Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Todays - What grinds my gears *ARCHIVE*

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 479, 480, 481 ... 696, 697, 698  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:22 - 20 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Insurance Rolling Eyes

Youngsters buy C3s but not Jags because they are cheap French cars and they often do a free insurance thing so they
can flog 'em to kids on PCP deals. This affects the accident stats and thus the premiums on that model. It's that
simple. Just been through this with our new car. It's worth 10k more than what it replaced, is newer and is a 2.0
petrol with 40 more bhp than the 1.6 petrol Suzuki Swift Sport before it. It's bigger, heavier and in a smash would do
more damage. Probably more expensive to repair too given how much tech it has. An example - "LED Fusion" headlights
do not sound cheap to replace. Probably best part of a K a unit.

On my policy (which renews in Feb) they calculated the difference in price was a grand total of £12. Shocked Laughing Laughing
The admin fee to change mid policy (£25) was double the price of the price increase of my cover. You win some you lose
some. At least the good old DVLA are working flat out doing their part to take the shine off my new car enthusiasm. Middle Finger
Currently plotting some ways to waste their time and money. I think I might start sending them my junk mail in
drivers licence/V5 application form envelopes.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 20 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Insurance Rolling Eyes

Yes, I know it's totally unfathomable but I've just had a real stupid one.

Wifey has decided it would be good to have a town car again for her to use when lugging grandkids and dogs around because she doesn't like driving my Jaguar as it's too big and powerful. Rolling Eyes

I agreed (mainly because she's already scratched the Jag and she thinks I haven't noticed, I have).

So went looking for something smallish, small CC but four door and room for a woofer in the back.

She quite liked the Citroen C3 Sick and the Vauxhall Meriva Puke so I chucked these through comparison sites and got silly insurance quotes. £400 ish FC.

So phoned up Direct line with whom I have a multicar discount with both my Jag and wifies cabriolet. After going through all the questions (even though they already have our details) the girl on the phone said thanks, that comes out at £520. Shocked Pardon, £520 Sir. Hold on, my Jaguar with nigh on 3 times the power and an insurance group of 40 was a hundred quid less than that, why so expensive?

She couldn't tell me. She played around with mileage figures and TPFT (it was more than FC) and other things but couldn't get it down.

So I am totally at a loss why a bog standard sh1t box on wheels is more to insure than a big luxury car. 5 years NCD on shit box and 8 on Jaguar so not a huge difference there.

Insurance still manages to totally come up with twatish results which I know I should expect but WTF.

Could it be because the Jag, costly as it may have been to you and as nice a ride as it may be has done the classic Jag depreciation thing and now has a resale value of 20 pence?
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:47 - 21 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

More people crash shit boxes.

It's nothing more complicated than that.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:56 - 21 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
There are some odd rules though. My bike policies used to be cheaper if I added my ex as a named rider. Even though she'd got the full licence eventually, she'd never ridden anything larger than a 125 and had only done a couple of thousand miles on that.

Could that be because a shared vehicle is more likely to be looked after? "If I get a scratch on this the wife will kill me!" are actuary tables that nuanced?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:15 - 21 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone who's a lower risk is a named driver / rider then it stands to reason that the lower risk person will be using the vehicle therefore it's less of a liability.

It's all just statistics. For whatever reasons my home insurance is slightly cheaper if I have zero smoke alarms rather than two smoke alarms and having a tree that's more than two meters tall within five meters of the house also makes it slightly cheaper.

Some people have found that declaring their security makes their bike insurance more expensive and again it's all just based on statistics of who cost the insurance what.

A call centre person is never going to know why a quote is however much and the reasons are also besides the point.

With insurance, make no assumptions and play around with all the variables.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:27 - 21 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liars grind my gears today.
I'm having quite an angry week!
Do people have an illness with this lies stuff because some live in a strange fantasy world of lies and bullsh*t.
This weekend I shall be avoiding people!

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:55 - 21 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
For whatever reasons my home insurance is slightly cheaper if I have zero smoke alarms rather than two smoke alarms

Boggles the mind... I'm imagining a scenario where the customer goes for the quote with zero smoke alarms but installs them anyway; then later puts in a claim after a fire, but the loss adjuster tries to reject it because the claimant 'had smoke alarms fitted' Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:33 - 21 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
Liars grind my gears today.
I'm having quite an angry week!
Do people have an illness with this lies stuff because some live in a strange fantasy world of lies and bullsh*t.
This weekend I shall be avoiding people!

You'd definitely get on with my mate:

Crazy Liam wrote:
I don't mind individuals it just people I can't stand...

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:05 - 21 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol I'm avoiding alcohol because of this bad mood. Don't want more arrests!

Honestly though, prime examples of bullsh*t lies (not this week) include 'I put bigger fuses into my Corsa and now it goes faster'. It wasn't a teenager either..

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:56 - 21 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:

Honestly though, prime examples of bullsh*t lies (not this week) include 'I put bigger fuses into my Corsa and now it goes faster'. It wasn't a teenager either..

Just laugh at them and suggest they use pink HT leads for a 5% power boost.

Seriously though if that kind of shit winds you up you need to smoke some weed or do some E or something because you are a bit highly strung!

