Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Todays - What grinds my gears *ARCHIVE*

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 504, 505, 506 ... 696, 697, 698  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:22 - 03 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 mins I've had the Rebel and someone's already driven into the back of me while I was stationary, sitting in traffic Sad

Other party admitted liability and said to claim on their insurance. Phoned up, insurance details all check out and so the ball is rolling...

Tomorrow my bike gets taken away to be assessed and I'll be given a replacement bike to ride in the meantime. My legal guy suggests I might be riding it for the next 1 to 3 months Shocked "Probably sooner, given the circumstances" until all the insurance stuff is sorted out.

And the actual damage?

The number plate holder is bent Rolling Eyes

But! Now it's being assessed they'll check for structural damage to the frame and rear mudguard, wheel alignment, etc.

If the guy had offered me £50 at the side of the road I probably would have taken it but he did insist; what a fecking waste!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:25 - 03 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
If that's the case I think he wanted it out in the open but was too much a wuzz to come out with it.

I bet he thought/guessed you would tell your wife and it would all come out.

That was exactly my interpretation as well.

He wasn't wanting man to man advice, he was wanting you to air his dirty laundry for him because he's not a grown man.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:30 - 03 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Tomorrow my bike gets taken away to be assessed and I'll be given a replacement bike to ride in the meantime. My legal guy suggests I might be riding it for the next 1 to 3 months Shocked "Probably sooner, given the circumstances" until all the insurance stuff is sorted out.

Be very careful with signing paperwork for that replacement hire bike because you'll be the one who's responsible for the bill if things don't go smoothly.

The bill for the hire bike is going to be substantially more than the bill for fixing your bike so the insurance company might not be too impressed about that.

The other party admitting liability doesn't mean anything as liability is for the insurance company to admit.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:44 - 03 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Be very careful with signing paperwork for that replacement hire bike because you'll be the one who's responsible for the bill if things don't go smoothly.

The bill for the hire bike is going to be substantially more than the bill for fixing your bike so the insurance company might not be too impressed about that.

The other party admitting liability doesn't mean anything as liability is for the insurance company to admit.

Yes, I was a bit wary of that. I should get some paperwork through by tomorrow and I'll look very closely at the fine print Thumbs Up

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:35 - 03 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be fun if they decide the bike is a write off and that they're going to buy you another bike. Mr. Green

Okay there's actually only a bent number plate holder thingy but there's nothing wrong with hoping that something amusingly interesting comes of it. Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:18 - 03 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Be fun if they decide the bike is a write off and that they're going to buy you another bike. Mr. Green

Okay there's actually only a bent number plate holder thingy but there's nothing wrong with hoping that something amusingly interesting comes of it. Laughing

First thing my wife said "they're not gonna write it off are they?!" Shocked

Anyhoo, yet another bike to ride. Getting through quite a variety this year (for me anyway.)

Knowing my luck it'll be another MT07!

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 03 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a replacement vehicle it's a nightmare. Make sure to take photos of every single scratch or piece of damage and make a note of it on their paperwork before you sign it. Excesses for that vehicle will be massive too.

I'm just thinking: If you've changed electrical connectors and added bits, will it not void any warranty or insurance if they find them?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:21 - 04 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
With a replacement vehicle it's a nightmare. Make sure to take photos of every single scratch or piece of damage and make a note of it on their paperwork before you sign it. Excesses for that vehicle will be massive too.

I'm just thinking: If you've changed electrical connectors and added bits, will it not void any warranty or insurance if they find them?

Void the warranty? Maybe... if the bike blows up from an electrical fire or something. Can't see how it infects the insurance though? Thinking

But yes, I was planning to take lots of photos of my bike but thanks for reminding me about the hire bike Thumbs Up

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 02:38 - 04 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:

Whoever is inspecting or fixing the bike knows nothing about what Easy-X has or hasn't declared to his own insurance.

Back to the topic of hire bikes... if your bike ends up gaining damage or losing parts when it's kicking around in a storage warehouse waiting for someone to assess it then the drivers insurance company won't be wanting to pay for that stuff.

There's no need for your bike to be taken away for weeks or months just so that someone can inspect and assess the bent number plate bracket. Your bike will be stored with other crashed vehicles so I wouldn't be expecting it to be wrapped in cotton wool or handled with care. In the mean time you'll have the liability of a hire back which will cost you dearly should anything happen whilst you've got it.

