Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Todays - What grinds my gears *ARCHIVE*

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 419, 420, 421 ... 696, 697, 698  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:20 - 01 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebay and paypal fees when you are selling. Evil or Very Mad

They have you over a barrel and don't they know it.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:37 - 01 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fourte wrote:
Courier265 wrote:
Bought dinner home tonight, Saveloy and small chips.... it was fucking awful, my local chippie really has gone down hill....

You got lucky. At least yours was from a chippy and not the Urban Dictionary. Bonus points if yours was without a dip.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Saveloy%20Dip

Ewww.... that's disgusting...

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:39 - 01 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weather is grinding my gears right now, it's cold and wet and just bloody horrible outside.

I'm suppose to be working on my bike today..... got that master cylinder to fit....

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:36 - 01 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

£1 eBay fees this wkend.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:03 - 01 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

£1 eBay fees this wkend.

Cheers but sods law, no tiller pins made at the moment. Rolling Eyes

Actually will have a look as I have a marine gearbox to get shot of but I'm not paying ebays final valuation fees on that as I hope to get around £300 for it.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:38 - 01 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sell as listed elsewhere, £10 deposit by PayPal etc and tell buyers to speak to you first. You might be able to bypass final fees if you can pull the listing once it's sold avoiding PayPal and it's huge fees. They'll be almost nothing on a tenner.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:21 - 02 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fourte wrote:
Sell as listed elsewhere, £10 deposit by PayPal etc and tell buyers to speak to you first. You might be able to bypass final fees if you can pull the listing once it's sold avoiding PayPal and it's huge fees. They'll be almost nothing on a tenner.

Yeah tried that, got banned.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:48 - 02 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fourte wrote:

£10 deposit? No, I'll pay in full thanks because I want my purchase to be posted ASAP.

Cancelling the transaction to avoid eBay fees only works with things that are being collected in person as you can give the buyer a discount in return for them agreeing to the transaction being cancelled.

The easiest answer to save on eBay fees in a way that's not fucking around buyers, doing something that's very obviously dodgy or gambling your eBay account is to list stuff where there's a £1 final value fee promotion.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:27 - 03 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

£10 deposit? No, I'll pay in full thanks because I want my purchase to be posted ASAP.

Cancelling the transaction to avoid eBay fees only works with things that are being collected in person as you can give the buyer a discount in return for them agreeing to the transaction being cancelled.

The easiest answer to save on eBay fees in a way that's not fucking around buyers, doing something that's very obviously dodgy or gambling your eBay account is to list stuff where there's a £1 final value fee promotion.

And that's the rub. I moan about the fees but if I'm a buyer I won't even consider anything if I can't pay with paypal. Except cash on collection where I can see the item).

Ste's right. £1 valuation fees when offered are the way to go because even COC still requires the buyer to 'buy' it through ebay and therefore invoke fees as far as I can see.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:02 - 03 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd forgotten to put the collection in person thing.
I did it with an old leccy bicycle a few years back and once I knew it was gonna sell I simply pulled the listing because I claimed the item was broken when we came to looking at it closer. Something like that anyway.
The buyer was happy enough going with the story because they got a bargain and I got a quick sale.

I've never looked but are there not other ways to pay electronically through Ebay? The system works in a similar way, it's just not PayPal.
Or, like most good things have they stopped that too??

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:17 - 03 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fourte wrote:
I'd forgotten to put the collection in person thing.
I did it with an old leccy bicycle a few years back and once I knew it was gonna sell I simply pulled the listing because I claimed the item was broken when we came to looking at it closer. Something like that anyway.
The buyer was happy enough going with the story because they got a bargain and I got a quick sale.

I've never looked but are there not other ways to pay electronically through Ebay? The system works in a similar way, it's just not PayPal.
Or, like most good things have they stopped that too??

There are credit/debit cards but who's going to give numbers, including the CVV to random people on ebay. Pay through Paypal and ebay that's something like 20%? taken. Evil or Very Mad

So the only time it's good is £1 final ebay fees with a cash on collection item otherwise you are caught by the curlys.

I had a warning from ebay for trying to get round hitting the BIN button on a cash on collection item.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:02 - 03 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
£1 valuation fees when offered are the way to go because even COC still requires the buyer to 'buy' it through ebay and therefore invoke fees as far as I can see.

They've been offering them a lot lately, before you used to only very occasionally (maybe once a month?) get a £1, or sometimes a £3 promo. Now every other week they seem to have a £1 promo.

One other way you get stung is they charge the full FVF on postage costs Rolling Eyes So it's best if you can to add postage onto the sale price and offer Free P&P. Just make sure you work it out properly, I've caught myself out a few times thinking that won't cost a lot to send and then it does Brick Wall

Polarbear wrote:
I had a warning from ebay for trying to get round hitting the BIN button on a cash on collection item.

Same Very Happy

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:29 - 03 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must have at least 30 items waiting to sell here, bike gear and all sorts of other odds and ends. I just can't
face the tedious hours putting together listings for it all so I can sell it on. I believe a well written ad = a sale.
I can't be one of these
Quote:
Moterbike jkt 4 sale, used, £30
types who list things on their phones with some badly taken phone pics.

