Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Todays - What grinds my gears *ARCHIVE*

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 356, 357, 358 ... 696, 697, 698  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:34 - 19 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
It's quite common on the continent as well. Daft idea IMO.

Asda round our way is totally pay at pump. No one there at all. The shape of things to come?

I hope so, can't bear queuing with the great unwashed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:36 - 19 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Millennials. Mid-20s guy in the office with a technical degree and a job in problem solving was asking me how UPS deliveries work, what will happen if he's not in, and what an Access Point is. They sent him links to everything, but apparently not a spoon to eat them with.

He understood what they said. He just wanted to know what it meant in the real world, from someone with 'experience'. ie you. Thumbs Up

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:39 - 19 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air filter arrived.
15mins after I'd left for work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:47 - 19 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
It's quite common on the continent as well. Daft idea IMO.

Asda round our way is totally pay at pump. No one there at all. The shape of things to come?

Same with my local Asda, sadly I can't get there because the Beddington lane has been shut since January....

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 07:39 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
Being asked to prepay for a tank of fuel....

Late for work the other morning, I rushed into Esso. There's a big sign on the pump: PLEASE PREPAY FOR ALL FUEL.

Fml.

https://sparkpeo.hs.llnwd.net/e2/guid/ddc13b19-aa58-471f-bc66-cb2b9edc4fa8.jpg

I jog into the kiosk, and say "I'd like to prepay for pump number four, please". Ahmed says "you want to prepay, or you want to put the fuel in first?"

Thinking

I said, "there's a sign on the pump which says I have to prepay - that's why I'm here now". He says "ah, no need - we just don't bother to take them off after the night shift".

Rolling Eyes

Lazy fvckers. If there's one thing I hate more than having to go through the process of buying fuel, it's having to go through it twice for no bloody reason.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:26 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dog sitting my daughters dog for the weekend.

1. It's terribly badly trained
2. It's a Husky. Why do people buy Huskys as pets, they really aren't suitable.
3. Wifie said, 'yes, we'll have him and promptly made arrangements to be away for the weekend leaving him with me. Evil or Very Mad
4. I can think of 101 things I rather be doing with the weather like this.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:50 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Source- I have driven right across the USA in a big thirsty car buying fuel a great many times. Took some getting used to
doing it their way,

Someone else did that in a big thirsty car and said one guy filling the tank at a petrol/gas station asked him to turn the car engine off so he could fill the tank.
The driver asked, "Why, is it for safety?"
The gas station guy said, "No Sir, the Gas pump cannot keep up."

Embarassed

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:58 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Because look at me.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:05 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Dog sitting my daughters dog for the weekend.

1. It's terribly badly trained
3. Wifie said, 'yes, we'll have him and promptly made arrangements to be away for the weekend leaving him with me. Evil or Very Mad
4. I can think of 101 things I rather be doing with the weather like this.

A polar bear and a husky walk into a bar.

Can't decide if this is the start of a joke or how you should start the rest of your weekend...

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:15 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The electric showers just packed up after about 7 years of twice daily use. My initial investigation would suggest the
heating element has a fault as it will work when running cold but not when the thing is set to heat water, it trips my
RCD every time. Looks like I'm off to B&Q later and spending the afternoon standing in the bath fitting the new one. Sod it.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:52 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Why do people buy Huskys as pets

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/15/game-thrones-fans-urged-stop-buying-huskies-number-abandoned/

I don't get this thing about pre-paying for a fixed amount of fuel before pumping it. The only place I've seen it was pre-pay at the pump, and if you're set up for that, then you're set up to to pre-authorise a payment for whatever fuel is is actually taken.

It seems like a worst-of-both-worlds solution and the only point I can see to it is to try and get people to go to the counter and buy a £2 tin of cat fud while they're at it.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:57 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have eaten something earlier this week that hasn't agreed with me, I know have a mouth full of blisters and ulcers. At least my tongue isn't done this time so the pain is only when I eat and drink.

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:21 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephen_o wrote:
I know have a mouth full of blisters and ulcers.

Hivvy.

Rogerborg wrote:
I don't get this thing about pre-paying for a fixed amount of fuel before pumping it. The only place I've seen it was pre-pay at the pump, and if you're set up for that, then you're set up to to pre-authorise a payment for whatever fuel is is actually taken.

It seems like a worst-of-both-worlds solution and the only point I can see to it is to try and get people to go to the counter and buy a £2 tin of cat fud while they're at it.

The other thing I don't understand is that it must just be a pre-auth, yet done inside the kiosk rather than at the pump itself.

