Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Todays - What grinds my gears *ARCHIVE*

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 408, 409, 410 ... 696, 697, 698  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:42 - 06 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinaboy wrote:
When I moved into my new office here in China, I immediately put signs up that said NO SMOKING in both English and Chinese. Last week a couple of new guys arrived and I said to them, if you are smokers, please do not smoke in here...'ok ok' they said. Now I just get back from the workshop and into my office and the place is full of smoke and stinks.
I tore into the one responsible for smoking and told him to go find another office, you ain't doing that in here again. He looked pretty sheepish, Fcuking disrespectful...

So are these guys sharing the office with you, at equal status? Never having been to China I don't know how smoking is perceived but AFAIK it's much more tolerated than in most of the West? Do you have the right to dictate whether your office is a no-smoking zone or not? Is it possible that its not the smoker who's being disrespectful, but the foreigner (making an assumption there!)

(I hate smoking with a vengeance BTW)

Chinaboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:53 - 06 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

So are these guys sharing the office with you, at equal status? Never having been to China I don't know how smoking is perceived but AFAIK it's much more tolerated than in most of the West? Do you have the right to dictate whether your office is a no-smoking zone or not? Is it possible that its not the smoker who's being disrespectful, but the foreigner (making an assumption there!)

No, good question. Been here working on and off for the last 6 years. A lot, and i mean a lot of Chinese smoke heavily, its a cheap habit here. As a foreigner and guest Supervisor, I do have a 'higher' status than the two others. (also supervisors but for another Chinese company)
I could dictate that I have my own office as these guys are working for a competing company. After initially having the office to myself, and having non smoking signs put up, when they arrived the one smoker told me he would not smoke there. So all was good. Then he pulls this crap today and stinks the whole place out.

When I confronted him, he said that he had only had one or two,but in the bin were 6 dog ends. The company agreed with me, and reprimanded the guy, he wont do it again. As a foreigner and representative for my company, the place of work have to keep us a little bit sweet. It is not like working anywhere else, the culture is quite different and we get treated well, most of the time.

On a side note, China is a wondrous place. The people are mostly very kind and friendly, the food is amazing and so many different things to experience. From the extreme cold of the north east to a baking hot summer in Shanghai, and now a beautiful coastal town. In my industry too, I have seen some incredible factories and the size of the equipment they have would astound any engineer. I must admit, I do like it here.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:08 - 06 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The local DPD drop-off point wouldn't accept my parcel as it's been 3-4 days since the drivers been and they have too many Rolling Eyes

I also tried to watch BBC news earlier, after 15 mins of US election coverage I assumed there was no other news happening so turned it off.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:07 - 06 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinaboy wrote:
Freddyfruitbat wrote:

No, good question. Been here working on and off for the last 6 years. A lot, and i mean a lot of Chinese smoke heavily, its a cheap habit here. As a foreigner and guest Supervisor, I do have a 'higher' status than the two others. (also supervisors but for another Chinese company)
I could dictate that I have my own office as these guys are working for a competing company. After initially having the office to myself, and having non smoking signs put up, when they arrived the one smoker told me he would not smoke there. So all was good. Then he pulls this crap today and stinks the whole place out.

When I confronted him, he said that he had only had one or two,but in the bin were 6 dog ends. The company agreed with me, and reprimanded the guy, he wont do it again. As a foreigner and representative for my company, the place of work have to keep us a little bit sweet. It is not like working anywhere else, the culture is quite different and we get treated well, most of the time.

On a side note, China is a wondrous place. The people are mostly very kind and friendly, the food is amazing and so many different things to experience. From the extreme cold of the north east to a baking hot summer in Shanghai, and now a beautiful coastal town. In my industry too, I have seen some incredible factories and the size of the equipment they have would astound any engineer. I must admit, I do like it here.

I have a friend who's been on countless big holidays. With his trip to China it involved a bit of the usual touristy stuff such as the wall, but he had plans..
He knew where he'd be going each day, way before he left the UK and once on a horrible group trip he sneaked off and experienced the real China away from those tourist traps. He described it as incredible and that's from someone who's seen a lot.
China is high on my wish list if I ever scrape the money together.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:01 - 06 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
The local DPD drop-off point wouldn't accept my parcel

I had similar the other day when I tried dropping one off a large one - still well within their size limits though. Told me that he hadn't got room to store it and to come back the following day, shortly before the driver was due Rolling Eyes

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:11 - 06 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
M.C wrote:
The local DPD drop-off point wouldn't accept my parcel

I had similar the other day when I tried dropping one off a large one - still well within their size limits though. Told me that he hadn't got room to store it and to come back the following day, shortly before the driver was due Rolling Eyes

Its only the last two times there have been issues, last time they took the package but said the same 3-4 days thing. I'll use a collection service from now on.

