Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Mash motorcycles?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

BenR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:30 - 15 Jan 2015    Post subject: Mash motorcycles? Reply with quote

Anybody heard of these before? https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bikes-for-sale/mash/roadstar-400/3226359/ Looks a nice bike & cheap too. Apparently a French company with the bikes made in China.

Last edited by BenR on 20:12 - 15 Jan 2015; edited 1 time in total

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:43 - 15 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlkxcC79LA8 Thumbs Up Smile

It does look alright, well the clocks are terrible. If it has got a Honda XBR engine, then I'd give it a go.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:48 - 15 Jan 2015    Post subject: Re: Mash motorcycles? Reply with quote

Depends if it's a 'French company with the bikes made China' or 'French company that re-badges bikes made China'.

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:54 - 15 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks suspiciously like the honda GB500TT.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:03 - 15 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a Sinnis retrothingy with a bigger engine.... if so it's made by Qinqi. Saw one of these in the Window of a little bike shop in Downton, looked nice through the window. Though for the new price you could get a decent 2nd hand Enfield or a Bonneville

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:36 - 15 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see it on the Qingqi site.

It's pretty close to the £4K for a basic Enfield Bullet.

Probably a better bike, and certainly lighter.

Insurance, parts and resale, as usual.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:47 - 15 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it. It's a Shineray and retails for £1880 in China (though nobody pays asking price over there so probably more like 1500)

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.35.1ciXar&id=40614537859&ns=1&abbucket=12#detail

27BHP 397cc single, 157KG (dry)

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:28 - 15 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, nice one. What do we think of Shineray? I've got no firm opinion, although I've seen a few shockingly neglected ones go on Gumtree.

moonzoomer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:54 - 15 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
Found it. It's a Shineray and retails for £1880 in China (though nobody pays asking price over there so probably more like 1500)

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.35.1ciXar&id=40614537859&ns=1&abbucket=12#detail

27BHP 397cc single, 157KG (dry)
Wonder if it has the same engine as the Xingyue 400, this looks a lot like the old KLE 400/500 machine with a single cylinder lump instead of the twin.
https://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/xingyue_xy_400_gy_speed_bike_2010.php

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:02 - 16 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlikely, seeing that it's an aircooled and the one you just linked to is water cooled Smile.

moonzoomer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:23 - 16 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Unlikely, seeing that it's an aircooled and the one you just linked to is water cooled Smile.
Fair nuff

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:28 - 16 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
What do we think of Shineray?

I've got no first hand experience of them. Some 3rd party/anecdotal.

Guy I served with has one of their quad things that came in a box. He waxes lyrical about it but I've never seen it. His first quad though and he has never had a bike so he may be getting excited over a turd without knowing it.

They seem to have their own MX team competing internationally, would imply they are more than a bulk box shifter.

Their website is better than any other Chinese bike makers site. The English mostly makes sense and it is fairly up to date (though does not list this 400).

There appears to be no parts availability for this bike in the UK, though that would be a black mark on Mash not Shineray.

Think I'll keep an open mind. If any of the Chinese peddlers in Andover or Salisbury start to stock it I'll get a test ride as I am curious. If I had that kind of money (I don't) and wanted a low power chilled out classic style machine (I do want) I'd get an Enfield though.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:31 - 16 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

It says 500 on the side panel, and it says it has an XBR motor, so why label it as a 400?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:37 - 16 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peculiar, that, should be funny assplaining it to an insurer. Very Happy

wr6133 wrote:
There appears to be no parts availability for this bike in the UK, though that would be a black mark on Mash not Shineray

I'd give it a miss purely on that basis, until and unless Lexmoto stock parts (which I'd doubt).

That's me though, I understand that you speak the lingo.

moonzoomer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:49 - 16 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
It says 500 on the side panel, and it says it has an XBR motor, so why label it as a 400?
Honda XBR were available as a 400 as was the GB400 TT.

Sable
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:09 - 16 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shineray annecdote.

I have seen two. First was at the Ace Cafe, some odd looking thing that was meant to have plastics on, but had vibrated them off to buggery within first few hundred miles. Its owner was laughing. Everyone else was laughing. Not sure he realised we were laughing at him Sad

Secound had an exploded engine within 100 miles and 1 week, complete with a rotted through exhaust, having its return rejected by a shark dealer near me.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 12:29 - 16 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
wr6133 wrote:
There appears to be no parts availability for this bike in the UK, though that would be a black mark on Mash not Shineray
I'd give it a miss purely on that basis, until and unless Lexmoto stock parts (which I'd doubt)...

