Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Todays - What grinds my gears *ARCHIVE*

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 433, 434, 435 ... 696, 697, 698  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:22 - 15 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
M.C wrote:

I do have a theory you do most of your outgoing stuff when you're young and naive to the world, when you gain some experience it scares you Smile

Otoh, when you get older, you come to terms with your mortality more, realising you're actually not going to live forever. By that time, you wonder where your life went, and might start thinking I better get some things done before it's too late. Assuming you still have the energy to do them Laughing

When does that happen? I'm still in crippling self-doubt, suspicious of everything and everyone phase.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:11 - 15 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

When does it happen?
Depends.
Me? 52 (I think) and at an age where a lot of friends are dropping dead now. You begin to realise it'll be you one day!
Absolutely true this: Yesterday I woke up, walked into the bathroom and one of the first thoughts of the day was me realising that I'll die one day. Yup it comes to us all, it really does.
I think I'll die in my sleep - I'll never get to find out!!

If you're younger you should be doing everything and more. I did and would do it all again. Orgies, burn things down. Anything and everything.
Go for it - you get one chance.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:12 - 15 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Otoh, when you get older, you come to terms with your mortality more, realising you're actually not going to live forever. By that time, you wonder where your life went, and might start thinking I better get some things done before it's too late. Assuming you still have the energy to do them Laughing

When does that happen? I'm still in crippling self-doubt, suspicious of everything and everyone phase.

You haven't come to terms with your mortality?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:19 - 15 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Not unless not giving a shit whether you die or not counts Razz

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:30 - 15 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
I did and would do it all again. Orgies, burn things down. Anything and everything.

You did?
Both at the same time? Shocked

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:35 - 15 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Not unless not giving a shit whether you die or not counts Razz

Not quite what I was thinking, no Laughing

I was thinking more along the lines of it helping you to keep everything else in perspective.
Anyway, if you don't give a shit whether you die or not, what use is self doubt? In a way, that should free you up a bit, to give anything a try, or to just not be bothered about not being bothered.

Confused

Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:54 - 15 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to the Doctors today, what part of "switch off your mobile phones in the Surgery" don't people understand?

Got my prescription, down to Sainsbury's and when I handed over prescription only to hear "oh dear you do have problems",
I asked why and then was told they couldn't provide me with Naproxen.

I was told Naproxen was "hard to get" and I should go back to the Doctor for an alternative.

Thankfully the pharmacist popped her head round and told me to head to another chemist nearby who has some in stock.

With Naproxen you need to take a second medication so my script cost me £17.60.

SO yes I got medication that I know works but it really did grind my gears, oh and I'm staying home for 2 days.. not happy.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:58 - 15 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:

Wassat? I got prescribed it on its own after a bike crash cos my knees were red and angry. It didn't stop them being red and angry Neutral

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:07 - 15 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Courier265 wrote:
Wassat? I got prescribed it on its own

It's an NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug) and as such is associated with side effects, the most common of which relates to gastrointestinal bleeding, ulcers etc. You don't have to have it co-prescribed with something else, but some patients who (eg) are predisposed to gastrointestinal issues may receive another drug with the aim of minimising that. Others will simply be told not to take the drug on an empty stomach.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:23 - 15 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Others will simply be told not to take the drug on an empty stomach.

That's what I was told, not by my GP, by someone I worked with Rolling Eyes Luckily I'm weird and tend to follow instructions on the packet.

hedgehugger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:44 - 15 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an ongoing 'script for Naproxen. I get prescribed Omeprazole alongside it. I never take the Omeprazole with the naproxen, but do use it for heartburn/reflux, if I've eaten summat dodgy that disagrees.

I do try to take Naproxen with food, I think it's one of those medicines that can cause/trigger stomach ulcers over time.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:06 - 15 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

hedgehugger wrote:
I do try to take Naproxen with food, I think it's one of those medicines that can cause/trigger stomach ulcers over time.

