Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Todays - What grinds my gears *ARCHIVE*

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 695, 696, 697, 698  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:35 - 23 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Midgies are horrible little kuhnts when they attack.

Most folk hate everything about the wee bastirts.

But the little dudes are a phytoplankton of the highlands.

A basic and abundant food source for a diverse range of higher organisms.

And they keep Scottish Wilderness free of too many tourists and the non-biodegradable shite that they leave in their wake.

You could eradicate them all now though. Sturgeon and the SNP have taken over that job, and do it much more efficiently Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:07 - 23 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
I bet if it had been a bird of prey, you'd have been impressed. Rolling Eyes

nope. birds of prey dont impress me either. give me a song bird any day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:14 - 23 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of birds, from my spare room window I can see a nesting box that someone has pinned up on a Birch tree just beyond the gardens. Too far to see what it was, but some bird was climbing up the trunk towards the box. As I was watching, I was thinking, what's that? Too brown to be a nuthatch, too big to be a treecreeper.

Then it hopped right up onto the box and poked its head in the entrance, to be instantly attacked by the resident - a blue tit I think, much smaller bird, but just too distant to be sure - and duly seen off. The resident then sat on top of the box and cheaped away in warning.

I dunno, better for "oils my gears" really, but what I wanted to reply was, I find nature impressive generally.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:49 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
On the subject of birds, from my spare room window I can see a nesting box that someone has pinned up on a Birch tree just beyond the gardens. Too far to see what it was, but some bird was climbing up the trunk towards the box. As I was watching, I was thinking, what's that? Too brown to be a nuthatch, too big to be a treecreeper.

Then it hopped right up onto the box and poked its head in the entrance, to be instantly attacked by the resident - a blue tit I think, much smaller bird, but just too distant to be sure - and duly seen off. The resident then sat on top of the box and cheaped away in warning.

I dunno, better for "oils my gears" really, but what I wanted to reply was, I find nature impressive generally.

You are Bill Oddie and I claim my £5.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:16 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

You are Bill Oddie and I claim my £5.

And you are odd billie... Razz

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 09:41 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

And you are odd bertie... Razz

FTFY

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:57 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander and Nobby the Bastirt R a kuplakahnts. Rolling Eyes

Very Happy

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:18 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Government minister on the radio today saying internet companies who supply end to end encryption messaging services need to be made to improve safeguarding of kiddies from predators and inappropriate content and stating that the companies can be made to allow the authorities access if foul play is suspected.

Thereby fundamentally misunderstanding what end-to-end encryption actually is and how it works. Despite this being her actual job.

Also expressing concern about exposure of kiddies to inappropriate content on social media, totally glossing over the fact that most social media platforms do no allow kiddies to hold accounts and access their content. So any account they hold is against the terms of service, any kiddies found with one should be closed and what are the parents doing while their 9 year old is fraudulently posting on facebook/whatever?

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:41 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
fundamentally misunderstanding what end-to-end encryption actually is and how it works. Despite this being her actual job

Rolling Eyes You really, really couldn't make this shit up, could you?

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:49 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Government minister on the radio today saying internet companies who supply end to end encryption messaging services need to be made to improve safeguarding of kiddies from predators and inappropriate content and stating that the companies can be made to allow the authorities access if foul play is suspected.

Thereby fundamentally misunderstanding what end-to-end encryption actually is and how it works. Despite this being her actual job.

Also expressing concern about exposure of kiddies to inappropriate content on social media, totally glossing over the fact that most social media platforms do no allow kiddies to hold accounts and access their content. So any account they hold is against the terms of service, any kiddies found with one should be closed and what are the parents doing while their 9 year old is fraudulently posting on facebook/whatever?

If they really want to protect children they they would start a mass sterilisation program. But they just don't care.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:49 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Was she a Scottish MP? Very Happy

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:51 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

If they really want to protect children they they would start a mass sterilisation program. But they just don't care.

FFS Aldridge has hacked Ribena's account. Shocked

Laughing

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:18 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

We deal with this a lot at work - kids are clever. Even if you block their wifi and turn off their internet they just use a connection shared from one of the other kids who has a working 4G connection and get online that way instead. Or they find an open internet in the adjacent area.

Little gits.

You can't supervise them all the time. So you have to make it harder for them to get accounts in the first place or stop the problem adults from masquerading as children and getting accounts on what are meant to be children only networks.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:03 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
stop the problem adults from masquerading as children and getting accounts on what are meant to be children only networks.

And stop the problem children from masquerading as adults and getting accounts on what are meant to be adult only networks.

It ain't easy.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:09 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or shut down the entire interwebs. Very Happy

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:10 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope it isn't. Glad i'm not a parent OR a teacher tbh.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:16 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two wrong turns on my road bike is what grinds my gears today.