If you believe the internet the ChineseMotorcyclePartsOnline.co.uk site lists Shineray bits and pieces. Nothing for a 400/500 though so probably worth sticking to original plan and avoid.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:53 - 16 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:
If you believe the internet the ChineseMotorcyclePartsOnline.co.uk site lists Shineray bits and pieces.

Same outfit as Lexmoto. Also LLexter and Lextech and Pulse.

They started as a parts supplier before they got into selling bikes to go with the parts, so they're pretty good at it. They'll try and identify rebranded bikes, match parts from pictures, and actively source parts if they don't have them in stock immediately - good luck getting that service from Iain. Wink

So I'd actually rather have a bike supported by Lexmoto than - for example - an Italian or Korean marque. I'm quite interested in whether and when they'll take the plunge into larger capacity bikes beyond the Pulse Adrenaline 250.

That CF Moto 650 that WK are selling, no thanks. But as a Lexmoto sold and supported bike, it'd be a different proposition even at the same price.

.Chris.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:04 - 16 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that article on the MCN website - don't buy the paper though so not sure what their full opinion of it was? There are a few French reviews, which seem to be generally positive, but the real issue is going to be how well it lasts, which no review of a new bike can really predict Confused. Like Roger, I'd also worry about long-term spares backup.

It certainly looks nice and the spec/numbers look good. The whole bike does look suspiciously like a Honda CB400SS, which are now just starting to make their way to these shores (albeit for about the same/slightly more money for a 10 year old bike).

Interestingly, Mash Motorcycles in France appear to sell some of the bikes which are sold under the Sinnis name here, including the new Retrostar 250, and some of the 125s.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:51 - 16 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

I'd give it a miss purely on that basis, until and unless Lexmoto stock parts (which I'd doubt).

That's me though, I understand that you speak the lingo.

Spot on. Even Taobao doesn't seem to have a wealth of parts for it beyond the fairly generic stuff like chains and sprockets, though even armed with just enough Chinese to use taobao I wouldn't want to own a bike where I have to order spares from Chinese retailers and wait on shipping/customs/etc. I doubt it sells much in China tiddlers are king there, a 250 is considered pointlessly large by many and big bikes are rare.

Possible parts availability in France? I stopped attending Frog lessons after about 2 years so I couldn't make much sense of their site.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:07 - 06 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI All

Well, as it happened I picked my Mash 400 up last Thursday Smile So, what, if any riding have I done, and how happy am I so far?

Thursday, picked it up, rode the 30 KM home, without getting too soaked !! No issues, didn't go above 40, as I want to break it in gently.

Friday, well, this turned out to be a rather larger ride out, that in the end, and encompassed, A road, B road, un named roads, dual carriageways and even a motorway run.

Started out, Wolverhampton -> Solihull, A roads, sticking mainly to a maximum of 40-45. Had a break at Solihull.
Then it was from Solihull to Kings Norton, I'd left some paperwork at the shop !! doh !! I'm sure I didn't pick the quickest route, or shortest route.
The, from Kings Norton, I rode to Kidderminster, by now, the bike was wanting to go quicker, so, I was now getting comfortably upto 50-55
From Kidderminster, it was a ride across to Halfpenny Green, and a stop at the airport cafe, nice introduction of twisty country lanes
After that it was back to Wolverhampton, cutting across via the country roads to the A454 half way between Wolverhampton & Bridgnorth, before carrying on back home to Wolverhampton. By now the engine was really beginning to feel quite a bit freed up.
Had a cuppa, and decided on one more run out, so, of it was a trip on the M54 from junction 2 -> 3, for a stop off at Cosford, on the M54, the bike was more than happy to sit at 60, with definitely more in reserve.
After that, it was the A41 and then some country lanes back home to Wolverhampton.

All in all that was a ride out on the day of 240 km !!

So, how did the bike perform?? Flawlessly, in a word.

The gear changes are very smooth, the acceleration is perfectly adequate, being a single, like my Enfield, whilst not super fast, you don't really slow down going up hills, either short and sharp, or long and steady !! The speedo appears to be relatively accurate, based on anecdotal evidence, as for example, when I slowed to an indicated 40mph for speed cameras, I kept parity with other vehicles around me doing the same.

So then, how does this compare to my other bikes, or bikes I've owned?? Well, I may possibly just have found my new favourite Chinese bike, finally pushing the Jinlun JL-250 off it's pedestal, no mean feat I tell you !! In many ways, Mash (Shineray) have realised the potential, that Enfield seem to be missing, by having an EFI 'classic' single at or below 400cc, and the difference in tax etc. It looks right, looks nice next to the enfield, and doesn't seem quite as flimsy as the Enfield, certainly gear changes are much smoother !! Obviously, for performance, it can't touch my since departed Honda VTX1300, or even my Triumph America, probably not the Diversion I got rid of either. It is however a pleasure to ride, it's a bit bigger than the 125's I've owned, and although probably not a huge amount quicker, has a much better road presence, and has that grunt that gives you the confidence to go up steep inclines, and not to mention, it has character in spades !!

