Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

sueing the hospital (yes or no)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:27 - 09 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:

have seen the x ray they took after i came round from the op and that clearly shows a break in the fibula if i can see it why didn't they

the break is towards the bottom of my leg but they have always said tibial plateau fracture

Has the radiologist or orthopod confirmed or admitted that what you saw on the X-ray is in fact a fracture?

Because a lot of things that appear on X-rays such as lines and shadows are artifacts. This "fracture" you saw could be an artifact, or it could be a fracture that was misinterpreted as an artifact.

The fibula isn't a weight bearing bone, so people with broken fibs can walk on them, but it can affect ankle stability.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:50 - 19 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only a week late and I've had the reply from the NHS trusts area manager. They've been speaking with their solicitors and my 'complaint' is being referred back to social services and the police.

He's escalated my complaint to an official complaint so that will hopefully be dealt with in a way that follows all the necessary procedures and timescales.

And they're also arranging an assessment which should be have been done 17 months ago when the issue was first raised.

I wonder if I've actually got their attention now and so this will be dealt with properly. Confused

DottyDuck
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:38 - 19 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikertomm wrote:
This thread reminds me of this mong Laughing

https://i1.ytimg.com/vi/T84lqD6-Ub4/mqdefault.jpg

GWS Thumbs Up

https://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-ash2/50507_290950355158_14659_n.jpg

Laughing

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 19:16 - 20 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:

It's the management that really don't do the NHS any favours. The front line staff do what they can with what they let them have. Then again there are front line staff who just go through the motions, like any workforce.

A little unfair... There's a mix in both front line and back office / management.

I would be classed as NHS management and am not the only individual working hard to make the NHS the best it possibly can be for every single individual patient. Sometimes it's really, really hard - like this year where in my area alone we have to 'find' £33m to "save" even though every hospital has done everything it possibly already could have done in the last five years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:26 - 21 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently in the final stages of a claim against a local NHS trust due to my fracture last year. Now i work for another local trust and explained what went on to a work colleague (Orthopaedic Consultant) and they advised me to take my case to a medical Negligence Solicitors.

I presented at A&E after a RTA with severe pain on the lateral (Outside) of my left knee. Didn't get triaged waited 25 mins as they bleeped the Orthopaedic on call.

It was X rayed and told no fracture just a very severe sprain with possible ligament damage. And to try weight bearing as pain allowed.

This went on for two weeks, so i went back to the GP and my knee, leg was still swollen and as painful as the day i went. GP requested a MRI Scan, which came along 5 days later, and the report of the MRI few days after that. I was rung up by my gp and told to attend asap, was told i had a Fractured fibula, and a torn Lateral ligament.

I was then referred to Fracture clinic the same day and was put in a above knee cast for six weeks and a Hinged Knee Brace for a further 4 weeks and then physio for 8 weeks.

The solicitors report which was done by a Orthopaedic Consultant at another hospital concluded, yes the fracture was not initally seen on the X ray, however the knee instability should have been followed up by a further scan either through fracture clinic or admitted into hospital and done as a inpatient. And then the same treatment as above cast 6 weeks, knee brace and physio.

However the hospital did not do any follow up, me and my gp had to get the ball rolling. And because of the initial delay my treatment was delayed.

They are currently awaiting a settlement figure from the NHS Trust in question.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 11:38 - 21 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

bwfc4eva86 wrote:
Currently in the final stages of a claim against a local NHS trust due to my fracture last year. Now i work for another local trust and explained what went on to a work colleague (Orthopaedic Consultant) and they advised me to take my case to a medical Negligence Solicitors.

I presented at A&E after a RTA with severe pain on the lateral (Outside) of my left knee. Didn't get triaged waited 25 mins as they bleeped the Orthopaedic on call.

It was X rayed and told no fracture just a very severe sprain with possible ligament damage. And to try weight bearing as pain allowed.

This went on for two weeks, so i went back to the GP and my knee, leg was still swollen and as painful as the day i went. GP requested a MRI Scan, which came along 5 days later, and the report of the MRI few days after that. I was rung up by my gp and told to attend asap, was told i had a Fractured fibula, and a torn Lateral ligament.

I was then referred to Fracture clinic the same day and was put in a above knee cast for six weeks and a Hinged Knee Brace for a further 4 weeks and then physio for 8 weeks.

The solicitors report which was done by a Orthopaedic Consultant at another hospital concluded, yes the fracture was not initally seen on the X ray, however the knee instability should have been followed up by a further scan either through fracture clinic or admitted into hospital and done as a inpatient. And then the same treatment as above cast 6 weeks, knee brace and physio.

However the hospital did not do any follow up, me and my gp had to get the ball rolling. And because of the initial delay my treatment was delayed.

Having had this injury myself you should have been admitted for immediate investigative surgery.
There would also be likelihood of damage to the common perennial nerve as well as ACL and PCL damage which would need immediate investigation.

