Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

It left me aghast...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:56 - 28 Jul 2004    Post subject: It left me aghast... Reply with quote

Will you be surprised at this?

I was just standing by my bike parked in the Oracle bike park today, busy fiddling with the annoying D ring fastner on my new lid when I saw something that made me wonder if some people are born without a brain in their heads. I had started my bike, and I was just reaching for one of my gloves when a girl arrived and started to walk in between the railings. I thought this to be very odd as she was not carrying a crash helmet or anything.

As I struggled to pull the cuffs of my gloves over the cuffs of my jacket, I noticed her stroll up to a nice baby blue piaggio that was chained to the railings. She opened the seat with a key she pulled from the pocket of her jeans, and pulled out a lid. I thought at that point she would also pull out some gloves and some shoes, as she was wearing a T shirt, Jeans and flip flops. But no.

She hopped on the bike and pulled it back, the only protective gear she was wearing was her lid!

As she rode off I stood there aghast that she could ride a scooter, with nothing on her feet other than a flimsy pair of flip flops!

Now, call me a safety minded old codger if you will, but what happens if she gets knocked off her scoot?

I shudder to think...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

zaknafien

PostPosted: 21:58 - 28 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Her choice, not yours.

I think that sum's it up nicely.

Mr. Green

iCraig
World Chat Champion

Hmmm, Nice snapped legs, arms, nice gravel rash and about as much skin left the size of a postage stamp!

People who ride without any protection in my eyes are stupid Confused.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

Mark, you're a sftey minded old codger!
I see the kids around here doing htat all the time - I've given up trying to tell them they are stupid. I guess they would rather learn the hard way. Rolling Eyes

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:01 - 28 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idiot yes. Does it really take much brain power to work out what will happen if she falls off? Neutral

Yes it is her choice as it will be her who is left with all the problems, but it will also have an affect on others and she should also give that a bit of thought first as well.

mrchips
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:03 - 28 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair its her choice. It may not be a wise choice, but at the end of the day it is her decision. I'm sure none of us can say on a scortching day we havn't went out in our trainers and jeans. I have rode in Adidas trousers and a t-shirt, I have been taking it easy on such occasions, but if I fall on my own head be it.

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 22:12 - 28 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, nothing special. See it in London all the time.

Each to their own, I say. I rode my scooter around in 'civvies' plenty (and got really bad sunburn, lesson learnt) and will ride my bike in 'inappropriate clothing' when I choose to.

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 22:14 - 28 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

its manly ped boi`s l see in summer with only there lid and shorts, bare feet and backs, and you get the odd one on something like a GSXR 600 complete mad Surprised , l know l don,t wear enought protection with leather bike jacket and jeans and trainers because l,ve spent all my money on my bikes, leathers are next objective.

people just don,t understand whats going to happen if they come off even at 30mph could cause serious injury
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:15 - 28 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not really that she was in civvies or anything. It was more that she seemed to be oblivious to the fact that her feet would be screwed up if she came off.

It was almost like nobody has ever told her that it could happen, so she never thought about it.

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

PostPosted: 22:15 - 28 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrchips wrote:
I'm sure none of us can say on a scortching day we havn't went out in our trainers and jeans.

I can. I have honestly never ridden in anything other than boots (ok, I wear clothes too) in over 15 years of riding. The thought of mangling an ankle due to not wearing boots is enough to make me wear them all the time.

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 22:23 - 28 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

People are either too stupid to have even thought about it, in which case it's natural selection, or they've made an informed decision to dress that way. Either way, doesn't bother me.

Maybe her feet were hot. Saw loads of people riding in sandals today, cos it was absolutely baking in town.

billy whizz
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:23 - 28 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well whilst i agree it is her choice it's got to be said if she had a small plate or race can she would have been stopped by the police and fined. Obviously the latter is more a danger to life and limb Confused
And no i've never ridden in anything other than my leathers, i 've seen too many people who have come off both with and without protective clothing!

Last edited by billy whizz on 22:26 - 28 Jul 2004; edited 1 time in total

Big Pete
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:24 - 28 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes me wince seeing people with no gear on, last summer I was passed by a `Blade doing about 110 on a dual carriageway at about 6PM. The guy riding was wearing nylon shorts, beach shoes, T-shirt and lid. It took me about half an hour to get the image of the potential roadrash out of my head. Even a bee strike is going to hurt dressed like that.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:25 - 28 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much always wear my bike boots, yes I have riden a few times with trainers on, but not far at all really and havn't done it I don't think since I was riding a 125 bike. Not worth it, as your ankle just needs a bad knock and it's buggered for life.

Do sometimes ride in jeans, boots, jacket, gloves and helmet, have never riden without gloves as from riding push bikes I am aware how much tarmac hurts when you land with your hands out and that not going fast at all really so don't really want to try it at a faster speed. Do wear protective trousers if I'm going any distance, but wear jeans sometimes on shorter distance stuff.

