Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What was the last thing you bought?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 290, 291, 292 ... 459, 460, 461  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:48 - 12 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:

I wouldn't dismiss playing live again, technical wise it would be one hellova challenge seeing as I play everything. Me playing to my own backing tracks could be a solution.

It's the buzz of playing with a band I miss. Playing to backing tracks as a solo act wouldn't do it for me. The buzz off an audience is just another plus - assuming you can conjure it up! Laughing

Quote:
It's a hassle I don't miss...(talking like I was a pro muso. Laughing ..I/we were never that)

Yeah, it can be that, but when it works out... Cool
And it doesn't need you to be a pro - of course I never had a hope of that either - didn't really crave it. Had my moments though, on a very humble scale!

Quote:
I've missed that bus Nick

Can you stand up with a guitar strapped on and play? Wink
Mind you, loading and unloading amps and kit was never much fun.

Quote:
Aye the Gibbo 335, or 339 which I haven't tried yet.
Be a while before I save up for one of those.

Is anyone making good copies at a reasonable price these days? Back in my days of playing, I think it was Epiphone who were doing some pretty good efforts - until that chap from Oasis started being known for 'em - of all people! - and the prices of those sky-rocketed Rolling Eyes
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:07 - 12 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ibanez Epiphone Yamaha all do a ES-335 type and Heritage. Won't be a 335 tho will it.

I've got a PJ type Bass and it may possibly play as good as a Fender but it isn't a Fender.

Heard that those Hongdou bikes are similar to Hondas etc. Smile

Nope, got my heart set on a three thirty five/nine.
Lucky to have a really good 2nd hand music shop nearby so will be looking there when the time comes.

If the buzz from an audience meant that much to me I'd be at a venue right now. I play original stuff and that limits where I could play.

Content with creation. When somebody tells me they're into it that's a good feeling sure but its never has been my raison d'être.
My music is better than most piffle out there and it's better than some of the stuff I've bought.
I'm so good it hurts. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:33 - 12 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:

Nope, got my heart set on a three thirty five/nine.

Isn't the other one to look at the 355? Which is what I think B.B. King played?

I guess blues is a bit different to play live than the kind of stuff you do. A lot of standards, but it's what you make of them with the rest of the band. One of the things I love about that music - lots of live playing opportunities, jams etc. Well, there was around London and Oxford, anyway.

When I was trying to get a band together, the bass player had penned some original non-blues tunes he wanted to do. I said fine, but they needed to at least "sit in" with the other stuff we were doing. So since he'd only penned them with basic chords, I took a couple of them and played around with 6/9etc chords, added some licks in appropriate places, and he seemed pretty pleased with the results. Pity we never got anywhere.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:49 - 12 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
Ibanez Epiphone Yamaha all do a ES-335 type and Heritage. Won't be a 335 tho will it.

I've got a PJ type Bass and it may possibly play as good as a Fender but it isn't a Fender.

Heard that those Hongdou bikes are similar to Hondas etc. Smile

Yeah, I do get it - had to have a proper Fender USA Strat myself. But that has to be my only electric. You've got guitars coming out your ears Smile , so thought it might be worth looking at other makes too. Had a Squier Silver Series Strat at one time, and that was a bloody nice guitar - if I'd changed the machine heads out for something better quality, I could've lived with that for quite some time. The tone on the second position (bridge/middle) was something I've yet to hear as nice as.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:53 - 12 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much difference between the 335 and 355. 355s often have a Bigsby and they have block inlays..a fancy version. Same body same neck and pups.

Blues...well I love the Blues as you know but Root 4th n 5th is ...well it is what it is and the world doesn't need another Blues player when the best has been wrung from that formula...in my opinion of course.

I like different chisels but yeah they're all chisels. Each one makes me approach the same thing at another angle.

I pick up the Melody Maker and it makes me want to smash things.
The Rickenbacker I like to coerce it into uncomfortable sex. The Schecter has EMGs and a sustainiac so it's good for quite a few styles. Ambient drones or wailing a speciality.