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:52 - 21 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
bwfc4eva86 wrote:

Having had this injury myself you should have been admitted for immediate investigative surgery.
There would also be likelihood of damage to the common perennial nerve as well as ACL and PCL damage which would need immediate investigation.

I never mentioned that. But for three days post injury i did get a very numb and cold foot. But i just Iced and elevated it and it seemed to ease off. Do get the odd shooting pains down my leg now just under two years later.

After being discharged by the first hospital i put a tight tubagrip around the knee and stayed None weight bearing with crutches. As deep down i knew it wasn't a sprain.

Thought none displaced Fibula fractures only required Conservative treatment with a Above knee cast/Brace? I know at the ankle end they like to go in surgically.

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:08 - 21 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
bwfc4eva86 wrote:

Was yours a Avulsion fracture to the fibula head? Reading up on it, it does seems that if the Fibula Colateral Ligament is torn they which is was ever so slightly they do normally like to go in and suture it back together and k wire the fibula head.

I think because mine was starting to heal well after a long winded diagnosis they decided to immobilize it and see how it goes.

But looking back, if it was diagnosed properly in the first place the aboved surgical intervention would of been used.

I'm just hoping with the settlement figure it covers loss of earnings £4000 plus travel costs.

The hospital is well know in the local area as being very very poor.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:54 - 21 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went in to hospital with possible pericarditis and had an angiogram done.... which somehow during the procedure they managed to tear an artery in my heart, which they repaired with 5 stents.

About 9 months later I started getting breathless walking short distances, it took me 9 months of whinging and moaning for the doctors and hospital to actually listen to me, but which point 1 of the stents had more or less completely blocked. I couldn't walk from the livingroom to the front door without taking a break, my left arm was constantly numb and I ended up getting taken in to hospital 4 weeks early to have my bypass.

I was in for 8 days, I was on paracetamol 36 hours after the operation (with 6 tramadol spread over the last 6 1/2 days), I got an infection in my leg, one of the staples holding the vein closed came through the skin and had to be removed by the doctor.

The fallout of their mistake caused me to lose my job, my wife being the kind caring soul that she was threw me out, I lost my licence, my life turned to absolute shit (and that's an understatement)....

Even after all that.... what happened to me was AN ACCIDENT... I wasn't looking for anyone to blame..... look on the bright side, you're still alive aren't you? September 2013 my friends mum went in to have a stent fitted in her leg, there was complications and they had to amputate the leg the next day, the next day she was given 12 hours to live... she lasted almost 30 hours.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:29 - 21 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym wrote:
look on the bright side, you're still alive aren't you?

"Well if it isn't my old friend Mr McGreg, with a leg for an arm and an arm for a leg!"

https://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lw12dcNFkU1qgrp5zo1_500.jpg

kernow24
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 02:07 - 23 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
solicitors cant do a lot at moment due to the fact im still being treated for things

they wont settle until the medical side is sorted as they dont know how long i need to claim loss of earnings for

off to see my consultant in january again signed off work til then and then may need to have an operation so will then need yet another 8 weeks off work

and awaiting an appointment to see a independant consultant for the claim to give them a proper report as the last one was not an expert on broken bones

so im at the mercy of doctors at the moment

solicitors are calling me every week with bits of info

on the upside am now on a higher rate of benifit and have just had a raise in tax credits so have a bit extra cash coming in

this still isnt the 350 quid a week i was earning though Twisted Evil

dont enjoy the extra it too much, it all has to be paid back, you'll shortly be recieving certificates from the compensation recovery unit saying you owe them many thousands of pounds Rolling Eyes

My latest one says I owe them 7k or so Laughing

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 11:07 - 23 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

bwfc4eva86 wrote:

Was yours a Avulsion fracture to the fibula head? Reading up on it, it does seems that if the Fibula Colateral Ligament is torn they which is was ever so slightly they do normally like to go in and suture it back together and k wire the fibula head.

Good luck with the healing, and the case.

Having had a severe knee injury 7 months ago, I feel your pain. I was diagnosed with a dislocated patella when in actual fact the whole of my knee was dislocated with ACL, PCL, Medial, POL fully ruptured, tear on the patella and quads tendon plus a fracture to my tibia. It seems that A&E departments aren't great at diagnosing or understanding soft tissue damage (TWO doctors poked my knee cap and said I was fine to go home with a paracetamol, when actually there was just one ligament holding the bottom of my leg on! Laughing)

Having chatted to my surgeon, there was subsequent damage to the FCL (a tear from my second fall after being sent home) but he chose not to do anything about that because the rest of the knee had so much damage it could destabilise it further - it's possible your consultant decided the same - especially if it's starting to heal itself.

I hope your recovery will be quicker without having had the surgery, I'm struggling now with the amount of scar tissue in my knee from having had two large open knee procedures.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:15 - 23 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update

Had a letter apologising today

A few of the points are wrong but am happy they apologised and admit to being wrong

Don't think I will take it further
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:54 - 24 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annabella wrote:
bwfc4eva86 wrote:

Good luck with the healing, and the case.

