Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

115-130bhp Bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Aspire
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:04 - 22 Dec 2014    Post subject: 115-130bhp Bike Reply with quote

Got a speed four at the mo, its fast enough etc except just want some more grunt. The figure stated isn't set in stone just a guestimate I suppose.

I am thinking 929 blade with straight bars. My rational is it should have around 120bhp, will be a decent step up but not ott like 150+bhp. It should have the same characteristics as my S4 just a bit more grunt.

I have thought about Tuono & Gen 1 Fazer both seem good options to.

My S4 has rentals and its comfy, only little gripe is foot pegs are a little high causing discomfort but nothing too bad.

Budget would be about £2-2.5k

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:14 - 22 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL1000S, spend the remaining 1k on track days.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:20 - 22 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't go 929, crappy DFi. 954 or anything else would be better choice. Thumbs Up

EDIT: Get a sports bike, 600cc, 750cc, 1000cc, that will be like sitting on a rocket in comparison with that triumph you've got. Sports engines are tuned differently. If that will feel slow, get shorter final drive gear ratio, then get back here and tell us about your brown code moment. Thumbs Up

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 00:35 - 22 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSXR750, RSV Mille.

wristjob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:49 - 22 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want straight bars then fz1 or fazer if you want some fairing.
quoted power is more than you say you want but in real life they do 600cc torque under 8k rpm (ok its a bit more but it feels like nothing)then its all smash and grab after that.
oh and the second hand price has just crashed so cheap as chips

BigDan1190
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 01:27 - 22 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're going for the wrong engine if you want more grunt, have you tried the speed triple instead of the speed four? 128bhp, but more torque than the S4.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:40 - 22 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed triple?

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:31 - 22 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your current speed four is a good all rounder and nice handler too.

Your logic is flawed however in trying to set yourself a bhp limit/range and then try to find bikes to fit your self imposed criteria/limitations.

An 80bhp bike, 115bhp, 150bhp,200bhp bike will all be awesome and fun if you pick the right bikes. Your trying to reduce the number of bikes available to you to narrow down your choice, based on a silly little bhp critera, when you should be judging potential bikes for how awesome they are for your needs, not capacity or how many horses live in the engine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Iain.
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 10:24 - 22 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisty wrote:

Do eet.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:08 - 22 Dec 2014    Post subject: Re: 115-130bhp Bike Reply with quote

Aspire wrote:
grunt

What do you mean by that?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:45 - 22 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iain. wrote:
Fisty wrote:

Do eet.

Yep. Fisty is bang on, you'll have fun on that and maybe even die. Mr. Green Bit of fun init.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:56 - 22 Dec 2014    Post subject: Re: 115-130bhp Bike Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Aspire wrote:
grunt

What do you mean by that?

really ?... Thinking

circles I mix in use it as a colloquialism referring to the
Torque of a machine.

Aspire
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:39 - 22 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Your current speed four is a good all rounder and nice handler too.

Your logic is flawed however in trying to set yourself a bhp limit/range and then try to find bikes to fit your self imposed criteria/limitations.

An 80bhp bike, 115bhp, 150bhp,200bhp bike will all be awesome and fun if you pick the right bikes. Your trying to reduce the number of bikes available to you to narrow down your choice, based on a silly little bhp critera, when you should be judging potential bikes for how awesome they are for your needs, not capacity or how many horses live in the engine.

I agree the S4 is a brilliant bike. Yeah kinda agree on the logic bit! should of said something with more torque thats still light and not ott in the power department.

My only gripe with the S4 is it wants to be spanked everywhere which is a good characteristic but sometimes I just want to be able to roll on from 5k and glide by without having it up past 8-10k for decent go.

Or am I just changing for the sake of it?!?! Feck knows....

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 12:48 - 22 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has said do look to the horses.

Gearing and torque is what it is about.

I also have a Speed Four and a TDM900,

As standard the TDM has 88 (claimed) bhp the S4 98.