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:35 - 21 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

People who fuck with other people's bikes. My bike was chained to a floor ring on a bike bay today and when I went back to it the chain was trapped under the tyre and the mirror bent out a bit. Didn't think much of it until I set off and the whole fairing is moving about at the front.
Some bastard has tried to drag my bike sideways to make another space and snapped the frame lug for the front fairing subframe. Now I gotta strip the whole front end off in order to weld the lug back on Sad

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:28 - 21 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:

Could it be because the Jag, costly as it may have been to you and as nice a ride as it may be has done the classic Jag depreciation thing and now has a resale value of 20 pence?

OOOOh! You bitch. Razz

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:44 - 21 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
mentalboy wrote:

OOOOh! You bitch. Razz

Sad... but true.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:04 - 22 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Insurance Rolling Eyes

So phoned up Direct line with whom I have a multicar discount with both my Jag and wifies cabriolet. After going through all the questions (even though they already have our details)

Why do they do that Evil or Very Mad

I run a shitbox little garage and my database tells me everything I need to know about my existing customers, why do you have to go through all that crap with huge insurance companies?

The company that insure my Corvette have the right approach:

Me: I've called to renew my policy on A123 BCD
Them: Yes Mr Shaft, has anything changed since last year?
Me: Nope, just another year older and more experienced
Them: Excellent, all done, another 20 quid less to pay

Today, my gears have been ground by a record - I get quite a few calls each week from Indoasians claiming to be called Andrew/Michael/Fred etc, apparently calling from my energy supplier (they never are) and wanting to renew my contract, that's running out at the end of the month (it runs out in June 2021)

I keep an informal mental tally of daily calls, and it's generally 2 or 3 - today it was 12 and the cake was especially taken by some barely understandable prick who claimed I was breaking the law by being out of contract (I'm not) and risked jail time if I didn't take him up on his offer.

Who are these cvnts Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:06 - 22 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:

Today, my gears have been ground by a record - I get quite a few calls each week from Indoasians claiming to be called Andrew/Michael/Fred etc, apparently calling from my energy supplier (they never are) and wanting to renew my contract, that's running out at the end of the month (it runs out in June 2021)

I keep an informal mental tally of daily calls, and it's generally 2 or 3 - today it was 12 and the cake was especially taken by some barely understandable prick who claimed I was breaking the law by being out of contract (I'm not) and risked jail time if I didn't take him up on his offer.

My wife tells me that the correct way to deal with these jokers is to say, at the outset, 'I am going to masturbate throughout the duration of this call', apparently my curt 'fuck off' is not the done thing! Shocked

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:52 - 22 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

J&S / RST.

Telling me its my fault that the gloves have leaked because I wore them with the jacket tucked into the cuff. I'd love to know how I'm supposed to get a full sized glove tucked underneath a touring jacket when the waterproof layer is in -- omitting the thermal layer too in winter.

For added insult J&S want to charge £20 to send the item to RST and back.

I'll be taking my custom elsewhere. Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:25 - 22 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
If someone who's a lower risk is a named driver / rider then it stands to reason that the lower risk person will be using the vehicle therefore it's less of a liability.

It's all just statistics. For whatever reasons my home insurance is slightly cheaper if I have zero smoke alarms rather than two smoke alarms and having a tree that's more than two meters tall within five meters of the house also makes it slightly cheaper.

Some people have found that declaring their security makes their bike insurance more expensive and again it's all just based on statistics of who cost the insurance what.

A call centre person is never going to know why a quote is however much and the reasons are also besides the point.

With insurance, make no assumptions and play around with all the variables.

Yup, statistics are everything. What a world Sad
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:27 - 22 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
Shaft wrote:

My wife tells me that the correct way to deal with these jokers is to say, at the outset, 'I am going to masturbate throughout the duration of this call', apparently my curt 'fuck off' is not the done thing! Shocked

What if the reply is, "this is going to be a very long call" ?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:44 - 22 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
mentalboy wrote:

What if the reply is, "this is going to be a very long call" ?

'in that case, you'd better speak to my wife.'

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:37 - 22 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replacing the syphon and water inlet valve on my leaky cistern.

Close coupled toilet so cistern has to be removed.

Guy who installed it siliconed it to the wall!!! A bugger to get off.

And I got the wrong connector kit for it (just need new bolts) so another trip to town needed.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:28 - 23 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weissbier.

Bleargh.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:29 - 23 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider_uk wrote:
Guy who installed it siliconed it to the wall!!! A bugger to get off.

Use a "cheese wire" next time.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:27 - 24 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small moths.
They keep appearing overnight in my house and enjoy fluttering on my face as I sleep and keep waking me.
Come the morning I find them and fry them with my electric tennis racket but come the next night another appears and so on.
I live close to a birch woodland and blame that.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:13 - 24 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
Small moths.
They keep appearing overnight in my house and enjoy fluttering on my face as I sleep and keep waking me.

Have had this issue in a rental property just of late. Got rid of all the woollen carpets for man made during
refurb of said property and they seem to have gone for the most part. They had mullered the living room carpet anyway,
looked like a cat had been at it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 306 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 479, 480, 481 ... 696, 697, 698  Next
Page 480 of 698