Having had a severe knee injury 7 months ago, I feel your pain. I was diagnosed with a dislocated patella when in actual fact the whole of my knee was dislocated with ACL, PCL, Medial, POL fully ruptured, tear on the patella and quads tendon plus a fracture to my tibia. It seems that A&E departments aren't great at diagnosing or understanding soft tissue damage (TWO doctors poked my knee cap and said I was fine to go home with a paracetamol, when actually there was just one ligament holding the bottom of my leg on! Laughing)

Having chatted to my surgeon, there was subsequent damage to the FCL (a tear from my second fall after being sent home) but he chose not to do anything about that because the rest of the knee had so much damage it could destabilise it further - it's possible your consultant decided the same - especially if it's starting to heal itself.

I hope your recovery will be quicker without having had the surgery, I'm struggling now with the amount of scar tissue in my knee from having had two large open knee procedures.

5 months recovery time. Just under two years later feels fine.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 302 days between these two posts...

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 07:11 - 22 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

"the independent report indicates that the care you received from [nameless NHS trust] was inadequate"

In writing from the CEO.

It's impressive that the independent report found that as the manager handling the complaint has been as obstructive and misleading as possible.

For example, the letter also speaks of how "a senior clinician was appointed to received your complaint but unfortunately this did not reach a conclusion as you disengaged, not responding to calls and letters and not turning up for meetings". That's not true, when I spoke with that senior clinician he told me that there was no complaint on file and that if I wanted to do anything then the first thing would be to contact PALS. Which I did in August last year and he would have known that had the manager handling the complaint provided him with all the paperwork.

Then there's "I understand that following conversations ith you an informal review was undertaken by [someone who'll remain nameless for now] in December 2014." That's also not true, I have a letter from that person in December 2014 in which he says "I feel a more formal investigation is indicated and I will instigate on your behalf our formal complaints procedure."

Those are just two examples from many.

The independent report has three recommendations, the letter from the CEO is dated the 29th of September and chasing them up yesterday nothing at all has happened or progressed yet.

Is it usual for NHS complaints to be handled in an off the record fashion where almost nothing is documented, notes aren't shared, inaccuracies in what has been documented aren't corrected, etc etc etc?

They're well aware that the handling of the complaint has only exacerbated the problems, they staff handling the complaint haven't helped in any way, all they've done is cause further problems.

They're so fucking useless it's unreal!! Rolling Eyes

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:41 - 22 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of sounding like a broken Tef, nothing will change until it's more expensive for them to get it wrong than to get it right.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 07:51 - 22 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had they dealt with this in August last year then the total number of staff hours spent dealing with it would be much lower. Had they dealt with it in 2011, 2012, 2013 or 2014 then it would be even lower.

It all just goes around in circles, until they document my complaint then any 'investigating' is just an exercise in futility. It's impossible for anything to progress without that being done, all they're doing is ignoring it until I stop chasing them up.

The handling of my complaint is in itself a cause for complaint, the managers contempt for the policies and procedures (and legislation) is somewhat shocking. The only thing that he's been careful about is being as obstructive and misleading as possible.

I can't make them do anything and they exploit that. Sad

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:13 - 22 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sue+the+nhs

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:29 - 22 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll already have a black mark against my name from making a complaint, I already am concerned that that will impact on care received and involving solicitors is unlikely to have a positive effect.

Damn if you do and damned if you don't.

Confused

monkeybiker
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:44 - 22 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened with claim with the car that crashed into you? They were the one to blame they say they were flashed out which is no defense so why is they not paying?

Why even bother with all this talk of suing NHS until car insurance claim is done?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:54 - 22 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're thinking of someone else.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:54 - 22 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck - I hate that flashing out bullshit. Someone at a junction looking to turn right, confronted by a queue immediately to their left and right. Vehicle closest to them on the right flashes, so they just peel out and turn right - as though said vehicle has done all the necessary observation, rather than sent them a signal to be interpreted as "Yeah alright luv I can't get much further up the road, might as well give way for yer." What fuckwits these twats are that take this as a message to just carry blithely on across two lanes. I do try not to get fucked off with this kind of shit because we all make mistakes, whether in car or on bike - but this one just always gets to me somehow.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:21 - 22 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
I'll already have a black mark against my name from making a complaint, I already am concerned that that will impact on care received and involving solicitors is unlikely to have a positive effect.

Damn if you do and damned if you don't.

Confused

Win enough to fu​ck off the NHS and go private.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:38 - 22 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

NHS person who isn't an evil manager asked me if I've considered talking to a solicitor about the problems with the complaint.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:06 - 22 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
NHS person who isn't an evil manager asked me if I've considered talking to a solicitor about the problems with the complaint.

https://zaloopa.slonique.net/%D1%80%D0%B5%D0%B0%D0%BA%D1%86%D0%B8%D1%8F/DO%20IT%20FAGGOT/1292774092272.jpg

Once you're into meta-complaints, it's institutional, you're looking at table pounding and punitive damages. Got to be worth speaking to a conditional-fee ambulance-suer about it, right?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 160 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4