BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Dream bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 08:30 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Dream bike? Reply with quote

I suppose rich people don't buy used? If £20k is peanuts, why should they? Anyway for most normal folk an expensive bike is irrelevant, unless.....a lottery win, maybe? Not the jackpot, but a few hundred k. Wifey says she fancies a nice new car, why don't you have that luxury bike you have always banged on about? Okay, you could give to charity or handout to thieving relatives. But maybe she has a point. Hmmm, have always said I would not buy new - good used is better value but....let's just dabble with this rich business. So what dream bike? Well, how long is a piece of string? Price range - £15k to £20k. Let's not go mad. Sports bike, maybe. Something more practical? It's nice but I'd never spend that....well now you can, if you want. For me, mechanical eye candy - Norton, Ducati, MV maybe. Blingy Harley for when the sun's out? Kwack H2? I don't know. Maybe just enjoy sitting on them - at least now I could buy if I wanted. How about you? Is there a bike of your dreams, you'd actually love to ride over your current more modest steed? More if you'd like...£30k if that's where the real good stuff is. You might lose your mates, though. Confused

Last edited by biker7 on 10:25 - 01 Feb 2019; edited 1 time in total

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:30 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never ridden one, but I'd be tempted by an HP2 if money was no object.

https://www.mcnews.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/BMW-HP2-Sport-1.jpg

I spent some time on an S1000R blatting around Australia and absolutely loved it, which sort of has me tempted towards an HP4 or something of the sort, but realistically speaking the extra 50+ bhp would see me in trouble before too long, and the legs are a tad more relaxed on the boxer too.

HP2 for me Thumbs Up

Edit: technically you can't buy them new any more, but the HP2 would tempt me more than most new bikes that come to mind.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:45 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd probably buy the MT10 SP. They just fit me so well. Very comfy bike for my dimensions, plus it's fast and has
trick Ohlins suspension. Least fond of the colour scheme on those.
https://www.bennetts.co.uk/-/media/default-website/2017/november/yamaha-mt10sp-sr/yamaha-mt10sp-sr-feature012jpeg.ashx?h=444&w=740&la=en&hash=BF91A06F20489DE1DA70AEFCF8C4F3F3097A7D8B
Those wheels would be off for a colour change quicker than you can say powdercoater. Probably would opt for a
metallic gunmetal colour instead of "gash blue". It's pretty sensibly priced too in the scheme of things.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:48 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
"gash blue"

Is that another term for Blue Waffle?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:00 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

S1000R sport I reckon. But I wonder if it would actually be better to ride than my Street Triple. Faster? Yes, but do I need that? Nah.

I do have a bit of a soft spot for the H2SXSE but it's very heavy. If I had to buy a new bike right now to commute on it would probably be a Z1000SX. I also REALLY like the Z900RS in copper and orange... As a poseur bike I'd have one of those. Kawasaki must be doing something right for MarJay's particular proclivities.

I also quite fancy a FireBlade or an S1000RR but I'd have to pretty much have all of the above in the garage first (except maybe the SXSE).

If they could make the Suter MMX500 work on the road, I'd have one if I could afford it.

it's a weird one, because I currently have a great combination of bikes right now.

But, proper dream bike, money no object, from any era, I'd probably have a Bimota V Due, followed closely by a nice RC30.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:08 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
I'd probably buy the MT10 SP. They just fit me so well.

Nice! Fast and flickable. One of the best value luxury bikes. Perhaps a bit ordinary for 'bike snobs' but in reality you won't get a much better ride! Unless you are very tall, that is. One of my most memorable test rides. Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:10 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd stand a chance of a slightly dog-eared RC30 for that kind of money. Basically the level 99 version of the bike I have now.

It wouldn't buy a sniff of the exhaust fumes off a vincent black lightning though.

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:19 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
If I had to buy a new bike right now to commute on it would probably be a Z1000SX.

