Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Todays - What grinds my gears *ARCHIVE*

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 268, 269, 270 ... 696, 697, 698  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:19 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent the whole morning (yesterday) in a dull-as-fuck AGM, so that the public audience - who you never see except once a year at the AGM - can keep informed and pretend they are interested.
(not interested enough to do it for free all year round, like those of us up at the top table, though, eh?)

Bloody boring because its all just a rehash of what we've all been doing all year, so no moving-forward stuff actually occurs.

Anyway.
The only light at the end of the tunnel was a lecture by a rather hot professor that I've previously worked with, and on a reasonably interesting subject (for a change).

But the executives rattled on for too long and ran over by 20 minutes so his lecture was cancelled. So he stomped off and I didn't get the chance to bat my eyelashes at him over an egg mayo sandwich.

*sulk*

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:02 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebay buyer.
Sold an enlarger and stated that it wasn't working. I genuinely thought it might just be the bulb, but hadn't tested it or investigated it at all. The bulbs are over £100. Chap won it, collected it, had a good look over before he took it. He's now had it "professionally" inspected and asserted that it never would have worked in the way that it was set up.
Yes, it did work previously, but I know it wasn't working when I last looked at it, and that is how I listed it.
"Well that's what you say".
Being called a liar has really pissed me off.
I should have just sold the ancillary bits individually and dumped the transformer that appears to have died. I actually would have made more money on it, never mind the lenses that I sold him for a lot less than what they go for. I actually wasn't looking to make money on this, and really just wanted it gone and to go to someone who had the time and knowledge to get it working and enjoy using it. It's a great price of kit.
He's also complained that parts inside are broken. I don't know if that happened in his car, because they weren't damaged when it was here.
Number blocked.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:49 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
Sold an enlarger

An enlarger, you say?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/hwwAAOSwHnFVk0w5/s-l300.jpg

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:01 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheap stitching inside t-shirts

the collars and cuffs start to itch after a few dozen washes

I've taken to wearing my t-shirts inside out Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:11 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="hellkat"]
jnw010 wrote:
Sold an enlarger

An enlarger, you say?

Sad Didn't work though. Laughing

Just to clarify it was photographic enlarger. It's still annoying me though.

So I'm going to rant a bit more.

Most of the machine runs on 120v and the bulb originally ran on 24v. Based on what he told me over the phone I suspect it was converted to run on full 120v after the original combined timer and 24v transformer unit died and a much newer simpler timer was wired in and most likely the bulb and holder were simply swapped to new parts. The 120v conversion was quite common on these as the 24v box was both expensive difficult to source. I never looked inside it because when I used it, it just worked and it never needed any attention.
There are numerous cables, a transformer, stabiliser, controller boxes and then a modern 240v timer. They all have fuses. Troubleshooting the exact issue or faulty part shouldn't be beyond simple multi-meter use.
I strongly suspect that he's downloaded a manual off the internet and decided that it should be 24v because that's what the manual says and he's now confused as to what's what. I figured whoever bought it would know what they were getting themselves into and would be able to troubleshoot this themselves - the parts for these are and have always been horrendously expensive as they aren't toys, and were certainly never aimed at the hobby or retail market.
I was completely clear in the advert that the timer had been changed.
Why on earth would you buy commercial equipment if you've got no idea what you're doing with it.

I would have probably driven up to him to help him sort through it if he hadn't been such a total arse on the phone, accusing me of selling him a load of rubbish and lying about it's condition.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:28 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had hoped to start uploading my biking holiday pics from the last 18 days to p/b,only to find that they have now decided that I have to pay in some way Evil or Very Mad

Anyone else found a way around this before I move all my pictures to another photo hosting page?

Always have a 'Plan B'

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:58 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:
I had hoped to start uploading my biking holiday pics from the last 18 days to p/b,only to find that they have now decided that I have to pay in some way Evil or Very Mad

Anyone else found a way around this before I move all my pictures to another photo hosting page?

New host I'm afraid. Imgur is my choice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:48 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
jnw010 wrote:
Sold an enlarger

An enlarger, you say?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/hwwAAOSwHnFVk0w5/s-l300.jpg

Funny......there's no nail on that finger.....

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:37 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a car pull out in front of me this morning with a sticker on the back saying look out for bikes and a sticker saying give blood save lives.

Reported a trike that was dumped on a public crossing on monday between a dual carriageway. To find out the owner had just left it there as the clutch cable had snapped.

