Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Todays - What grinds my gears *ARCHIVE*

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 397, 398, 399 ... 696, 697, 698  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:05 - 05 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats grinding my gears most is that nothing keeps grinding my gears.
Got nothing to moan about *again* today.

https://gph.is/1OQBkSm

I mean, I did have ... *shite* commute to work today.
But that was this morning. I was proper fucked off.
By the time I got here ... not pissed off any more.

Its not right.
Rolling Eyes

Why isn't my wolfman showing up? I guess I could sulk about that for a bit ...

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:45 - 06 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you had a good day pal. You're wolf man will turn up one day. Smile

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:05 - 06 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess death counts as a grinds my gears contender; Sad times as we had our perpetual puppy (13½, yrs old) put to sleep yesterday.

Sweep spent her last days having a great time in Scotland but fell seriously ill so we made the difficult decision.

She was a lawless free spirit. Loyal to a fault and very loving. She went everywhere with us and has ran more miles than any other dog I've known. A real joie de vivre!

Once met never forgotten.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:19 - 06 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
I guess death counts as a grinds my gears contender; Sad times as we had our perpetual puppy (13½, yrs old) put to sleep yesterday.

Sweep spent her last days having a great time in Scotland but fell seriously ill so we made the difficult decision.

She was a lawless free spirit. Loyal to a fault and very loving. She went everywhere with us and has ran more miles than any other dog I've known. A real joie de vivre!

Sad

Sorry to hear it. I'm not the world's greatest dog fan, but I quite took to all your crew.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 06 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:

Its a huge loss isn't it?
You have my genuine condolences.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:18 - 06 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
Howling Terror wrote:

Its a huge loss isn't it?
You have my genuine condolences.

And mine, it's a horrible thing to happen. I still get a lump in my throat when pictures of my old dog pop up on my phone and he went in March.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:31 - 06 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dramatised documentaries. Are they blurring the line between fact and fiction too much? Is it a good idea to colour history for entertainment value? Do they lead us to make too many assumptions about the character of the main players? Does that matter? Thinking
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:40 - 06 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big shout out to Scottish veterinarian Ally in Gairloch who made her comfortable for the long journey back home (steroid and anti-sickness injections).

A huge loss....It is yes, even our hardened vet shed a tear.

...and when someone who isn't really a fan of dogs says yours are ok...well it means a lot. Thankyou.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:41 - 06 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's well shit HT. I'm sorry to hear this. I was having a talk with my mum tonight who told me her 13yo rottie
Ruby is on her last legs and might not make it to Christmas. It's just awful, heartbreaking. Crying or Very sad

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:32 - 07 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awwwww HT, big hugs babe.
It's the most wrenching thing, seems like the hurt will never go away.
Lots of love xx

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:58 - 07 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebay buyers.

Buy it now or make an offer. They come in with an offer of 10% of the buy it price. It doesn't even cover the cost of the packaging never mind the postage.
I chat back nicely and suggest a fairer price. They counter offer with 50p more than their original offer. They're not trolling - they buy this stuff regularly from other sources.

I'm half tempted to sell anyway, discover their address and head down to kick their bins over.

Must be a way on Ebay to block certain members??

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:27 - 07 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand this mindset at all. Why ask for offers if you're only willing to trim pennies off?

I try for at least 10% saving on pretty much everything that's open to some haggling. Why wouldn't I? Eh?

It says "Make me an offer". I bought a car yesterday. I didn't pay screen price. Never paid asking for a property either.

90% of the price is an offer. When selling, I always price in my favour and only list as buy it now. I don't court
offers or list auction items. I get the odd offer via PM. Which I don't respond to in the slightest unless it suits me.

Sometimes I buy things cheaply just to immediately sell again for a profit.

See how this works yet?? And yes, you can block irritating potential buyers making you offers which you chose to invite.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:10 - 07 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just list things* for my lowest price, say this is my lowest price, no offers, please don't make me an offer as I won't respond.

*actually, I only use ebay classifieds to sell bikes, but

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:37 - 07 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
I don't understand this mindset at all. Why ask for offers if you're only willing to trim pennies off?

I try for at least 10% saving on pretty much everything that's open to some haggling. Why wouldn't I? Eh?

It says "Make me an offer". I bought a car yesterday. I didn't pay screen price. Never paid asking for a property either.

90% of the price is an offer. When selling, I always price in my favour and only list as buy it now. I don't court
offers or list auction items. I get the odd offer via PM. Which I don't respond to in the slightest unless it suits me.

Sometimes I buy things cheaply just to immediately sell again for a profit.

See how this works yet?? And yes, you can block irritating potential buyers making you offers which you chose to invite.

I think you misunderstand?
The item is £20. They offered £2. They offered 10% of the buy it now price.

Thanks for that link. The majority of buyers are good but it's one or two who really do take a lend.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:22 - 07 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think he's misunderstood you, because I pretty much think the same way.

If you are selling your [piece of junk, POJ] cos you don't want it any more, then if that POJ attracts me who thinks it is a [thing of beauty, TOB]

But then I don't want to pay original TOB price for it, cos it is second hand and the current owner thinks its a POJ, else he wouldn't be selling it: he would be adoring it.

I therefore think "I will offer what I think is a decent price for that", which, as it is second hand and unwanted, does not really merit much more than 10% of the asking price.

If you wanted to make money out of it, you would have sold it through a different medium.

Thing is, there are people out there who want something So Desperately that they will pay what you want for this thing you effectively no longer have a use for.

So if they are silly enough to pay the price you ask (and to be fair, I often am, myself) , or to offer a themselves a small discount on your asking price, then all well and good between buyer and seller.

