Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Todays - What grinds my gears *ARCHIVE*

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 686, 687, 688 ... 696, 697, 698  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 23 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered a new rear brake for my mountain bike; got sent a front one. Now there's no stock of the rear one at the retailer, nor anywhere else seemingly. So I've got to swap calipers and lines around on my old brakes so I can rig up a rear one, then put the new one on the front.

Went to Screwfix to get a few bits, including a rechargeable inspection light (the £5 aldi one has done me well, but I get fed up of batteries). Got home and took it out of the packaging, to discover it's clearly been used for a job and returned. It's scratched and has other marks on it. So another trip out at some point to swap it over.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:28 - 23 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Ordered a new rear brake for my mountain bike; got sent a front one. Now there's no stock of the rear one at the retailer, nor anywhere else seemingly. So I've got to swap calipers and lines around on my old brakes so I can rig up a rear one, then put the new one on the front.

Went to Screwfix to get a few bits, including a rechargeable inspection light (the £5 aldi one has done me well, but I get fed up of batteries). Got home and took it out of the packaging, to discover it's clearly been used for a job and returned. It's scratched and has other marks on it. So another trip out at some point to swap it over.

ASAP or they'll just say you put the scratches and other marks on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:39 - 24 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

"How To Make Money Buying & Selling Motorcycles". The book that tells you all the trade secrets.

Has it been flying off the shelves during lockdown or summat ?

Despite a very distinct "No Dealers" on the advert I've got a procession of pondlife wanting to talk me into selling a £3k bike for £2k ?

Let's see if the next one can outrun the hammer . . . .

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:16 - 24 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny how everyone seems to know everything about motorcycles, when they're out for a stroll in the nature reserve. This afternoon I stopped for a break mid-ride. I was in the car park, and lots of people were milling about. An authoritative-sounding voice in conversation with someone else was talking about my bike as they approached. I heard, "it's a Kawasaki". As they got closer, her companion told her, "oh, look at you! You were right!"

So I turned around with a smile on my face to make polite conversation, as you do. But no, the grand, leading world authority on bike identification was already walking off, no doubt having impressed me, the guy who put this this back on the road twice, with her ability to read the word "Kawasaki" in bright daylight from 10 feet away in gold letters on the tank... As they walked away, she mumbled, [something something] my R6". She looked about 19, so of course she knew everything about everything. Of course she did...

Maybe I'm just getting old and irritable. But I do expect young people so have at least one or two old man skills, otherwise it just seems rude to march up to someone's bike, start talking about it and completely blank the rider standing there right in front of you. If you don't have a few old man skills even as a young person, you ain't going anywhere in life.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:21 - 24 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:

Maybe I'm just getting old and irritable.

Embrace it. buy a crass T shirt telling the world and fuck em. (was she nice?)

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1550/6027/products/MP-BLK_6921f53a-5993-4d50-9260-c5949da9d9a3_1200x.jpg?v=1614578475

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:32 - 24 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I attempted two jobs today which I had gone out of my way to use actual proper retailers and spent more than double what I might have done in order to obtain non-shite, decent quality parts so the job would be done once and done properly.

The anti-torque pin on the motorbike hub promptly stripped its threads before I even got to the point of nipping it up (and it's a 7/16" cycle thread so it should be pretty strong). This suggests it is not made of high tensile steel because I'd have expected the nut to strip before the pin. Given the shear forces it will be experiencing in use, it is as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

The new touch-light dimmer module which I bought from a UK electronics supplier rather than a Chinese ebay reseller didn't work at all. I've build five of these before using cheap Chinese ones and they all worked fine, the one I'm replacing lasted 7 years in my bedside light.

So now I have neither job done, still have to get the bits and will undoubtedly land up getting into an argument about if i wired the module up correctly and if I was too ham-fisted with a nut I've undone and re-tightened probably into hundreds of times (every time you adjust the chain).

