Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What book are you reading at the moment?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:53 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
mafia book recommendations

Hmm, an interesting line up of thiings I haven't yet read. Cool
I've mostly read a lot of the older stuff, pre-Gotti.

I read Donny Brasco LONG before the film came out.
About the same time I read Honor Thy Father.

And the biography of Lucky Luciano, can't remember what that was called.

Also, quite an interesting one called The Pizza Connection: Lawyers, Drugs and Money*, which is about the battle between New York mobs in the 1980s and the lawmakers who were struggling to apply the new RICO laws when they first came out. Interestingly, it includes Ruldoph Giuliani as the successful District Attorney, and which did his career no harm at the time.

These were all back in the day when I used to go in the libraries and all those kind of books had had their shiny centre-pictures section razored out by Unknown Persons Laughing I always used to wonder if it were the librarians under instruction from the council, or whether some junior mafioso came along and sliced them out surreptitously in each library ... Shifty

*which always reminded me of that old Warren Zevon song, "Bring Lawyers Guns and Money, the shit has hit the fan..."

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:56 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just started A Confederacy of Dunces, despite not having actually finished any of the five books I recently started in the last 6 months Rolling Eyes

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51LPX4JlA8L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:24 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

Also, quite an interesting one called The Pizza Connection: Lawyers, Drugs and Money*, which is about the battle between New York mobs in the 1980s and the lawmakers who were struggling to apply the new RICO laws when they first came out. Interestingly, it includes Ruldoph Giuliani as the successful District Attorney, and which did his career no harm at the time.

I think I've read that one, a while ago. There's a bit about that mob war in the Gotti one I'm reading now. Chin Gigante (Genovese boss) took umbrage against Gotti knocking off the Gambino boss, Paul Castellano (who he then usurped) - wasn't the done thing to kill another boss, against the rules; although all the rules were being broken left, right and centre in the 80s.

hellkat wrote:
These were all back in the day when I used to go in the libraries and all those kind of books had had their shiny centre-pictures section razored out by Unknown Persons Laughing I always used to wonder if it were the librarians under instruction from the council, or whether some junior mafioso came along and sliced them out surreptitously in each library ... Shifty

Could be the cops, pinning them up on a board in their incident room, trying to figure out the mob hierarchy? (I know all this stuff...seen it in the movies, init ) Laughing

Have you read this one?:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003LPUXJE/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Makes the American Mafia look like a bunch of pussies Shocked
And I'm looking for one I'm sure I've seen mentioned, about the Sicilians in New York, 1980s Question
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:45 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just added this one to the reading list:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007R2WKRK/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:50 - 05 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ehhhh ... I've not read either of those, either.
Been yonks since I've got caught up in mafia biogs.
Might go back to 'em*, cos I recently binge-watched the whole of The Sopranos and I kinda miss the lingo. I've started going "Ohhhhhhhhhwwwwww" out loud in "that accent" if something bad happens Laughing

*when I've finished reading the half dozen books I'm currently halfway through Rolling Eyes

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:24 - 05 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
I recently binge-watched the whole of The Sopranos

I haven't ever seen one episode of that. Embarassed
Something told me to stay away from a mob soap opera. I thought it might be like Neighbours with the odd murder thrown in Laughing
Is it actually worth a look then?

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:34 - 05 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was the same, tried to watch it, couldn't get past first episode for years.

Worth it.

Only started watching it last year, well after James Gandolfini was dead, so I knew from the start there would be no more.

Then I got addicted and binge-watched it from end to end.

Until I watched it, I never knew that my favourite of the lieutenants is in Bruce Springsteen's E Street band (Steven Van Zandt) Cool Cool

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:48 - 05 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched Sopranos when it was on Channel 4 in 2000 and loved it. It's dark comedy, casual violence and the way it constantly challenges your opinions of the characters.

For me, the greatest TV of all time (my lifetime anyway) (closely followed by Band of Brothers).

It raised the bar of everything that followed. Consequently, I'm not sure if would have the same impact coming to it now, with so many aspects having been re-used in other series. But only one way to find out!

James Gandolfini was incredible, but so were the whole cast. The writers and producers went on to more acclaim and became heavy weights in the TV series market.

Pine Barrons is one of my favourite episodes. Just wonderful.

Without giving too much away. The final episode caused a bit of controversy (first world problems yo) and left me open mouthed the first time I saw it. But having watched it again, it definitely cemented the legacy of one of the greatest TV shows of recent times.

Yes, I should get out more Smile

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:56 - 06 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Pine Barrens is REALLY good, whatever happened to that Russian Laughing who knows!

I was watching Mean Streets (Scorsese: DeNiro/Keitel) the other night, and it really reminded me of the Sopranos.

Whilst I was binge-watching the series, my sense of compatriotism with Tony Soprano, was that I was getting to such a level of enmity with my own mother, that - even though he annoyed me in sooooo many other ways - I could really relate to him on that level. How can you love your mother and yet still want to crack her one over the head with a shovel for her behaviour.