Have an will continue wearing jeans sometimes when I ride, but the minimum I will ride in pretty much is Sidi's, jeans, jacket, gloves and helmet.

Do see people all the times riding in shorts, t-shirt and trainers on scooters, as the bike dones't go fast they don't need to worry about the ground hurting them. Rolling Eyes They're going to at some point learn a hard lesson, the hard and painful way so that's their own lookout as they'll be the one who has their skin and flesh acting as a brake for them, and they'll be the ones in bad pain.

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 22:26 - 28 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

billy whizz wrote:
Well whilst i agree it is her choice it's got to be said if she had a small plate or race can she would have been stopped by the police and fined. Obviously the latter is more a danger to life and limb Confused

Fair point, but the small plate is an offence cos of the implication to *others* and the can is cos of the nuisance to *others*.

Her losing her skin is mainly her problem. Though not the nicest thing for the medics that scrape her up off the road to have to deal with, I'm sure.

billy whizz
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:29 - 28 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:

Fair point, but the small plate is an offence cos of the implication to *others* and the can is cos of the nuisance to *others*.

Her losing her skin is mainly her problem. Though not the nicest thing for the medics that scrape her up off the road to have to deal with, I'm sure.

And who do you reckon picks up the bill for all the attention she would need if she came off? Me and you assuming you pay taxes!

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:33 - 28 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the time I was thinking more of 'mummy and daddy' and what they would say if their cute little daughter ended up in hospital.

Not only would it be truly horrible for them to hear about it from an officer of the law etc...they would blame the scooter.

"Ooh. Don't buy one of those nasty motorbike things. Our little katy was left unable to walk because of those! No, horrid things they are..."

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:35 - 28 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The can and the small plate are breaking the law, and you're legally allowed to ride wearing whatever you want as long as you're wearing a helmet. Can the laws behind it are fairly obvious and understandable really (still want them to change them Laughing ) and the same for small plates, doesn't take much brain power to work out why they have that law.

The NHS pay the bills for the attention needed if she or anyone else comes off. That's the entire point of the NHS, otherwise we'd just have a system like America where everyone has private health insurance. And your statement os "Me and you assuming you pay taxes", you need to include her in that as she pays taxes, either that or steals petrol Laughing . The NHS is there to give you health help as and when needed, thats the entire point of it. Yes it does clog the NHS up and could have been avoided, but the NHS is pretty much there for when things like that happen.

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 22:38 - 28 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

billy whizz wrote:

And who do you reckon picks up the bill for all the attention she would need if she came off? Me and you assuming you pay taxes!

Yup.

But I'd rather it work that way than there be a law that we all have to dress up like powerrangers all the time. And if you start going down the 'NHS shouldn't have to pay for self-inflicted injuries' route then you could argue that they shouldn't treat smokers or fat people...

Penny Coin Penny Coin

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:41 - 28 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if it went down that route the NHS wouldn't ever have to treat anyone in hospital really, as you could argue that pretty much everything could have been avoided. Could say that they wouldn't have had a heart attack if they had eaten a more healthy diet, could say they wouldn't have lung problems if they didn't smoke (but think how much tax the smokers pay to the government which everyone benefits from) and pretty much everything apart from stuff like cancer and stuff you cannot prevent. Wouldn't work at all.

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 22:42 - 28 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

We pay tax so that people can fix us when we're idiots. Thumbs Up

Susi
Whitton Girl

PostPosted: 22:42 - 28 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's quite normal to see people as you described MarJay around London riding their peds.

In fact in one day you'll see over 10 persons in the exact same getup and they're usually office types on their way to work.

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 22:48 - 28 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hola from Spain!

Just logged on here, costing me a fortune, so I have to be quick.

There are people here that ride mopeds and large motorbikes with nothing more than flipflops and shorts, or bikinis for girls.

As Zak said, it's up to her, it's her choice.

I rented a Yamaha DT here to get about a bit, I don't wear gloves, I ride it in shorts and a t-shirt - my choice, I would probably harm myself considerably riding in protective gear for more than 10 minutes anyway, because of the heat.

I know what'll happen if I fall off, everything in life is a calculated risk.

dipsy
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:54 - 28 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

My other half sees it all the time, every saturday and sunday as he is an instructer.

The state some kidsand adults turn up in makes him want to refuse to do thier CBT but he can't, as long as they wear a helmet their ok as that is the law.

The company he works for does insist that they wear gloves also.

billy whizz
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:02 - 28 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i agree with all of you, i was being literal to prove a point, at the end of the day we do all end up paying in some way for idiots on bikes or scooters. If you think we don't your just kidding yourselves, but it is just my opinion! Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 279 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3