An put a bid in for a house within the region of 95k to find out that someone else had come along and paid 110k cash. So now got 3 more viewings on friday and saturday.

techathy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:03 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The absolute belief of most politicians at local level that because reducing road capacity reduces car use there will be less congestion. No you twats, you raise congestion to the levels that people find the alternatives are more convenient while also reducing the total road capacity so future traffic increase will only lead to even more congestion. Brick Wall

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:14 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long story short but, having to do a runner from two plastic po po because I refused to speak to or acknowledge a member of Kingdom environmental services for throwing a used fag end down a roadside grid, as there were no bins about.

To put things into perspective. There are shootings around the area on a daily basis and scumbags putting up two fingers to po po whilst riding past them on stolen bikes, because po po can't chase them as the poor darlings might get hurt and my father (or other elderly residents) won't go outside when it's dark because of the amount of local crime.

Anyhow, I managed to escape (probably because po po couldn't really be arsed with such a trivial matter more than my ability to run like Usain Bolt). Laughing

In my defence, I always either dispose of any litter in a bin or carry it home with me. But putting used fag ends in my jeans pocket isn't really a reasonable option imo. More so as the council has recently removed four litter bins in the area and replaced them for an electronic advertising board.

Anyway, FTPP. Middle Finger

I've also just realised that now my potential £80 fine will reach £1,500 plus costs if caught. (Apparently the c*nts wear body cams Neutral )

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:21 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

techathy wrote:
The absolute belief of most politicians at local level that because reducing road capacity reduces car use there will be less congestion. No you twats, you raise congestion to the levels that people find the alternatives are more convenient while also reducing the total road capacity so future traffic increase will only lead to even more congestion. Brick Wall

We've just had a bout of that where I live, they've turned the high street into one way traffic, and made the whole other side of the road into.......

Pause for effect...

Yet another cycle lane that nobody asked for.Brick Wall I've yet to see pushbike use it. Meanwhile the whole town has
become essentially one way as a result of this move which now places the usual peak time queues of traffic out of sight
of the Civic Centre (at the top of the high street) so presumably, they believe it's simply gone, and they are awesome
environmental champions for getting rid of it. NO.YOU.CUNTS!!! It's just moved elsewhere in the same town creating
all new queues in different bottlenecks... And if it's fucked now, how will it be any better with the 1500 new homes recently
given the go ahead once each has a couple of cars adding to the traffic??? Idiots! Oh, and business is 30% down on the
High Street according to the traders as the new routes we have to use round town are not at all efficient, making a half mile
journey into a mile and a half with a queue at the end. So people are mugging off the High St and using the slightly out of
town selection of all the main supermarkets instead. So in summary, the traffics worse, journeys are longer,
cars are sitting in queues for longer, in turn pollution from idling cars must be worse and footfall on the High St
is down significantly. But the (non existent) cyclists have 50% of the High St available to ride on and the do
gooders at the council get to justify their non jobs. Nice work! How did we manage before??

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:23 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing and everything. Life is just one big meh.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:27 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to watch two hours of House of Lords debate, on BBC iPlayer.
It's on a subject I am passionate about.
And I don't often do passionate except about food and sex.

Everybody else has watched it and given their opinion.
Mine doesn't matter anyway, cos I am but a lowly pleb, but I still have to watch it, hence gears ground Rolling Eyes

Got to go to work now, though.
Only watched about a quarter of it, but will watch the rest of it on the weekend (including the speech by our esteemed Chair, Baroness Awesomebird of Poshland Wub )

And its surprisingly interesting what they have on the iPlayer parliament section.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:30 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Nothing and everything. Life is just one big meh.

Awwwww chickenybobs, what's up geezer.
Life's alright sometimes.

Come to town, have a beer with aunty hellkat.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/52/9b/e7/529be7577d76142ce3ea27f5967bbe3a.jpg

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:45 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://johnhartstudios.com/bc/
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:11 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love BC comics, a vastly underrated cartoony.

Anyway, I'm back for a bit of another whinge.
People who write you letters and say "I enclose a [whatever]..." and then don't enclose it. FFS, back in my secretarial days that was practically a sackable offence, definitely at least a black mark against the personnel record if you were found out.

They used to make us type "Encl." at the bottom of our letters to remind ourselves when we were envelope-stuffing that there was something else to go in there. Rolling Eyes

So THANKS NewVic for not including the list of other local colleges I might be able to do A levels in Economics* as mature-student-learning. I'll just spend an indeterminate number of hours finding them for myself Rolling Eyes

*its easy to find A level mature student classes in English or Maths because those are part of the government's whole numeracy/literacy drive, but how about something you're actually interested in. I don't want to do fucking pottery or upholstery.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:11 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave70 wrote:
Long story short but, having to do a runner from two plastic po po because I refused to speak to or acknowledge a member of Kingdom environmental services for throwing a used fag end down a roadside grid, as there were no bins about.

