Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Mash motorcycles?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:31 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonybaloni wrote:

Surprised to see my post (above) has brought out all the anti-Chinese bike brigade again.I only posted it to see if any other Mash 400 owners had experienced a similar problem or knew of a fix.Apart from this I've been pleased with both the finish and handling of the bikes and looking forward to getting a few long runs in before the first service. T.

Welcome to the wacky world of chinese bike ownership !! haha Laughing

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:19 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm keeping an open mind. £4K is a reasonable price. ~£3350 OTR for a CF Moto 650n is better.

What always gives me pause is the parlous sales figures. ~120 Mash 400s, ~200 CF Motos (all variants of each). The local CF Moto dealer has given up on them, so if I'd bought one any warranty support would be a struggle. No Mash dealers up here yet.

Open mind though. Reports of no issues is what I'd expect. What happens when things go wrong is more interesting. Hope the TT400 gets sorted soon.

tonybaloni
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:07 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I'm keeping an open mind. £4K is a reasonable price. ~£3350 OTR for a CF Moto 650n is better.

What always gives me pause is the parlous sales figures. ~120 Mash 400s, ~200 CF Motos (all variants of each). The local CF Moto dealer has given up on them, so if I'd bought one any warranty support would be a struggle. No Mash dealers up here yet.

Open mind though. Reports of no issues is what I'd expect. What happens when things go wrong is more interesting. Hope the TT400 gets sorted soon.

Thanks,I agree with you, there is a bigger risk not buying from one of the big four/five names,but this covers most bikes not only Chinese,probablythe same if you had a Bimoto.,Unfortunately the days when our dealers had a big range of spares in house are gone,and now you can wait weeks for something like a clutch cable,and I've no idea whether Mash spares are kept in uk or France.There does seem to be a large and growing market for them In Holland,Belgium,Spain and France and I'm trusting this will keep them going here. Fingers crossed! T.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:48 - 14 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll be OK. In extremis, taobao should provide Shineray XY400 parts.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:01 - 14 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, spares are plentiful on tabao, don't forget also, Jawa should also be a good source for spares, as there new 350, is indeed, the Shineray XY400 ( Mash 400 Road Star) https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/2017/may/jawa-300-ohc/ So, even if Mash stop marketing it, always alternatives & options.

tonybaloni
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:52 - 14 May 2017    Post subject: Mash Reply with quote

Thanks for Mash 400 spares info,every bit of knowledge helps.Put a hundred miles on the TT40 today and am really warming to the bike,the idle problem I had initially, has improved,making neutral selection easier now.It has rear-set pegs and an extra linkage to the gearbox compared with the Roadstar so may mean a slightly different technique finding that elusive neutral.still running in at an average of 4000rpm going up to five occasionally.So far,looking good.T.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:32 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Mash Reply with quote

tonybaloni wrote:
Thanks for Mash 400 spares info,every bit of knowledge helps.Put a hundred miles on the TT40 today and am really warming to the bike,the idle problem I had initially, has improved,making neutral selection easier now.It has rear-set pegs and an extra linkage to the gearbox compared with the Roadstar so may mean a slightly different technique finding that elusive neutral.still running in at an average of 4000rpm going up to five occasionally.So far,looking good.T.

Beware, saying good things about a chinese bike, before you know it you'll be accused of being a dealer of said chinese bikes ! Laughing Laughing

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:23 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Mash Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Beware, saying good things about a chinese bike, before you know it you'll be accused of being a dealer of said chinese bikes ! Laughing Laughing

Or getting discounted servicing for being a reference customer.

We can Google, you know. Wink

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:31 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, well, that would have been because I let this chap take my bike for a couple of rides, just a shame he couldn't make his mind up, so, never did get that free service !!

Also, no different to when I fixed a local hair dressers PC, so the missus got a free hair cut.

Vic Davion
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:43 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti

Sorry, PM service is not working as I've expected Smile
Though, my questions can be interesting to some extent for other readers

1. What is the current mileage?
2. Were there any problems with paint and rust in the points of fixation and welding? In Ukraine it is sold as GEON Bullet 400, and there was a problem with first motorcycles.
3. How is the performance of front light when riding at night?
4. How is the performance of rear suspension, especially when riding with passenger?

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:11 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vic

Just under 10000 now, no real areas of corrosion, rides fine with either with myself, me & my daughter, me & the missus with the top box full, even rode fine with the top box full of pet food, a 12KG bag of dog biscuits strapped to the seat + 2 20KG bags of cement in a big rucksack, with the bag of dog biscuits taking the weight off my back, as I said, it's my natural goto bike for general riding / shopping etc.

The front light could probably be better, it's not the greatest, but, it's also not the worst, and can easily be uprated if need be.

Cheers

Tony

Vic Davion
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:29 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thank you, Tony.

Hope there aren't much differences between European/UK version of MASH and Ukrainian GEON Smile

Except, probably, that UA version is running on carburetor.

Other tech specs looks similar IMHO.