One of the best bikes I've ridden or owned. But if I won the lottery, it would have to have gold wheels. Smile It makes me think of good bikes v expensive good bikes. Perhaps rich people feel they have to 'pay through the nose'. Maybe really expensive bikes are that much better.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:27 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or...

https://img.newatlas.com/ebr-1190rx-erik-buell-racing-review.jpg?auto=format%2Ccompress&ch=Width%2CDPR&crop=entropy&fit=crop&h=347&q=60&w=616&s=7fa218b37cb34888b0fe9c3bdc7c5d50
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:55 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no single bike I particularly spooge over, for £30k I'd easily build a collection that would keep me happy until I pop my clogs.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:58 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Re: Dream bike? Reply with quote

biker7 wrote:
Is there a bike of your dreams, you'd actually love to ride over your current more modest steed?

No. Mr. Green

Genuine answer. Biking has become more about where I go on the bike I've got (nowhere at the moment Sad ).

I'm a product of my experience. I have enjoyed many different bikes, a few of which were the top of the game at the time. Been there, done that. Something has disappeared from biking for me, but other things have taken their place, so I don't feel I've really lost anything.

Oh, if I was rolling in it I'd probably try this or that, just for the experience, but I can't think of anything that will do what I want to do these days better than what I've already got. I just don't get tired of it. If you gave me a few £100k now, I'd rather spend it going places on my current bike, and doing other things.

Or I might be tempted to go back to a few old favourites, but I'd worry that it would just spoil the memories.

The new bikes don't appeal to me. I think that's more down to who I am now than the bikes themselves. Shaped by life's experiences.

Nope, just give me the money to ride my current bike more, and I'd be Very Happy
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:58 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My answer remains the same as last time this came up.

GSXR750RRK

And some race bodywork to fit when I want to ride it, not drizzle man milk all over it while it's parked in the kitchen.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4833/33071679358_05210c31ed_o.jpg

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:01 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

biker7 wrote:

One of the best value luxury bikes.

As I said in a previous post elsewhere. 15k is my absolute limit for any vehicle. Especially a bike that can totalled in a
relatively minor incident. I'm all about that value. Could afford to spend more theoretically but would rather expand my
portfolio than buy another depreciating lump of metal. I'm not so keen on sport bikes anyways looks wise although
I confess I've never ridden one, but that tucked riding position looks uncomfortable.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:09 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
For £30k I'd easily build a collection that would keep me happy until I pop my clogs.

Hmm

£3k - TDR250
£6k - Street Triple
£5k - FJR1300
£7k - S1000R
£4k - R1200S
£5k - KTM 350 EXC-F

Yeah I think I'd take that lot over the HP2

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:00 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Re: Dream bike? Reply with quote

biker7 wrote:
I suppose rich people don't buy used?

Very rich people do sometimes buy second-hand, and pay a huge amount of money.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 13:00 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

£30K!!!! I'd clear my mortgage, if I had that sort of cash knocking about! (And have change, actually! Lol)

There is no new bike, I would want to splurge even close to that kind of money on. In fact, there's almost no new bike I would want to splurge ANY money on. And more.... there aren't many, if any, new bikes I would particularly want to own, even if you gave me the thing, taxed and insured and said "Just ride it!"

Certainly not road-bikes.

The speed limits are the same, the crappy tarmac just as crappy, and Skegness just as dreary on a winter's day.... what difference would it really make to be on a BMW S1000RRRRR ah ahr whatever, or a fully loaded lit like a Christmas tree Goldie-Wing, or or or?

For the 'fun; that I know I just wouldn't get trying to live am-dram fantasies on the the public road, where I am never going to be Guy Martin at the IoM, and pottering to ASDA or Bassets, I couldn't even 'pretend'... and a BMW esS whatever, wouldn't help me in that delusion any more than a Honda 125 Duper-Seam, 'really..... similarly, a brand new Harley wouldn't make me Jax Teller in some sort of Sons-of-Apethy fantacy, a KTM Charlie Borman, and riding down corporation macaddam, probably iun the pizzing rain, to town, dodging SMISY's would rather spoil any delusion I might have of it being the Pacific-Coast-Highway or the Ghobi Desert rather quickly!!!

