Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What book are you reading at the moment?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 28, 29, 30  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:15 - 22 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished Bruce Dickinson's Autobiography "What does this button do?".

Very entertaining, quite sad, missing some relationship stuff that I would have liked to read about but best book I've read in years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:27 - 22 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foundation by Isaac Asimov.

The rise and fall of galactic empires. It covers quite a large time span so jumps around a bit and seems to cover things in quite broad strokes.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:59 - 22 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mitrokhin Archive, pt.1.

I wonder if one day there'll be similar revelations about Putin's Russia from SVR/FSB archives.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:55 - 23 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:

The rise and fall of galactic empires. It covers quite a large time span so jumps around a bit and seems to cover things in quite broad strokes.

Thumbs Up

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:57 - 23 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just about to start the first of Iain Banks' Colony novels "Consider Plebus"

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 02:19 - 23 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider_uk wrote:
Just about to start the first of Iain Banks' Colony novels "Consider Plebus"

I expect you'll like it. If you do, Matter and The Player of Games are my favourites.

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 07:11 - 23 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished another classic Sci Fi read - Children of Time (Adrian Tchaikovsky). Took my time over it and savoured every moment. 5 stars.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:59 - 13 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phantoms - Dean Koontz

About 1/3 the way through it and it been pretty good so far.

sensi5446
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:46 - 13 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensi5446 wrote:
Reading The Road at the moment, watched the film a few years back so thought I'd give it a try.

Just read Prince and King of thorns (part 1&2 of 3) both are easy reads 7/10.

Just ordered Farnhams freehold and A man called Ove, used from amazon,

I have a Kindel but I can't buy ebook for £7 (Includes VAT)when I can get a real book for £3 (used)

Farnhams freehold and A man called Ove I'd give 10/10

Now reading ready player one - cool so far

The road - been reading it on and off since Feb

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:29 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped reading books for a bit, but today I finally got round to reading Ender's Game (partly because the film got slated (which is one of my top movies) and I wanted to see how different it was)

I'm a very slow reader at the best of times, but I almost managed to get through the whole book today.... I enjoyed it so much I'm going to finish this one and try reading the rest in the series.

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:39 - 10 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym wrote:
I stopped reading books for a bit, but today I finally got round to reading Ender's Game (partly because the film got slated (which is one of my top movies) and I wanted to see how different it was)

I'm a very slow reader at the best of times, but I almost managed to get through the whole book today.... I enjoyed it so much I'm going to finish this one and try reading the rest in the series.

Good luck with that, Enders Game is more like a one off book. The rest go off in completely different directions. Most are ok.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:49 - 10 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mate of mine recommended Ender's Game years ago, but it took me a long time to actually get around to reading it. It was almost a one sitting read, and I immediately procured the remaining books. Enjoyed them all.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:56 - 10 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:

Is that your first one in the series, or have you read the two prequels yet? I read them in the order of publishing but keep meaning to read them in chronological story order.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:56 - 11 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldie wrote:
Just finished another classic Sci Fi read - Children of Time (Adrian Tchaikovsky). Took my time over it and savoured every moment. 5 stars.

Really liked this; been meaning to see what 'Dogs of war' is like.

sensi5446 wrote:

Just ordered Farnhams freehold

Read this as a teenager and really liked it then - only when I recently properly "discovered" the rest of his works did I realise it was Heinlein.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:10 - 11 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
duhawkz wrote:

Is that your first one in the series, or have you read the two prequels yet? I read them in the order of publishing but keep meaning to read them in chronological story order.

That was the first one in the series, i was reading them in published order.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:47 - 11 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51BAyQG8SIL._SX316_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I'm working my way through Chris Brookmyre's output again. Thumbs Up

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:42 - 11 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I struggle these days with books, as firstly after looking at fibre optics all day my eyes are too fucked to read, and secondly it takes me nearly all month just to read two bike magazines, as im a lazy bastard.

I've just started reading 'Cosa Nostra' and I hope it'll be good as I like reading about the history of organised crime and real life criminal gangs and activities.

I read 'Made Men' last autumn and enjoyed that alot, it was like a better version of 'Donnie Brasco'.

I also like my autobiographies, the Casey Stoner book was a good read, and he had a much harder route into racing than most of his rivals IMO.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:43 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I struggle these days with books, as firstly after looking at fibre optics all day my eyes are too fucked to read, and secondly it takes me nearly all month just to read two bike magazines, as im a lazy bastard.

I was always against audiobooks, but pretty much solely go for books in this format now - I can listen while driving, walking the dog, shopping and so on, so it's not taking up an otherwise fairly busy schedule and doesn't further test my currently quite strained eyes.

supZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:06 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished reading Part of the Pride.

It's a book written by Kevin Richardson, better known as the lion whisperer. (lionwhisperertv on yootoob).

He's an animal behaviourist and conversationalist who spends most of his time trying to educate people about the horrible canned hunting industry and dwindling numbers of wild animals (not just lions) in the wild in south africa.

The guy is awesome and the relationships he has with the animals in his care is amazing.

Got the book after seeing his dangerous companions documentary and discovering his youtube channel. The book is full of anecdotes about his younger life up to around 8 years ago. Lots of funny, stupid and dangerous situations. The man has a gift for working with these animals but he's done some very stupid things in the heat of the moment (like running into an enclosure where a wild lion has gotten into that was killing the young lions in there.. armed only with a bottle of pepper spray)

Awesome guy, really interesting book

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:21 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
stevo as b4 wrote:

I was always against audiobooks, but pretty much solely go for books in this format now - I can listen while driving, walking the dog, shopping and so on, so it's not taking up an otherwise fairly busy schedule and doesn't further test my currently quite strained eyes.

Agreed, the only problem is if you can't stand the reader then you may miss out on a good book. But then a good reader can make a bad book better and make good books great.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:42 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's been a few that haven't been great - some very much done to a budget by a blind society, for example.

However one that really got me was this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahTNmApGYW0&t=235s - I'd been following the (female) author's "Learning to Learn" Mooc, which she presented.

So it was a bit odd hearing the same anecdotes, often near-verbatim read by a male voice.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:44 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51BAyQG8SIL._SX316_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I'm working my way through Chris Brookmyre's output again. Thumbs Up

I am limiting myself to one or two Brookmyres a year, cos I don't want to break the spell. One of the funniest writers I've encountered, with the similar dark humour* displayed by Carl Hiaasen (another of my favourites).

*possibly darker, due to Brookmyre being Scottish and well-practised in the art of the dour quip.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:08 - 13 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil Gayman - Norse Mythology

Still reading it. Interesting to find that the Thor movies follow the mythology so well. However I can't stop imagining the characters from the movie while reading the book.

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:42 - 13 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently reading Dan Simmons Hyperion Cantos.

Book 1 (Hyperion) was fantastic but the sequel Fall of Hyperion was much less interesting, whilst still good in places.

The third part, Endymion, is almost as good as the first book - and quite different and I'm currently half-way through it.

All in all, highly recommended.

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:55 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

final chapters of return of the king.

It's taken a long time to read the middle earth books by Tolkien. Didn't find them particularly easy going or that enjoyable. Only really return of the king that I enjoyed although the destruction of the ring seems to be over pretty quick. Very little detail in how the armies of the Dark Lord fall, they just disappear.

Not seen the movies either, so might watch them now.

Next fiction read will be hermann hesse - siddhartha.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 289 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 29 of 30