Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Todays - What grinds my gears *ARCHIVE*

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 564, 565, 566 ... 696, 697, 698  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:42 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

You can think what you like about me, or about anything, but my main problem is with having our LIBERTY removed.
I don't see how anyone can really be pleased about that.

I'm not pleased in the slightest (infact I'm fucking fuming), but people can't be trusted.

I spent yesterday pootling around Wiltshire. Roads, absolutely fecking empty. Towns and Villages however, they all had groups of people congregating outside in close proximity. Most of these people were grey haired and many had walking aids, prior to this I didn't realise that many pensioners even existed. We cripple the country (longterm) to avoid killing half a million or more of these crusties and they proceed to actively try and kill each other off Laughing Thumbs Down Middle Finger

I'm reigning in my movement to work/food gathering related only. Not because the posh albino tosser has told me too but because I think given the circumstances I'd be a hypocritical cunt not too.

Just smoke alot of dope, you'll forget you haven't been outside in days Very Happy

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:13 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

How the hell am I supposed to find a job (any job) in all this lot!

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:49 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

NHS are hiring.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:10 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrex has been overrun with demand too Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:25 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
NHS are hiring.

I've had a look. Most jobs want nursing or care qualification, which I have not got. I am about to run out of money, completely. What the hell happens then? I have never been in this position before.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:40 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
I am about to run out of money, completely. What the hell happens then? I have never been in this position before.

Short term, delivery work. I bet takeaways are so busy you could make full time pay, remember lots of previously non-takeaway places are doing delivery now as well. Yeah it's shit but it will pay the bills.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:47 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of my mates are (a) not key workers or (b) retired, so don't or can't work from home. They post about doing all the odd jobs they never got around to doing, cleaning/reorganising their workshops and garages, sitting in the sun with a beer in one hand an Autosol in the other.

I'm a key worker and can work from home, with the odd jaunt into the office for hardware poking, so am still full time. And the weather's finally nice.

Bet it rains at the weekend.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:54 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prison is starting to look like a viable option.

Free board and lodging, plus all the bog roll you can wipe with.

Wonder if I can get locked up for something mild, like a hate non crime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:02 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Howling Terror wrote:
NHS are hiring.

I've had a look. Most jobs want nursing or care qualification, which I have not got. I am about to run out of money, completely. What the hell happens then? I have never been in this position before.

Supermarkets might be hiring as well.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:09 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:
I am about to run out of money, completely. What the hell happens then? I have never been in this position before.

Short term, delivery work. I bet takeaways are so busy you could make full time pay, remember lots of previously non-takeaway places are doing delivery now as well. Yeah it's shit but it will pay the bills.

I've applied for a couple of temp supermarket jobs, but it's a perfect storm. Places closing, temporarily or permanently, lots of people looking, like me, for any sort of work. We're not supposed to go out looking for work. Lots of work positions no longer available, even cleaning, which like anything else at all I would do if they would have me. My van has a small diesel leak from somewhere. No bike on the road at the moment. I'm going out to have a look at it.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:59 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

How the fud can Asda only charge £1.02 for a litre of unleaded but Tesco want £1.18?
Robbing bastids.

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:19 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want to live where I am on an island, here prices are always much higher, drive off onto the mainland for eight minutes,Sittingbourne, super rock bottom prices. Nuts!

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:00 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My rant wasn't ironic, TSK
Any hilarity ended last night.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:03 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
my main problem is with having our LIBERTY removed.
I don't see how anyone can really be pleased about that.

Agreed, but are you angry with the virus, or with the agencies trying to contain it?

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:01 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The anger is understandable due to the fact that the govt hasn't been explaining anything at all (they think we're idiots so they don't bother even trying).

I've been trying to make head or tail out of this business, and I've come to certain conclusions. First, medical science doesn't help to explain the risk and spread of the virus, because it doesn't have specific knowledge about the virus. Second, the govt used first one strategic model, and then (recently) switched to another. The one we have currently is the one that should have been adopted from the start. The switch from one strategic model to another is a valid and understandable cause for distrust and confusion, because the govt has yet to admit it made a mistake in its initial response.

Without blathering on in a thousand words, the model Boris is now using (which is behind this lockdown) is based on statistics and an understanding of the kurtosis behaviour of multiplicative virus epidemics. There's no reason it shouldn't work if the lockdown is actually observed for 1 month. With unknown infectious virus pandemics, mean sample data is completely useless (other than in a journalistic sense) because sample data is never the true data. One guy could infect 3 people, who show no symptoms, who each infect 20 others, 35% of whom show symptoms, etc. Plotting the curve is way too complex (requires massive data sets - 10 log 13 has been bandied around) which is why upper infection limits are being quoted by Boris, as well as the specific timeframe for review. The Gaussian curve over time doesn't resemble normal distribution but is a sort of recurve - and most activity will spike around a peak virus point. Most cases will occur on either side of that peak, in a very short period of time, like a 3-sigma within a 3-sigma. This could easily become a completely unmanageable situation, so the strategy with the lockdown is to spread it out a bit. It's a peak, we all know it's coming, but we don't want to be peaky lol.

