Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What was the last thing you bought?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 215, 216, 217 ... 459, 460, 461  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:05 - 14 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^Good clean browsing.....Can't knock it. Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:42 - 14 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stallion. wrote:
A pair of new knee sliders for my leathers as mine are worn out something a weekend warrior could only dream of achieving.

lol you're slow as shit, just like everyone else who's only ever ridden on the road. I don't need to ride all year to be quick you gibbering shitflap.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:01 - 14 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many guitars do you have HT?

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:10 - 14 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 plus the others.

They all sound the same really. i.e crap when I get my mitts on them.

ok wait a mo

18 and I've included 1 Bass 1 ukulele and 1 broken Gretsch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:11 - 14 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
How many guitars do you have HT?

Probably more than he can ever play Laughing

Collecting can get stupid. I have about 40 watches. I love watches but I normally only ever wear 3 out of my collection, and one for very special occasions. I haven't opened the boxes of some in 10 years Embarassed

My version of gambling?

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 14 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could play the guitar. Sad

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:33 - 14 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

No not a collector otherwise I would've spent my money on a late 1950s early 1960s guitar....I can BS ...err I mean qualify why I got each guitar.

Got to have a 6 string acoustic and the 12 string was a 21st present from a girlfriend.
The Spanish classical was given to me by my Dad.

My first electric was £80 from a lad I knocked about with down south.
The variax has a sitar and some good emulations..cost 150

The mex strat was offered to me for £50 and the strat plus was my first real proper guitar purchase..and got that for 380!!
The Bass is by cort and again about 150..it features on lots of my songs.

The Gibson LP was a biggy 1400 from the proceeds of a house sale.
Wanted a guitar with active pickups so the breadwinner was bought and like the other eastwoods they're old quirky guitars remade in china/korea and inexpensive compared to say the rickenbacker which was a wedding gift from my wife and cost 1400

The new one Liberty is 500 notes and that's about 1 1/2 months worth of smoking which I've packed in but got it because it has a p90s in the bridge and neck positions.

See told you I could BS my way through.

Lemme tell you how and why I got so many amps...............
Laughing

[edit] All my guitars are played and all of them are on my songs...some more than others.

Last edited by Howling Terror on 23:36 - 14 Mar 2018; edited 1 time in total

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:36 - 14 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:

Buy one, practice, give up, sell it. Laughing

*If you decide to give it a go, try an electric guitar (something modern) for the thin/fast neck (easier to play) and also for the quietness of such guitar. Acoustic guitars are too loud to be played be complete beginners.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:46 - 14 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
No not a collector otherwise I would've spent my money on a late 1950s early 1960s guitar....I can BS ...err I mean qualify why I got each guitar.

Got to have a 6 string acoustic and the 12 string was a 21st present from a girlfriend.
The Spanish classical was given to me by my Dad.

My first electric was £80 from a lad I knocked about with down south.
The variax has a sitar and some good emulations..cost 150

The mex strat was offered to me for £50 and the strat plus was my first real proper guitar purchase..and got that for 380!!
The Bass is by cort and again about 150..it features on lots of my songs.

The Gibson LP was a biggy 1400 from the proceeds of a house sale.
Wanted a guitar with active pickups so the breadwinner was bought and like the other eastwoods they're old quirky guitars remade in china/korea and inexpensive compared to say the rickenbacker which was a wedding gift from my wife and cost 1400

The new one Liberty is 500 notes and that's about 1 1/2 months worth of smoking which I've packed in but got it because it has a p90s in the bridge and neck positions.

See told you I could BS my way through.

Lemme tell you how and why I got so many amps...............
Laughing

[edit] All my guitars are played and all of them are on my songs...some more than others.

Quite a spread of prices. Other than the 'name', what constitutes the big variation in price? Just quality of workmanship as I presume the electronics side is pretty cheap.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:51 - 14 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a really nice Ibanez SA-260 and a Big ass line 6 amp.

Its finding time to practice, I keep saying I'm going to learn, then I start to get in to it then something derails it then, I put it down and have to start over again.

I really want to have some lessons to get me started.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:53 - 14 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Quite a spread of prices. Other than the 'name', what constitutes the big variation in price? Just quality of workmanship as I presume the electronics side is pretty cheap.

Yes, pretty much + the materials (wood) and the design (how it's made).

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:59 - 14 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

18 is a fair few. I have 4 and no plans to buy more but it's been nearly 20 years since I last added to my little set.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:07 - 15 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name first and foremost, then country of origin, then materials and the hardware i.e pickups and tuners which incidentally are not cheap. A good set of pickups will transform a cheap basswood body guitar. A cheap set of volume and tone potentiometers will make your great pickups into on-off switches and they'll feel flimsy..You know what a good knob should feel like eh ..eh.

Good paintjobs aren't cheap.

