Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Mash motorcycles?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:40 - 09 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

mJZ wrote:

I quite like how it looks Thumbs Up

I like how it rides as well Very Happy

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:23 - 09 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

I should point out I am perfectly qualfied to pass judgement on how a bike I'm riding actually rides, however, I am NOT qualified to pass judgement on a bike I have never ridden, it's really that simple.

So; lets take two hypothetical people.
The first has ridden a wide range of bikes, plenty of them 125s including the R125, CBR125, CBF125, but not a YBR125.
The second has just done his CBT riding a YBR125, having never ridden a motorcycle before.

You believe that the second person is going to be able to make a better judgement on how A YBR125 is likely to ride than from an educated estimation by the first?
Even though this is their first experience on a motorcycle and they don't have any frame of reference?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:32 - 09 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is your strawman going to kick start the bike with his floppy straw legs? Eh?

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:36 - 09 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, still going, have you not understood anything at all. The second can provide a perfectly valid subjective opinion as to what the bike was actually like to ride, why do they need a frame of reference.

First off, does that bike ride well, for them themselves, do it's riding qualities suit them? After gaining further experience, either from riding the same bike, or others, will their opinion/views change, quite possibly.

However, the crux of the hypothesis is that one of the riders has ridden the YBR125, irrespective of experience, and can therefore provide a valid view based of first hand experience, the second, can only offer an opinon, either based on hearsay and / or prejudice, but not any genuine first hand experience, of said bike, much the same as you are attempting to do here.

My views have ALL been from 1st hand experience, and that, is the difference

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:24 - 09 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll want to stay bang on topic with G.

Here's what I read: the bike did handle flawlessly when you rode it, where you rode it, in the way that you rode it.

That's not a particularly controversial statement unless you read more into it. If there were no flaws apparent, it was flawless.

Here's what I didn't read: the bike will handle flawlessly on any surface, under any conditions, and any use.

That would be hard to defend. Good job nobody said it.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:29 - 09 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Here's what I read: the bike did handle flawlessly when you rode it, where you rode it, in the way that you rode it.

Here's what I read:
Quote:
it handles flawlessly, not matter what the road type or surface.

Wink
(I was working on the assumption not was a typo for 'no'.)

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:36 - 09 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Here's what I read:
Quote:
it handles flawlessly, not matter what the road type or surface.

Ah, but on a closer reading what you failed to see is

https://i.imgur.com/9pffN.gif

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:43 - 09 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that was a typo for no, and I still stand by what I wrote then, and it's still true now, even as I approach 1000 miles ridden on this bike.

Thus far, the bike has indeed handled flawlessly, no matter what the road surface has been like that I have ridden it on. This inlcudes :-

A roads, single & dual carriageway
Motorway, M54
B roads, yes, paved, complete with the expected surface imperfections, such as, pot holes, fords (not related to the car manufacturer)
Unnamed roads, again, paved.

Over both flat, and hilly terrain.

Of course all of the above is based entirely on my own experience, but I do think, 1000 miles, does give me overall a very good feel for the bike, and how it does or doesn't ride, and if any niggles were to become apparent, they would have started becoming apparent by now. I have not, as yet, felt that for any reason, the bike is not riding flawlessly.

If I do hit a snag, then I'll report it here, however, that has simply not been the case, how difficult can that be to understand?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:06 - 09 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine G as a thrill junkie Vulcan with an addiction to 2-stroke oil.

If you'd said "has handled", past perfect continuous tense, pas de problème.

You said "handles" though, so it's present continuous and koon-ut-kal-if-fee time.

https://38.media.tumblr.com/068db1474446254a3a8dc863d1b86cc3/tumblr_mrvwd0m6cu1ry46hlo1_r1_400.gif

iansoady
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:55 - 26 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone.

Just joined the forum as I have been looking at the MASH as a replacement for my current Suzuki Wee-Strom and this thread popped up via google. As age creeps up on me I'm finding the Wee more of a hassle to get in and out of the garage and to generally manhandle although once on the move it's fine. This all means I'm using it less than I would like.

