Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What book are you reading at the moment?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Saraya
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:55 - 10 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought the Shayne Silvers - Nate Temple series as Jim is taking too long with his next Dresden book. They're quite good.
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:55 - 11 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems odd to me that he should write it ^ now; has he had a premonition? Shocked
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:31 - 11 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the word you're looking for is, "nutter" Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:56 - 11 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M. Dunlop just seems so much more aggressive somehow than anyone else. You can see it. Doesn't mean he always wins - I wonder if he needs to take a tip from the guys who are smooth if he's going to survive much longer in this game.

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:45 - 12 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldie wrote:
Ready Player One - lives up to the hype. It's a really good book.

Picked this up after you mentioned it here.

Currently 100 pages in and loving it.

Very Happy

ಠ_ಠ

mivster
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:29 - 15 Jun 2017    Post subject: this bad boy Reply with quote

Very Happy

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:26 - 15 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Man's War is free this month from Tor.
https://ebookclub.tor.com/

Tigerlea
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:05 - 16 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helen and Desire
Laughing

Also have The Invisible Library and The Watchmaker of Filigree Street on the go. The former has been amusing and I'm actually contemplating getting further books in the series; the latter is not at all what I expected and I've found it rather dull, but I'm now so far into it I can't bring myself to leave a book unread..

hedgehugger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:00 - 16 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Five by Robert R McCammon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Five-Robert-McCammon-ebook/dp/B00DA6XHEW/ref=la_B000AP7UZS_1_24?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1497617846&sr=1-24

Simple stuff so far, easy read for lazing around the garden.

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:04 - 16 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Stieg Larsson). Easy five stars. Slightly laborious during the evidence gathering but the overall story is excellent and well worth reading. It's the first part of the Millenium series of stories by this author (about which there was a thread on here a few years ago) and I'll be grabbing part 2 whenever I can.

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:26 - 16 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some others that I've finished recently....

"The Strings of Murder" (Oscar de Muriel) is set in Victorian Edinburgh and tells the tale of ostensibly mis-matched detectives trying to solve a Jack the Ripper style case. It's better than it sounds and I give it 4 stars.

"The Good Liar" (Nicholas Serle) is a clever tale of deception. There's a point in the tale when you "get it" and it becomes a rewarding read. Certainly 4 (maybe 5) stars and should appeal to most on here. Quite a bit different than your standard con-man scenario.

"Not Alone" (Craig A Falconer) stands out as a decent sci-fi/contact yarn although sometimes it feels that it's written for teenagers, but still contains a clever plot and overall it works pretty well. Halfway through I was thinking "come on, get on with it" but I got hooked quite quickly thereafter and glad that I finished it. It's probably 4 stars but, of course, some will find it better/worse.

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 01:58 - 17 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

All by Greg Egan. I really don't know what I got myself into Thinking

Quarantine
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarantine_(Greg_Egan_novel)

Permutation City
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permutation_City

Distress
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distress_(novel)

and about to start:
Diaspora
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diaspora_(novel)

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:49 - 18 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flying through them at the moment Cool

Here's another really good one, another bit of science fiction. "Sleeping Giants" (Sylvain Neuvel).

Now, I listened to this as an audio book and it really suits that medium but I guess reading it would be much the same. No fluff, all story, and a good one at that. If you haven't already, try it.

RedPanda
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:59 - 24 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
M. Dunlop just seems so much more aggressive somehow than anyone else. You can see it. Doesn't mean he always wins - I wonder if he needs to take a tip from the guys who are smooth if he's going to survive much longer in this game.

I reckon he'll be okay, he's exciting to watch but that's his style. He's been accident free for a while, I think if he has a big one it'll be down to a mechanical problem. He's a bit like David Jefferies, he was quite scary but had it all under control. Sadly though, no one can cater for spilt oil at that speed.

Anyway, I've just read Dunlop's book. He says himself he's thick as shit (in academic terms) so he didn't 'write' it, but I really enjoyed it. It was very personal, had some unique insights into his family, some humour and of course helps you see inside potentially the best TT racer ever.

I read Hutchy's book over Xmas, that was crap. It lacked so much detail and had bloody chapters on Steve Parrish & Bernie f'n Ecclestone. Shame, it could have been a great book. I'll get McGuinness's on Kindle once it's come down in price.

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:12 - 25 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldie wrote:
Flying through them at the moment Cool

Here's another really good one, another bit of science fiction. "Sleeping Giants" (Sylvain Neuvel).

Now, I listened to this as an audio book and it really suits that medium but I guess reading it would be much the same. No fluff, all story, and a good one at that. If you haven't already, try it.

I've listened to this too, if I was to read this I may have given up, the voice actors do a great job.

The999Kid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:51 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Silmarilion - Tolkein - cant get enough of it but its a hard slog!
NDB 19/10/1989 - 1/11/2010 |Nowhere.Elyseum wrote: I get the distinct feeling that Tim should be our secret weapon for future trolling. I don't know many people that can rip the piss in Iambic pentameter

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:23 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower book 1)

Am re-reading the Dark Tower books before the film comes out.

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:56 - 04 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

FretGrinder wrote:
Oldie wrote:
Ready Player One - lives up to the hype. It's a really good book.

Picked this up after you mentioned it here.

Currently 100 pages in and loving it.

Very Happy

Finished it this morning.

Absolutely loved it, although I can't find anything similar to read, anyone got any recommendations?

ಠ_ಠ

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:13 - 04 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Cleese Autobiography 'So, Anyway...'.
Very interesting and well written.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 269 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 24 of 30