Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Lithium batteries, you get what you pay for?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

moonzoomer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:43 - 23 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
First off - Embarassed - I forgot that of course LiFePo4 chemistry is Lithium Iron.
However, to save some face I should note that typically I believe they are heavier than Lithium Ion, but should have a significantly longer shelf life.

Not sure what's up with yours. For a while now I've been using a LiPo (lithium polymer) RC plane helicopter style battery to start my van (have got some replacement lead acid batteries for van, but want to set them up to also be used as leisure batteries.)
It's a little bit taller than a coke can, but under half the cross section and starts my 2.2td van fine.
I bought it because it claimed to have higher cranking amps and a lighter weight, frankly it is a pile of crap as the entire base of the battery casing has expanded to the extent that it looks like it is about to blow, I bought the charger/diagostic reader as well which is pretty useless as the battery is so crap it will not read the results, hence my problem with getting a replacement battery, avoid these batteries at all costs, expensive crap I would call them compared to the 28.00 quid sealed lead/acid I replaced it with.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 01:48 - 23 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should have higher cranking amps compared to a lead acid battery.

Not compared to a lithium ion, which will have even higher cranking amps and lower weight.

I would go for a LiPo for a track bike over a LiFePo4.

However, it sounds like yours is faulty.
Whether that's an issue with the battery design (which really should have decent protection etc at that price so it can handle mistreatment) or just you being unlucky I don't know.

moonzoomer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:58 - 23 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
It should have higher cranking amps compared to a lead acid battery.

Not compared to a lithium ion, which will have even higher cranking amps and lower weight.

I would go for a LiPo for a track bike over a LiFePo4.

However, it sounds like yours is faulty.
Whether that's an issue with the battery design (which really should have decent protection etc at that price so it can handle mistreatment) or just you being unlucky I don't know.
I got good reports from the local guys who used them, the cranking amps are 210 amps which is enough for a sloppy 650 twin IMO, it is after all only turning over a 325 cc single at any one time.

Iain.
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:58 - 24 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sell JMT lithium batteries.

A few of our staff use them on daily riders with no issues. They come through a lot smaller then the lead acid battery, and come with stick on sponge pads to space them out. Battery level indicator on the top is pretty trick. The weight thing is just straight up weird though...we ran the first one on an RXV550 and genuinely diddn't think it'd fire it, but absolutely zero greif with it. Have seen a YB4 sized lithium spin over a GSX750F with no greif on a customers streetfighter, he used it daily before writing it off after around six months and I can confirm it still cranked when we assessed it.

The problem is you need a specific lithium charger to charge them with off the mains & the battery voltage cannot at any point drop below a certain point without frying it. Part number for the JMP800 charger is 609.24.80, more expensive variants are availible...but if you plan on pissing £300 on a charger for home use you've got issues Laughing

Blurb from supplier about a YTX9-BS;

Quote:
Lithium-ion batteries by JMT, High-technology for your motorcycle.

The latest generation of batteries are identified by the red cover.

Spacer (S)
Batteries may be equipped with one or more spacers that are taped with adhesive tape under the battery so that the battery fits exactly into the original battery box.

Indicator (I)
All batteries are equipped with a battery condition indicator.
Simply press the test button. When all three blue LEDs light up the battery is fully charged(ful). If it lights only 2 LEDs, it is only half charged (med). When only one LED is lit (low), the battery must be charged immediately.

Replacing a standard lead-acid battery by a JMT lithium-ion batter can save you up to up to 5 kg in weight with minimum effort.

JMT lithium-ion batteries have the following benefits:
- About 1/3 of the weight of comparable lead acid battery
- Unbeatable ratio of cost/weight savings
- Can be mounted in any position - no acid spillage
- Does not contain heavy metals
- Balanced discharge/charge of all cells by the integral balancer
- Fast charging with high ampage systems (up to 90% fully charged in only 6 minutes)
- Very low self-discharge - long shelf life (up to 5% per month)
- Excellent performance at high temperatures (even up to
60° C)
- Safe technology and high durability

Lead-acid batteries only use 30% of their capacity
whilst nearly 100% of the capacity of lithium-ion batteries is used. For this reason, lithium versions of JMT batteries need only 1/3 of the capacity of a comparable lead-acid battery for the same starting power.

A uniform charging of all the cells is ensured by a built-in processor (the "balancer").

The dimensions of the lithium-ion batteries (using adapters where necessary)correspond to the dimensions of the original lead-acid batteries and the connections are identical, thus the battery can be replaced easily in a few minutes.

*** IMPORTANT ***

Please note that only suitable battery chargers are used, such as the JMP 800, JMP 4000 or the corresponding workshop equipment. Please ensure that a compatible charger is used as a wrong charger will invalidate the 2 year warranty.

For fast charging, we recommend the JMP 30000 workshop unit. With this a lithium-ion battery can be charged up to 90% within 6 minutes. For the maximum recommended charging currents please refer to the technical data below.

