Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Mash motorcycles?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

.Chris.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:14 - 07 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting - thanks for sharing your experiences. I have to confess that I quite like the styling and specification (I'd prefer a carb rather than FI, but presumably emissions regs make it a must). Not sure I'd buy a new one, mind....

Although it's good to hear that the importer has parts available now, as others have said the real question is whether you can get bits for it in 5-15 years time, when you're more likely to need them. The answer to that question will only really be known when the time arrives, at which point it's too late if the importer has long vanished and/or the parts are out of production (both possibilities, I would have thought).

Likewise, the quality and reliability of the bike will only be properly known a few years down the line. The fact that the bike runs and rides well when it's new is something that I'd hope could be taken as a given for any car/bike and is not necessarily indicative of its long-term reliability.

To my mind, its price is also getting a bit too close to that of some offerings from the Japanese manufacturers, which, with the best will in the world towards the importer and dealers, come with rather a lot more reassurance of reputation and long-term back-up.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:18 - 07 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh?? Well, if, you struggle to ride a bike that has very benign handling characteristics, that corners well, has enough grunt to overtake other vehicles, is nimble enough and narrow enough to filter through heavy traffic, then I might suggest you return for more training where you did your cbt, rather than brag about it Wink

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:20 - 07 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and pre-reg SR400 for £4881. Suspect that'll have considerably high residuals if nothing else.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:25 - 07 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris

Yeah, I do agree with you, and I also agree I've taken a bit of a risk taking a new bike to the market. However, as far as parts go, the switchgear etc are pretty generic, due to the origins of the engine, no doubt, there will be pattern parts that will also fit, should there be a need to in the future, likewise with the exhaust as well, and many other parts. Especially if you comapre the Mash to the Honda CL400RS

So, I'm not overly concerned

Cheers

Tony

Last edited by linuxyeti on 23:40 - 07 Jul 2015; edited 3 times in total

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 07 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Oh and pre-reg SR400 for £4881. Suspect that'll have considerably high residuals if nothing else.

I don't buy my bikes for their residual value, I buy them because I want them. If I wanted an SR400, I'd have bought an SR400, however, I already have 1 kick start only bike, and don't require another. Also, the SR is heavier, and one of the reasons for getting the Mash is to take it on the back of the motorhome.

Also, i should hope the residuals are higher, as it's already practically £1000 dearer !! duh !

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:55 - 07 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, relative residuals.

How much heavier is the SR400? Seems like it'd be pretty similar.

There's a difference between 'struggling to ride' a bike and being able to detect 'flaws' in it. I have ridden many deeply flawed bikes fine. That doesn't negate the flaws.
My 'daily ride' when I had such a thing used to be a K6 GSXR1000. That was narrower, had a lore more effortless power for a lot easier overtakes, 'better' handling I'd be willing to bet, probably better brakes too. I still wouldn't describe it 'flawless'.
(It also didn't cost much more than this bike - I got it at four years old.)

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:01 - 08 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, well, a simple check will reveal the SR to be about 20KG heavier, which makes alot of difference when it comes to attaching the bike to the back of a motorhome.

As for for ride qualities, yes it handles flawlessley, as per what it's designed for. Is it as quick as your GSX? Well, of course not, will it have the same acceleration as your GSX? Of course not, would you expect it to handle the same as a GSX? Of course not, are the 2 bikes aimed at the same demographic? Of course not. My 'daily' ride is my Triumph America, which I have to admit is pretty nimble for its size, but there are riding situations, where the Mash will be a more suitable bike to ride, and vice versa. I too have ridden big bikes, my VTX1300, was a beast, weight and size wise, an amazing motorway bike, not so good at pottering around, and certainly not so good at filtering, however, for what it was designed for, it too handled flawlessley, however, like any bike, take it out of it's design envelope, then it won't handle so well, but then, you wouldn't expect it to, for example, I'm sure the Mash would be pretty hopeless at greenlaneing/off roading/MX, but it's not designed for that, so it would be unfair to judge it's ride and handling qualities in that situation.

Simple really, or am I missing something really complicated?

And, back to the bike in question, as I've said previously, I did my research, of all the reviews, the SR400, gets the most laclustre response, the Enfield and Mash fair far better in the reviews. I already have a Bullet 350, and I like the look of the Mash, liked the look of it in the flesh, enjoyed the test rides I had, and I'm still enjoying riding the one I've bought, no matter what the road surface, or terrain has been. As I said, if I wanted and SR400, I'd have bought 1, I don't and I didn't, and I can't see a time in the future where I will.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 08:45 - 08 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
OK, well, a simple check will reveal the SR to be about 20KG heavier, which makes alot of difference when it comes to attaching the bike to the back of a motorhome.

That would seem to be wet weight of the bike with everything full is about 20kg heavier than the dry weight of your bike. I suspect in reality they are pretty similar. I wouldn't be surprised if yours is actually heavier - Japanese manufacturers got a lot more honest about ten years ago (models with no changes were listed with no weight at one point); I'm not sure how honest the Chinese are.

