Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Outdoor Bike storage

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

malb
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 04 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:37 - 02 Aug 2004    Post subject: Outdoor Bike storage Reply with quote

I'm just starting to get into biking, and i'm hoping to get my first bike a hyosung GT comet 125cc in a few weeks.

unfortunatly I don't have a garage to keep it in. So here is the question will the bike be ok outside if I buy a heavy duty cover or something. People often remark on the build quality of korean bikes, and I'd like advice on whether it will rust or Seize.

cheers
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tatters
Exxon Valdez



Joined: 05 Jan 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:55 - 02 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

as long as its kept cover and dry it should be ok most modern bikes are made of Aluminium and that does rust but corrosion can occur l own a ZZR250 what was kepped under a cover out side for 9 years by its last owner and only the exposed aluminium like levers, pedals, yoke, wheels had some corroisn but it came off with some scrubbing.


just keep it clean/dry/and chain oiled and if should be fine
____________________
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650,KZ750 Present:G650XC,C12,CRF450X,1190ADV
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

malb
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 04 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:35 - 02 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, I was considering buying a shed or something like that to keep it in. But I'm not sure if the bike would fit through the door for a start, plus the extra expense. I suppose it would be better than just a <a href="https://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=cover&v=56">cover</a>, alternatively I could use WD40 or something to scrub it off.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wave2k
G's Stalker



Joined: 06 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:57 - 02 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

buy a cheap plastic gazebo thingy, it will be it dry and u can do work on it when its raining, just be sure to lock it up.
____________________
Ducati 1299 Panigale
2009 Corvette C6 z51
RS125->CBR400->RXS100->GSXR750K2->Ducati749S->CBR600RR5->TL1000R->DRz400->RSVR1000->Honda VTR SP1->CBR400->GSXR1000K6->Honda H100->CBR600RR3->Ducati1299


Last edited by Wave2k on 22:58 - 02 Aug 2004; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:58 - 02 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've room for a shed have a look at a bikesafe. There's 3 sizes and the middle one, the 250, will fit yours and something bigger when you move on/up. Goes for about £600, which you can pay for a decent size shed. Made of metal and gets approval from insurance companies (classed as secure garage).

Info on https://www.bikesafe.info

No, I don't work/sell them. I've just got the info to hand to give to a friend who's moving house and is in the same boat as you Very Happy

HTH Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dibbster
Nearly there...



Joined: 15 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:29 - 02 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to leave it outside make sure it has plenty of locks on it, maybe even fasten it to the wall or use a ground anchor.
____________________
Suzuki RF 600 - The two wheeled Testarossa (Deceased)
Suzuki GSXR - Now stops on a sixpence; SBK3's Thumbs Up
www.bikepics.com/members/dibbster
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:34 - 02 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use THIS STUFF. Spray it all over when you get back from a ride. Works a treat.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

rsooty
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 16 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:59 - 02 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the bike is kept in good condition and dry there should be no trouble. If it is kept in a shed thats an added bonus as it prevents anybody from deciding to vandalise it. (Thats if you live in an area where it happens.)

Sooty
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:01 - 03 Aug 2004    Post subject: Re: Outdoor Bike storage Reply with quote

malb wrote:
People often remark on the build quality of korean bikes, and I'd like advice on whether it will rust or Seize.

cheers


Can't be any worse than suzukis Wink
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

malb
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 04 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:49 - 03 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that there is really any chance of anyone stealing it. They would have to carry it over my car which is kept in the driveway. There is an 8ft hedge at the back, and sides, and a wood behind that.

So if someone does steal it they deserve it....

That bikesafe thing sounds good, but a little expensive I think.

cheers for the help everyone... I think so long as I get a good cover and look after it well I should be ok.

The other thing I've got to watch is that my mother is a childminder and the children might burn themselves on the exhaust!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:11 - 03 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remembered there was something I nearly got for myself but then circumstances changed. It was like a fixed tent that folded over the bike. Think it was at https://www.bikebarn.co.uk.

HTH Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

malb
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 04 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:36 - 03 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like most insurance companies will only drop their quotes if the storage place is brick built.

However I got a quote from Bennetts, it was £333 for the Hyosung Comet GT 125cc if it is garaged or £350 if kept on the driveway.

Which seems quite reasonable to me.. what do you think?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JodieWodie
Reflective Banana



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:23 - 03 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI...
My insurance is with Bennetts....
it is £140 for the year.
I am in my 30's though (just) so that may add to the low cost.

I don't have a garage...CG125 is kept in the back garden...locked to a ground anchor..with an additional textile heavy duty chain through the wheel and round the body too.

I have a breathable, soft-lined raincover....to both protect bike and keep prying eyes away Shocked
____________________
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

wisebeuy
Nova Slayer



Joined: 02 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:34 - 04 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, its quite funny to hear you talk about locking the bike to the ground, seems odd to me, the key of mine never leaves the ignition switch.

I do live on an island with 120 people tho and the only way to escape is via boat!

If I have to store my bike outside for a long period, then I use the black silage bags, as these are airtight and nothing is better at preventing corrosion.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Big Pete
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 18 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:35 - 04 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

malb wrote:
I don't think that there is really any chance of anyone stealing it. They would have to carry it over my car which is kept in the driveway. There is an 8ft hedge at the back, and sides, and a wood behind that.



Believe me, if they want it that lot will barely slow them down, I know of a CBR1000 stolen from a locked garage where the door couldn`t be opened until the car was moved, the bike was locked to a floor anchor and the front end was out for a seal job. Shocked Mad
____________________
Trust me, I`m an engineer
GarageOfPower.co.uk
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

malb
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 04 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:02 - 04 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn that sounds bad Big Pete.

So how much is a ground anchor... I take it that I have to concrete a hook to the ground or something.

Basically what I have is a slabbed area at the back of my garage that is at the back of my house. I don't think my dad would mind moving things about a bit, so long as there is not too much work involved.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:02 - 05 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=262546#262546
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 61 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.64 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 97.47 Kb