In short, the virus can come and do its damage to public health, but if the damage can be spread out over time, the effect of the virus will not be as damaging to public health (and all the social, economic, administrative, logistical supplies systems) as it would otherwise be.

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:13 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to say i don't think the whole truth is being told ,but i think we are now been told to go in the right direction,be patent ,especially if your in one of the hot spots.
I'm just going to sit it out

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:28 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tankie wrote:
I would like to say i don't think the whole truth is being told ,but i think we are now been told to go in the right direction,be patent ,especially if your in one of the hot spots.
I'm just going to sit it out

Yeah, me too. On two wheels.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:15 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Agreed, but are you angry with the virus, or with the agencies trying to contain it?

I've tried to examine it today and I still can't quite pinpoint what I am the most angry about.
There's so much to choose from Rolling Eyes

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:25 - 24 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
The anger is understandable due to the fact that the govt hasn't been explaining anything at all (they think we're idiots so they don't bother even trying).

If it walks like a duck...
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 25 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
I recently did one of those bowel screening things where you have to send off a bit of poo in the post (the NHS sends this to everyone when they reach a Certain Age). This morning I got the result back in the post, the letter opening with "Usually this result is not caused by cancer". So that's all right that then.

Turns out that of the 6% of people who get an abnormal result like this, actually 9% do have cancer. Fuck fuck fuck. So my chances just went from 1 in 200 to 1 in 10. Anyway, it's camera-up-the-bum time within the next 3 weeks so at the very least I've got that joy to look forward to.

Tracey Suntan-King wrote:
I operate on the (mature and rational) premise that if you go looking for something, you’ll find something. So don’t go looking. I know that makes no sense, but hey ho.

hellkat wrote:
Islander wrote:
50 in Scotland. I don't know why people avoid it to be honest. It takes hardly any time to do, is simple, there's no poo/finger contact involved and it could save your life. Thumbs Up
Yes I got one around age 50 as well.
Its not as if I avoid other initiatives about screening. I've diligently gone for every smear, and most of the breast scans.
Its not gonna "save your life" Rolling Eyes
We're all gonna die.
NOBODY gets saved from that.

Just a quick follow-up to the above....

I duly had my camera-up-the bum-fun-time a few weeks ago; didn't take the proffered sedative as it doesn't prevent any discomfort, just calms you down (which I really didn't need) and gives you amnesia (they use the 'date-rape' drug midozalam). It wasn't particularly bad, and enabled me to watch with great interest as they lassooed and excised two bloody great polyps the size of golf balls. I was told they 'looked fine' but to wait for test results to confirm they weren't cancerous.

Fast-forward another week and I was called in to be told 'sorry, you've got cancer'. I've since had CT and MRI scans, and have been waiting for those results somewhat anxiously for the past 10 days or so, to find out what I'm up against. This morning I received the call to say that there's no spread at all - no lymph nodes, no metastases - and they are confident they've got all the cancer out and no further treatment is needed. Massive relief obviously.

The message - if you get the opportunity for screening, FFS take it. Apparently it has indeed 'saved my life' (or for the pedants - looking at you, hellkat) it's given me the potential for a few more decades'-worth.

Last edited by Freddyfruitbat on 16:20 - 25 Mar 2020; edited 1 time in total

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:47 - 25 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super , what a good result.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:49 - 25 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort of puts the Corona panic into perspective.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:23 - 25 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
(or for the pedants - looking at you, hellkat)

Laughing

Whatever time-to-die fate has in store for me, I'll see you on the other side eventually.

Its not as if there's much worth living for right now anyway. Rolling Eyes

I truly hope that it turns out to just be the non-deathing variety of bum cancer for you, Battus fruitus. Wub

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 21:13 - 25 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
NHS are hiring.

As are the Post Office, and Amazon deliveries, and I suspect other delivery services like Blood Couriers, food services and so on.

Actually you can get work with the NHS without a care qualification, the jobs you need to look for are Auxillary, Domicillary or Healthcare Assistant type roles. Plus security, cleaners, food, porters etc. The qualification you will need to acheive is the Care Certificate, but this is done within 3 months during the probabationary period.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:31 - 25 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been picking stinging-nettle tops.

It seems that nitrile gloves are not thick enough to stop the stings

The pads on the tips of my fingers are giving very strange sensations.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 30 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 564, 565, 566 ... 696, 697, 698  Next
Page 565 of 698