So by your standards a C90 'handles flawlessly' because it wasn't designed to handle well?
I have had a VTX1300 out for a decent ride as it goes.
If it was 'designed for' being ridden a short distance on straight smooth American roads to be parked up at a bike meet, sure it 'handles flawlessly' by your definition. Otherwise, the suspension was harsh on British back roads. It massively lacked ground clearance. Brakes were wooden and ineffective. Stock tyres were lacking in grip. And that's before all the other 'cruiser' issues.

I doubt your bike would be TOO bad at greenlaning; it'd certainly have more 'flaws' than a KTM EXC. Seems fair to consider them if you wanted to ride it off road. Here we're considering general riding on British roads I presume - something for which I'm confident the bike will have plenty of 'flaws'.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:23 - 08 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, well, as we're heading off topic somewhat, On motorways, the VTX was brilliant, and on numerous occasions had ridden over 500 miles in a day. I also think you'll note, that I did say it had shortfalls in other areas. As for the C90, I couldn't answer honestly, as I've never ridden one, I can't say either way.

Back to riding the Mash, whether it meets your description of flawless or not, is largely irrelevant, especially, as you haven't actually ridden one, and as such are hardly qualified to make any judgement whatsoever.

I say as I find, I have not had a single incident riding the bike, when used in the manner it's designed to be used, that has caused me to question it's capabilities. Basically, a commuter bike, capable of maintaining national speed limit, as the engine frees up, easily makes 65 without straining.

In which case, I would say, that my riding experience, thus far has been flawless. Now, if, for example, the bike was cutting out, or the brakes weren't working, or a cable snapped, then the ride wouldn't have been flawless, however, that has not been the case.

As for the SR, first of it's a Yamaha, I've not had much luck with the Yamahas I've tried

XVS650, overweight and under powered
XV535 Skittish, particularly on wet roads, although, to be fair, pretty nippy

As already said, I don't want another kick start only bike, which would rule out the SR, regardless of weight. Also based on the reviews, the SR, is generally seen to be over priced for what it is, and something of a missed opportunity for yamaha.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:40 - 08 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

.Chris. wrote:
it's good to hear that the importer has parts available now

They say that they do. Dealers are renowned for honesty, right? Thinking

They don't list parts and stock availability, unlike Lexmoto, Skyteam and Hitchcocks. Neither do (e.g.) BMW, mind, but I can jump on WeMoto or eBay and see all common consumables being offered for sale.

"Yeah, yeah, call Baz, he'll have a rummage through the back, see what he can find, no worries."

No. Just no. That's a dealbreaker for me. Hand

Stock systems should not be esoteric, gated by some three-headed watch-Baz. If you have it, list it. If you don't list it, then I'll assume that you don't have it. Interestingly (to me) the UK distributor, "HQB Sport & Leisure" is largish and well established and have had plenty of time to put this into practise.

I say this not because I want 'Mash' to fail, but because I want them to succeed.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:48 - 08 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I do agree with you. I also like to give people the benefit of doubt, and as they are new, to the UK at least, I can give them time to populate the website. As you can see what I said above, quoted below:, I don't think finding parts that will fit, aren't likely to be too much of a concern, even if Mash don't succeed, however, I hope they do.

linuxyeti wrote:
Hi Chris

Yeah, I do agree with you, and I also agree I've taken a bit of a risk taking a new bike to the market. However, as far as parts go, the switchgear etc are pretty generic, due to the origins of the engine, no doubt, there will be pattern parts that will also fit, should there be a need to in the future, likewise with the exhaust as well, and many other parts. Especially if you comapre the Mash to the Honda CL400RS

So, I'm not overly concerned

Cheers

Tony

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:45 - 08 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each to their own and that's why the world is an interesting place.

From my point of view, having heard the horror stories about Chinese bikes. Having seen my son's incredibly powerful (not) 125 snap it's chain on him and having seen the sell on prices I wouldn't go anywhere near a £4000 pound Chinese bike.

It is going to take people like you to change the perception the majority of the biking world have about Chinese bikes. Once you, and many others, come back and say 'Here's my Mash (or whatever), it's done 20000 miles over 5 years, still runs fine and hasn't disintegrated into a pile of rust people might take a pop.

Most will take an awful lot of convincing though.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:56 - 08 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

20000, in 5 years !! I expect to have done that within 3. Actually, before they got nicked, the chituma had 15000, and the Jinlun had ~22000 on the clock

But yeah, I do know where you're coming from, however, if I'd had bad experiences with my other chinese bikes, I certainly would have been alot more wary about about spending £4000.

I guess one ride I'd like to do again, is another ride up to John O'Groats, did this a few years ago with my stepson, both of us on Lifan LF400's

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:20 - 08 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm, I remember that from houniao-owners (I moderated there in a previous life).

linuxyeti wrote:
as they are new, to the UK at least, I can give them time to populate the website.

