Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Mash motorcycles?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MarkJF
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:38 - 18 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I was looking for info on the larger Mash bikes after returning form Barcelona yesterday. Great to read all this thread!

Prior, I'd looked at the HMC/Herald 250's, I want a commuter in a particular style, but tbh after visiting a dealer in Leeds I'd put the issue on the back burner as the bikes were just a tad physically small for me.

Day one in BCN and I saw the Mash "500", it stood out a mile in a row of 100's of scooters. I had a good look and it appeared just what I was looking for. Never seen one before in my life, then I saw another, then another, then another 125's, 250's, 500's and some "Mashette" customs.

These bikes are being used as commuters, day in day out, the post office complex on Via Laietana had more than 10 Mash bikes outside it every day that I was there. It's worker word of mouth and they are not going to buy unreliable commuting machines........

Doink
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:32 - 18 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJF wrote:
Hi, I was looking for info on the larger Mash bikes after returning form Barcelona yesterday. Great to read all this thread!

Prior, I'd looked at the HMC/Herald 250's, I want a commuter in a particular style, but tbh after visiting a dealer in Leeds I'd put the issue on the back burner as the bikes were just a tad physically small for me.

Day one in BCN and I saw the Mash "500", it stood out a mile in a row of 100's of scooters. I had a good look and it appeared just what I was looking for. Never seen one before in my life, then I saw another, then another, then another 125's, 250's, 500's and some "Mashette" customs.

These bikes are being used as commuters, day in day out, the post office complex on Via Laietana had more than 10 Mash bikes outside it every day that I was there. It's worker word of mouth and they are not going to buy unreliable commuting machines........

So how long have you worked for/been a distributor for Mash motorcycles then?

MarkJF
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:02 - 19 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doink wrote:

So how long have you worked for/been a distributor for Mash motorcycles then?

My post was genuine, I googled on "Mash Motorbike Reviews" on my return and this thread came up, it appears to be the only one with owner views or with a decent discussion. Unless you can point me to another one?

I've not said that they are good, bad or ok, I don't know, not having ridden one but my observation though was two fold. There are a lot of Mash bikes in BCN, and, these are ridden by folk (in general) without cars or other bikes, they are simply commuter workhorses and as such cannot afford to be unreliable.

An SR400, but physically larger and £1500 less would be my first choice, I also like the Kwacker W650/800 too but I can't afford one. So, that' the sort of bike I want but not at Jap prices and I'd like others to be the first Mash buyers as I too have Chinese=poor reliability/finish ingrained in my thoughts, despite having no actual experience of them.

FYI My current ride is a 1962 Vespa Gran Lusso that I don't want to commute on as it's rising in value faster than cash in the bank! Ive owned 20+ bikes in my time from a CG125 to an XJR1200 but the most fun I ever had was with a Dominator 650, I want that sort of size/power ratio again, a fun bike.

BTW one of these has been bought my my pal who teaches English in Thailand, he paid 120000 baht, about £2400 brand new.

https://www.motorcycle.in.th/article.php/Stallion-Centaur-CT400_400cc-Cafe-Racerhttps://www.motorcycle.in.th/images/articles/Stallion-Centaur-CT400_400cc-Cafe-Racer_1.jpg

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:41 - 19 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJF wrote:
Chinese=poor reliability/finish ingrained in my thoughts, despite having no actual experience of them.

They can make decent bikes. The well regarded YBR125, for example, is made in China, from Chinese parts, by real live actual Chinese people.

It's more a question of whether they want to keep the quality up, and there's also some concern over the consistency of the materials that they use. Even if the manufacturer is doing a good job, they might get a batch of monkey metal in. This is the country where baby formula manufacturers have poisoned babies just to increase quarterly profits - repeatedly.

So it's definitely a good idea to let someone else take the gamble on any new bike. That's a bit of a Catch-22, but few people can afford to flip a coin on a £4K stake.

MarkJF
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:25 - 19 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

They can make decent bikes. The well regarded YBR125, for example, is made in China, from Chinese parts, by real live actual Chinese people.

It's more a question of whether they want to keep the quality up, and there's also some concern over the consistency of the materials that they use. Even if the manufacturer is doing a good job, they might get a batch of monkey metal in. This is the country where baby formula manufacturers have poisoned babies just to increase quarterly profits - repeatedly.

So it's definitely a good idea to let someone else take the gamble on any new bike. That's a bit of a Catch-22, but few people can afford to flip a coin on a £4K stake.

Yes, I don't want a new one as it'll be pressed into commuting, I want others to take the depreciation hit whilst also providing me with real life ownership information at the same time! But it's the same for HMC/Herald/Sinnis, there is practically no such information on the net.

BTW the coolest bike in BCN were the Montessa's I saw, I thought I was seeing the same one but there are loads of these things still going. Coolio!

https://www.dennishollingsworth.us/archives/image/Montesa-Comando-175.gif

6r4h4m
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:07 - 21 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this thread really useful. Although having read it I'm still umming and ahhing about whether to put the 400 on my list of shiny new things to look at.

