Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Mash motorcycles?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ackack
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:04 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

nitrosurf wrote:
It's worrying how much of this cheap metal makes its way into not only Chinese domestic products but also 'premium' products from other parts of the world. anyone?

You'd be surprised how much crap metal is making it's way into the aircraft industry, with India being a particular offender.

Do any of these bike companies do any engines in the 800-1000cc range?

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:32 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ackack wrote:

Do any of these bike companies do any engines in the 800-1000cc range?

I won't divert too far from the main theme of the thread, but, for a kick off, Benelli (QJiang) have bigger engined (1130, 1200) bike, they're even looking at 1800cc .., and of course, not forgetting Loncin

tonybaloni
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:52 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to admire Linuxyeti for sticking to his guns re the mash 400,I'd also like to know which (higher power) battery you are hoping to fit,and if you have been able to source a workshop manual download as I'm in the process of trading in my Yam for a new Roadstar,and am more than a little nervous about getting my first Chinese built bike!

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:08 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I hope you enjoy your Mash, so, is the one you're getting one of the new Euro 4 certified machines, if it is, there are few subtle differences between mine and yours. The battery wasn't too bad, but if left for any length of time in the cold it would drain. It may be worth waiting to see how your new one lasts, afterall, they've had another 2 years worth of tweaks to put in, and it may come with a different battery now Smile

I'll have to dig it out, but the manual that comes with the bike isn't too bad, from what I can remember, although I've kept this one serviced at the dealer I bought it from, partly to keep the warranty covered, and partly because, I get on well with the store owner, who I seem to keep bumping into, such as at Motorcycle Live, and, even Sunday amongst all the other bikers @Cosford on the Ride4Life rideout.

I've had a close look at the Green one, and I have to admit I do like it. Along with the cosmetic changes, there are also changes to exhaust, additional filters added for Euro 4, also, reading up, I think the EFi may be different to what mine is. When the time is right to replace mine, I think I will just get a new one ..

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:22 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
don't kid yourself that cheap chinese steel is necessarily bad, or any worse than any other country's steel.

Blast furnaces turn the ore into pig-iron, the base Iron which then goes onto metal production plants etc but even pig-iron comes in different grades (more like different mixes but I'm sure you get the gist).
In the mid nineties there were less than 30 blast furnaces world-wide with IIRC one in china.
Now there are around 60 world-wide with approx. 30 in china.
Irrespective of country, they run the full spectrum of grades from top to bottom and from china they're all a cheap price.
Then they go onto metal production which again can turn mid-range pig-iron into crap or pretty high grade metal (as the buyer your requirement for 'recycled steel content' is also a major factor).
So some Chinese metal is very good and some is crap.
Globally the better stuff usually comes from the better names (Like ThyssenKrupp) but as the buyer, the grade you get is your choice.

tonybaloni
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:51 - 06 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Hi

I hope you enjoy your Mash, so, is the one you're getting one of the new Euro 4 certified machines, if it is, there are few subtle differences between mine and yours. The battery wasn't too bad, but if left for any length of time in the cold it would drain. It may be worth waiting to see how your new one lasts, afterall, they've had another 2 years worth of tweaks to put in, and it may come with a different battery now Smile

I'll have to dig it out, but the manual that comes with the bike isn't too bad, from what I can remember, although I've kept this one serviced at the dealer I bought it from, partly to keep the warranty covered, and partly because, I get on well with the store owner, who I seem to keep bumping into, such as at Motorcycle Live, and, even Sunday amongst all the other bikers @Cosford on the Ride4Life rideout.

I've had a close look at the Green one, and I have to admit I do like it. Along with the cosmetic changes, there are also changes to exhaust, additional filters added for Euro 4, also, reading up, I think the EFi may be different to what mine is. When the time is right to replace mine, I think I will just get a new one ..