Thing with the name is that is the name that your eyes know from all those countless record covers and music videos...and a Fender Telecaster or a Gibson Les Paul..well they are benchmarks..blueprints that are still copied.

£150 guitar will sound and play ok and compared to say 20 years ago the QC is pretty mind blowing.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:19 - 15 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:

I wish I could play bass guitar like a black man... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1oJvILOgsE

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:29 - 15 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the hours I put in I should be a virtuoso. It's a rare day when i don't play guitar.

My Dad started off as self-taught then he took proper lessons in his 30s and passed his classical guitar grades and read and wrote music score then he did the same with the saxophone. He made a living from music when he wasn't doing other jobs that paid better. Christ could that man play the Blues.Wub

The reason I didn't listen to his advice and the reason I'm not a virtuoso is my pig-headed stubbornness to not play other people's music, or take any form of lesson....and maybe I'm just not good enough anyway.

Try going to a guitar teacher and saying ok teach me but I won't be practicing any bloody beatles songs or oasis guff or even the music by people I do like.

Something inside me recoils at the thought of copying.

That's my problem though....but I wholly recommend that you do learn all those old and new songs by those other people and learn those rules...then you can break them.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:53 - 15 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:
I've got a really nice Ibanez SA-260 and a Big ass line 6 amp.

Its finding time to practice, I keep saying I'm going to learn, then I start to get in to it then something derails it then, I put it down and have to start over again.

I really want to have some lessons to get me started.

No excuses in this connected age.
https://www.justinguitar.com/

Playing with others is very useful too.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:05 - 15 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're so right HK Phooey, playing in bands is nigh on essential.

I can tell when I'm jamming with those that play alone. They either can't keep time or they don't leave space....or both.

I miss playing in a band.....then I remember the reasons why I don't play in bands. Smile
I still jam-out though.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:09 - 15 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
Try going to a guitar teacher and saying ok teach me but I won't be practicing any bloody beatles songs or oasis guff or even the music by people I do like.

Something inside me recoils at the thought of copying.

Hmm that's strange Smile Most people I know lost interest in music at school as you're not taught the stuff 'kids' are listening to. I kinda regret not taking it further but at the time I was producing the music I wanted to at home, and having to play Pachelbel's Canon at school, which I liked... I might have even done a Hip hop remix Shifty, I just think they could engage kids a lot more if it wasn't all about 'the classics'.

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:29 - 15 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:
Anyone know what the highest price thing someone has posted in this thread is? Anyone posted a house?

On a mortgage, but yeah, £200k in Jan 2016.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:52 - 15 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Hmm that's strange Smile Most people I know lost interest in music at school as you're not taught the stuff 'kids' are listening to. I kinda regret not taking it further but at the time I was producing the music I wanted to at home, and having to play Pachelbel's Canon at school, which I liked... I might have even done a Hip hop remix Shifty, I just think they could engage kids a lot more if it wasn't all about 'the classics'.

Oh I could quote the births and deaths of all the famous composers, and other such pointless information because at the time that was a big part of the music O level. The lessons were uninspiring.

What piqued my interest was family and friends. One of my first memories is sitting on my Dad's knee whilst he played a yellow piano (it was all the rage to hand paint anything wooden in the 60s) I remember all the equipment set up in the back of the garage where the band would rehearse. Dad played with musicians who went on to be session guys or played in known bands of the time ...guess having children nipped his aspirations a tad although he never said we did.

Got my first guitar at 11 and it was a very expensive classical guitar. my Dad showed me Am and G and E..It was the time of Punk and me a mate formed a punk band and played our guitars using screwdrivers or 2 pence pieces...Ad-libbed the lyrics...still got the cassettes.

So in short I've either listened to or played music all my life.
Past 15 years have been solo which has been a steep learning curve.

1 great thing about music....I've never been bored in my life.
Boring yes. Laughing

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:38 - 15 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chain cleaning brush on offer on Amazon at 77p.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:34 - 15 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Far too many toy guns and toy gun accessories.

If Mrs Borg asks, these things cost maybe £20, £30 quid each, right? Shhh!

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:34 - 15 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Far too many toy guns and toy gun accessories.

If Mrs Borg asks, these things cost maybe £20, £30 quid each, right? Shhh!

That plan might backfire when she carts them off to cashconverters behind your back Laughing

"Look darling, I exchanged only five of them for a weekend health spa session, they gave me full price, didn't I do well!? Have you packed your budgie smugglers? They do spray tans you know. "

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:36 - 15 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually safe there, she won't touch or even look at dangerous assault-style toys. I have to refer to it as "going fishing". So I've just bought a sniper rod and a sub machine rod.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:51 - 15 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I'm actually safe there, she won't touch or even look at dangerous assault-style toys. I have to refer to it as "going fishing". So I've just bought a sniper rod and a sub machine rod.

Are you planning on taking up teaching or do you bat for the other team?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 15 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 215, 216, 217 ... 459, 460, 461  Next
Page 216 of 461