Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Speed Four Fuel Consumption Oddity

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

-Monty-
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:00 - 23 Dec 2014    Post subject: Speed Four Fuel Consumption Oddity Reply with quote

This seems to have already resolved itself but thought I would ask on here anyway to see if anyone else had encountered a similar problem.

I've had my Speed Four for a few weeks now and fuel consumption seems to have been pretty reasonable. Whilst out on the bike the other day, the fuel light came on after just 50 miles of riding since the last fill up (brimmed tank). This equates to around 18 MPG with pretty sedate riding. I filled up and rode another 50 miles (roughly) and consumption seems to have gone back to normal. Just to note, I didn't notice the bike running oddly whilst it was returning 18MPG so am a little confused as to what happened.

Any thoughts appreciated Thumbs Up

PS: I am 99% sure that I didn't just reset the clock at the wrong time.
____________________
Present: [Kawasaki ZX7r][Suzuki DRZ 400s]
Past: [Honda PCX 125] [Yamaha RXS 100] [Honda CB 500] [Triumph Speed Four] [Honda ST1100 Pan European - Po-Po Edition]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Copycat73
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:12 - 23 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

same fuel garage ?
____________________
Whatever I post I have no citation and no intention of providing one..
caveat emptor
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

-Monty-
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:22 - 23 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the usual place I go to but I have filled my CB500 there before and not had any problems.
____________________
Present: [Kawasaki ZX7r][Suzuki DRZ 400s]
Past: [Honda PCX 125] [Yamaha RXS 100] [Honda CB 500] [Triumph Speed Four] [Honda ST1100 Pan European - Po-Po Edition]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

BTTD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:25 - 23 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the tank need a full fill up? i.e. Is the fuel light fckn with you?
Only time my Speed Triple used a lot of fuel was when the plastic tank connectors leaked. It was accompanied by a strong smell of petrol in the garage each morning, and didn't correct itself. Needed new tank connectors.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

-Monty-
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:47 - 23 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
Did the tank need a full fill up? i.e. Is the fuel light fckn with you?
Only time my Speed Triple used a lot of fuel was when the plastic tank connectors leaked. It was accompanied by a strong smell of petrol in the garage each morning, and didn't correct itself. Needed new tank connectors.


I initially thought the light was playing up until I had a look in the tank. I took 12 litres of fuel to fill it back up.

And pretty sure there was no leak. No smell of petrol and nothing on the garage floor either.
____________________
Present: [Kawasaki ZX7r][Suzuki DRZ 400s]
Past: [Honda PCX 125] [Yamaha RXS 100] [Honda CB 500] [Triumph Speed Four] [Honda ST1100 Pan European - Po-Po Edition]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

monkeybiker
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Sep 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:35 - 24 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think someone could have stolen petrol from the tank? Has it been parked up anywhere?

I would think even on a trackday you would get more than 18mpg.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

-Monty-
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:11 - 24 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, wouldn't be that. The bike is kept in the garage in our back garden. If someone had gone to the effort of going over the fence and then breaking into the garage then they probably would have stolen the bike rather than just some fuel.
____________________
Present: [Kawasaki ZX7r][Suzuki DRZ 400s]
Past: [Honda PCX 125] [Yamaha RXS 100] [Honda CB 500] [Triumph Speed Four] [Honda ST1100 Pan European - Po-Po Edition]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Copycat73
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:16 - 24 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Monty- wrote:
Not the usual place I go to but I have filled my CB500 there before and not had any problems.


perhaps a "bad fill" short measure or inferior quality...
avoid said fillin station and see how it goes. Thumbs Up
____________________
Whatever I post I have no citation and no intention of providing one..
caveat emptor
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 291 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.6 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 55.93 Kb