It doesn't make sense for it to be a pre-payment, otherwise you'd have people going in, saying "£0.50 of unleaded please mate", filling up their tank completely, and fcking off. Yet, Ahmed asked me how much fuel I wanted, which would suggest it is a genuine pre-payment.

I don't believe they can monitor 8 pumps at once in that way, or that there's any way to stop them automatically when they hit their £n prepaid limit. Is there? Thinking

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:28 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powderhead wrote:

I don't believe they can monitor 8 pumps at once in that way, or that there's any way to stop them automatically when they hit their £n prepaid limit. Is there? Thinking

Yes they can (if set up for it). Tescos pumps have preset amounts of fuel on their pumps for the customers, £10, £20 etc. so I'm sure it's perfectly easy to set it up for the cashier.

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:35 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Yes they can (if set up for it). Tescos pumps have preset amounts of fuel on their pumps for the customers, £10, £20 etc. so I'm sure it's perfectly easy to set it up for the cashier.

Good point, although the particular garage I was talking about has ancient pumps. No pay-at-pump, no preset amounts. Just old-school standard pumps. It doesn't feel like they'd have the technology there.

I only went because it was cheaper that day. I'm going back to Applegreens next time Cool

I forgot to mention that I binned the sign as I left, so I'm probably not welcome anyway Laughing

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:51 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting pressure put on you to deliver something for work, and yet you need the help of other people within the company who don't answer emails, the telephone, skype, lync, JIRA, two yoghurt pots on a string, semaphore, smoke signals, mongolian throat warbling, curses in Klingon, or any other method of communication you might care to devise. You know they are there and available, just ignoring you and every other member of your team.

When I say something, I mean pretty much EVERY SINGLE THING one might have to do.

All hypothetical of course. Rolling Eyes

There may or may not be a letter of resignation on the desk of someone who may or may not be the manager of someone who may or may not have written this post.

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:58 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
There may or may not be a letter of resignation on the desk of someone who may or may not be the manager of someone who may or may not have written this post.

Pass the popcorn

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:23 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just over two months of use and the Oxfraud tailbag zip has separated from its stitching. Thankfully, though, it's the zip that fastens the main compartment flap rather than the base so will continue to run until gets worse and then moan. Well, waterproof-ness depending of course.

Bodged GoPro mount (the clip had half broken because of constant putting in and out of the sticky pad mount and was secured with tape) finally broke thanks to a blast on some 50-60 mph roads. Twenty odd quid for a new one, excellent news.

Might sod-off the use of helmet cams if next one snaps. Over expensive and a pain in the arse.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:54 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Just over two months of use and the Oxfraud tailbag zip has separated from its stitching. Thankfully, though, it's the zip that fastens the main compartment flap rather than the base

They all do that, sir.
My tank bag 'lid' zip stitching went after longer than I'd expected it to last, on a corner, which seems to be the usual place.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
They all do that, sir.
My tank bag 'lid' zip stitching went after longer than I'd expected it to last, on a corner, which seems to be the usual place.

Switched to Kriega, yet?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:44 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
They all do that, sir.

Switched to Kriega, yet?

I've got the Kriega US bags for touring, but prefer something with a zip lid for ease of access for using on the go. Just find it more convenient. The Oxford t/bag is still in use - if I think it will rain, I just wrap things up inside it, but when it finally gets unusable, I'll just use one of the small Kriegas. For now, I just do up the zip on the t/bag to just before the tear on each side.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:19 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

When one has just finished mowing the grass with nice stripes and one's beloved decides to ride his Honda XL125RC in circles round and round the cherry tree in the middle of the lawn.

Twas funny tho!

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:46 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracey Suntan-King wrote:
When one has just finished mowing the grass with nice stripes and one's beloved decides to ride his Honda XL125RC in circles round and round the cherry tree in the middle of the lawn.

Twas funny tho!

What a lad.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:41 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

A polar bear and a husky walk into a bar.

The polar bear says “oww!” , it was an iron bar .

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:47 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazon Seller Fulfilled Prime - I get an email from Amazon to tell me that they are refunding (from my account) £38 for "non delivery". I look at the order and see Royal Mail haven't updated the tracking status for 4 days from "we will try to deliver this today" (last saturday) . Whilst I am looking at this Amazon remove the money from my account wiping out the days sales revenue and leaving me in a minus which at the end of the day they will charge to my bank card. I then get put on the naughty step for the complaint with my listings dropping down the rankings. I get through to Royal mail and they don't know wtf has happened so I demand the item is returned to me. So far down £38 plus £5.60 postage on a sale I received originally 29 - £5.60 postage. Fuming.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 343 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 356, 357, 358 ... 696, 697, 698  Next
Page 357 of 698