Just to put it in context (and to introduce myself), I've been riding for over 45 years, have had at least one bike all that time although most of my experience has been with older Brits. The Suzuki replaced a Tiger 955i which again I liked very much but was even heavier and harder to shove around.

My days of spending a week to go across to France and have a couple of days of pass-storming in the Alps are, I feel, probably behind me so I'm looking more for something that will handle reasonably on A and B roads, will manage 100 miles or so with no problems, is reasonably lightweight and looks good. The MASH does seem to fill these requirements.

I'm very interested in what linuxyeti has posted, and it gives me some confidence although I know Chinese bikes have had a bad press generally . I live in Brum so think I will pop over to Chas Mann's next week and have a good look and maybe a test ride.

Any further experiences to share?

Many thanks

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:38 - 26 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Ian, if you've previously ridden a V Strom, then why not have a look at the Honley Venturer? I've only ever sat on one but it felt pretty decent. Look after it and it should be fine (ish).

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:02 - 26 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian, I get where you're coming from.

You might want to have a look at Royal Enfields as well. Bit heavier but you don't notice it, mine's very easy to wheel around. Parts are plentiful, retained value is good and the modern ones are a lot better designed than they used to be.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:37 - 26 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian

Well, so far I can't fault my Mash. Also, I think you'll find Ian at Chas Mann very ameneable, and helpful.

If you pop across, tell him Tony says hello, apparently I was his first Mash sale Smile A born again virgin !! Ha.

I do also agree about Enfields, I have an oldish 350 bullet, however, new Enfields are only available as 500's which puts them into the higher VED bracket, and are more expensive.

I think in the August edition of Classic Bike, they are doing a reeview/write up of the Mash 400.

Cheers

Tony

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:53 - 26 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at those pictures reminds me how much I want a W650 ...

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:16 - 27 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, yeah I know what you mean, nice looking bike, and I have considered one of those in the past. Perhaps if they did a W400, to get it into the A2 class and lower VED bracket, I reckon it'd do well Smile

Cheers

Tony

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:49 - 27 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
the higher VED bracket

An extra £21 a year. I'm as tight as the next Scootch but is that really a reason to choose one bike over another? Eh?

iansoady
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:22 - 27 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks all.

I used to ride a (Redditch) Bullet in pre-65 trials for several years although with no great success and that did put me off the marque to some extent although I appreciate the modern versions are totally different. They're also more expensive and heavier (at least on quoted weight) than the MASH.

The MASH looks (to me) better than all the other bikes I'm considering and is reasonably priced, although I can see it dropping a lot in depreciation in the first year. I've always been a firm believer in letting someone else take that hit in the past.

I'm in no rush to change, although as usual once I've decided the money starts to burn a hole in my pocket....

I've just had a quick look at the Honley but TBH fancy a more conventional looking machine this time round. The MASH seems to be very similar in power, weight and general dimensions to the unit Triumph 500 I've just parted with but I like to have one bike to tinker with (currently the 1931 Sunbeam) and one to just get on and ride. The Triumph certainly wasn't the latter......

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:25 - 27 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put a Mash and an Enfield in my garage and I'd probably chose to ride the Mash based on the specifications.

However, I wouldn't have both. I'd buy and own the Enfield over the Mash based on parts supply and retained value. Oh, and that there are no Mash dealers anywhere near.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:12 - 27 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

It's not the extra £??, but if I was going to get a new classic bike in the A1 & higher VED category, it would have to be a new Triumph Bonneville. Same as my America effectively, so can say from 4 years ownership that the engine is reliable, and the chrome holds up well, not too sure about the laqueted forks etc though.

Anyhow, I loke both my Enfield 350 & Mash, for some of the same reasons, and for some differing reasons Smile But I can't see me putting above 1000miles a year on the Enfield, fair bit of pfaff what with blocked breather tubes etc & convoluted oil changes !!