As a small update, I spotted this this article about Euro4 compliant versions coming out around now: https://www.lerepairedesmotards.com/actualites/2016/actu_160908-motos-mash-euro4.php

…it's in French but anyway what caught my attention was this really scathing review, which I'll translate badly:

Vincent le Crapeau wrote:

Best avoid Mash if you want to stay alive, if you want a bike that's going to last budget €500 for changing the screws and the tyres (vital, those tyres are dangerous!!!) plus fun and games with hundreds of bulbs as you'll be changing those regularly.

9 months with a mash. In the first 80km I lost the rear light as the screws fell out.

Changed the clocks at 100km, the needle stopped working.

At 150km the indicators took 20 seconds to come on - change of central unit.

The original tyres need changing right from the start, they slide so much on both wet and dry (dropped at 18kph in a minor bend with no gravel)

sold at 3000km and well pleased to be rid of it, to get myself a big Jap lump. felt like it could blow up in my hands at any moment.

changed at the lights at least 4 times (including the indicators). in 3000km that's a lot!

it was a new 2015 mash 125 seventy-five… in 10,500 km with my er-6 I haven't even changed an indicator…
V

Now in fairness, he's talking about a 125 and I reckon the unwary rider could say the same about many 125s. E.g. My Kymco's frankly scary original front tyre is the first thing I changed, and I'm forever checking and re-checking the bolts as they're prone to rattling out. Quite how 'V' has racked up €500 I don't know, it kinda sounds like someone saw him coming, and his tale of woe at 18kph could be as much down to his riding as the rubber. And I find his lack of punctuation disturbing.

Still, kinda an off-putting story. I notice Mash's UK website is down today as well. Any further updates from Mash riders? Still worth a look? Cheers!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:47 - 21 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly wouldn't read anything into that. Mash will be sourcing their bikes from whichever manufacturer is cheapest, and there's a lot more competition (and therefore racing to the bottom) in the 125 sector.

Mash have just announced a 400 cafe racer with actual rearsets (gasps from stinkwheel) and significantly it appears to be Euro 4 and has ABS already fitted. That's fairly reassuring, given the amount of erring and umming coming from other importers.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/first-rides-tests/2016/october/mash-tt40-first-ride/

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:00 - 21 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Yeah

The Mash 400, is a Shineray built bike, as is the WK400 Trail bike as well, not sure who manufactures the 125's. I'm still riding mine, and enjoying every minute of it, as it's dry, I took a scenic route home on mine, and called in at the cafe at quatford for a chip butty, before bumping into someone (not literally) when I was picking up some wild bird seed, who was genuinely impressed with my Mash, to the point where he's going to arrange a test ride at a dealer Smile

Piercee100
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:09 - 21 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose the big difference between buying a Chinese bike here and over in Barcelona would be the weather. Look how many classic cars come out of places like Malta where the weather is dryer. British weather is generally full of moisture that just loves to eat cheap Chinese steel.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:13 - 21 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, mine hasn't turned to dust yet, and in all honesty, the worst bike I had for corrosion issues was my Triumph America. Like anything though, you look after them, no reason why they shouldn't last fine, my chinese bikes have, even those that have been stored outside for years.
Anyhow, over here it's not so much the moisture that really causes problems, it's the very corrosive road salt !!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:49 - 21 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piercee100 wrote:
cheap Chinese steel.

Not necessary bad steel though, and better than Indian.

nitrosurf
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:16 - 22 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worrying how much of this cheap metal makes its way into not only Chinese domestic products but also 'premium' products from other parts of the world. With the advanced production methods available these days it shouldn't really happen, but big business = margins and unless you're a low volume business that relies on a reputation for quality, those margins are what drives a lot of important decisions. This leads to the use of less than ideal materials. Unfortunately folks people like a lot of us on this forum seem to be in the minority; discerning consumers that enjoy gaining knowledge of the things they buy, and want critical parts to be made of quality materials. Lots of consumers seem to be in either camp "I don't care what it's made of as long as it's cheap" or camp "I don't care what it's made of as long as people think I'm rich/cool".

If they use reasonable metals I'm quite interested in the big enduro, one of the lads posted in the pictures section and it looked ace. It'll be interesting to see how these roadsters look after ten years or so. Do they do a Mash style frame with the 650 twin engine? Mash Monster anyone?

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:38 - 22 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

No

Shineray don't do a 650, however, CFMoto have the CF650MT about to be released in China, hopefully they'll release it in the west as well. Quite similar to the Versys, although it's actually designed by Kiska https://www.kiska.com/ (KTM).

Also, don't kid yourself that cheap chinese steel is nececsarily bad, or any worse than any other country's steel. A local organisation, where my partner works, that deal in very high security systems, moved over to Chinese steel, in a small way, to trial it a while ago, and have now moved over to it entirely due to both cost & quality.

Sable
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:28 - 22 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the review, the 125s are Quingi built. Same issues as the Sinnis, Herald and mash.