Now then, interest from other road users and pedestrians. My Jinlun used to get plenty of interest, my Enfield still does, and based on my riding yesterday, so does the Mash, with a combination on thumbs ups !!, and some quizzicle looks, as people try and make out what it is !!

The big question is, would I recommend it, so far yes absolutely, based on my for all intents and purposes 1 full days usage.

Anyhow, I think that's war and peace ended with !! So, have a look at some photos instead Smile

Still riding it, and without any issue, and nothing to give me any concern whatsoever !! In fact, it's going back for it's first 500km initial service on Wednesday. Not bad for having only owned it for less than a week.

https://s4.postimg.org/6eazswznd/MASH_XY_400_ROADSTAR_1.jpg

https://s4.postimg.org/6pnurxqpl/MASH_XY_400_ROADSTAR_2.jpg

https://s4.postimg.org/dhe9usfp5/MASH_XY_400_ROADSTAR_3.jpg

https://s4.postimg.org/9v3v4ejy1/MASH_XY_400_ROADSTAR_4.jpg

https://s4.postimg.org/ypncyh4s9/MASH_XY_400_ROADSTAR_5.jpg

https://s4.postimg.org/yzuvhtjeh/MASH_XY_400_ROADSTAR_6.jpg

https://s4.postimg.org/s5p65vg55/MASH_XY_400_ROADSTAR_7.jpg

https://s4.postimg.org/nvaiaab21/MASH_XY_400_ROADSTAR_8.jpg

https://s4.postimg.org/qmts0w9kp/MASH_XY_400_ROADSTAR_9.jpg

https://s4.postimg.org/nu0kgv989/MASH_XY_400_ROADSTAR_10.jpg

If you are in the west midlands, and want a closer look at one, test ride one, or even buy one, I got mine from Chas Mann motorcycles in Kings Norton. Ian, the owner, is very helpful, and allowed me t buy my bike in installments, so I didn't have to go down the fince route. I should point out, I have no affiliation with Chas Mann motorcycles, just speak as I find. For you 125's he has some nice Keeway 125 Superlights in Smile

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 06 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
HI All

Well, as it happened I picked my Mash 400 up last Thursday Smile So, what, if any riding have I done, and how happy am I so far?

Thursday, picked it up, rode the 30 KM home, without getting too soaked !! No issues, didn't go above 40, as I want to break it in gently.

Friday, well, this turned out to be a rather larger ride out, that in the end, and encompassed, A road, B road, un named roads, dual carriageways and even a motorway run.

Started out, Wolverhampton -> Solihull, A roads, sticking mainly to a maximum of 40-45. Had a break at Solihull.
Then it was from Solihull to Kings Norton, I'd left some paperwork at the shop !! doh !! I'm sure I didn't pick the quickest route, or shortest route.
The, from Kings Norton, I rode to Kidderminster, by now, the bike was wanting to go quicker, so, I was now getting comfortably upto 50-55
From Kidderminster, it was a ride across to Halfpenny Green, and a stop at the airport cafe, nice introduction of twisty country lanes
After that it was back to Wolverhampton, cutting across via the country roads to the A454 half way between Wolverhampton & Bridgnorth, before carrying on back home to Wolverhampton. By now the engine was really beginning to feel quite a bit freed up.
Had a cuppa, and decided on one more run out, so, of it was a trip on the M54 from junction 2 -> 3, for a stop off at Cosford, on the M54, the bike was more than happy to sit at 60, with definitely more in reserve.
After that, it was the A41 and then some country lanes back home to Wolverhampton.

All in all that was a ride out on the day of 240 km !!

So, how did the bike perform?? Flawlessly, in a word.

The gear changes are very smooth, the acceleration is perfectly adequate, being a single, like my Enfield, whilst not super fast, you don't really slow down going up hills, either short and sharp, or long and steady !! The speedo appears to be relatively accurate, based on anecdotal evidence, as for example, when I slowed to an indicated 40mph for speed cameras, I kept parity with other vehicles around me doing the same.

