffiths) is part of a series about archaeology/detective/murder stuff in rural England. Standard fare and helps pass the time. Don't bother though.

My Sister's Grave (Robert Dugoni) is better. A Seattle female cop seeks justice for her kid sister (disappeared 20 years previously) and the facts begin to unravel in a fairly fast and interesting way. Believable, and well told, story. Not earth shattering but you could do worse if you were looking for something for a long train journey. Not as good as Girl on a Train, which was quite good, but what else are you going to read without having to think too much?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:36 - 01 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gave up with the crime fiction as I can't find an author that holds my attention, so instead, I've gone with non-fiction.

Currently reading Gotti - The Rise and Fall, by Jerry Capeci and Gene Mustain. Aka the 'Teflon Don', and the 'Dapper Don'. One of the highest profile mob bosses there has ever been.

Think I read this a while ago, but I'm fascinated by Mafia stuff. Beats any of the crime fiction I've read so far.
Got a few more in the same vein lined up:

The Masters of Murder - two book U.S. Mafia history. Strangely, don't know who the author is.

Gaspipe: Confessions of a Mafia Boss, by Philip Carlo. Story of the Lucchese family boss, Anthony 'Gaspipe' Casso.

The Brotherhoods - true story of two cops in N.Y. who did dirty work for the mob.

Casino, by Nicholas Pileggi. The true story that the film came from; the mob in Las Vegas.

Murder Machine. The story of the DeMeo crew, among the most violent of hitmen for the mob.

Mob Boss: The Life of Little Al D'Arco, The Man Who Brought Down The Mafia. Underboss of the Lucchese family, he was the highest ranking mobster to turn government witness in 1991.

Should keep me going for a while Smile

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:56 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy a book every 3-6 months, read 20 pages and put it down to gather dust. The only books to have been finished in the last 5 years are:

Guy Martin (Autobiography pt1, 2 and 3)

Lois Pryce - Lois on the Loose

Lois Pryce - Rad Tape and White Knuckles

And that's it Embarassed

Currently reading The Street Riding Years: Despatching Through 80s London - Chris Scott - Initially found his style annoying, so put it down. Picked it up a month later and laughing + enjoying it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 49 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 21 of 30