I don't really form a 'relationship' with them as such. Maybe the Strat Plus and the D22 acoustic as there's a bit more of a story to those.
All 20 odd get played. 14 of which from different makers.

They're nice on the eye too..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:03 - 12 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
Not much difference between the 335 and 355. 355s often have a Bigsby and they have block inlays..a fancy version. Same body same neck and pups.

Ah, I didn't know.

Quote:
Blues...well I love the Blues as you know but Root 4th n 5th is ...well it is what it is and the world doesn't need another Blues player when the best has been wrung from that formula...in my opinion of course.

I dunno. Every once in a while, someone comes along who has something different to add, gets a bit of a revival going. That's how it has always been with that music. It's really just a vehicle for whatever feeling you can put into it, and that also means you don't have to stick to the 3 chord basics. It's a good place to start for developing something of your own from, as well as making it easier to get together with complete strangers for a bit of fun. Oo-er etc. Having said that, blues isn't all I play/played. For the band I was trying to get going, we covered Hendrix (I love playing "The Wind Cries Mary" among others Smile ), Cream, Rory Gallagher etc. And with matey's own stuff, we might've taken it somewhere original in time. I could've been a contenduh! Laughing

Quote:
I like different chisels but yeah they're all chisels. Each one makes me approach the same thing at another angle.

Again, yeah, I get it Thumbs Up

Quote:
The Schecter has EMGs and a sustainiac so it's good for quite a few styles. Ambient drones or wailing a speciality.

Wait, have we seen this one? I don't know much (anything really Laughing ) about these, but the name conjures up top quality craftsmanship, something very special, beautiful looking - have I got that right?
PRS is another make I always had that impression about.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:24 - 12 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dainese Waterproof Rain https://www.bikestop.co.uk/dainese-waterproof-rain-overgloves

Not keen on mittens or lobster claws so I thought I'd try these mediums over my medium Alpine GP Pro's for when it's pissing down. First impression was that the fingers were an inch too long yet there was pressure at the finger base and the cuffs were a fraction too short. Wrong shape! I don't think a different size would help. On the bike they felt clumsy at first but they kept the heavy rain and the windchill out, however they hurt a bit. Nice idea, useable but not quite right.

Also, Oxford Rainseal Waterproof Over Jacket https://www.bikestop.co.uk/oxford-rainseal-waterproof-over-jacket. Felt a bit short at first but wasn't a problem. Easy to put on over my Wolf Titanium textile jacket although the proliferation of Velcro on my kit means it easily snags, which can be annoying when getting kitted up. Good collar. The Oxford sleeves would be better an inch and a half longer. The cuffs have a semi-circle of elastic and the other side has a Velcro strap. The elastic seemed unnecessary and fought against me as I tried to fit the cuff over my glove. On the road I noticed the cuffs rode up and left a small gap. The jacket kept me warm and dry though.

Both useful but could be better.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:48 - 12 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Wait, have we seen this one? I don't know much (anything really Laughing ) about these, but the name conjures up top quality craftsmanship, something very special, beautiful looking - have I got that right?
PRS is another make I always had that impression about.

I daresay Schecter do some really high quality stuff, IIRC they do a pretty guitar for [google search] Avenged Sevenfold?? (no, not me either) but mine is this one
It plays real nice, lovely silky neck and the fret ends are smooth. The Floyd Rose doesn't have that aluminium into steel problem so should be good for donkey's. Fun to play.

Got a story about PRS; Guitar shop in town (now sadly gone) had one of the first PRS customs in and I just happened to be buying some strings. The owner knew me through my Dad and called me over to look inside the case. He handed it to me and said plug it in. 'This is Patney's son' (Dad's nickname) he said to the others who were also checking out this beautiful instrument.