I was gonna climb the local highest moutain peak (1324m above the sea level; my starting point is roughly at 200m). I ascended to about 720m when I realised I wasn't gonna reach the top on that route, as the road just turned into mud and rocks with 20+% gradients... so I went back down, and tried a different route, this time reaching 721m to fail in the exact same manner.

So, I asked a random hikker and right away he seemed very confused, telling me he has never seen anyone on a bicycle, let alone on a road bike on slick tyres, trying to reach the top from that side of the moutain. And it was at that moment I knew, I fecked up, twice. IF I tried this from the other side of the moutain, there is a smooth asphalt road right up to the top with very mild gradients... sigh*

Cool scenery, though.

I was too exhausted to try the road bike friendly route that's one the other side of the moutain. To be continued. I'm gonna have to print out the map for my next attempt.

By the way, the cyclo computer picture is me descending back from my second atempt (to show how fecked up the gradient was, mostly 15-20%) and those wooden structures are the pub and accommodations half way through to the top ... both closed due to covid. I tried to push the bike up to the top, so I could descend on the other side on the smooth road bike friendly road, but there was a lot of mud and my shoes were not ideal for hikking (very slippery), so I gave up and went home. Worth mentioning, it takes me about 40 km to get to the foot of the mountain from where I live. So, I wasn't what one would call ''fresh'' on my second attempt.

Last edited by RhynoCZ on 21:46 - 24 May 2021; edited 1 time in total

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:59 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Two wrong turns on my road bike is what grinds my gears today.

I was gonna climb the local highest moutain peak (1324m above the sea level; my starting point is roughly at 200m). I ascended to about 720m when I realised I wasn't gonna reach the top on that route, as the road just turned into mud and rocks with 20+% gradients... so I went back down, and tried a different route, this time reaching 721m to fail in the exact same manner.

So, I asked a random hikker and right away he seemed very confused, telling me he has never seen anyone on a bicycle, let alone on a road bike on slick tyres, trying to reach the top for that side of the moutain. And it was at that moment I knew, I fecked up, twice. IF I tried this from the other side of the moutain, there is a smooth asphalt road right up to the top with very mild gradients... sigh*

Cool scenery, though.

I was too exhausted to try the road bike friendly route that's one the other side of the moutain. To be continued. I'm gonna have to print out the map for my next attempt.

By the way, the cyclo computer picture is me descending back from my second atempt (to show how fecked up the gradient was, mostly 15-20%) and those wooden structures are the pub and accommodations half way through to the top ... both closed due to covid. I tried to push the bike up to the top, so I could descend on the other side on the smooth road bike friendly road, but there was a lot of mud and my shoes were not ideal for hikking (very slippery), so I gave up and went home. Worth mentioning, it takes me about 40 km to get to the foot of the mountain from where I live. So, I wasn't what one would call ''fresh'' on my second attempt.

Feet, Inches, Gallons and Pounds Sterling please. We are no in Europe now. Rolling Eyes

Back on topic.
Mountains are sneaky.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:02 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Back on topic.
Mountains are sneaky.

A sneak peak?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:52 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summit wrong with that story.

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:07 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bank Of Cyprus put a red flag on our current account alleging we've been trading Bitcoin.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

We've got no cash. Can't withdraw funds or use cards. Please advise Rolling Eyes

PS What is Bitcoin?

Been to bank, supposedly sorted but cards still blocked

Γάμα αυτή τη μαλακία.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:10 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Feet, Inches, Gallons and Pounds Sterling please. We are no in Europe now. Rolling Eyes

It was totally fecking steep climb, mate. Big time! Thumbs Up

Next time, I hope this sunday, I'm gonna try the third route, that is the one I thought I was headed to today. Smooth asphalt/tarmac road.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:38 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

The main issue was, all of those routes start like this. Going on a sort of nice, smooth asphalt/tarmac, seening the TV/Radio transmitter on the top, getting closer to it with each pedal stroke... well today I picked the wrong route, twice.

I already printed out the map, with the proper route and will attempt to reach the peak again.

That's the transmitter:

https://1gr.cz/fotky/idnes/14/072/cl5/JOG54a566_5.JPG

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:38 - 24 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracey Suntan-King wrote:

We've got no cash. Can't withdraw funds or use cards. Please advise Rolling Eyes

Does Sid look good in a short skirt?

Tracey Suntan-King wrote:

PS What is Bitcoin?

Cryptocurrency. Like Monopoly money but stored on a computer, stored in a wallet with a password, which if you lost you'll also lose your money, and it's susceptible to huge losses and gains against other currencies, so a bit like trying to buy toilet rolls priced in EUR with GBP when you've forgotten your pin.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:56 - 25 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

I'll pass.

Be immeasurably better with an engine powered by fuel that isn't a human.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 330 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 695, 696, 697, 698  Next
Page 696 of 698