I'll agree to things falling apart if the bikes not checked properly. Happened to my Retrostar.

With regards to the bulbs, that's a common complaint too, but the established fix is to replace with Led or high quality bulbs. Anything less gets shaken to murder death.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:19 - 22 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Can't comment on the 125's, as I've never owned a Quingi bike, but teh 400, is quite a smooth running bike, and, thus far not had to replace any lights, and the headlight is strong enough to use in the dark.

Candel
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 08:31 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now this 400s are sold in Poland, under Romet brand. Romet is an old Polish brand famous for making bikes. Now they also brand PRC made motorcycles, scooters etc.. But back to the topic: ROMET 400 is EURO 4 compatible, with ABS, and optional side car. Neat. Price? ~16,000 PLN and now 1£ is ~4.8 PLN. Maby it's worthwhile.
To cleat things out: I'm from Poland (and IN Poland), and I was just looking for opinions on this model for myself. This topic has proven very useful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:35 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've had mine for about 15/16 months, and I'm still really happy with it. My only issue is that the stock battery isn't particularly good, but i have a replacement ready for when I do eventually need to replace it.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:37 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike show yesterday and finally got to see a Mash up close.

What can I say? Well, I'm impressed. The quality is there, in fact it would be hard to justify another 2.5 big ones for the Ducati Scrambler Sixty2 over the Mash as it doesn't feel that much better in terms of quality.

Also, stick it against something like the Herald range and it looks positively upmarket.

I'd buy one - if one pops up second hand I almost certainly will.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:19 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mash-TT40-400cc-/192149160813?hash=item2cbcfb836d:g:aioAAOSwA29Y5N95

For sale in Scousepool. Think I'd have a Pre-reg SV650 for the £250 more.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:35 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen one of those, up close, look nice. When it's time to upgrade my Mash 400 Roadstar, I'll probably go for the green Euro 4 version ..

https://www.mashmotorcycles.co.uk/model/roadstar/roadstar-highland-green

On a side note, my daughter really likes the Mash 50 !

https://www.mashmotorcycles.co.uk/model/roadstar/roadstar-50

Although, she's now thinking about a Zontes Tiger 50

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zontes-Tiger-50cc-BRAND-NEW-LEARNER-LEGAL-GEARED-MOTORCYCLE-/222090722661

She's not even 16 yet, but she's had quite a decent go on a scooter, and wants to practice with a geared bike now, ready for when she does her cbt !!

Well, my Mash 400 still looking fresh, and it's now 20 months old, and shock/horror, it's not turned to dust !!

https://tony-home.no-ip.org/bikes/MASH_XY-400_ROADSTAR_2015_20170404_Doolittles.jpg

I finally got round to replacing the battery, which was definitely it's week spot.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:39 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
I've seen one of those, up close, look nice. When it's time to upgrade my Mash 400 Roadstar, I'll probably go for the green Euro 4 version ..

https://www.mashmotorcycles.co.uk/model/roadstar/roadstar-highland-green

Hmm, it does indeed look like some manufacturers have decided that ABS on one wheel is enough to satisfy the Eurobollocks.

Surprisingly though, Royal Enfield have put a disc on the rear. Thinking

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:25 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look, it also has modified exhaust downpipes, from the one I have, amongst other subtle differences, not euro 4 related, well, at least on appearance don't appear to be Euro 4 related, but who knows !!

Another bike I'd consider, the CF650TR-G, is apparently not Euro 4 compliant because the headlight it too big !!

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:56 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

On a side note, my daughter really likes the Mash 50 !

Well, my Mash 400 still looking fresh, and it's now 20 months old, and shock/horror, it's not turned to dust !!

https://tony-home.no-ip.org/bikes/MASH_XY-400_ROADSTAR_2015_20170404_Doolittles.jpg

Firstly, I was going to make the obligatory 16 year old daughter jokes and pics etc But instead, will say its pretty cool for a kid to share any interest with their parents and for it to be 2 wheels is awesome.

Secondly, I respectfully salute anyone who gets the deep blue of the sky reflected in their chrome mudguard and can use the reverse of their mirrors as reflective telescopes showing scenery miles in the distance.

A suitable amount of WD40 has been used, lovely bike boss Cool

Petemate
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:06 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Well, I've had mine for about 15/16 months, and I'm still really happy with it. My only issue is that the stock battery isn't particularly good, but i have a replacement ready for when I do eventually need to replace it.

Having read this thread all the way through, I am interested in what you think of the tyres that the bike came with, and see no mention of them. I have read in many forums that some bikes (Chinese for example?) come with tyres that are terrible in the wet and owners replace them pretty sharpish!
Your posts are very informtive Tony, and it looks like you are really enjoying the Mash and it seems to compare favourably with the other bikes in your stable. (you lucky devil)

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:53 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete

It's still on the stock tyres that it came with, I've had no issues with grip, and so haven't really felt the need to replace them.

Yes I do like riding the Mash, but, having said that, I do like riding my other bikes as well Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 355 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 8 of 13