Hi Linux,
The Roadstar is a new 2017 registered bike, but hasn't got ABS which made it cheaper than the ABS model (it also had a rear rack which is not fitted to the later models) and I've been biking for so long that the lack of abs doesn't bother me.
I've always owned a sporty (looking) bike and an around town bike,and now, getting on in years,I have parted with my older heavy bikes,and taken the plunge and gone for the Roadstar and the TT40 which are both far lighter and easier to manoeuvre and push around.
I wouldn't recommend this to someone younger than myself but the prospect of running acouple of retro style bikes that remind me of my earlier days seems a good idea to me.Pricewise they arecheaper than just one larger Triumph and the ease of access and lackof fairings are a bonus.My mileage nowadays is of the " sunny sunday" rider,so the warranty could see me out and I may hopefully not have to worry about Chinese reliability! Will report back on how the bikes perform.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:39 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Well, it sounds like you have the same version of the roadstar as I do, I do quite like the look of the TT40, it looks pretty cool. Funny you should post this, as yesterday, I took my Mash 400 on a 200 mile round trip yesterday, that I posted on here ...

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=265772&start=2211

tonybaloni
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:34 - 11 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Hi

Well, it sounds like you have the same version of the roadstar as I do, I do quite like the look of the TT40, it looks pretty cool. Funny you should post this, as yesterday, I took my Mash 400 on a 200 mile round trip yesterday, that I posted on here ...

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=265772&start=2211
Great pictures,the Roadstar looks immaculate.My bikes were delivered early this week,had to wait for an updated ECU to be fitted to the roadstar as I think they have had problems with stalling on idle,but it runs well and am real pleased with it.Not quite so happy with the TT40, it looks a real stunner but it is idling at around 1800-2000rpm which makes it impossible to find neutral in traffic and at the lights.so it's not a nice ride at the moment.Throttle cable adjustment is ok,the manual suggests resetting the idle stop but this is factory set and locked on the UK models for emission regulations so I'm not sure what my dealer will come up withwhen I can get it back to him.Maybe they can adjust the mapping on the fuel injection.It's a bit disappointing but if/when they fix it,It should be a cracking little bike.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:04 - 11 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You bought two of them? For close to £9K? Shocked

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:01 - 11 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

I'd rather have that Harley Neutral

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:17 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Harley, god no, never !!! I'm more than happy with my Mash thankyou very much Smile even almost 2 years down the line of ownership, although I am considering selling my Enfield bullet 350 and getting a Hyosung ST7

Mawsley
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:33 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
A Harley, god no, never !!! ...although I am considering ...getting a Hyosung ST7

I have no words.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:40 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mawsley wrote:

I have no words.

Good for you, a dictionary is a good source though Smile

tonybaloni
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:11 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

No way - I traded-in two bigger (and better) bikes and cash input was minimal.The dealer made his profit selling two bikes,I got maximum trade- in value and replaced my big heavy bikes with lightweight retro bikes that I can manage.Also cheaper tax,cheaper insurance and no MOT's for three years. Whats not to like? Not concerned about resale values as I'll be keeping them.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:59 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You gave almost £9 of value for them? Shocked

I get the reasons for changing, it's just a lot to gamble on a brand that might vanish tomorrow.

I guess if people keep buying them then they'll keep selling them though.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:23 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonybaloni wrote:
Not quite so happy with the TT40, it looks a real stunner but it is idling at around 1800-2000rpm which makes it impossible to find neutral in traffic and at the lights.so it's not a nice ride at the moment.Throttle cable adjustment is ok,the manual suggests resetting the idle stop but this is factory set and locked on the UK models for emission regulations so I'm not sure what my dealer will come up withwhen I can get it back to him.Maybe they can adjust the mapping on the fuel injection.It's a bit disappointing but if/when they fix it,It should be a cracking little bike.

I cannot believe that people will buy a new bike from a company or supplier that has issues like this. This sort of thing is why I slate, and will continue to slate Chinese bikes.

If you were an inexperienced learner on a 125 you had bought and it did that you would probably crash. It is bloody dangerous and to send a new bike, presumably after pre delivery checks, out on the road like that is just criminal.

