Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Mash motorcycles?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:34 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
linuxyeti wrote:

Jesus linux, what hallucinogenics have you been partaking of?

That looks like a shit MZ

Could be nice when they finish it, though.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:22 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
linuxyeti wrote:
Oh, have you seen the new Mash Black 7 250. I do like the look of that, but, then I also like the look of the AJS Cadwell 125

https://www.mashmotorcycles.co.uk/model/black-7/black-7-250cc

I'll have a decent look at it at the NEC.

https://www.dmamotors.uk/resources/Black_seven_02.jpg.800.thumb.jpg

Jesus linux, what hallucinogenics have you been partaking of?

That looks like a shit MZ

Hahaha - Now that would be telling Laughing Laughing

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:04 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

I love that. Would ride.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:28 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seat looks orthopaedic as fuck - to be fair though, many design-hours must've been invested to obtain such a rustic, plank-like finish, and to remove even the last vestiges of a stylish contour line.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:54 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

I'm going to have a closer look on the Mash stand. THe 125 version, is the same as the AJS Cadwell 125, and I saw somebody with one of those the other week, and the owner was really happy with it, aside from it being a little on the slow side, so, hopefully the 250 will give it a bit more poke !!

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:46 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Oh, have you seen the new Mash Black 7 250. I do like the look of that, but, then I also like the look of the AJS Cadwell 125

https://www.mashmotorcycles.co.uk/model/black-7/black-7-250cc

I'll have a decent look at it at the NEC.

https://www.dmamotors.uk/resources/Black_seven_02.jpg.800.thumb.jpg

Hmmm? It looks like just any other Chinese single cylinder 250 ie
Sinnis or Herald.
I’m not saying I don’t like it Thinking ,but I’m having enough fun with my Honley RX3 .

I personally think the Chinese need to bring out a substantially better/faster/more powerful 250 if they really want to be noticed in the 250 market.

As said before it’s also about aftersale support of the product.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:11 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Seat looks orthopaedic as fuck - to be fair though, many design-hours must've been invested to obtain such a rustic, plank-like finish, and to remove even the last vestiges of a stylish contour line.

Agree but it's not the type of bike I'd do distance on. It'd be chucked to the back of the garage and brought out when you need to do 20 miles in local traffic. Weighs naff all. Easy to move about. Bit carefree.

Needs to be cheaper though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tonybaloni
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:11 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried going the 125/250cc route when downsizing with no success, they're ok for a trip up to the corner shop but my Mash 400 is the minimum size to cope with every situation including the odd motorway trip which is unavoidable nowadays. Now if I could find a 650cc that only weighed 150 odd kilos.................heaven!
Must do a write-up on my downsizing journey which still makes me laugh and cry in equal measure but I did finally make it.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:53 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonybaloni wrote:
Now if I could find a 650cc that only weighed 150 odd kilos.................heaven!

KT690 enduro and SMC weighs in at 138kg before fuel (or at least the first model did - ABS etc may add a little - but latest models should now be a chunk north of 60hp.)

The Duke model weighs a little more, but is a bit lower and more 'road'y - all now have 6000 mile service intervals I think.

Lupo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:29 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember WK selling an 400cc. adventure bike, but not anymore. Is the MASH Adventurer 400cc. the same but the Efi version?

https://i.imgur.com/LepQTq9.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/QvnRyc9.jpg

Specs:

Single Cylinder 397cc Air Cooled 28HP
Electronic Fuel Injection
5 –Speed Transmission
43mm ‘Fast Ace’ Forks
‘Fast Ace’ Rear Shock Absorber
260mm Front Disc
220mm Rear Disc
21” Front Rim
18” Rear Rim
Seat Height: 880mm
Weight 151kg
19 Litre Fuel Tank Capacity
Mash Aluminium Luggage included as standard
Mash Windshield Included as standard
Sump Guard fitted as standard

Price: £4699 + OTR

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:53 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lupo wrote:
I remember WK selling an 400cc. adventure bike, but not anymore. Is the MASH Adventurer 400cc. the same but the Efi version?

