Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Royal Mail Signed For + DVLA = No signature for delivery

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:32 - 08 Jan 2015    Post subject: Royal Mail Signed For + DVLA = No signature for delivery Reply with quote

I sent some documents for numberplate retention via Royal Mail Signed For to the DVLA on the 29th December 2014.

I checked the tracking ref number yesterday (7th January 2015), still not delivered. I started to panic.

I received response from the DVLA today (8th January 2015) - meaning they received my documents and request.

I re-checked tracking number on the royal mail site - still not updated as delivered.

Ho-lee-sheet. The DVLA are accepting Royal Mail Signed For letters AND NOT ACTUALLY SIGNING FOR THEM. Can they fuck up even more? How do we know our V5's that we send recorded are even being delivered if we can't even track it when we do send things recorded Confused

If they don't sign for it, and it gets lost in their offices, they can just blame royal mail for not delivering? Very suspicious.

If anyone wants to check: https://www3.royalmail.com/track-your-item

Ref number KF707287069GB

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:38 - 08 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh. I sent a change of keeper and Royal Fail recorded it as having being signed for a week or more after I had the acknowledgement back from DVLA.

Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence...

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:40 - 08 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping you'd show up, Borgy. Not good eh? Evil or Very Mad

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:44 - 08 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tracking on Royal Mails website will update at some point. Thumbs Up

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:47 - 08 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it does, fantastic - but it's late.

Is it too much to expect up-to-date delivery status now that we're in the year of hover-boards? Razz

If it doesn't update.. well Laughing

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 23:54 - 08 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having worked in the business for some time, i can tell you if you want something sent recorded, go special delivery.

Signed for's are very rarely actually signed for.

Big old Royal Fail.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:55 - 08 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past I've found that phoning RM to check if something has been delivered gets a more up to date answer than the website provides. This does however, require speaking with an actual person rather than the automated system.

https://www.royalmail.com/personal/help-and-support/track-and-trace-isnt-accepting-my-reference-number/

Dat page has the phone number you'll require. Thumbs Up

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:07 - 09 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dvla probably have hundreds of letters a day they can't sign for each one
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tungtvann
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:30 - 09 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:

DVLA probably have hundreds of letters a day, they can't keep track of them all...

Thus we have documents lost and it ends up being OUR problem.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 04:59 - 09 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:

Should be. It OUGHT to be, no sig, no delivery. If nobody signs for the delivery, they don't get the delivery and it is returned to the sender.

if they want to put the onus on the sender to ensure their correspondance is dcelivered (which they legally now have in some circumstances) then they need to be prepared to verify that delivery has taken place.

I, for one, would LOVE to see what a magistrates court made of a defense based on a DVLA refusal to sign for delivery a SORN decalration.

FriendlyEllis
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 07:22 - 09 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a signed for train ticket, it was £490 delivered the other day whilst I was out.

On the envelope it said in Biro ,"I signed for this, hope that's OK, Postie".

monkeybiker
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:09 - 09 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds more like a Royal Mail cock up than DVLA. They should get a signature before handing over the package.

Might just them being slow to update there website.

monkeybiker
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:11 - 09 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

FriendlyEllis wrote:
I had a signed for train ticket, it was £490 delivered the other day whilst I was out.

On the envelope it said in Biro ,"I signed for this, hope that's OK, Postie".

That really pisses me off. They think they are doing you a favour!!!

I would rather go pick up the parcel from the post office and it be safe.

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:10 - 09 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Postie signs for all mine and I am eternally grateful (only if they fit through letter box). Getting to our local sorting office is a bunch of arse. They closed the lovely convenient one for me so it could be trashed in a monumental rave and have moved over to probably the busiest (traffic wise) areas of The Cronx.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:16 - 09 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad bought a laptop out of a catalogue, when it was delivered the courier forgot to get a signature.... they delivered another laptop a few days later because of the lack of signature.... so it can't always be bad eh?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:40 - 09 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's bad in this case because DVLA's position (possibly confirmed by an Englandshire Crown Court precedent) is that if you can't prove that it was delivered, then you're a smooth criminal.
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 13:25 - 09 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
It's bad in this case because DVLA's position (possibly confirmed by an Englandshire Crown Court precedent) is that if you can't prove that it was delivered, then you're a smooth criminal.

No. The UK is a signatory to the Universal Union Act and as such the DVLA cannot exceed their authority as to do so would place them higher than Parliament which contrary to their beliefs they are not.

Took me a while to find this and haven't bothered to check for updates but I suspect a Judge would think long and hard before disregarding an Act to which the UK had agreed over many decades. In fact an act that the UK had agreed and inserted exclusions over this very matter.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:23 - 09 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worchester Crown Court, August 2012 (apparently): Interpretations Act defence rejected, appeal dismissed, costs awarded against appellant.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 14:43 - 09 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Bet they didn't quote UPU.

I have told people many times that the interpretations act runs in conjunction with the UPU.

<edit>Just read the case and it is irrelevant. If the person had taken it further or in fact actually quoted the whole of the section they would more than likely have won.</edit>

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:04 - 09 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, but they didn't. DVLA only need to win once at each level.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 102 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1