Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Mash motorcycles?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:12 - 07 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what you need. I had the Lifan LF250B, the Virago 250 copybike. Reasonable enough bike, CMPO had some parts, but then one of the downpipes rotted out and they only had full systems.

Sod me if I could find a replacement in the UK, I had to order direct from China. When I finally got it, I took the system off and the collector box crumbled to pieces in my hands.

At that point it just wasn't worth spending to repair it and off it went as a non-runner.

Sad story, not too many conclusions to draw, but it's made me a bit wary about spending more than sweetie money on a bike that may not have parts supply at the time when I'm likely to actually need it.

I might buy your Mash in a couple of years, mind, but to be honest, mate, it's Chinky crap, mate, I can't offer much, mate. Wink

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:20 - 07 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi for the Lifan LF250, and for the matter, the LF400 I had, there was always the option of parts that fit the Yamaha versions, the XVS250 in your case, or the XV535 in mine, as they are that close a clone of them.

As I said, never had an issue with parts, but then again, didn't really have any issues with corrosion in general.

JonE
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:26 - 07 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the way it looks but then I have got a hankering for that style of bike at the moment and think I'll try and save up for a decent second hand Enfield.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:30 - 07 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had exhaust issues on my old JL250-5. Ended up giving a friendly welder a crap ton of cider to sort out the downpipes. Had I not known a friendly welder in order to replace the downpipes I would have been stuck buying the entire system at over £200 or shipping one from China at similar cost (£50 for the system, about £120 to ship).

I really like the look of that Mash, though as I've said before I'd be put off by the fact I can't easily order parts from the comfort of my own chair. For me that is a deal breaker with any bike.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:32 - 07 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Yeah

I have an Enfield 350 Bullet. Generally reliable, but somewhat less refined than the Mash, do really like it though, but it certainly has it's moments !!

Don't forget, if you go for a new Enfield, only the 500 is EFI'd, which means, it'll be in the higher tax bracket.

Cheers

Tony

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:36 - 07 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I didn't have my JL-250 long enough for the downpipes to rust, I only had it for just over 4 years, before it was stolen and burnt out.

But, in that 4 years, running it in the crappy winter weather, I didn't even have any pitting on the chrome. I did however, keep it clean, and kept it covered with either ACF-50 or WD40

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:49 - 07 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlkxcC79LA8 Thumbs Up Smile

It does look alright, well the clocks are terrible. If it has got a Honda XBR engine, then I'd give it a go.

and also....

though it was a crap episode full of anti motorbike sentiment, probably an Alan Alda directed episode?

https://ohiovalleybsaownersclub.com/Site/media/kunena/attachments/45/10104_547005885329120_1074512526_n.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:22 - 07 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Hi for the Lifan LF250, and for the matter, the LF400 I had, there was always the option of parts that fit the Yamaha versions

Yup, it was a "Yamaha" part that I found. To be honest, by that time I was on to my GPz or back to my HN for funs, the Lifan was kicked into a corner and left to rot (further). The metal on both the downpipe section that went and the collector box was very thin, it was pretty much guaranteed to go.

A bike with an exposed pipe would be much easier to keep an eye on and nip any pitting in the bud. I am Mash-curious, but my concern remains what happens a few years down the line - you can't buy those Lifan 250s or 400s these days, it would be optimistic to assume that the Mash will fare better.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:35 - 07 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi yeah

I know what you mean there, I think Lifan really shot themselves in the foot over in the UK with their dealer network, then switching to Zing bikes, who's customer service was atrocious. I see they seem to be building again, slowly, but so much damage to their reputation with what happened previously I think, it's going to take them a while.

Jinlun, are another that showed so much promise, good bikes, pretty reasonable quality, but again, their 'dealer' network, and lack of additional models let them down, apart from the 250V, which, by all accounts was abyssmal !!

I went with the Mash, partly, because I was looking at 250's initially, but then came across the early Mash reviews online. I saw that they have a pretty good reputation in mainland europe, and seem to be well established. Then, I found a local dealer, well, in Birmingham, so pretty local, to have a look at it in the flesh, and was offered a test ride as well.

The build quality, welds etc, look really good. From what I can gather, the bolts are supposed to be stainless steel, the exhausts are more substantial than my Enfield's, and the chrome, appears to be pretty good, not as good as on my triumph, but I would say, probably better than on my Enfield.

