Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

4/5k budget...best MPG?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

AngelGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:35 - 20 Aug 2018    Post subject: 4/5k budget...best MPG? Reply with quote

As per the title, I currently have an Smax that's doing 50mpg which is pretty good, but don't need such a large car any more, so having a look at a replacement. I'm 90% motorway driving, and have just moved out to the sticks, so looking for as high as possible mpg.

Quite like the look of the 2011 onwards 1.6 detec Civics, but in my budget they all seem to be 130k + miles.

Any suggestions for me? Nothing smaller than a focus/golf size.

Thanks!

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 12:42 - 20 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My diesel Avensis claims 65-70mpg on long motorway runs. It works out at closer to 60-65, but still, it's pretty efficient fuelwise. Never gonna be an exciting car, but it does the job comfortably and relatively frugally.

grr666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:36 - 20 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any well maintained VAG 1.9TDI from the 2001-2009 ish era. Thus avoiding DPF technology.

AngelGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:12 - 20 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Any well maintained VAG 1.9TDI from the 2001-2009 ish era. Thus avoiding DPF technology.

Websites stating around 50mpg...which is good...but ideally looking for a bit higher, the Civics, and just had a quick look at some Hyundai i30s are hitting over 70mpg fairly easily.

grr666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:26 - 20 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remap. My Skoda Fabia vRS used to achieve 60mpg with a little careful throttle. Couldn't get it below 40mpg even literally
ragging the clutch out of it tbh. There's the SDI which is the same lump minus the turbo and 60mpg is a minimum in one of
those. I could fill up in Bristol and the needle not even start to move until I reached the M25, my wife had one. The way she
drove it it saw high 70'sa lot of the time, I think she thinks nothing can comfortably rev past 3k. Laughing

B5234FT
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:43 - 20 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont get too attached to MPG ratings. The difference between 50 and 60mpg over 25k a year for example is ~500.

You'll fairly quickly eat that up in differences in tyre sizes/costs, VED, servicing (especially if its a belt rather than a chain), or any sort of significant failure (turbo, clutch, DPF etc.)

If you really want economical motoring, you need to look at the total costs, not just MPG.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:58 - 20 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

B5234FT wrote:
Dont get too attached to MPG ratings. The difference between 50 and 60mpg over 25k a year for example is ~500.

You'll fairly quickly eat that up in differences in tyre sizes/costs, VED, servicing (especially if its a belt rather than a chain), or any sort of significant failure (turbo, clutch, DPF etc.)

If you really want economical motoring, you need to look at the total costs, not just MPG.

I do agree which I why I like a bog standard simple petrol engine. I'll take the hit in mileage (and it's not that huge a hit nowadays) for the trade off in complexity and servicing.

However I rarely do over 15000 miles a year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1