The cost of transporting your bike, storing your bike and providing you with a hire bike will be completely disproportionate to the cost of the necessary repairs.

Maybe contact the drivers insurance company and explain to them that you want to take the bike to an appointment at an accident repair workshop place local to you for it to be assessed because that's better for them and you compared to it being taken away and stored somewhere?

If it's taken away for weeks and months and you're left with a hire bike then it's the paralegal claims management company your insurers have passed you over to who are making a big profit at your inconvenience.

I'm sure there have been other threads on here where people have had their bike stored in a similar scenario to you and their bike came back with damage and parts were missing.

All this... over a bent number plate bracket. Neutral

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:08 - 04 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pointedly asked the claims droid what my liabilities are when they called this morning and they said that as long as the "Statement of Truth" is correct then there won't be any (obviously writing off a hire bike might affect this!)

So have I got this correct:

1) Fuck it, this could get messy. I'll buy my own number plate holder and just let the fucker get away with it.

2) Keep my bike, get my own independent assessment of the cost to repair and approach Admiral directly.

3) Leave it to the claims company and ride around on on a GV650 for a bit and expect my bike whenever and in a much worse state than a bent number plate.

Option 2 sounds the most sensible (thanks, Ste) but will there be any repercussions from pissing off my claims company? They're gonna be livid if I approach Admiral directly. There's already a warning letter in the docs I've been sent about the other way round: Admiral approaching me directly.

<addendum> I should be referring to them as the "credit hire company" rather than "claims guys" Smile

Last edited by Easy-X on 13:01 - 04 Sep 2019; edited 1 time in total

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:29 - 04 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
By brother in law I take it you mean he is your wifes sisters husband rather than married to your sister. Brick Wall

If that's the case I think he wanted it out in the open but was too much a wuzz to come out with it.

I bet he thought/guessed you would tell your wife and it would all come out.

Oh, and if I got it wrong and he is actually married to your sister, you should have decked him there and then. Hurt Thumbs Up

He is married to my wifes sister Smile tbf, I had to hold back from chinning him as it was. He said one of the reasons for cheating was that since their kid came along, and whilst she is building her own business, they aren't getting as much "intimate time".

It's all backfired if it was intentional. She told him that she wanted him out yesterday morning. He smashed the house up (with the kid next door) and then slit his wrists.

Classing it as an attention move though, because instead of calling an ambulance, he texts his wife that she can't leave him, she needs to look after him etc. She told him to call an ambulance, and it took over an hour to get there - he's still alive, got stitches and got out the same day. (I thought that if you attempt suicide, they are meant to keep you in obs?)

Anyways, he gets home, and he's refusing to move out. She's said that he's got a week to sort something out, and it looks like they are going to sell the house.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:25 - 04 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nasty business. Keep as far away from all this as possible..
.. while still keeping onside with your missus. Tricky times ahead I fear.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:35 - 04 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Nasty business. Keep as far away from all this as possible..
.. while still keeping onside with your missus. Tricky times ahead I fear.

Agreed

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:36 - 04 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBFcarl wrote:
...slit his wrists...he's still alive...

Proper instruction needed?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:37 - 04 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, staying well away. the main thing that pissed me off was that he put me in the position of knowing in the first place.

We are staying well away, but me and the mrs might take their kid out for the day on Saturday so he can have some fun and they can get the possessions split etc.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:19 - 04 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I2) Keep my bike, get my own independent assessment of the cost to repair and approach Admiral directly.

Contact Admiral to arrange the assessment being done somewhere locally which doesn't involve your bike taken away and stored somewhere for an open ended period of time.

Yes the claims management paralegal monkeys will be a bit unhappy if you contact Admiral directly as they won't profit from providing you with an unnecessary hire bike whilst they unnecessarily store your bike somewhere for however long they choose to. Fuck 'em. Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:20 - 04 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBFcarl wrote:
She told him to call an ambulance, and it took over an hour to get there - he's still alive, got stitches and got out the same day. (I thought that if you attempt suicide, they are meant to keep you in obs?)

Anyways, he gets home, and he's refusing to move out. She's said that he's got a week to sort something out, and it looks like they are going to sell the house.