In no case must chargers be use that have a de-sulphate mode for deeply discharged batteries (i.e showing 10 volts or less) These chargers use an output of more than 14.9 volts before they begin the actual charging cycle.
The maximum charging voltage of 14.9 volts must not be exceeded in any case, as in extreme circumstances there can be a danger of explosion.

Although this lightweight battery is extremely suitable for everyday use, it should be noted that the starting capacity is reduced at temperatures below zero degrees Celsius.

Technology - JMT lithium-ion batteries are manufactured using a cathode material of iron phosphate (LiFePO4) and lithium-polymer.

The technology and the manufacturing process ensure the highest safety standard for lithium batteries.

- 12 V maintenance-free lithium-ion battery
- Energy 36 Wh
- Dimensions in mm 150x87x105
- Recommended charging current 1.5 A
- Maximum charging current for fast charging 15 A
- Weight 0.6 kg
- Starting current 180 A

Comparable in dimensions and connections with:
Yuasa Fact.-No. YTX9-BS
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

cb1rocket
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 24 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

why the special mains charger?

Doesn't the built in protection circuit protects from frying itself?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:06 - 24 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iain. wrote:
the battery voltage cannot at any point drop below a certain point without frying it.

The built in protection circuitry should handle this; very poor if it doesn't.
Also, you can get deecent enough lithium chargers (that will also do lead acid etc too) for £20.
But, if it works with a bike's charging system, it should also work with a normal bike charger.

Iain.
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:32 - 24 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea.

Never questioned it, if the manual says use a specific charger or shits gonna catch fire I'm required to reccomend the use of said charger.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:51 - 24 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand if the inbuilt circuitry cant regulate/rectify 240V and can only handle a small DC range based around 12V. But surely that just means the off the bike charger has to be a simple 12V power brick.

Edit: Just looked up the charger and it appears that it is 50 quid, also charges lead and comes with a permanent pigtail for the bike. so seems a bit more reasonable.

moonzoomer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:48 - 24 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iain. wrote:
No idea.

Never questioned it, if the manual says use a specific charger or shits gonna catch fire I'm required to reccomend the use of said charger.
The chargers do not connect to the battery terminals but plug into the side of the battery itself, My lithium battery has a 5 pin connector for the charger located between the two battery terminals, this is were the overload/safety circuitry is and will only operate if the battery is charged from this connection.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:57 - 24 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonzoomer wrote:
My lithium battery has a 5 pin connector for the charger located between the two battery terminals, this is were the overload/safety circuitry is and will only operate if the battery is charged from this connection.

Are you sure?
So there's no safety circuitry from the main connector's to the bike for over/under voltage? Very silly if that's the case.

moonzoomer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:11 - 24 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
moonzoomer wrote:
My lithium battery has a 5 pin connector for the charger located between the two battery terminals, this is were the overload/safety circuitry is and will only operate if the battery is charged from this connection.

Are you sure?
So there's no safety circuitry from the main connector's to the bike for over/under voltage? Very silly if that's the case.
Than seems to be the problem with these batteries, people think they can charge them via the normal terminals which they cannot, at the same time what is to say a small problem with the bikes charging circuitry is going to destroy them as well. I can only assume there is some form of thermal safety circuity in place via the 5 pin connector similar to that on the normal 3 terminal cordless drill batteries which could explain why my battery was swollen at the bottom.

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:50 - 24 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious as to what's inside now. But not worth the outlay just to tear it apart.

If there is actually no proper BMS in them that would be a proper fail.

moonzoomer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:37 - 24 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aff wrote:
I'm curious as to what's inside now. But not worth the outlay just to tear it apart.

If there is actually no proper BMS in them that would be a proper fail.
I cannot see the battery manufacturers installing the safety features directly to the main terminals as these features could cause damage to the bikes charging circuitry, the extra 3 connections on the mains chargers output are there for a good reason which is fine but the bikes charging circuit does not have the same features as the mains charger. I firmly believe my battery failed under the bikes normal charging conditions which makes be think these batteries are only suitable for total loss racing machines with no charging circuit.

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:49 - 24 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonzoomer wrote:
I cannot see the battery manufacturers installing the safety features directly to the main terminals as these features could cause damage to the bikes charging circuitry, the extra 3 connections on the mains chargers output are there for a good reason which is fine but the bikes charging circuit does not have the same features as the mains charger. I firmly believe my battery failed under the bikes normal charging conditions which makes be think these batteries are only suitable for total loss racing machines with no charging circuit.

If there truly is no BMS in the battery, this would be inevitable. You cant just dump widely varying voltage into lithiums like you can with Lead.

Would you be willing to post me your dead battery if I pay postage?

moonzoomer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:02 - 24 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aff wrote:

Certainly, this is a Lithium -Iron battery not Lithium -ion by the way. PM and I will send it, I would also be interested to hear your findings as the battery reads perfect on voltage but would not run a damned thing.

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:15 - 24 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonzoomer wrote:
Aff wrote:

Certainly, this is a Lithium -Iron battery not Lithium -ion by the way. PM and I will send it, I would also be interested to hear your findings as the battery reads perfect on voltage but would not run a damned thing.