I just think its mad that the advent of places such as eBay has elevated sellers of second-hand goods (used to be called fences, oh wait ... that's something else) so that their status has altered on the social strata and they seem to think they have now "arrived" ... from the bottom of the shit-heap to this seemingly apex position where they think their junk is of high value when in fact ... it totally isn't. They are deluded.

It may be of high INTEREST to someone else (otherwise there would not be bidding wars) ... but if its not brand new any more ... its no longer high value.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:58 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
I don't think he's misunderstood you, because I pretty much think the same way.

If you are selling your [piece of junk, POJ] cos you don't want it any more, then if that POJ attracts me who thinks it is a [thing of beauty, TOB]

But then I don't want to pay original TOB price for it, cos it is second hand and the current owner thinks its a POJ, else he wouldn't be selling it: he would be adoring it.

I therefore think "I will offer what I think is a decent price for that", which, as it is second hand and unwanted, does not really merit much more than 10% of the asking price.

If you wanted to make money out of it, you would have sold it through a different medium.

Thing is, there are people out there who want something So Desperately that they will pay what you want for this thing you effectively no longer have a use for.

So if they are silly enough to pay the price you ask (and to be fair, I often am, myself) , or to offer a themselves a small discount on your asking price, then all well and good between buyer and seller.

I just think its mad that the advent of places such as eBay has elevated sellers of second-hand goods (used to be called fences, oh wait ... that's something else) so that their status has altered on the social strata and they seem to think they have now "arrived" ... from the bottom of the shit-heap to this seemingly apex position where they think their junk is of high value when in fact ... it totally isn't. They are deluded.

It may be of high INTEREST to someone else (otherwise there would not be bidding wars) ... but if its not brand new any more ... its no longer high value.

In a huff now. You saying my 'junk' isn't wanted? Last time anyone had my junk they loved it.. Oh you mean my junk on Ebay?
Yes to be fair it was already reduced in price massively and yes I would probably drop to half what I'm asking - that offer was just so low. I'm definitely butt hurt by them (not really) but it does make me realise I should adjust a few parameters (that's me saying I'll remove the make me an offer thingy for starters).

I do appreciate input with things like this - always good to get the thought process of the buyer explained.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:43 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always put stuff as a "or best offer" listing even if I've got no intention of accepting anything less than the full price. Laughing

People making stupidly low offers isn't all bad as the eBay listing shows how many offers you've declined.

I don't bother with counter offers, if they actually want the item then they'll pay full price. Mr. Green

Even if you list something as just a buy it now, people email you with offers anyway. Rolling Eyes

If you've priced it correctly then someone will pay the full asking price.

toby1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:56 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real gear grinder for me.

Seems to be a spate of b listers going on jolly's and experiences mere mortals either cannot afford or would never have the chance.

We have to sit in our armchairs and ooh and aah at the wonder of it all. Joanna Lumley does the silk road, and now a bunch of twats Gordon, Gino, and Fred will grace our screens for the next few weeks pratting about in Europe.

No, we are not part of it, No we are not having a great time with them, No this is not entertainment it's a Harry Enfield's 'loads of money' two fingers for gullible licence payers. Evil or Very Mad

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:06 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am actually ground myself Shocked !
I had a great day yesterday seeing old friends and spending the day at the bike show.

I worked Saturday night/evening = 6hours out in the cold & rain.

The combination of little sleep/long very busy day and a cold means today I feel like I’ve been put through a mangle.
Fuck! I feel like shite today.
Oh well, at least it wasn’t injury or death Thumbs Up

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:41 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

toby1 wrote:
We have to sit in our armchairs and ooh and aah at the wonder of it all

No.

You don't.

toby1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:47 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are meant to..........

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:47 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

toby1 wrote:
Real gear grinder for me.

Seems to be a spate of b listers going on jolly's and experiences mere mortals either cannot afford or would never have the chance.

We have to sit in our armchairs and ooh and aah at the wonder of it all. Joanna Lumley does the silk road, and now a bunch of twats Gordon, Gino, and Fred will grace our screens for the next few weeks pratting about in Europe.

No, we are not part of it, No we are not having a great time with them, No this is not entertainment it's a Harry Enfield's 'loads of money' two fingers for gullible licence payers. Evil or Very Mad

Totally agree there.
Far too many unrealistic holidays that so many people can't afford.
I didn't holiday this year. Too poor and couldn't even afford to wild camp in Scotland - had too many things happening at home which take priority and that'll be the same for almost everyone in these hard times.

I've done something awesome here - I don't watch TV anymore. I have a much bigger variety of 'entertainment' I can watch on my laptop.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:51 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenants.

Specifically tenant. Just been to attend a gas safety check in the tenants absence. Will be going back over there tonight to
point out some of the terms of the tenancy agreement he signed. Need to have a firm word about the state of the front garden.
I'm surprised the neighbours haven't been on the phone about it really. It's only a couple of hours work to tidy it up and I'm happy
to go over in the van and take all the rubbish away for him too, which he knows full well. Disappointed.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:55 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's looking for somewhere else to live.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:58 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fourte wrote:
toby1 wrote:
Joanna Lumley does the silk road

Totally agree there.
Far too many unrealistic holidays that so many people can't afford.
I didn't holiday this year. Too poor and couldn't even afford to wild camp in Scotland - had too many things happening at home which take priority and that'll be the same for almost everyone in these hard times.

I was under the impression that the Silk Road one was supposed to be more of a documentary? But it's been done before.

Quote:
I've done something awesome here - I don't watch TV anymore. I have a much bigger variety of 'entertainment' I can watch on my laptop.

*Snigger*

Shifty
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 195 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 397, 398, 399 ... 696, 697, 698  Next
Page 398 of 698