Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Todays - What grinds my gears *ARCHIVE*

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 658, 659, 660 ... 696, 697, 698  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:07 - 15 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Freddyfruitbat wrote:
I only wish I knew which were the good and bad brands though - no idea!

From stripping a few failures down, I can confidently state that identical looking bulbs of the same brand do not necessarily have the same internal componants.

All the ones that have blown recently have been multiple COB type and it has been a blown chip array on all of them. They were even heat-sinked onto an alloy backing with thermoconductive paste, which surprised me.

The latest annoying one that triggered me was one of the "filament" type which I suppose are really a COB too, just with a very thin and elongated board. You'd think they would conduct heat away pretty effectively.

This video from Big Clive might interest you:

https://youtu.be/klaJqofCsu4

tl;dr LEDs are deliberately overdriven to shorten their lifespan.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:12 - 15 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multiple grindings today

Back to the dentist as my socket is in alot of pain and obviously infected. It was infected when they took the tooth but they didnt give me antibiotics. Again they wouldn't give me antibiotics, they basically powerwashed the thing (no anesthetic), stuffed some clove flavoured shit in there, laughed at the claw marks I left in the chair and charged me again as apparently its a different issue??????????????

Also the dentist, when asked to give me a decent painkiller. "take ibuprofen". To which I pointed out that didn't help, I'd already by 1000 today taken 2 1/2 times the daily dose of ibuprofen and paracetamol (+ enough codeine to kill a bear but I didnt tell her that bit) to which she responded, "take ibuprofen", like a stuck fucking record.

So I have a fairly big dental infection causing me serious pain and no prescribed antibiotics or painkillers Rolling Eyes Is the NHS so bloody skint a pack of zapain and amoxicillin would be pushing the boat out?

and finally, I bought a new helmet yesterday. DPD delivered it today at 0710, no pre-warning just my door getting battered at 10 past 7 this bloody morning. Open the box and the thing is broken, sunvisor deploys fine but when you raise it it only goes up on one side and wedges itself Mad . Complained to the seller at around 0900 via eBay and still not heard back, seems they are better at dispatching stuff than reading messages.

and it's only half way through the day Laughing

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:56 - 15 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
Multiple grindings today

So I have a fairly big dental infection causing me serious pain and no prescribed antibiotics or painkillers Rolling Eyes Is the NHS so bloody skint a pack of zapain and amoxicillin would be pushing the boat out?

I'd be on the phone or web-chat to the GP. See if they can prescribe. In France they dole out antibiotics at the chemist (of which there is strangely one in every one horse village).
can you get the stuff 'under the counter' I wonder?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:39 - 15 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

I'd be on the phone or web-chat to the GP. See if they can prescribe. In France they dole out antibiotics at the chemist (of which there is strangely one in every one horse village).
can you get the stuff 'under the counter' I wonder?

GP has pointed me back at the dentist Rolling Eyes

Luckily as the weekend is approaching I'm just going to neck DF118's, Zopiclone and smoke pot till my brain turns to mush, least then I can ignore the invisible Mike Tyson punching my jaw every 0.5 seconds.

On the positive side M&P have given me a generous partial refund on the lid with the dodgy sunvisor.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:25 - 15 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fug fug fugking fug!! The saga of the loft boarding continues .
I have to stop because there is now a leak/water appearing in the conservatory Rolling Eyes .

Traced the issue back to the cistern, but there is no isolation valve in the pipework, so I have to turn the water off for the whole house.
Guess what? The stop-cock is seized Twisted Evil

Nothing is ever easy or straightforward in an older house, fug fug fugking fug Twisted Evil

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:38 - 15 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooo, he's gone into "bit of an animal" mode.
Shocked

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:02 - 15 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

Nothing is ever easy or straightforward in an older house, fug fug fugking fug Twisted Evil

Nothing in the street you can use? Oftentimes there's a tap outside as well under a little manhole thing.
If it's a modern watermain it's likely to be plastic with a 'key' to operate it. If so it's a good opportunity to renew
the indoors stopcock as well as sort your cistern leak. A new one won't be expensive.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:23 - 15 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just take a pair of waterpump pliers to the stopcock.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:07 - 15 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

Undo the gland nut a bit and see if thet helps. If you can free it, note (if you're unaware) that these things shouldn't be left fully open; after shutting off the supply, open them fully, then do them up 1/2 a turn and then they don't tend to seize.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:10 - 15 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled the baking sheet that I used yesterday to bake pasties on out of the oven. There was a flake of what looked like delicious pastry on it, so I assumed it was pastry, popped it in, and nibbled it.