Cheers I will send you a PM.

I am wondering if they went to the added expense of putting LiFePo4 cells in there just so they could leave out on the protection knowing they wouldn't turn anyones balls to ash.

If you over volt a LiIon or LiPo it explodes in a firey ball of destruction. LiFePo4's just swell and don't do anything.

moonzoomer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:29 - 24 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aff wrote:

If you over volt a LiIon or LiPo it explodes in a firey ball of destruction. LiFePo4's just swell and don't do anything.
My battery has swollen along the bottom but read volts perfect on a meter yet read non existent on the dedicated 5 pin charger.

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:16 - 28 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Moonzoomer kindly sent out the dead battery and I took it apart tonight.

It's hard to show on the camera but the bottom is considerably bowed.

https://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m637/Biles/IMG_0210_zpsifune5x8.jpg

This pic shows the connections, two standard terminals and a JST balance port in the middle. This doesn't look promising on the on board BMS front.

https://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m637/Biles/IMG_0211_zps99cfmc1f.jpg

Was easy enough to break the top free with a chisel. Inside is what I expected, a board for the JST balance connector and the main power wires (2 pairs of 12AWG). The cells look to be standard pouch cells.

https://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m637/Biles/IMG_0212_zpsf9pebpoz.jpg

https://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m637/Biles/IMG_0213_zpsqmtd29zc.jpg

The case was very sturdy and hard to get into, the cells were held in with a very strong, solid epoxy. I managed to cut one of the sides off so that I could lever out the cells.

https://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m637/Biles/IMG_0214_zpsshyyrqmy.jpg

The epoxy didn't break, it just ripped the heatshrink off the cells.

https://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m637/Biles/IMG_0215_zps3aosrlck.jpg

They were rather puffy.Laughing

https://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m637/Biles/IMG_0216_zpsiajoakmf.jpg

As I cut the bondage tape holding them together they exploded apart with a loud bang. There was a lot of built up pressure.

https://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m637/Biles/IMG_0217_zpsu4ootcag.jpg

As you can see NO BMS!!

https://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m637/Biles/IMG_0218_zpsdbtew5gu.jpg

https://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m637/Biles/IMG_0219_zpsuu1xtuge.jpg

So the configuration is 4S2P (~2Ah cells). With LiFePo4's that means a hot voltage of 14.6V, so they are obviously trying to get away without a Battery Management System by having the hot voltage "lower" than the output of the bike. This is a terrible idea. These cells would have been getting a massivly varying voltage, likely higher than they needed fairly often, so its no wonder they died.

I will update with some charging results later, but imaging they are all very dead after their ordeal.

I cant believe this company is charging so much for this. It is badly designed and it would be surprising if any of the ones they sold, that went on a bike with a charging system, lasted more than a month.

It would cost hardly anything to put a BMS on this. But I suppose then they couldn't charge 50 quid for their charger. Rolling Eyes

Also the battery says 210CCA and I'm pretty sure these arent going to be 60C cells, more likely to be cheap Chinese crap so actually starting the bike was probably killing them too.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:11 - 28 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really poor show, then - considering how much a 5ah 4s 30c lipo would cost you, which would handle the voltage better and so have less need for a BMW.

moonzoomer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:00 - 28 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was expecting at least some kind of thermal protection internally, I doubt if these batteries are suitable for anything other than a hand held torch.

Iain.
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 11:03 - 29 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not a JMT battery. Unsure what charger required for that. Confused

JMT batteries don't have the plug to charge from, you charge from the standard connectors. The JMT also has a battery test indicator in the top of it.

If I get a dead one I'll dismantle it, but so far I've had no failiures even over winter.

moonzoomer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:25 - 29 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iain. wrote:
That's not a JMT battery. Unsure what charger required for that. Confused

JMT batteries don't have the plug to charge from, you charge from the standard connectors. The JMT also has a battery test indicator in the top of it.

If I get a dead one I'll dismantle it, but so far I've had no failiures even over winter.
this type, looks like something that was thrown together in a garden shed.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shorai-Lithium-Iron-Battery-Charger-Maintainer/dp/B0056J2ZGC
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 49 days between these two posts...

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:45 - 18 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the JMT ones have the balancer built in:

"For this reason, the lithium batteries for JMT versions of the same start power need only one third of the capacity of a comparable lead-acid battery.
A uniform charge state of all cells is also ensured by a built-in processor ("Balancer").
The dimensions of the lithium-ion batteries using adapters correspond to the dimensions of the original lead-acid batteries.
The connections are identical, so the battery can be replaced without further adjustments in a few minutes."

I find it hard to believe some cunt can legally sell a lithium bike battery without a required balancer circuit, it's basically a time-bomb sitting under your balls.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 226 days between these two posts...

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:24 - 31 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to dig this up from the dead, but has anyone ever checked the JMT batteries to confirm the presence of a charge control circuit?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 176 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2