Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What was the last thing you bought?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 207, 208, 209 ... 460, 461, 462  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:33 - 03 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:

I'll tell you what a recording engineer would say live or in the studio. Change your strings as it'll keep better tune and sound clearer for the recording.

P.S. How's your grandmother coming along with those eggs? Razz
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:34 - 03 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like a bone or plastic nut over time the saddles get a groove cut into them. Inspect with a magnifier for any burrs.

Your Strat infact any well designed guitar should not be causing you to break strings on a daily basis. A reason why those who play a Les Paul wrap the string over the tailpiece is to reduce the string angle as it is prone to snap by poor design.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:36 - 03 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Howling Terror wrote:

I'll tell you what a recording engineer would say live or in the studio. Change your strings as it'll keep better tune and sound clearer for the recording.

P.S. How's your grandmother coming along with those eggs? Razz

I'm computing that one.

What like the phrase putting your eggs all in one basket?

Nope..still not getting it Nick.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:37 - 03 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done it on every electric I've ever owned, if I'm playing a lot. the Strat has very little wear on it since I bought it brand new (alas). Do you play a lot of string bends Pat?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:39 - 03 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I abuse my Candy Strat...Aha teaching grandma to suck eggs...

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:49 - 03 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do whole tone string bends...I do dive bombs and pulls on the whammy bar. I've played using a screwdriver and 2.6 plectrums, drumsticks, tuning forks (poor Candy she gets mightily abused for that is her role) I've smacked her with a hammer and against the furniture and it is a rare thing for me to snap a string.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:52 - 03 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
I've played using a screwdriver and 2.6 plectrums, drumsticks, tuning forks (poor Candy she gets mightily abused for that is her role) I've smacked her with a hammer and against the furniture

So your technique is spot on then Laughing

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:01 - 04 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned technique as it is a common (let's keep a sense of perspective here I'm not having a go at you my friend) for those starting out (myself most definitely included )to break strings due to how they 'approach' the strings.

Maybe (again I can feel your heckles rise) maybe when you're plucking and bending the e and b you're hands/fingers/pick are at a different angle than say when you're bending the other strings....maybe.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:05 - 04 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My "technique" is to wring the sounds I want out of the damn thing any which way Laughing

P.S. I only started playing guitar about 30 years ago, so you're quite right, I'm very new to it all Laughing

Sorry Pat, just in one of those moods Rolling Eyes You're not winding me up, and I hope the same in the other direction Smile Thumbs Up

Last edited by chickenstrip on 00:10 - 04 Feb 2018; edited 1 time in total

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:07 - 04 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then unlike my 'technique' yours is costly and time consuming.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:12 - 04 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick question. What angle do you come at the strings with when using furniture? Razz

I know, I'm relentless sometimes, aren't I Laughing

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:30 - 04 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My chest of drawers are in for a re-fret (got a drum machine on it) but here's me giving Candy a workout on the banister for demonstration purposes and claves (drumstick in said drawers).

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DVJbFoEWkAE-Eck.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DVJbFoIW4AIHoak.jpg

Smile

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:41 - 04 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a coffee table kind of guy, myself Smile And only Macassar ebony or roasted birdseye maple ones at that Wink

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:42 - 04 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You traditional guys make me puke. Puke

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:50 - 04 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
You traditional guys make me puke. Puke

Tradition for a reason - it's all in the tone. Some people use teak, ferchrissakes! Shocked Folded arms

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:27 - 04 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

a round of drinks

or two

first one was less then a fiver for two and the second was bang on a fiver Laughing Laughing

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:49 - 04 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^J2O? Razz

See, at those prices I'd be inclined to pop into the locals a bit more often.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:54 - 04 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A meal for 9 at the local pub restaurant last night. Was originally going to pay for my lot plus one girlfriend, but when it came to the bill I got out my card and uttered the foolish words 'Don't worry, I'll get this one...'.

It'll be beans on toast in our household for the next week!

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:01 - 05 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

30no 40mm and 30no 50mm Socket face screws. £5.60

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:58 - 05 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKY DVD collector box or the grand total of £4.30 incl .P&P. Pretty much how Jackass started with the soundtrack of the awesome CKY.

Last week I also bought a Front brake seals kits, they really need doing on the ol' ZZR and;

A PS3 pad, my old one is sticky and rubbish from too much COD action while at uni - INB4 lazy students, between my FT MChem and part time job.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:53 - 05 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A set of knee pads.
Spent a couple of hours installing network cabling along skirtings yesterday and am now suffering for it.

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:29 - 05 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A planter, with plants.
Walking around B&Q to have a look at garden furniture and paving slabs. My mrs notices a planter (should be £25) reduced to £10 and including a herb garden setup with basil, rosemary and lavender in there.

Also, 6 patio slabs for a little trail up to the shed, some garden lights, and a BBQ cover after the wind ripped the old one to shreds.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:23 - 05 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Block plane and oilstone, plus electric planer blades, hanging some doors.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:29 - 05 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:
A PS3 pad, my old one is sticky and rubbish from too much COD action while at uni - INB4 lazy students, between my FT MChem and part time job.

I saved my PS3 pad by taking it apart and cleaning the analogue stick(s) as the right one was sticking*. Also saved my 360 controllers by replacing the analogue sticks with cheapos from eBay. Lending the pads to friends and having young relatives use them had worn them out, still have no idea how Confused

*Edit: and replaced the battery which came back to me swollen Shocked

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:51 - 06 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
DrSnoosnoo wrote:

I saved my PS3 pad by taking it apart and cleaning the analogue stick(s) as the right one was sticking*. Also saved my 360 controllers by replacing the analogue sticks with cheapos from eBay. Lending the pads to friends and having young relatives use them had worn them out, still have no idea how Confused

*Edit: and replaced the battery which came back to me swollen Shocked

Now I have a good one, I might be brave and take the other to pieces to try and get two good working ones. My old one constantly walks my characters forward slightly and squeaks n creaks a bit.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 80 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 207, 208, 209 ... 460, 461, 462  Next
Page 208 of 462