And yes, I would rather have a Harley than those two bikes, however pretty they are.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:53 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

I cannot believe that people will buy a new bike from a company or supplier that has issues like this. This sort of thing is why I slate, and will continue to slate Chinese bikes.

If you were an inexperienced learner on a 125 you had bought and it did that you would probably crash. It is bloody dangerous and to send a new bike, presumably after pre delivery checks, out on the road like that is just criminal.

And yes, I would rather have a Harley than those two bikes, however pretty they are.

And yet, I'm sure you'd advocate buying a Triumph?? When I bought my America (brand new) it kept cutting out, back to dealer, ecu remapped, still kept cutting out, usually when slowing down at roundabouts or coming down the slip roads off the motorway, now that is more dangerous than having a few minor issues getting into neutral, the idle is only a little high, mine idles around 1500, so, should, all being well be quite a simple and quick fix, under warranty. Triumph never did fix the cutting out issue on mine.

As for Harleys, meh, I like cruisers, but I don't like Harleys, that's why I'm replacing my Enfield with an ST7 Very Happy

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:57 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonybaloni wrote:
Great pictures,the Roadstar looks immaculate.My bikes were delivered early this week,had to wait for an updated ECU to be fitted to the roadstar as I think they have had problems with stalling on idle,but it runs well and am real pleased with it.Not quite so happy with the TT40, it looks a real stunner but it is idling at around 1800-2000rpm which makes it impossible to find neutral in traffic and at the lights.so it's not a nice ride at the moment.Throttle cable adjustment is ok,the manual suggests resetting the idle stop but this is factory set and locked on the UK models for emission regulations so I'm not sure what my dealer will come up withwhen I can get it back to him.Maybe they can adjust the mapping on the fuel injection.It's a bit disappointing but if/when they fix it,It should be a cracking little bike.

So then, are we going see some pics of yours in any scenic places? Thumbs Up Smile

Bonnie Lad
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:13 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

And yet, I'm sure you'd advocate buying a Triumph?? When I bought my America (brand new) it kept cutting out, back to dealer, ecu remapped, still kept cutting out, usually when slowing down at roundabouts or coming down the slip roads off the motorway, now that is more dangerous than having a few minor issues getting into neutral, the idle is only a little high, mine idles around 1500, so, should, all being well be quite a simple and quick fix, under warranty. Triumph never did fix the cutting out issue on mine.

As for Harleys, meh, I like cruisers, but I don't like Harleys, that's why I'm replacing my Enfield with an ST7 Very Happy

Where does your obsession with Chinese piece of shit motorcycles come from?

They are almost universally shite bikes, built to fulfill a function at minimal cost, at a clear detriment to reliability and build quality reported by pretty much anyone who owns one (except for you and your spammy quasi adverts for them).

Answer truthfully - Don't just do the boring 'you don't like triumph being criticised' bollocks, I couldn't care less about triumph and I'm sure there are some dogs out there like there are with any mass produced brand of motorcycle.

Last edited by Bonnie Lad on 13:15 - 12 May 2017; edited 1 time in total

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:14 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

I've had 3 new Hinkley Triumphs, all with no issues except for factory recalls that have been sorted with no arguments. However that obviously doesn't make all Triumphs issue free, just like any other make. The difference is how many are issue free and, for the Chinese bikes that are being talked about, the fact that they are approaching the similar cost of an equivalent main stream bike.

We will never agree on this, and for the forseeable future you are going to be in the minority because bikers regard Chinese bikes as disposable goods. Therefore however good your Mash is, you are going to have to sell it for peanuts because no one wants it second hand.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:32 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonnie Lad wrote:
Where does your obsession with Chinese piece of shit motorcycles come from?

Owning them?

Bonnie Lad wrote:
They are almost universally shite bikes

How many have you owned, and what problems did you have with them?

Bonnie Lad wrote:
a clear detriment to reliability and build quality reported by pretty much anyone who owns one

My HN was fine. My Lifan was not. I would no more use the first example to claim that all Chinese branded bikes are great than I'd use the second to dismiss them all as tat.