What followed was embarrassment for all. From his face and others he'd expected I was a real player like my Dad and was gonna do some wicked licks to show off. I bashed out some power chords and hastily handed it back.
Totally ruined the vibe. Embarassed

Back OT.
I bought some painkillers. Ibuprofen 200mg and Paracetamol 500mg.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:54 - 12 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it might have been Mark Knopfler that turned me on to the Schecter name? Someone like that, featured in a guitar magazine, way back.

That green would burn my retinas out Laughing

Back OT? I bought nothing. Absolutely nothing. Not OL, not IRL. Jeez, how do I get through the days?! Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:11 - 13 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:

Got a story about PRS; Guitar shop in town (now sadly gone) had one of the first PRS customs in and I just happened to be buying some strings. The owner knew me through my Dad and called me over to look inside the case. He handed it to me and said plug it in. 'This is Patney's son' (Dad's nickname) he said to the others who were also checking out this beautiful instrument.

What followed was embarrassment for all. From his face and others he'd expected I was a real player like my Dad and was gonna do some wicked licks to show off. I bashed out some power chords and hastily handed it back.
Totally ruined the vibe. Embarassed

Another advantage the blues player has. If you try guitars out in shops, no one pays you much attention - well, everyone plays blues, don't they Laughing

Quote:
Back OT.
I bought some painkillers. Ibuprofen 200mg and Paracetamol 500mg.

Hope you're feeling better this morning Smile

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:58 - 13 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunk beds for the grandkids.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 13 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You let them sleep in the house?

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:32 - 14 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no, not for our house.
I didn't think it needed saying.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:55 - 14 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
I've never really had the yearning for the roar of the greasepaint and the smell of the crowd.

Maybe not for that
But I definitely hear a yearning there.
Cool

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:26 - 14 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Howling Terror wrote:
I've never really had the yearning for the roar of the greasepaint and the smell of the crowd.

Maybe not for that
But I definitely hear a yearning there.
Cool

I don't trust the sentiment behind this comment Laughing

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:10 - 14 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well he's not borrowing *my* make-up.
Mad

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:56 - 16 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some expensive gloves to tackle the declining temperatures.

https://i.postimg.cc/mkk4KgWs/20191016-225204.jpg

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:10 - 17 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Some expensive gloves to tackle the declining temperatures.

https://i.postimg.cc/mkk4KgWs/20191016-225204.jpg

Because you're worth it?

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:34 - 17 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
Because you're worth it?

Because no one seems to make hand-guards for the CBF1000, and the honda "knuckle deflectors" are either discontinued or way overpriced, and badly reviewed at that (attach on the mirror mount on front fairing). Wind chill is terrible.

Didn't really need the Rukka but have been keeping an eye on them for a while so for £138 figured I'd try Goretex and see how it compares to standard W/P linings I've used in the past.

Heated glove because tart. Actually a useable glove with not much bulk. Only worry would be how W/P they are, but time will tell.

All the piggies in my bank have rank away for now. Laughing

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:57 - 17 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1932/5343/files/170818_Eone_0013-2-Edit-2-cut_2048x2048.jpg?v=1530785128

Watch designed for blind people.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 23:00 - 17 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Because no one seems to make hand-guards for the CBF1000

Because Tucano Urbano muffs exists and only dongs buy guards over muffs. Nothing comes close to muffs.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:05 - 17 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:31 - 17 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Because Tucano Urbano muffs exists and only dongs buy guards over muffs. Nothing comes close to muffs.

I've got some cheap "Tech-7" ones coming from M&P so will see if they fit/what they're like, and if not will invest in the above -- heard of them before as they accommodate bar end weight and, as I understand it, and known as the best brand for muffs.

Investment should see me through without the need to buy anything else for a while.

Now how much are Rukka textiles on finance... Laughing

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:56 - 18 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A starter capacitor for a bench grinder - a bench grinder that's now 43 years old and was a rescue from a skip.
It's worked for 9 years in my possession so I can't complain!

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:02 - 20 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary Numan new releases.

Replica's and Pleasure Principle THE FIRST RECORDINGS.

Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 179 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 290, 291, 292 ... 459, 460, 461  Next
Page 291 of 461