Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Handlebar to Top yoke connection - '83 XJ 750 Bobber build

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

xj750 bobber
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:13 - 17 Jan 2015    Post subject: Handlebar to Top yoke connection - '83 XJ 750 Bobber build Reply with quote

I bought a 1983 XJ750 as a project build to convert into a bobber. Actually most of the work seems to be done. The handlebars were very loose when I bought it and I think it's missing a bush or some connection between the stem and the top yoke. The guy has also put on the handlebar backwards, which I can fix. What is the part that needs to go between the toothed part of the top yoke and the stem? Or do I need to replace the whole top yoke? If so, which top yoke do I get, or will any do?

Any help would be appreciated! Please also talk in simple terms as I'm a newbie! Thanks! Smile

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9tgddkvkp4hafa3/IMG_20150111_143746.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mzqtfotklq6or3t/IMG_20150116_200945.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u14wg640bzogpnv/IMG_20150116_201000.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/giy4a26x3hxl53c/IMG_20150116_201024.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mt6aczmnxrttv80/IMG_20150116_201106.jpg?dl=0
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Iain.
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 04 Dec 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:55 - 17 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem you have is stuff like that is usually built by potato out of a mixture of broken stuff and ebay shit.

Trying to work out whats original, whats broken and what just won't work is....difficult. People usually sell stuff like it when they've realised that you can't just take a million random bits and throw them together without various custom made spacers and such to hold it all together as a useable motorcycle.

Here's the EPC diagram, but I'd be getting rid of it ASAP and starting with something that's not already been butchered Thumbs Up

https://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xj750rk-seca-1983_model8926/partslist/E-03.html#results
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

xj750 bobber
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:59 - 17 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iain. wrote:
The problem you have is stuff like that is usually built by potato out of a mixture of broken stuff and ebay shit.

Trying to work out whats original, whats broken and what just won't work is....difficult. People usually sell stuff like it when they've realised that you can't just take a million random bits and throw them together without various custom made spacers and such to hold it all together as a useable motorcycle.

Here's the EPC diagram, but I'd be getting rid of it ASAP and starting with something that's not already been butchered Thumbs Up

https://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xj750rk-seca-1983_model8926/partslist/E-03.html#results


That's what I was thinking but everything else is a good including the engine, transmission etc! and I only got it for 900$ AUD! Is it possible to just replace everything from the top yoke up? Or is it possible to just get a washer that fits the teeth on the bottom and a flat part on top?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

KLR600
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:48 - 17 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had on old XJ600 which had bars like that. The handlebars have teeth that correspond with those on the yoke so there is no part that goes between them, just the handlebar straight onto the yoke.

I'd go with either getting the teeth removed and seeing if you can fit normal bar risers to the newly flat surface or just measuring stuff up to see if you can get a different yoke to fit. Unfortunately I have no idea what yokes would fit and I sold my old XJ about 7 years ago so can't help much more.
____________________
Now: '00 Kawasaki ZRX1100R - Past: '84 Yamaha DT125, '89 Kawasaki KLR600, '97 Yamaha XJ600N
<My Bikepics Page> <My Yootoobes> <My Websites> <My Photos>
<Take Cool Photos!>
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Dec 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:14 - 17 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging by the wheels, that's based on the 750 version of the 900F, some of which did have adjustable bars, as mentioned by KLR above (the 'standard' Seca/Maxim had the spiral spoke design wheels, same as the XJ650 and various LCs).

I have a sneaky feeling the introduction of adjustable bars coincided with an increase in fork diameter (and added anti dive) but if not, then an earlier 750/900F yoke should fit, as would a normal Seca item.

Or, as suggested, have the teeth ground off, assuming everything else does the job.
____________________
Things get better with age; I'm close to being magnificent........
20 RE Interceptor, 83 Z1100A3, 83 GS650 Katana
WooHoo, I'm a Man Point Millionaire! https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=234035
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 258 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.93 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 52.42 Kb