So then, how does this compare to my other bikes, or bikes I've owned?? Well, I may possibly just have found my new favourite Chinese bike, finally pushing the Jinlun JL-250 off it's pedestal, no mean feat I tell you !! In many ways, Mash (Shineray) have realised the potential, that Enfield seem to be missing, by having an EFI 'classic' single at or below 400cc, and the difference in tax etc. It looks right, looks nice next to the enfield, and doesn't seem quite as flimsy as the Enfield, certainly gear changes are much smoother !! Obviously, for performance, it can't touch my since departed Honda VTX1300, or even my Triumph America, probably not the Diversion I got rid of either. It is however a pleasure to ride, it's a bit bigger than the 125's I've owned, and although probably not a huge amount quicker, has a much better road presence, and has that grunt that gives you the confidence to go up steep inclines, and not to mention, it has character in spades !!

Now then, interest from other road users and pedestrians. My Jinlun used to get plenty of interest, my Enfield still does, and based on my riding yesterday, so does the Mash, with a combination on thumbs ups !!, and some quizzicle looks, as people try and make out what it is !!

The big question is, would I recommend it, so far yes absolutely, based on my for all intents and purposes 1 full days usage.

Anyhow, I think that's war and peace ended with !! So, have a look at some photos instead Smile

Still riding it, and without any issue, and nothing to give me any concern whatsoever !! In fact, it's going back for it's first 500km initial service on Wednesday. Not bad for having only owned it for less than a week.

https://s4.postimg.org/6eazswznd/MASH_XY_400_ROADSTAR_1.jpg

https://s4.postimg.org/6pnurxqpl/MASH_XY_400_ROADSTAR_2.jpg

https://s4.postimg.org/dhe9usfp5/MASH_XY_400_ROADSTAR_3.jpg

https://s4.postimg.org/9v3v4ejy1/MASH_XY_400_ROADSTAR_4.jpg

https://s4.postimg.org/ypncyh4s9/MASH_XY_400_ROADSTAR_5.jpg

https://s4.postimg.org/yzuvhtjeh/MASH_XY_400_ROADSTAR_6.jpg

https://s4.postimg.org/s5p65vg55/MASH_XY_400_ROADSTAR_7.jpg

https://s4.postimg.org/nvaiaab21/MASH_XY_400_ROADSTAR_8.jpg

https://s4.postimg.org/qmts0w9kp/MASH_XY_400_ROADSTAR_9.jpg

https://s4.postimg.org/nu0kgv989/MASH_XY_400_ROADSTAR_10.jpg

If you are in the west midlands, and want a closer look at one, test ride one, or even buy one, I got mine from Chas Mann motorcycles in Kings Norton. Ian, the owner, is very helpful, and allowed me t buy my bike in installments, so I didn't have to go down the fince route. I should point out, I have no affiliation with Chas Mann motorcycles, just speak as I find. For you 125's he has some nice Keeway 125 Superlights in Smile

Keep us updated with text and pics! Thumbs Up
Current:1991 Honda MT50 (Soon to be a H100/MTX/MT5 hybrid), 1976 Honda Cub C70, 2005 Honda Varadero 125, 1993 Yamaha TTR250 Open Enduro , 2010 Road Legal Stomp YX140, 1994 Honda CRM 250 MK III, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 1992 Honda CB400 Super Four, Stomp T4 230, 1984 Honda H100s, 2009 Sym XS125K
Past:2003 Aprilia RS125, 1982 Kawasaki GPZ550(FREE BIKE!)
I'm having more fun than a well-oiled midget.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:07 - 06 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I will

I've been really impressed by it's handling and build quality. I not new to the world of chinese bikes, and pretty much know what to look out for. I know chinese bikes get knocked, but I can honestly say, all of the chinese bikes I've owned have generaly been excellent value for money, and reliable if looked after, and the corrosion can easily be kept at bay, I ride in all weathers. The chinese bikes have not really needed anything appreciably extra, as far as looking after goes, than the Jap & British bikes I've owned.

If you are in the Midlands, Chas Mann motorcycles are a dealer, and, they had no qualms about me taking it for a test drive, actually, 2 test drives, the second with the missus on the back, before placing an order for 1.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:17 - 07 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting stuff, thanks.

Did the issue of parts supply come up?

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:26 - 07 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there

I did ask, and they have a good parts supply here at the moment, also, Mash have a big presence in mainland Europe, especially France & Spain.

Also, things like the switchgear etc look pretty standard anyhow, I don't think there's very much on the bike that alternatives can't be found for, should an original part not be forthcoming, and as has been said before, there's always CMPO.

Another plus point is that Shineray, the manufacturer, seem to be one of the better vehicle manufacturers, so much so they have their own racing team as well, as a result, brand protection will higher up the list of priorities.

Either way, of all the chinese bikes I've owned in the past, part have never really been that much of an issue, even 10 years ago, perhaps I've just been lucky??

Cheers

Tony
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 267 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13