Exactly - that's what the omeprazole is for, to try and prevent that from happening Brick Wall

Since you say you sometimes suffer from heartburn/reflux (and not everyone does, eg me), you are presumably one of the subgroup of patients who are more likely than others to experience problems with naproxen; the longer you take it for the more likely it is that you'll end up with a buggered stomach lining. Why go against the docs's advice? A perforated stomach ulcer is really no joke.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:21 - 15 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

hedgehugger wrote:
I have an ongoing 'script for Naproxen.

AH, so have you had any problems getting the Naproxen?

Sadly I live in an area which has a number of LLoyd's chemists and one independent.

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:39 - 15 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
hedgehugger wrote:

Exactly - that's what the omeprazole is for, to try and prevent that from happening Brick Wall

Since you say you sometimes suffer from heartburn/reflux (and not everyone does, eg me), you are presumably one of the subgroup of patients who are more likely than others to experience problems with naproxen; the longer you take it for the more likely it is that you'll end up with a buggered stomach lining. Why go against the docs's advice? A perforated stomach ulcer is really no joke.

I've been on omeprazole for a few years for my acid reflux. I find that I get chronic diarrhoea with them, randomly, to the point where I have to make sure that I'm near a loo sometimes. So, while I get almost non existent reflux with omeprazole, I get nasty problems at the other end. On Saturday evening I had a crazy retching fit where no vomit was coming up and it left me with intense pain in my chest and lower abdomen up until yesterday.

I'm booking an appointment with a doctor tomorrow as I'm finding that I'm now getting symptoms that could be pointing towards a hiatal hernia, so that should be fun.

ಠ_ಠ

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:48 - 16 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've a history of stomach ulcers from too much alcohol. It means I'm banned from a heap of medicines which could hurt my stomach. It's so bad that they wrap those red bands around my wrists when I'm in hospital - lets everyone know I could bleed out with it.

They tried a stack of 'stomach helpers' over the years with me because I take a heap of medicine.
A great helper for the stomach is something called Lansoprazole. It doesn't work as an antacid thing - it simply gives your stomach an easier time if taking strong medicines. You should ask your doc if it's suitable.

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:52 - 16 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take naproxen alongside Co-Codamol 30/500and Allopurinol. I've never had an issue getting hold of it. In fact, quite the opposite and I've ended up with cupboards of the stuff - also through a Lloyds.

Yeti
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:54 - 16 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both Lansoprazole and omoprazole are proton pump inhibitors that are designed to reduce the production of stomach acid.

Lansoprazole is longer lasting (24hours) and is usually proscribed for ongoing stomach issues such as GERD.

Omoprazole is shorter acting that is why is it often prescribed with Naproxin.

Rantadine (Zantac) is similar but is an H2 blocker so doesn't reduce the stomach acid by the same volumes but is useful for milder forms of heartburn.

Lansoprazole reduces stomach acid production by circa 70% where as Rantadine is circa 30%

I wish I didnt know so much about this stuff but I have suffered with GERD since a child and had a nissen fundoplication around 10 years ago to try and correct it.

Alas I have still been taking Lansoprazole since the age of 12!

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:17 - 16 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's actually fascinating. Kinda silly of me not to know that stuff but it does make sense.
My chemists literally have shelf fulls of Lansoprazole. Almost every script they bale up has a box dropped in.

I learnt my lesson years ago: Don't live near Whitley Bay, discover fanny and party almost constantly. Your body will fall to pieces Sad

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:01 - 16 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
That's actually fascinating. Kinda silly of me not to know that stuff but it does make sense.
My chemists literally have shelf fulls of Lansoprazole. Almost every script they bale up has a box dropped in.

I learnt my lesson years ago: Don't live near Whitley Bay, discover fanny and party almost constantly. Your body will fall to pieces Sad

That was my downfall as well. And a hard drinking culture on ships (which are now dry). My health started to fall apart a couple of years ago and the heart consultant then said ' a lot of my patients last for 5 years with what you have' Laughing Cheers mate!!