HQB Sport & Leisure Ltd was incorporated in 2005. Their other brands, Quantum Quads and TGV ATV, both have the same cookie-cutter "call Baz" websites.

I'll go out on a limb and predict that this is as good as it it's going to get for them.

However, I do (really) hope to be wrong and that "Mash" are the next Lexmoto rather than the next Zing.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:35 - 08 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too, although there is the advantage that Mash has a good mainland europe presence, although, probably more Sinnis like than Lexmoto

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:36 - 08 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there an actual company called "Mash", or is that some other outfit's brand?

IMO, no brand, whether Chinese, India, Korean or European, is really going to sell well above 125cc unless there's a single company controlling the whole sales chain from factory, shipping, sales and support.

You can (again) buy Hyosungs in the UK, but they're not sold by Hyosung, just a new two bit UK importer that's licensed the name as well as the bikes, until they get bored of it like Barrus did.

Mudshark
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:01 - 08 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

fork gaiters Thumbs Up
just need a sensible mudgard now

would like to see it after a UK winter mind

https://www.mashmotorcycles.co.uk/assets/uploaded/images/VON_DUTCH_Exp_gb_03.jpg

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:58 - 08 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
You can (again) buy Hyosungs in the UK, but they're not sold by Hyosung, just a new two bit UK importer

Har har, I've just checked and Hyosung UK are actually Moto GB, who also import a bunch of electric bicycles, Benelli, Sym, Keeway, Daelim and... Royal Enfield.

That rather illustrates the point about multi-marque importers who aren't really committed to any particular brand. They may pay lip service to it, but if push comes to shove, they'll just let a brand sink and focus on another.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:36 - 08 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I hear what you are saying, however, Royal Enfield are investing in R&D in Redditch, also, I seen some of the Mash merchandise that's on it's way, helmets etc.

There should be a write up on the Mash 400 in the August edition of Classic Bike magazine.

Oh, I doubt many of the Von Dutch, will see much of the British winter weather !! Smile Does look nice, in the flesh as well though.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:28 - 09 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Royal Enfield are investing in R&D in Redditch

To date, we know that Eicher have secured £1m+ in bungs in return for saying that a site will be operational in Leicestershire by the end of 2015.

If that's going to happen then recruitment and construction/fitting should be underway now. [holds hand to ear theatrically]

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 08:47 - 09 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

Back to riding the Mash, whether it meets your description of flawless or not, is largely irrelevant, especially, as you haven't actually ridden one, and as such are hardly qualified to make any judgement whatsoever.

I was establishing whether YOUR description was a 'qualified' judgement.

Also, I've ridden enough bikes and can follow basic logical thought, which combined offers plenty of 'qualification' to understand the handling of a (not THAT) cheap Chinese bike on British roads.

Quote:
In which case, I would say, that my riding experience, thus far has been flawless. Now, if, for example, the bike was cutting out, or the brakes weren't working, or a cable snapped, then the ride wouldn't have been flawless, however, that has not been the case.

It seems you have very low base expectations for your £4k.
As we can also see here Smile...
Quote:
XV535 .... although, to be fair, pretty nippy

Laughing

Smile

Last edited by G on 09:44 - 09 Jul 2015; edited 1 time in total

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:52 - 09 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
linuxyeti wrote:
Royal Enfield are investing in R&D in Redditch

To date, we know that Eicher have secured £1m+ in bungs in return for saying that a site will be operational in Leicestershire by the end of 2015.

If that's going to happen then recruitment and construction/fitting should be underway now. [holds hand to ear theatrically]

also not heard a murmur in Bromsgrove about any jobs in Redditch Shocked and am on the government job page everyday Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:58 - 09 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I remembered the place wrong, but yeah, sorry, Leicestershire, now it's been mentioned, does sound more familiar

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:15 - 09 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

I think you've missed a few angles there Wink

I quite like how it looks Thumbs Up

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:26 - 09 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:

It seems you have very low base expectations for your £4k.

Sleeping

Well, until I can find a bike, that levitates, and as such does not cause any wear and tear, on either the road surface or the bike itself, oh yeah, of course, I won't actually ride it, as I won't need to, as my highly developed senses can tell me from a safe distance of at a minimum of 20 miles how well it can handle, I shall be able to give as qualified a review as you.

I bow to your greater judgement & knowledge Laughing

I should point out I am perfectly qualfied to pass judgement on how a bike I'm riding actually rides, however, I am NOT qualified to pass judgement on a bike I have never ridden, it's really that simple. Your 'qualified' views, are no more qualified, than mine, or anybody else's for that matter, but wholly unqualified, if you have not actually ridden the bike. All views are purely subjective, that includes, yours, mine and anybody else's for that matter. That really, no, really should not be that hard to understand, well, for most people anyhow.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 295 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 3 of 13