To put things into perspective. There are shootings around the area on a daily basis and scumbags putting up two fingers to po po whilst riding past them on stolen bikes, because po po can't chase them as the poor darlings might get hurt and my father (or other elderly residents) won't go outside when it's dark because of the amount of local crime.

Anyhow, I managed to escape (probably because po po couldn't really be arsed with such a trivial matter more than my ability to run like Usain Bolt). Laughing

In my defence, I always either dispose of any litter in a bin or carry it home with me. But putting used fag ends in my jeans pocket isn't really a reasonable option imo. More so as the council has recently removed four litter bins in the area and replaced them for an electronic advertising board.

Anyway, FTPP. Middle Finger

I've also just realised that now my potential £80 fine will reach £1,500 plus costs if caught. (Apparently the c*nts wear body cams Neutral )

The plastic policemen are surprisingly persistent. A guy at work cycled through a red light, got stopped and then did a runner. He had his work uniform on Rolling Eyes They came to the depot with a couple of real coppers and waited 2 hours for him Shocked If only they put so much effort into other crime.

grr666 wrote:
techathy wrote:

We've just had a bout of that where I live, they've turned the high street into one way traffic, and made the whole other side of the road into.......

Pause for effect...

Yet another cycle lane that nobody asked for.Brick Wall I've yet to see pushbike use it. Meanwhile the whole town has
become essentially one way as a result of this move which now places the usual peak time queues of traffic out of sight
of the Civic Centre (at the top of the high street) so presumably, they believe it's simply gone, and they are awesome
environmental champions for getting rid of it. NO.YOU.CUNTS!!! It's just moved elsewhere in the same town creating
all new queues in different bottlenecks... And if it's fucked now, how will it be any better with the 1500 new homes recently
given the go ahead once each has a couple of cars adding to the traffic??? Idiots! Oh, and business is 30% down on the
High Street according to the traders as the new routes we have to use round town are not at all efficient, making a half mile
journey into a mile and a half with a queue at the end. So people are mugging off the High St and using the slightly out of
town selection of all the main supermarkets instead. So in summary, the traffics worse, journeys are longer,
cars are sitting in queues for longer, in turn pollution from idling cars must be worse and footfall on the High St
is down significantly. But the (non existent) cyclists have 50% of the High St available to ride on and the do
gooders at the council get to justify their non jobs. Nice work! How did we manage before??

I'm a keen cyclist but I hate underutilised infrastructure. I don't think it helps with the whole motorist hatred thing (towards cyclists) either.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:57 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, the shopkeepers aren't that thrilled with the cyclists and their unwanted, unused cycle lane either.

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 15:06 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my suit to get dry cleaned the other day. I went to pick it up today as I am going to a wedding tomorrow. The dry cleaners is shut. For a week.

When they reopen I will be tutting very loudly when picking up my suit.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:14 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took on a whole load of extra work for some extra cash, then took on another batch of extra work for even more extra cash.

Had an email today to say "we notice that you haven't been uploading this work recently so we will be reallocating from inactive people". Except I am not inactive and have ploughed my way through over half the job in the last week.

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:27 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waiting to see if my offer has been accepted as the seller is on holiday.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:26 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

chickenstrip wrote:

Or, to save time:

https://johnhartstudios.com/bcstrips/2015/november/bc111615dc.jpg

Mr. Green

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:06 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:
Waiting to see if my offer has been accepted as the seller is on holiday.

Welcome to property purchasing/selling. It can get way way way shitter than a weeks delay, if that's all the inconvenience
you suffer then you're doing well. I've lost thousands on property deals and I've made thousands on property deals, overall
I'm well up on what I started with but it hasn't been a stroll in the park.

Assuming acceptance, wait till you deal with conveyancers, then you'll really learn what delay tactics and stalling are all about.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:07 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
I took my suit to get dry cleaned the other day. I went to pick it up today as I am going to a wedding tomorrow. The dry cleaners is shut. For a week.

When they reopen I will be tutting very loudly when picking up my suit.

Tesco suit it is then?

Poor joke is poor, based on your avatar.

Sorry, ill leave.

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 278 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 268, 269, 270 ... 696, 697, 698  Next
Page 269 of 698