Cheers

Tony

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:08 - 27 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Oh, and that there are no Mash dealers anywhere near.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/188253/_bcf/smash.jpg

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:49 - 27 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case no one has mentioned it, there's a decent French forum dedicated to Mash motorcycles. I spent a day or two reading through the posts and came away thinking that these guys generally loved their bikes. A few common issues arose, all with easy fixes.

Having been available in France for a few years now it seems that the bikes are holding up rather well.

The site is in French, of course, but just use the translate function on your 'puter.

https://www.mash70-75.com/index.php

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:03 - 27 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is helpful and informative and such, but at the risk of Teffing out a bit, I'm compelled to point out that:

1) You can say exactly the same for Indian owners of (modern) Royal Enfields.

2) We don't live in France or India. However, I can order Indian parts online very easily. Does the same hold true for Mash bikes?

However, please ignore me and buy Mash bikes today so that it makes more sense for me to do so tomorrow. Wink

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 27 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already have Smile Although I should point out the Mash 400 ( known as the 500) in France, has only been available for a relatively short time, but yeah Mash so seem to have a pretty good reputation in mainland europe, which can only bode well.

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 07:05 - 28 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having toyed with getting something "interesting" I still haven't ridden any of the hopefuls yet. I'm not even sure that it's a good idea to be tempted by (mainly) price (circa £4k) as it's still a decent whack of cash.

The Mash 400 should be cheaper, if only because of the weaker Euro, but the importer will just treat it as a windfall. Otherwise, I might be tempted.

The SR400i is £4k second hand (not many about) and possibly flawed.

The Enfields are a decent bet - I like them - but my favorite (Electra) is no longer available new. I could probably still get one for circa £4k if I travelled.

The Sinnis 250 is a nice retro bike, the only downside being the lightweight feel to the bike (and the shocking shockers). However, it's well priced if it's not going to be your main bike.

The Honley Venturer is probably as good as any Chinese bike and not too over-priced but I see pre-reg bikes going for low prices, which doesn't bode well for depreciation.

Then, when the dust settles, I realise that I've just come back from a superb run on my CX500 Eurosport (£1k) and wonder what the hell I'm doing drooling over other, potentially suspect, bikes. Probably because they are shiny, and nothing else.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:55 - 28 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldie wrote:
The SR400i is £4k second hand (not many about) and possibly flawed.

Kick-start only doesn't attract me. Or many other people, they've only sold 88 of them.

Oldie wrote:
The Enfields are a decent bet - I like them - but my favorite (Electra) is no longer available new.

"Electra" never really meant that much, just "not pov spec". The fuel injected "UCE" 500 models essentially obsoleted that branding.

Anyway, they're pretty much mix-and-match, you can put together one to match your desires. I quite like the 'woodsman' seat on mine.

Oldie wrote:
The Sinnis 250 is a nice retro bike, the only downside being the lightweight feel to the bike (and the shocking shockers). However, it's well priced if it's not going to be your main bike.

Agreed, it's almost cheap enough to be an impulse buy. However, not quite cheap enough and without test riding it, no sale.

Oldie wrote:
The Honley Venturer is probably as good as any Chinese bike and not too over-priced but I see pre-reg bikes going for low prices, which doesn't bode well for depreciation.

Mmm, they initially priced it close to £4K which was far too high. £3150 + OTR mugging is more like it, but they can do better. That's (real) Inazuma 250 money for a back-lot-bike.

It looks great, I like the built in crash bars, but the luggage is annoyingly small - I'd really rather add my own.

The kicker is that for all the good press, they've only registered 25 to date - and as you note, some of those are dealer pre-reg.

Oldie wrote:
Then, when the dust settles, I realise that I've just come back from a superb run on my CX500 Eurosport (£1k) and wonder what the hell I'm doing drooling over other, potentially suspect, bikes. Probably because they are shiny, and nothing else.

Oh, we all do it. Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 275 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 4 of 13