You've no idea what he'd actually done and how serious the injuries were. You've also got no idea what he told the 999 people, what he told the ambulance people and what he told the A&E people. He'll most likely have been assessed by someone from the mental health team who will then have decided based on his injuries and how he was presenting, what the chances of things going wrong if they send him home rather than find where the nearest mental health unit in the country is that has a bed available.

Obviously their decision should be made entirely on what he needs and the lack of available beds shouldn't influence that decision but in reality, they'll be cautious about sending him somewhere a few hundred miles away when the situation is "that was stupid, don't do it again" as opposed to if he hadn't called 999 then he would have ended up dead.

The refusing to move out is the advice BCF would give to anyone in a similar situation so it's not surprising that he's opting to stay put rather than booking himself into a b&b.

You haven't heard the last from him yet beause after your man to man talk, either he see's it as you were clever enough to read between the lines and tell your family what was going on and so means you're a nice helpful person or it's now all your fault since everything went wrong when you told people stuff he thought would be kept private.

man to man etc etc etc Wub

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 04 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
By brother in law I take it you mean he is your wifes sisters husband rather than married to your sister. Brick Wall

I took it to mean his wife's brother.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:30 - 06 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cagers who don't know their lights grind my gears.
Newer cars tend to have led side lights on all the time. I live in a semi-rural spot so not all roads are lit. Those clueless cagers are driving on already illuminated roads in towns and heading to unlit roads. They know these wonderful bright lights are on at the front and assume they're low and high beam. They're not.
It might light the road enough for them to drive by but it also means their back lights are not on. A lack of distance illumination means they're driving slower on unlit roads, in the dark and with no rear lights on. I've almost hit 4 cars in 7 days like this. 30 on a 60 road that's unlit and clueless cagers driving cars they don't even have a basic grasp of - they're far more interested in what colour the cage is or what apps it has.
Ranting here.

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:33 - 06 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does Halfords ask for my email address when I’m shopping in store? I’m buying a cheap rattle can of black paint - I’m hardly likely to want an extended bloody warranty am I?!? And why did he look surprised why I (politely) declined?? Twat. Twatty company!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:03 - 06 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

1198 wrote:
Why does Halfords ask for my email address when I’m shopping in store? I’m buying a cheap rattle can of black paint - I’m hardly likely to want an extended bloody warranty am I?!? And why did he look surprised why I (politely) declined?? Twat. Twatty company!

Dude! Save the planet!!! They'll email you a receipt instead of printing one.

Ending up on their marketing database is, like, totally incidental Rolling Eyes

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:06 - 06 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

1198 wrote:
Why does Halfords ask for my email address when I’m shopping in store? I’m buying a cheap rattle can of black pain

chunkylover53@aol.com

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:06 - 07 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
1198 wrote:

Dude! Save the planet!!! They'll email you a receipt instead of printing one.

Ending up on their marketing database is, like, totally incidental Rolling Eyes

They need your email addy coz
In case you forget to notice there is a big fucking red brick building near Tescos/B&Q with Halfords in big White Letters on the front.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:05 - 07 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I caused havoc in Screwfix just recently.
I walked in wanting a pack of screws.
Do you have your card she asked.
I have no card I replied.
Your surname? she asked.
No I replied.
Oh I understand she said. It's OK - we all understand here she replied.
Excuse me? I said loudly. At that point a tradesman standing nearby tried to use his card to allow the transaction through. She shoved his hand away and smirked at me. I went into loud voice rant.
Look. If you get my name, my address then you'll spam the f8ck out of me. Not only that but you'll then sell my information to third parties and without my knowledge - oh that's right it'll be in the small print you're clearly not showing me. I know fine well that this is not a membership only shop and nor does it sell to the trade only. Now, are you going to sell me the screws or do I go somewhere else to buy them?
She shouted for the manager. The manager had heard everything. Without questioning me he typed in a bypass code for the till.
Boils my p*ss when shops try for information like that.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:49 - 07 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Self service tills and cash machines.

"This till only accepts cards."

Fine, scan items.

"Please select your payment method."

Ffs you just told me you only accept cards

Cash machines are even worse.

"Cash only",
"£20",
"Would you like your balance on screen or on balance slip", no fuck off i asked cash only
"Would you like a receipt", ffs no all i want is cash Twisted Evil

I'm sure it done purely for the purposes of winding people up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 232 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 504, 505, 506 ... 696, 697, 698  Next
Page 505 of 698