Last edited by M.C on 21:04 - 07 Nov 2018; edited 1 time in total

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:21 - 07 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did folk become so stupid. The tap has a red coloured top, so just to clarify the toilets at a train station I was in today decided to put a notice up saying the taps contained hot water, WTF.

https://i63.tinypic.com/sde6go.jpg

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:04 - 07 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
When did folk become so stupid. The tap has a red coloured top, so just to clarify the toilets at a train station I was in today decided to put a notice up saying the taps contained hot water, WTF.

https://i63.tinypic.com/sde6go.jpg

What if you're colour blind?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:17 - 08 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Setting days and times on a SilverCrest digital timer switch. Grrr! The instructions are *rubbish*. Now I feel thirsty.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:29 - 08 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an old DAB radio upstairs, alarm clock with a docking station for something iPOD, mini disc?

Anyway, I cannot work out how to reset the clock, and unlike all my other DAB's doesn't pick the time up off of a signal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:08 - 08 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I might have a trapped nerve in my lower back. So I looked up treatment for such. And all the things I think might have caused it in the first place are supposed to be the remedies for it Crying or Very sad

Think It's time I signed up with a GP and got some things looked at Rolling Eyes
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:46 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smokers in the office, I'd fucking cut them.
(or at least I'd say that and hope they got frit enough to stop doing it/go elsewhere Laughing )

I gave up 11 years ago, I can afford to be a hypocrite, cos back in the 1990s I used to smoke in my office (at a hospital) when my boss (a vascular surgeon) was away Laughing

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:46 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing has ground my gears so far today.
This could be to do with the fact that I haven't actually left the house.
#hermitty

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:12 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Smokers in the office, I'd fucking cut them.
(or at least I'd say that and hope they got frit enough to stop doing it/go elsewhere Laughing )

I gave up 11 years ago, I can afford to be a hypocrite, cos back in the 1990s I used to smoke in my office (at a hospital) when my boss (a vascular surgeon) was away Laughing

I worked at the electricity board in the offices, and also at british telecom. Smoked like fuck in both offices. Can't believe it now. The BT office was tiny as well. There were six of us in there and four smoked. Ridiculous. The electricity board office was a big open plan job - about 10% of us smoked. I'd be on the phone to customers all day, lighting and re-lighting ciggies. No one gave a fuck. The non-smokers must've hated it, sure. But they never said owt.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:19 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised there isn't a policy of no smoking in the office. Or even a legal requirement to not smoke there.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:27 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think Hellkat was in China?

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:51 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not.
I'm in Canning Taaaaaaaahhhn

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:12 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
I'm not.

I worked a few weeks in the Parcel Force depot there via an agency when I was a kid. That was an eye opener to the
internal goings on at the Royal Mail. Shocked

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:52 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
I'm not.

I went to school there Very Happy

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:55 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went out for a walk this afternoon, it started to chuck it down so I turned around to go home. Just as I reached my door it stopped raining. I was soaked through Sad

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:59 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to get a good finish in the paint on my narrowboat steel stable doors.

There must be some contaminant on it even though I've rubbed it down it's crazing as it dries. Done it 3 times now.

Fuck . Evil or Very Mad It's driving me crazy.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:04 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

There must be some contaminant on it even though I've rubbed it down it's crazing as it dries. Done it 3 times now.

Old school Nitromors?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:17 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Old school Nitromors?

I'm tempted to wire brush it back to bare metal but it's going to cost a shit load with phosphate primer and undercoats for what should just be a overcoat of faded paint.

I don't use nitromoors or paint strippers, just a woven wire brush on an anglegrinder so can't see it being stripper residue causing any problems.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:40 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles wrote:
I went out for a walk this afternoon, it started to chuck it down so I turned around to go home. Just as I reached my door it stopped raining. I was soaked through Sad

It usually starts raining on me when I'm walking the dog and I'm at the farthest point from home.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 165 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 408, 409, 410 ... 696, 697, 698  Next
Page 409 of 698