I know it's a risk trying something a bit new, and a bit different, but I'm not averse to that, my Skyteam V-Raptor, is the 4th UK registered one Smile

Also, I don't think it will too long before Sinnis and/or HMC offer their equivalent, unless they decide Mash have stolen too much of a March on them. One thing I have noticed, more than any other chinese brand I can think of, Mash seem to be really pushing themselves in the media, and where I got mine from, mentioned that Classic Bike magazine are also going to do a feature on the Mash

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:02 - 07 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I get it, my first three bikes were "you'll be sorry!" purchases. HN and GPz were great, Lifan was OK until it wasn't. I might take a punt on something similar in the future.

It is surprising that Jinluns vanished, they were very well regarded. Perhaps the wholesale price just went a few Yuan too high, it's a cut-throat market. The Zing and Zongshen brands were only ever blips, and speaking of Zongshen, I can see those 'Honley' 250s going the same way, with 25 sold to date.

Perhaps most telling is that Lexmoto seem to have dropped Adrenaline 250 as part of retiring the Pulse brand. That did relatively well at a whole 88 units, but that'll be the only 88 in the country, and that's not much of an incentive to stock parts.

Go bigger, and the much vaunted "WK" (CF Moto) 650s have sold 68 in total, both models, and they got a lot of coverage.

Despite what I'm currently on, I'm not a badge whore. I'd have a Mash over an Enfield, as it's probably a better bike, except that I can go online right now and order pretty much any Enfield part that I like for immediate dispatch to my door. Skyteam, notably, has online parts ordering and good on them.

If and when "Mash" can show me the same, I might give them a look. I'd value that over any media blitz, since I doubt that they'll sustain it.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:08 - 07 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

It is surprising that Jinluns vanished, they were very well regarded.

As far as I'm aware they actually stopped making petrol bikes entirely. They now punt out little electric type things (which apparently is very much the "in" thing now for Chinese farmers wives). Their webshite (cixikingring) has been gone for over a year.

I read somewhere a couple of years back there was a pretty big cull of Chinese bike makers. Too many factories churning out the same things to flood already saturated third world markets (which is the main target, exports to the EU pale in comparison).

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:59 - 07 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

£3799 OTR. Shocked

Just no, You can buy some lovely machinery for that in the 2d hand market. Stuff that will go on for many many years. I mean.....

Just a cheap iconic bike -
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-vmax-1200-full-power-1993-low-mileage-/111700082120?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1a01d7fdc8

If you want a 400 -
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KAWASAKI-ZRX-400-ZRX400-Eddie-Lawson-Replica-Fire-Cracker-Red-GPZ-Red-/331599413841?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4d34dd8251

If you want retro and new -
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Royal-Enfield-BULLET-500-NEW-CLASSIC-BIKE-FROM-AUTHORISED-ROYAL-ENFIELD-DEALER-/191540686836?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c98b6eff4

That's in 30 seconds of looking, I'm sure there are better deals.

Why oh why on Chinese Crying or Very sad

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:20 - 07 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi There

I'm sure you can, however, the last 2nd hand bargain I got, was a Yamaha XJ600 Diversion, hated it !!

Don't like the VMAX, also it's 22 years old

Don't like ZRX400, also it's 18 years old

Already have an Enfield 350 Bullet, also, the Enfield 500, is in the next DVLA VED bracket.

I went for the Mash, because, I like the Mash, I read the reviews, did my research, went to look at one in the flesh, took it out for 2 test rides before I finally put the deposit down on the bike I now own.

Of the bikes you mentioned, only the Enfield would have interested me, but as I already have a 350 bullet, that only gets ridden about 1000 miles a year.

Why Chinese, simple, I've owned a number of chinese bikes over the years, never had any problems, always been value for money. Yes, even the chituma that came in a crate 10 years ago, survived 5 winters without any major corrosion issues, before it was stolen, in the same time, my Honda VTX shield covering rotted through, and that hardly got taken out in the grit & grime of winter.

Other peoples experience of chinese bikes, may be different, mine have been nothing but good. The Skyteam V-Raptor, is now 4 years old, and has never been stored indoors, has very little signs of corrosion, my Triumph America, also suffers corrosion, especially on the forks, more than any of my chinese bikes, and taht is kept in the garage, and was only out in the grimy weather for 3 days, when I had a job in Cardiff, which was really a bit far for my 125 at the time

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:34 - 07 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Polarbear and I'm going to put here what I wrote in the other Mash thread.

Matt B wrote:
So you spent near enough £4k on that? Shocked Each to their own I suppose, but please come back in 3 years time and tell us how much it's worth then.