I'd gamble on Chinese made over Indian made - CBF125, KTM125/390 - any day of the week. For one thing, I'd be putting up a smaller stake.

Balanced views and reasonable conversations are dull though; where's the fun in that?

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:33 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not an obsession , and I'm not going over the history of each of the bikes I've owned yet again. I buy & ride what I like, just happens that of my current crop of bikes, 3 of them are chinese, and 1, currently indian, soon to be replaced by a korean bike. I like my chinese bikes, as they have been reliable, not matter what the weather, they've been used for commuting, various distances ranging from 40 to now 120 mile round trips, without issue or fuss.

Of all the bikes I've owned, I really enjoy riding the Mash 400, which in many ways is like riding the Enfield, but, is also more motorway friendly when needed, for the CF650, 500 miles in a day is easy & comfortable, coupled with loads of luggage space. The Zhongshen, very different type of bike, plus it's only a 250, but again, will happily do the M54/M6/M69 daily in crap weather without issue. Of the non chinese bikes I've owned, the VTX1300 was my favourite, and still is, of all the bikes I've owned. the Diversion the worst and the America the most dissappointing.

In short, as I use the bikes for commuting, not just pleasure, I needed reliable bikes, the chinese bikes have been just that, reliable, never not made it to the office, or other work location due to a bike either not starting, or breaking down, never been left stranded at the side of the road, and contrary to popular belief, none of them have rusted to dust.

Well, as you can see from my pics of my run out last Sunday, even after 2 years of commuting & pleasure riding, my Mash still looks nice & fresh.

I don't buy bikes to sell, however, based on past experience, my previously owned chinese bikes have sold for prices I've been happy with, and to be fair, I don't care if they are viewed as disposable, but yes I am happy, and, as things stand, when the time comes to replace the Mash, I'll replace it with another Mash, yes I really do like it that much, unless of course in future, something else takes my fancy.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:48 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonnie Lad wrote:

They are almost universally shite bikes, built to fulfill a function at minimal cost, at a clear detriment to reliability and build quality reported by pretty much anyone who owns one

Wait, we still talking Chinese bikes or are you moving onto KTM Dukes, CBFlux125's and just about any of the cheaply made lower price ranged bikes coming out from the 'major' manufacturers these days?

I've said already in this thread somewhere, the quality of the MASH was impressive close up; markedly different to other brands. It's a significant amount of cash less than any equivalent major manufacturer produced bike. The quality stacks up for the price point just fine.

It's nice to see one getting used, still looking in good nick and not falling to bits - should be applauding the brave pill swallowing IMO.

A Ducati Scrambler Sixty2 is something like 2 grand more expensive than a MASH; if the MASH works well and holds up fine, then that's a saving worth having.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:03 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
I've said already in this thread somewhere, the quality of the MASH was impressive close up; markedly different to other brands. It's a significant amount of cash less than any equivalent major manufacturer produced bike.

It's the same price as a basic Bullet 500.

I'd expect that the Mash (Shineray) is actually a better bike though.

tonybaloni
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:24 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures,the Roadstar looks immaculate.My bikes were delivered early this week,had to wait for an updated ECU to be fitted to the roadstar as I think they have had problems with stalling on idle,but it runs well and am real pleased with it.Not quite so happy with the TT40, it looks a real stunner but it is idling at around 1800-2000rpm which makes it impossible to find neutral in traffic and at the lights.so it's not a nice ride at the moment.Throttle cable adjustment is ok,the manual suggests resetting the idle stop but this is factory set and locked on the UK models for emission regulations so I'm not sure what my dealer will come up withwhen I can get it back to him.Maybe they can adjust the mapping on the fuel injection.It's a bit disappointing but if/when they fix it,It should be a cracking little bike.[/quote]

Surprised to see my post (above) has brought out all the anti-Chinese bike brigade again.I only posted it to see if any other Mash 400 owners had experienced a similar problem or knew of a fix.Apart from this I've been pleased with both the finish and handling of the bikes and looking forward to getting a few long runs in before the first service. T.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 322 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 9 of 13