https://i.imgur.com/LepQTq9.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/QvnRyc9.jpg

Specs:

Single Cylinder 397cc Air Cooled 28HP
Electronic Fuel Injection
5 –Speed Transmission
43mm ‘Fast Ace’ Forks
‘Fast Ace’ Rear Shock Absorber
260mm Front Disc
220mm Rear Disc
21” Front Rim
18” Rear Rim
Seat Height: 880mm
Weight 151kg
19 Litre Fuel Tank Capacity
Mash Aluminium Luggage included as standard
Mash Windshield Included as standard
Sump Guard fitted as standard

Price: £4699 + OTR

Yes it's the same, Shineray X5, before WK started selling it over here, it was already for sale in the rest of Europe as the Mash Adventurer. The X5 seems to be pretty well liked from most of the reviews it gets, and real life experiences.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:29 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonybaloni wrote:

Must do a write-up on my downsizing journey which still makes me laugh and cry in equal measure but I did finally make it.

I would be genuinely interested as I am seriously considering doing the same.

tonybaloni
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:15 - 01 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
tonybaloni wrote:

I would be genuinely interested as I am seriously considering doing the same.

Here goes - Advancing years and diminishing strength eventually forces us all to look at lighter machines or to give up on bikes altogether.After a lifetime (pre crashhelmets!) of owning performance bikes I had to think small, so...........
I went for a 125 Suzuki,nice bike - big mistake.ended up on a wet motorway,stuck between two bloody great lorries,no chance of overtaking,vision obscured and nowhere to go - not nice.Change bike
Next was a 250 Kawa ninja,nice bike - big mistake,fast for a 250 but 12/13000rpm can be a little wearing,fairings made engine access difficult and radiators and water pumps are for cars and central heating (yes,I'm a grumpy old git!).Change bike.
Next was an old Virago,nice bike - big mistake,not my style and too much spannering instead of riding.
Getting desperate,something below 150kg with enough poke to cope with allround biking.Shall I risk looking at these Chinese bikes? This Mash 400 - 150kg,lowish seat height,retro copy of bulletproof Honda xbr engine and the sporty (looking) TT40 model reminds me of the 250 Ducati mach1 that I lusted after in my youth. the Roadstar looks great for urban riding too.
Well,I went for it and almost a year later I'm more than happy,not everyone's choice I know,but suits me fine and keeps me on the saddle.
All those still on bigger faster more expensive and exotic machinery,I envy you.........I was there once.T

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:03 - 01 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonybaloni wrote:

All those still on bigger faster more expensive and exotic machinery,I envy you.........I was there once.T

See now that’s were we differ.
I’ve had my share of bigger bikes and have ridden a few Smile ,but I don’t miss them.
I’m not scared of them, I just don’t need them.

As for being without a bike! Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil , it’s not gonna happen.

I plumped for a couple of 250’s, and a 600.
It’s still to much and I’m not made of money so running 3 bikes is just to expensive/not realistic.
Could I live with the Honley RX3 as my only bike?
It would free up a lot of garage space.

Did you find it beneficial: in what way? Or did you just hate having to do it?

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:36 - 01 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

See now that’s were we differ.
I’ve had my share of bigger bikes and have ridden a few Smile ,but I don’t miss them.
I’m not scared of them, I just don’t need them.

As for being without a bike! Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil , it’s not gonna happen.

I plumped for a couple of 250’s, and a 600.
It’s still to much and I’m not made of money so running 3 bikes is just to expensive/not realistic.
Could I live with the Honley RX3 as my only bike?
It would free up a lot of garage space.

Did you find it beneficial: in what way? Or did you just hate having to do it?

As much as I like my Honley 250, if I had to choose between giving up the Honley, or giving up the Mash, I'm afraid the Honley would lose out everytime

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:04 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

If you do want something faster.
It's not that low, but is thin... when I last weighed my old 675 with just upper race fairings it came in at 155kg with a little fuel.

Not litre-bike-ease, but there's plenty of said litre bikes in the fast group I manage to keep ahead of without being that fast a rider myself.