The whole series resonated with me on various levels, though.
I had a crush on at least half the cast.
I even related to the shrink (wtf, nobody relates to shrinks Shocked )

I think it must be the accents Laughing

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:54 - 06 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Yeah, Pine Barrens is REALLY good, whatever happened to that Russian Laughing who knows!

Tony Soprano: [over the phone] It's a bad connection so I'm gonna talk fast! The guy you're looking for is an ex-commando! He killed sixteen Chechen rebels single-handed!
He was with the Interior Ministry. Guy's like a Russian green beret. He can not come back and tell this story. You understand?

Paulie 'Walnuts': I hear you.

[hangs up]

Paulie 'Walnuts': You're not gonna believe this. He killed sixteen Czechoslovakians. Guy was an interior decorator.

Christopher Moltisanti: Really, his house looked like shit.

Laughing Get's me every time.

Did you find yourself saying things like "uh, marone".

When I good mate walks in the door I say "here he is".

Or when gently ribbing a friend / colleague for banging on about something, "this guy/gal with his/her thing". You know what I mean Smile

And with some of the long-term workers "just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in". Originally a Godfather quote, but we quote it because of Silvio.

As I said, need to get out more Very Happy

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:09 - 06 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:

Did you find yourself saying things like "uh, marone".

hahahahaha!!!
Like I said ^^ I find myself going "Ohhhhhhhwwww!!" when someone does something I don't like.

Quote:

And with some of the long-term workers "just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in". Originally a Godfather quote, but we quote it because of Silvio.

But its the way Silvio says it ... sooooo much better than even Michael Corleone Laughing ... (and I'm a BIG fan of Michael Corleone Wub )

I once referred to a girl I know amongst some biker friends as "his goomar" and nobody knew what I meant. Brick Wall

I just crack up with Paulie and Silvio's bickering Laughing

Last edited by hellkat on 23:17 - 06 Mar 2017; edited 1 time in total

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:10 - 06 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe you got that dialogue right. What, nobody said, "Fuggedaboudit!" ? Folded arms

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:12 - 06 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

They say it alllllllllla the time Laughing

groovylee
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:09 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

just finished reading the Surtees - my life on two and four wheels - book. bit of a coffee table effort tbh, rather than one to read in bed, but I did find it very interesting Thumbs Up

before that - 2nd and 3rd guy martin books. liked them both.

next? god knows Confused

Current - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000R & 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:40 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/f8/79/4b/f8794b3ae83cbd2547786ada95617602.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:13 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

God, I remember that being in my dad's library when I was a kid Laughing

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:30 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
God, I remember that being in my dad's library when I was a kid Laughing

It was from my grandfathers collection, I found it in the loft a couple of weeks ago.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hedgehugger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:09 - 16 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood, and for afters I have Neil Gaiman's Norse Mythology lined up.

Billy Balthorpe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 01:42 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocket Men, Ron Haslam's autobiography.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:08 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Currently reading Gotti - The Rise and Fall, by Jerry Capeci and Gene Mustain.

Essential reading for Mafia buffs.

Quote:
Gaspipe: Confessions of a Mafia Boss, by Philip Carlo. Story of the Lucchese family boss, Anthony 'Gaspipe' Casso.

Can't really recommend this one. Carlo is obviously starstruck and not impartial, and Casso complains about the erosion of omertà and the mob's traditional 'values' - whilst being a big-time drug dealer himself; complains about how he was virtually forced into the position of Lucchese family boss against his will; complains about how everyone turned into rats - then became the biggest one himself; complains about how he was ill-used by the FBI after turning. It's like he's looking for sympathy. I mean, really? Its only saving grace is that it does add one or two things to the overall picture of what went on in the mob at that time, but only really when you can confirm things elsewhere.

Quote:
Murder Machine. The story of the DeMeo crew, among the most violent of hitmen for the mob.

Excellent read. Rings true, and very evocative of the Mob lifestyle in New York in the 70s and 80s. Recommended.
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:11 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orphan X (Gregg Hurwitz) surprised me, as I don't normally go for "hi-tech killer" stuff but this had me hooked. Short, punchy, chapters and pretty much non-stop action. It's actually a well crafted story, and fairly believable, and I think that most people would enjoy it. Good guy out to sort out the nasties isn't remotely new, but there's more to it than that. 8.5/10

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:18 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one for those of you who want to know who they really are Cool

The Brain (David Eagleham) is a brilliant introduction to what's going on in your head. It's really amazing and I honestly believe that we should all know this stuff. Never boring, never trying to be clever, just a clear description of the crazy things going on in your noddle.

Yeah, I know, it sounds shit, but read it and then tell me you don't rate it.
And don't be put off by the various "peer" reviews claiming that it's over simplified. It's an introduction, not a bloody magnum opus Rolling Eyes 10/10

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:23 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldie wrote:

The Brain (David Eagleham)

There was an accompanying series on the telly. Was very interesting and well presented.

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:41 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked to see if it was on iPlayer, but sadly not. I just picked up the book yesterday and was immediately enthralled.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 35 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 22 of 30