So?

Sticking the make-believe on the shelf.... it would rather take most of the rest of the possible fantasies, beyond 'just' the bike, with it.

£30K?

For road-racing fantacies, that is the sort of budget to set up and go do a whole seasons worth of real road racing, and some. It would allow some bikes well above my pretty novice ability, so why even try, I'd get more for my money, and get more of not the fantasy but the real-deal, going and getting something like an old ZXR600 for a few hundred, making it track-ready for a few hundred more... and then failing the ACU medical to get my licence! Maybe I could use the change to bribe the doc! Oh! I forgot this is fantasy-legue shopping... BUT, for that sort of money, rather than indulging fantasies on the public road, I could go do it for real instead.

And not just road-racing; with that kind of budget, could take a year off, and go do a top to bottom tour of North America. And could pretty much pick whatever bike to do it on. Maybe a Goldie, for the Wurlitzer Americana, or a Hardley for the all-american-dream, or something Zen & the Art of, like an old BMW, though most tempting, would be to do it on a 1948 Indian Chief, in Du-Pont Yellow... (Dont ask!).. though that may require the whole budget to get one.... Alternatively I could get something like an Enfield Bullet and riding to Delhi!

OR... doing some-thing I have never tried before, and experimenting a bit; Maybe getting a Vespa skoo-ah, for the summer, or having a crack at Grass-Track, maybe for the LOLs even grass-track side-car!

There's so many bikes, so many activities, so many 'different' things, to see and do and try, that even though I have done so many of them you might on two wheels, that 'just' changing the bike I have parked outside, and occasionally toddle to town on, REALLY wouldn't make that much of a difference to my existence.... whatever it cost!!!!

£30K..... back, I think, to the mortgage, and maybe using that change for a life-time holiday!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:02 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HP2

I'd like both of those.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:13 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any, apart from those limited more money than sense editions, top-end bikes aren't that expensive. Cars on the other hand, buying and running a Ferrari 458 would be out of reach.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:45 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the Full kit Yoshimura TL1000R's.

Id spank the tits off it just to upset people that think it should be in a museum.

That and it sounds like Thor being sucked off by Jesus while Satan fingers his butthole.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/8c/a4/82/8ca4825d8a40c2d0cdecfd4b10fc0591.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:20 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely an RC45 if you could get one within the budget:

https://www.cyclenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/1994-honda-rvf750-specifications.jpg

The thing is I don't have a clue that it would actually be the dream bike to own and kinda doubt it would be.

Otherwise, lately I've been looking at old used hayabusas, so maybe if I was rich I'd get something like that, spend money on a turbo kit and wrap myself round a tree or just never open it up.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:24 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to know how you know exactly what Thor sounds like in the situation you described? Laughing

I take it we can have special builds then of an old bike up to that value?

If so I'd like a Sanctuary built Z1300 with a Titanium 6-1 megaphone pipe and a bank of open flat slide carbs. Im not sure what sexual act performed on whom that would sound like, but it'd be incredible!

Otherwise I'd say I'd like an Aprilia SVX550 or another very special low volume supermoto like the Yamaha Rotobox 450 etc.

Realistically I've got far to many ideas for messing around with small capacity old Japanese and European lumps of junk old bikes to have a serious poster pinnacle bike of that price range.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:03 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing new really rocks my boat.
However, a GPZ750 Turbo in perfect, original condition would suit me nicely. I remember seeing it in the moto mags as a kid, and the motorsports press raving about it.
Also, the XJ650 Turbo (of 007 fame).

Don't know how much these are worth now, but pristine or very good ones probably change hands for sums comparable with the latest exotic bikes (whatever they are).
struan80 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Off Topic). Unhide this post / all posts.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:29 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

I take it we can have special builds then of an old bike up to that value?

It was a kit sold by Suzuki to allow the TL1000R to be raced when the bike was new, not a special build.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:33 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:

I'll get my coat.

Witnessed.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 87 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3