I'm sure with some basic road gear, removing front fairings and say a full titanium exhaust (maybe titanium subframe too), you could get it to be under 150kg for a pretty respectable power/weight ratio in a very agile bike.

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:55 - 03 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

..................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Last edited by smegballs on 21:35 - 17 May 2021; edited 1 time in total
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 188 days between these two posts...

krisijanis
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:52 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, went through all the pages Very Happy it was a lot of information, still, another year has passed and wanted to hear from the owners how their mash bikes are doin. I'm considering the Mash black 7

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:25 - 15 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's finally come of age !! Yes, it's 3 years old, and went for it's first MOT yesterday. Passed with no advisories.

OK, well, I've now had the bike 3 years, from new, and the review I gave after about 2 years of ownership, still holds true. It gets used in all weather's, including the crappy snow/ice/slush/grit laden winter we had this year. It hasn't skipped a beat, aside from oil & filters & battery, nothing has needed fixing or replacing, well, aside from the rear rack, but that was definitely more my fault !

It's still a lovely leisurely ride, and is everything I'd have liked my Enfield 350 to have been, but wasn't. And it still gets plenty of attention, more than I would have expected !

Despite having been run all through the winter, certainly no garage queen, there are very very few signs of corrosion of any description, and it certainly hasn't crumbled to dust.

Here's a photo I took of the bike, whilst out and about on Wednesday, the day before the MOT, and it still looks good Smile !

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/mash400_church_quatt.jpg

As it stands, when it comes to replacing the Mash, I'd buy another new one in a heartbeat Thumbs Up

Well, I might also look at the new Enfield 650's as well !! But, I really can't find fault with the Mash

tonybaloni
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:24 - 19 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see Linux is still happy with his Mash roadstar (last post) and I'd like to add that my Roadstar and TT40 trackstar have both exceeded my expectations re Chinese bikes.I haven't done a great mileage due to age and not able to ride both bikes at once but the pleasure from riding them is just as good as previous far more expensive motors. No complaints whatsoever.They won't suit everyone I know,but as always it's horses for courses. Now whats this about Harleys being built in India!!

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:32 - 19 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many miles on them now guys?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:46 - 19 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair play. Despite my tirades against Chinese bikes I'm glad yours is doing OK.

Would I have one - no. But then I'd not buy a Chinese car either.

My view is when they start developing and building their own designs rather than copying everyone else's they will start to have some pride in their bikes and we may get some continuity of standards.

But your Mash has done OK. I'd sell it now though, dissolvment is just around the corner. Wink

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:51 - 19 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
How many miles on them now guys?

Just under 12000 miles, not km

Polarbear wrote:
Fair play. Despite my tirades against Chinese bikes I'm glad yours is doing OK.

Would I have one - no. But then I'd not buy a Chinese car either.

My view is when they start developing and building their own designs rather than copying everyone else's they will start to have some pride in their bikes and we may get some continuity of standards.

But your Mash has done OK. I'd sell it now though, dissolvment is just around the corner. Wink

My Mash has done better than OK, no corrosion of any note, even after last winter with the snow, ice and copious amounts of roadsalt, so, not dissolved as yet.

The Chinese do make their own designs, increasingly so, also, however, obviously not this specifically, the Shineray XY400SS and equivalents are sold under various brands around the world, from Mash & Jawa in Europe to other brands in Australia, South Africa, the South American countries. Probably sold more widely than the original CB400SS it was based on

There's a facebook owners group, which for the most part seems to have very positive submissions/post from.owners of the various Mash models.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:41 - 29 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

Just another update, still running without issues, and even managed to get a decent run out on Friday just gone ..

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=4585512#4585512

If you're in the market for a reliable 'retro' look & feel bike, I would still highly recommend, such a gentle relaxed ride

Thumbs Up
[/url]

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:25 - 30 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Hi All

Just another update, still running without issues, and even managed to get a decent run out on Friday just gone ..

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=4585512#4585512

If you're in the market for a reliable 'retro' look & feel bike, I would still highly recommend, such a gentle relaxed ride

Thumbs Up
[/url]

I love the look of that bike of yours.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 180 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13