Here's the link to UA version (photos, video).
https://www.motoshop.ua/product/geon-bullet-400/

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:35 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you can stil get carb'd bikes in the Ukraine !! Be careful, you'll start a mass exodus Smile

tonybaloni
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:29 - 30 Jun 2017    Post subject: Mash update Reply with quote

Just had first service completed on the TT40 after 600 miles,the original problems (high tickover and difficulty selecting neutral) have settled down and are now fine.In fact the bike seems to be improving with increasing mileage,which appears to be the case with most bikes fitted with the fuel injection and ECU's of today.
The performance is very similar to the old Guzzi Monza,and the café racer style provides plenty of enjoyment for an old fella.Road holding when cornering at speed! is excellent even with the Chinese tyres fitted which came as a surprise.Have had no complaints on standard of the finish and no stretch in the chain.It pulls quite a crowd at bike meets with different comments but not the age old one of "I used to have one of those when I was younger" -- I wonder why?
I haven't put as many miles on the Roadstar but it's a pleasure to ride and with its topbox fitted suits me fine as a nice little comuter and I've yet to fault it,in fact I think the
exhaust note sounds nicer than the TT40
As a fair weather biker nowadays, I can say that both these little retro-bikes have (so far) come up to the mark.I would like to know what the Honda XBR of the eighties (on which their engine is based on) was like as I never had the opportunity to ride one.T.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:48 - 30 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Mash update Reply with quote

tonybaloni wrote:
I would like to know what the Honda XBR of the eighties (from which the engine has been blatantly plagiarised) was like as I never had the opportunity to ride one.T.

EFA

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:07 - 30 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's based on the Honda CB400SS, as is the Roadstar fullstop. Not so much plagurised either ..

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:28 - 01 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for keeping us updated, Tony. It's great to hear they're working out for you.

Petemate
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:17 - 01 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: Mash update Reply with quote

tonybaloni wrote:
I would like to know what the Honda XBR of the eighties (on which their engine is based on) was like as I never had the opportunity to ride one.T.

I had an XBR in 1988. It was a fantastic bike in all but one way. My preferred style of bike is one a bit 'laid back', much like the old Triumphs I used to own, and, after the XBR, the Reveres. I loved the single cylinder sound, reminded me a bit of a mate's Goldie from years ago. It was quite a good puller too, and would cruise easily at an indicated 100 mph. (in fact that was handy, as I detected the imminent failure of the steering head bearings from a slight weaving at afore-mentioned 100, not noticed at lower speeds)
My only dislike of the bike was the riding position - 'bars forward and low, gave me aching wrists and leg cramps on a relatively short trip up to my parents' in Halesowen from Oxford. Shame. I have sat on a Mash 400 at my local dealer and for me it is a very comfortable riding position.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

secretagentmo...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:44 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
You gave almost £9 of value for them? Shocked

I get the reasons for changing, it's just a lot to gamble on a brand that might vanish tomorrow.

I guess if people keep buying them then they'll keep selling them though.

Mash have been selling bikes in France for years....

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:20 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

secretagentmole wrote:
Mash have been selling bikes in France for years....

Bien fait pour eux.

tonybaloni
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:54 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: Mash Reply with quote

For anyone interested,there is a pretty honest write-up on the Mash on the following website
www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/bikes/mash/mash-tt-cafe-racer
Mine reminds me of the 60's Ducati 250cc Monza that I used to lust after in my youth back then,but could never afford (even more so now) but the Mash gives me just as much enjoyment on the twisties on a far cheaper budget. There's quite a few Mash clips on YouTube but most of them are in French/german or Spanish and the transalator is just not up to it.
I've spent a fortune over the years,modifying/improving a standard bike to my liking but all this little bike needs is nothing more than a tankfull of fuel and a twisty road ahead. T

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:14 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

BCF doesn't like that link so here, have one that works Mr. Green

https://href.li/?https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/bikes/mash/mash-tt-cafe-racer

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:32 - 12 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: Mash Reply with quote

tonybaloni wrote:
www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/bikes/mash/mash-tt-cafe-racer

I do like Bennett's bike section, it tends to be higher quality than "real" bike rags.

This though:

"And on all bikes, the ABS can be turned off,"

Ooh, naughty, naughty. Nanny Brussels wouldn't approve. Tut Tut

tonybaloni
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:06 - 15 Jul 2017    Post subject: Mash Reply with quote

Thanks to STE for the Bennetts link - why wouldn't BCF accept the original link? -- don't be too techie with the reason,my brain has very little capacity left.
Re ROGERBORG reference to modern day bike mags,IMHO they seem to be written with a big slant towards their advertisers,and most of the road test are pie in the sky journalism and not the info that the average biker wants to know.But where else can you get a good listing of upcoming events.
I'm not sure that I've seen an advert for Mash bikes in any of the mags,but that's probably down to the Brit importers down on the south coast - if they want a market over here they're going to have to do a lot better.T.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:05 - 15 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if it's been mentioned already but Mash are imported to the UK by the same people as AJS.

Source - My mate works in the 3rd party warehouse they keep it all in.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 257 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 10 of 13