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:43 - 24 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only managed 4 pints before the 1:30pm deadline to get the kids home for lunch and she didn't get home til 2....

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:37 - 24 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bollocks.
https://i.postimg.cc/t4HHytGT/20210424-213442.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 24 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:

Oops... Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:39 - 24 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez... we need a drop-down in the Karma with "I feel for you, bro" Sad

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:59 - 25 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:

For fucks sake.

I can beat that though. I did exactly that fitting battens for a hanging ceiling because some fuckwit had notched the underside of the joists and fitted the pipes UP onto the bottom of them then added the plasterboard to hold them in place.

You can imagine the additional fun of having to saw a hatch in the plaster then repair the pipe, all the while standing on a stool and working overhead. Couldn't even get above the area because it was under the bath.

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:49 - 25 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dumfuck Kawasaki service techs that don't fill the oil to full at a first service.

And me finding out by the oil light coming on at idle after I've been giving it a handful.

Tits.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:49 - 25 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
Bollocks.
https://i.postimg.cc/t4HHytGT/20210424-213442.jpg

[https://suwalls.com/male-celebrities/jensen-ackles-with-a-leather-jacket]

Highly intrigued about the extra URL hidden in your message. Is there anything you need to tell us? Shocked

Actually I've done better than both you and Stinkwheel.... I once did the same trick but through a gas pipe, and on a bank holiday Monday Rolling Eyes

twooo
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:58 - 25 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:

We've all done it. I did it to a central heating pipe on the upstairs landing, 30 mins before a carpet fitter for said landing was dues to turn up. Missus was 8.5 months pregnant at the time. Oh how she laughed about the situation. Rolling Eyes

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:52 - 25 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

the cheap Chinese adjustable side stand i bought snapped whilst attempting to fit it.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:17 - 25 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
the cheap Chinese adjustable side stand i bought snapped whilst attempting to fit it.

Oh well, swings and roundabouts. Probably better then than after you fitted it and it was in use Smile

But it was Chinese, so you did know that was going to happen, right? Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:00 - 26 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fourth goddamn puncture in a month. Bit of a gear-grinding record...

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:45 - 26 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

But it was Chinese, so you did know that was going to happen, right? Laughing

i did expect a piece of junk, but for £13 it was worth a try.
guess ill have to take a genuine stand to an engineering shop and get them to shorten it.
it probably wont be cheap either.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:57 - 26 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

guess ill have to take a genuine stand to an engineering shop and get them to shorten it.

Easier than getting them to lengthen it. Last time I went and asked someone to make me a long stand, they just kept me waiting all day.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:23 - 26 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
to v or not to v wrote:

Easier than getting them to lengthen it. Last time I went and asked someone to make me a long stand, they just kept me waiting all day.

Just be thankful they didn't ask you to pick up some tartan paint at the same time.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:35 - 26 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Bhud wrote:

Maybe I'm just getting old and irritable.

Embrace it. buy a crass T shirt telling the world and fuck em. (was she nice?)

other punk bands are available

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:26 - 27 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
to v or not to v wrote:

If your feet ached after waiting all day , try rubbing them with a tub of Elbow Grease Thumbs Up

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 05:37 - 27 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
try rubbing them with a tub of Elbow Grease Thumbs Up

Such a product exists. Razz

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:19 - 27 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

If your feet ached after waiting all day , try rubbing them with a tub of Elbow Grease Thumbs Up

Does Foot Grease work for aching elbows?
Little buggers, those grease manufacturers, I bet it's all the same stuff.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:06 - 27 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chute that is used to slide stuff up to and down from a drill rig floor, usually drillpipe, is called a V Door.

The new guys spend their first few hours on the job looking for that key.

It's still funny today.

Stinkwheel, if you are still looking for a long stand then you can get one at Screwfix.

They had some folk waiting for them when I was there last week.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 2 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 686, 687, 688 ... 696, 697, 698  Next
Page 687 of 698