Both my bikes have air filters cans and remaps. however the S4 has ~18k miles the TDM 75k.

It's safe to say the TDM is at least 10BHP down. However it is much more Grunty, it has 90nm of torque compared to the S4's 70nm, it makes all it power much lower in the revs than the Speed Four and as such feels faster for day to day riding.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:54 - 22 Dec 2014    Post subject: Re: 115-130bhp Bike Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
really ?... Thinking

I'd understand it as low down / mid range torque, but OP started off by talking about peak power and IL4s.

Which is why I asked.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:06 - 22 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just stick to what I (think I) know, and that's the Fazers. If it's lower rev stomp you want, go for the earlier FZS1000. And it still has enough of a kick higher up to keep you entertained when you feel the need. Downsides: heavier, less flickable, standard rear shock is crap (but a good replacement transforms the bike), EXUP valve servicing (although I've had no problems). A brilliant and capable all-rounder nevertheless.

FZ1 is more sports orientated, lighter but revvier, more modern spec. I do know of one that will fit your budget (just) but the suspension will possibly require a rethink on this particular one, due to previous owner mods. Mostly, outside of your budget though, but good value can still be had. Not so comfortable for long distance work, although plenty of folk manage just fine.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:06 - 22 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't fussed by the TL1000S I rode, and it's pretty much the polar opposite of an S4 characteristic wise.

What about something like a Z1000...?

Nick 50
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:59 - 22 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your budget you should be able to get a pretty decent 03/04 Tuono.

I had one and they are an absolutely cracking bike, you wouldn't be disappointed and they sound awesome with a decent can on.

Thumbs Up

bikertomm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:20 - 22 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

2004 636 would be my choice!

Aspire
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:22 - 22 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

z1000 is a good mention!

636 is another but can't do the riding position (2 herniated discs)

TBH its Tuono or blade (straight bars) in my head. Just need to find a friend who has one who we let me have a go Wink

andys675
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:55 - 22 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

1050, speed, tiger or sprint

don't go for 955, 1050's have mikuni injection and japanese ecu, 955's have french crap ecu same as renault

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:38 - 22 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silly logic again IMO, thinking that taking a CBR929RR and removing fairing and putting on straight bars will make for the ideal riding position and ideal bike.

You should be able to get a std bike that has the kind of riding position you like/want feel comfy with, and then mod it to suit your taste if required. Trying to make a fully faired sportsbike more comfortable and usable by buggering around with ripping bits off and fitting different bars, is only 1/2 a job and doesn't change either the compromised nature of sports bikes, or the rest of riding position, in terms of footpeg height, knee to tank distance, reach and position of the footrests front/back along the bike.

Add to all this when you remove the fairing on a sportsbike, there's a lot of other mods needed to make it more useful, a new lighting solution, some way to tidy up/hide the wiring/clocks etc. Then you'll want lower gearing as top speed will be less and drag will be increased. If it's a Ram-air bike you need to do something with this, as ripping out the ram-air ductwork will really fuck up the fuelling etc.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:05 - 23 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try riding the bike you have with the throttle wide open all the time. You'll probably find it has enough horsepower, you're just not using it properly.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:10 - 23 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Try riding the bike you have with the throttle wide open all the time. You'll probably find it has enough horsepower, you're just not using it properly.

Somebody said about most people not using full throttle most of the time even though they probably thought they had done, in another thread. So last Saturday, in the interests of research for BCF, I tried it a few times, making sure that little ol twist grip was wide open to the stop. My report follows:

Shocked

In conclusion, too many attempts at this on the road will probably be bad for your health.

HTH Thumbs Up
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:14 - 23 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want a new bike for the sake of it, therefore get whatever it is that takes your fancy rather than telling yourself that you want something with more "grunt".

Or, down gearing your S4 might give you the characteristics that you're wanting.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 128 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2