Still, looking back on my life I wouldn't change very much. A good few of my original friends are dead, having done very little other than exist in Weston-super-Mare their whole lives, going to Scallys on a Friday and Saturday evening and working all week to fund those two evenings out.

Enough maudlin thinking. I'm going have the house to myself for the week soon, wifies going to Iceland for a week (probably to top up her sex drive ) so I get the TV, a weeks Sky sports pass and it's during the six nations. Happy days.

Dance! Dance! Dance!

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:50 - 16 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do so many stag do's involve football and strippers? Rolling Eyes Just had to turn down an invite to one because I'd rather
sit in solitary confinement than join a pissed up baying mob of footballists leering at strippers. Still, I feel like a bit
of a shit best man now. But it will end in tears if I attend so what choice do I have?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:04 - 16 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Why do so many stag do's involve football and strippers? Rolling Eyes Just had to turn down an invite to one because I'd rather
sit in solitary confinement than join a pissed up baying mob of footballists leering at strippers. Still, I feel like a bit
of a shit best man now. But it will end in tears if I attend so what choice do I have?

I realise you have a private strip club in your back garden but why would you turn down going to a strip club?

THEY ARE AWESOME!

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:10 - 16 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

I realise you have a private strip club in your back garden but why would you turn down going to a strip club?

Yeah that's why. Busmans holiday and all that. Same reason why I don't want to do the paintball thing they have
planned either. I spend quite enough time wandering round forests with the dog. I'm also VERY unpredictable after
excess alcohol. And not in a good way. Black Eye Plus it shouldn't come as much of a surprise that I'm a bit socially stunted and
as a result don't easily warm to strangers. So it's better if I stay home. I don't wanna be that guy that ruins the stag do.
There's some "staggy" stuff planned for Thailand too, motorbike exploring and a firing range I believe. I'll be up for
that although I'm the only full licensed biker in the group though so I'm expecting either a scootay or a bigger scootay.
I'll go manual if there's an option. I reckon a low capacity scrambler style bike will probably be the best bet out there
with the state of some of the roads we may discover. Had a chat with the groom last night and knowing me the way he
does, he knows I will find a big social event full of 20 something complete strangers a struggle and is cool with my
choice to stay home for the do with his football mates. I fear I will find them extraordinarily tedious. I hate football with as
much of a passion as the majority of it's supporters love it.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:13 - 16 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so much one thing grinding my gears - everything is this week.
Can I simply put here that I'm in a radgy bad mood with everything? I really have no time for anything or anyone. I'm just wound up mad.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:25 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking

My current boss has decided not to extend my contract beyond the probation period. Thinks I wont be able to keep up with his planned increase in business.
Strange fellow.

Wonder what his other doctors will have to say about that.
Not a lot, I suppose, some other mug bitrd is stressing the way I have been, about getting their typing done on time, and in a tiny office space packed with other noisy staff members.

No doubt he will come to regret his decision once I'm gone.
But he's offered to load a digital dictation programme onto my laptop for me, and to put my details up on the Independent Doctor Federation website. So I suppose that's something.

Shame, cos I liked Sloane Square.

Not best pleased.
Might have to go back to the minicabbing in the meantime. Make a proper job of it this time and not keep bumping into other cars ( Laughing )

Or temping ...
Or dominatrixing, LOL ... really should seriously consider how best to make a career out of that without having to stick things up men's bottoms or get involved with their private parts.

Oh well ... something else will happen along, no doubt.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:58 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

the whole "probation period" thing is bollocks in nearly all jobs anyway, it generally has no legal standing in regards to an employment contract, with the exception that if it added to your rights - which they never do, except occasionally in regards to a notice period, then you'd be slightly better off. If it takes away from your statutory rights it wouldn't be legal
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 72 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 433, 434, 435 ... 696, 697, 698  Next
Page 434 of 698