I take proper photos with a camera that buyers can zoom in on a bit to upload them to ebay and I use the full allowance
of pics. Taking them from all angles against a plain background (usually a made bed) in a well lit room. I also weigh
everything so I can more accurately predict postage costs.

If I'm buying, I usually baulk at the sign of a spelling mistake or bad photos in a listing and move on to something else.
I prefer to do business with literate people who can be arsed to present their wares properly like they are something
worth buying, I'm odd like that. Maybe next time there's a £1 offer I'll be more pro active although I've ignored the last
couple of offers, I suspect some motivational nagging may be required.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:54 - 03 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
I just can't face the tedious hours putting together listings for it all so I can sell it on. I believe a well written ad = a sale.
I can't be one of these
Quote:
Moterbike jkt 4 sale, used, £30
types who list things on their phones with some badly taken phone pics.

Yeah I'm just the same as you. Thing is of course, as a result you and I have a garage full of crap to get shot of, whereas Mr Moterbike's is nice and tidy and and he also has some cash in his pocket (albeit not very much. But still more than you and me)

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:17 - 03 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a real chore when you have lots of items to list. My most frustrating part is packaging everything, it's probably fine if you have a fully stocked mail room at work, but if (like me) you only have a collection of grotty old jiffy bags and random boxes then it's a major PITA.

The worst thing is (old) labels that don't want to peel off properly Rolling Eyes

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:21 - 03 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

Yeah I'm just the same as you. Thing is of course, as a result you and I have a garage full of crap to get shot of, whereas Mr Moterbike's is nice and tidy and and he also has some cash in his pocket (albeit not very much. But still more than you and me)

You two have garages. Shocked Luxury! All my crap for sale is under the bed in the spare room! I have one of those gas strut
lifted ottoman style beds in there and eventually I'll get to the point where it won't close and I'll have to sell some stuff. Laughing
All going to plan though, 2019 will be the year I finally get my Grr-age.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:41 - 03 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to Leeds tomorrow to see War Of The Worlds so I thought I'd update my Tomtom's maps.

However, Tomtom Connect tells me that my device Tomtom Go Live 820 is no longer supported as they've made the maps bigger than the available memory.

Simple - go back to a UK only option like we used to have instead of the whole of Europe.

Time to switch to Garmin I think.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:19 - 03 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
ebay stuff

With good hi res photos and a well written description, things sell easily.

If you know what the item is worth then do a buy it now listing so you can set it to require immediate payment and then you don't have to deal with idiots who click buy it now but don't pay until several days later.

List it as buy it now or best offer even if you've got no intention of accepting anything less than the full asking price. Rejecting offers is no bad thing as the eBay page says how many offers have been made which will encourage serious buyers to click buy it now instead of adding it to their watch list.

Anyone who asks a really stupid question wins a place on your blocked bidders list. Laughing

Write some listings on eBay and then save them so you're all ready to go when the next £1 final value fee email arrives in your inbox.

Set your eBay postage preferences to exclude everywhere that you don't like. https://www.ebay.co.uk/ship/prf/excludeRegions I tick all the boxes so everywhere other than mainland UK is excluded. Laughing

I quite like the eBay shutl delivery service as it's less hassle then organising the delivery with a courier company yourself.

Mr. Green

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:51 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
List it as buy it now or best offer even if you've got no intention of accepting anything less than the full asking price. Rejecting offers is no bad thing as the eBay page says how many offers have been made which will encourage serious buyers to click buy it now instead of adding it to their watch list.

I've had people with best offer trying to haggle down to the last penny Rolling Eyes Now I either don't use it or if I'm not sure of the value of something I set it to automatically reject offers below a certain amount.

One odd thing about the eBay £1 offers, the messages with the promo tend to vanish Confused I've had to go through the link on hukd a few times, I thought I was going mad at first with the messages vanishing on eBay but they do for some reason; maybe if you don't accept the offer before the promotion begins?

Buy it now is better for bike parts, breakers tend to inflate prices so you just have to undercut them a bit Cool, and there isn't enough interest in bike parts to reach good sale prices in auctions (I've seen some stuff go stupidly cheap).

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:41 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cars been keyed because the owner of the house I'd parked in front of "doesn't like people parking outside his house"

Vengeance incoming swiftly.

Anyone have an old banger with mot they want to sell? (Stoke Manchester area)

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:24 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Cars been keyed because the owner of the house I'd parked in front of "doesn't like people parking outside his house"

Persuade a local scrap yard to park a cars wanted van outside the house - the bigger the better?

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:44 - 04 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixing the car myself so the money I'm saving is to be spent on a scrapper to park their myself. 😁

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:01 - 05 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contractors who come into work ill...

you get paid shitloads of money take a fucking sick day you greedy prick dont infect me with your cold just before christmas

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:57 - 05 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fourte wrote:
Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

Persuade a local scrap yard to park a cars wanted van outside the house - the bigger the better?

if someone keyed my car and i found out they so blatantly did it, pretty sure id put a molotov through their window.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:34 - 05 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting four email updates for a parcel delivery 2 fecking minutes before it's actually delivered.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 135 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 419, 420, 421 ... 696, 697, 698  Next
Page 420 of 698