Think I would rather work my way through a couple of second hand Japanese 400s instead. Quick look on Fleabay shows that a '91 ZXR400 and a '78 Z400 could both be had for the same price.

What with depreciation, build quality issues and poor parts availability it just does not make financial sense.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:43 - 07 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZXR400, horrible, Z400, closer in looks. I went for the Mash, for the reasons I've said above, if I wanted another bike, I would have got another bike, I'm not averse to Jap rubbish Wink or even british (Indian) or british (Thai), but on this occasion, this is the bike I want, and so far I don't regret my decision.

Mileage wise, I expect, I'll probably put about 8-9000 miles per yer on the Mash, 10000 on the Triumph, and 1000 on the Enfield, the only one I envisage having to 'fettle' with is like to be the enfield, whether it's the breather tube or dodgy indian electrics !!

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:44 - 07 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the Mash, what, build quality issues and poor parts availability? So far, I have seen no evidence of either, and as I said, I'm already riding the Mash, and I can't see any build quality issues.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 07 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
As for the Mash, what, build quality issues and poor parts availability?

Build quality will, or will not, reveal itself in time.

Where in the UK will you be ordering spares from for the Mash?

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:20 - 07 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the dealer where I bought my bike, or direct from mashbikes Uk who carry a full stock of spares. There are also a number of other dealers in the UK, and, of course Mash France, ordering from France is not especially onerous, already have to order parts for my camper from France, as uk stockists are pretty poor.

I agree, overall build quality will show over time. However, at 60, there are no excessive vibrations, when looking in the mirrors, they are not vibrating anywhere near to the extent that you can't see what's behind you, in fact, no distortion at all.

So far, starts first time every time, just as the bike did when I turned up on spec at the shop, when I took it for a test ride. The welds are very neat, the bolts, as far as I'm aware, are stainless steel, the chrome is nicely done, but as I said before, not quite up to the standard of the chrome on my Triumph.

Only downside I can think of so far, the wheels are chromed steel, and not alloy.

I wasn't going to spend nearly £4000 on a bike that I didn't feel comfortable spending on it.

Each to their own, I like this bike, alot, I've liked my other chinese bikes, as well, as my non chinese bikes, with the exception of the Diversion, really didn't like that.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:21 - 07 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

Had another good ride out on it, with my daughter on the back, it was a run up the A5, then the A453 down to Bassets Pole. After a look around & a McD's too, it was onto the A38, until we picked up the A51, and carried on that until Rugeley, before taking a road through Cannock chase to Penkridge, and then back home to Wolves.

Again, the bike ran flawlessly.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:13 - 07 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Hi All

Had another good ride out on it, with my daughter on the back, it was a run up the A5, then the A453 down to Bassets Pole. After a look around & a McD's too, it was onto the A38, until we picked up the A51, and carried on that until Rugeley, before taking a road through Cannock chase to Penkridge, and then back home to Wolves.

Again, the bike ran flawlessly.

It's a brand new bike, don't you expect that?

My 2000 Fazer, (which was an insurance right off when I bought it) has done 29000 miles and has run flawlessly since I bought it as well.

I know which I would bet on still running flawlessly in a years time.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 07 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saying, my Triumph, didn't run flawlessly, kept cutting out. Perhaps flawlessly, isn't quite the context I'm talking about. it's fun and pleasant to ride, not grabby, nice and smooth, in other words, it handles flawlessly, not matter what the road type or surface. Very few know how well a Mash runs, whereas I'm sure plenty know how a fazer runs.

Well, if the Mash runs as well as the Skyteam does now (4 years old) in a years time, then it'll still be running flawlessly, strangely enough, all my other bikes have run flawlessly, baring the Diversion, and the America before it had settled down, whci was after about 5000 miles.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:53 - 07 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
From the dealer where I bought my bike, or direct from mashbikes Uk who carry a full stock of spares. There are also a number of other dealers in the UK, and, of course Mash France, ordering from France is not especially onerous, already have to order parts for my camper from France, as uk stockists are pretty poor.

Are there any website you can order them from?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:53 - 07 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

Are there any website you can order them from?

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:56 - 07 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there are contact details on the dealer websites, and, also on the mash uk website.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:10 - 07 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
it handles flawlessly, not matter what the road type or surface.

You really couldn't find any flaws in the handling regardless of the road surface?

Bet I could Smile.

Do you have particularly low expectations in that regards?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 295 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 2 of 13