Sadly it was a piece of fireclay that had fallen out of one of the joints.
Pth. Gritty.

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:38 - 15 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
Multiple grindings today

Looks like it's pliers and whisky time and you weren't the only one.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/health-52854526

If you were in another country you would would be able to directly get syringes,tools and medicines instead of suffering.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:11 - 15 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop-cock unseized with the application increasing firm but careful pressure, and a little bit of WD40. Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:43 - 16 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:

Luckily as the weekend is approaching I'm just going to neck DF118's, Zopiclone and smoke pot till my brain turns to mush, least then I can ignore the invisible Mike Tyson punching my jaw every 0.5 seconds.

Smoking. Number 1 cause of a dry socket.

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:54 - 16 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who told you that , your wife? Laughing

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:58 - 16 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
wr6133 wrote:

Tis true. I had the same issue when I smoked heavily.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:36 - 16 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dentist warned me of dry socket.
So, being a major pussy when it comes to dental pain, I did what I was told (just for a change Laughing )

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:24 - 16 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
My dentist warned me of dry socket.

A bit of saliva helps. Wink

In other news, these jeans were fresh on this morning. Rolling Eyes
https://i.postimg.cc/7hd54Bz3/20210116-115317.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:00 - 17 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The radiator in my living room is leaking. Brick Wall

I was snuffling about under the chaise longue searching for shoes when I noticed that something under there was soaking wet ...
... and there was an extension cord plugged in, switched on and trailing ominously on the wet linoleum (!)

So I shoved the dining table and the chaise around the room a bit to get access - not the most convenient of positioning but it will do for now - put a towel down, and commenced to count the drips.
Turns out the radiator is dripping at a rate of approximately 40 drips per minute. Rolling Eyes

I looked up "fixing your leaking radiator" on Youtube and it looks quite simple (I even have an adjustable wrench), but there is a different cap on this one, and its leaking from a different place than showing in the video, so I think I should probably leave it to the experts, will email the landlord and pester them to send someone round.

Just in case Shifty

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 20:35 - 17 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is quite simple to fix, but as with any amateur plumbing job, very easy to go from a drip to something far worse.

Job for the landlord. Worth checking the other rads too.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:48 - 17 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
It is quite simple to fix, but as with any amateur plumbing job, very easy to go from a drip to something far worse.

Job for the landlord. Worth checking the other rads too.

I concur.
I've not noticed any leaking from others, as yet.
I may check in an hour or two and see if its still dripping at the same rate. Just in case its sped up Shocked

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:59 - 17 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Smoking. Number 1 effect of a dry socket... more lube required Wink

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:03 - 17 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew that I should have added emphasis.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:37 - 17 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
The radiator in my living room is leaking. Brick Wall

I was snuffling about under the chaise longue searching for shoes when I noticed that something under there was soaking wet ...
... and there was an extension cord plugged in, switched on and trailing ominously on the wet linoleum (!)

So I shoved the dining table and the chaise around the room a bit to get access - not the most convenient of positioning but it will do for now - put a towel down, and commenced to count the drips.
Turns out the radiator is dripping at a rate of approximately 40 drips per minute. Rolling Eyes

I looked up "fixing your leaking radiator" on Youtube and it looks quite simple (I even have an adjustable wrench), but there is a different cap on this one, and its leaking from a different place than showing in the video, so I think I should probably leave it to the experts, will email the landlord and pester them to send someone round.

Just in case Shifty

40 drips a minute is a big leak. Cause a lot of damage over the course of just one day.

Hope you're not in a flat above ground floor Smile

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:27 - 17 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I am on the ground floor. And yes, I was wondering what constitutes "a big leak".

Edit:
I have remeasured the speed of the drips and it appears to be increasing (now approx 45). I've changed the towel underneath the drip and have emailed the landlord, seeing as how trying to phone them unless I have a critical repair request (i.e., gushing leak) is discouraged. Rolling Eyes

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:18 - 18 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

finding out you were given the wrong bloody brake pads for the car on a sunday......after you've jacked it up and removed the wheel..Thank god I checked them before I stripped the calipers!! ECP were given the Reg, model spec and disk diameter to come to the wrong conclusion! to be fair though BMW M sport f30's do come with a LOT of brake options I guess
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 70 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 658, 659, 660 ... 696, 697, 698  Next
Page 659 of 698